Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
First metric century today! A little bit rainy, but mid 60s was a great temp. A buddy did the ride with me hungover so we took a chill pace, especially in the headwinds, and it made for a fun ride. We went out a took a loop around a local lake before going further out to the next town and then back home. People looking at you like you're crazy showing up at a gas station in the middle of nowhere on a bike is always fun. They had loving bomb homemade apple fritters. A+, would bike again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

CheddarGoblin posted:

I finally got a HRM and have worn it on my last two rides and I'm a little concerned about my heart rate - 166 avg, 186 max. This seems really high, right?? Am I going to kill myself? Resting rate is 51bpm, and I'm 41 years old.

Unless you have have reason to suspect it's outside of normal, those numbers in isolation are not alarming. I know 50 year olds who hit high 190s.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Oct 10, 2021

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
i’m 36 and can hit 200, you’re fine

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

CheddarGoblin posted:

I finally got a HRM and have worn it on my last two rides and I'm a little concerned about my heart rate - 166 avg, 186 max. This seems really high, right?? Am I going to kill myself? Resting rate is 51bpm, and I'm 41 years old.

Totes normal, those are my kind of numbers when I'm feeling good and getting after it a bit harder than normal but not killing myself by any means. In my mid 30s but still.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
Thanks for the reassurances, it was just kind of startling when comparing my numbers with random riders on Strava who have a much lower HR despite being faster than me. But eventually I starting finding ones closer to my own. Seems it's just a highly variable thing and the 220-age rule is not super relevant.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CheddarGoblin posted:

Thanks for the reassurances, it was just kind of startling when comparing my numbers with random riders on Strava who have a much lower HR despite being faster than me. But eventually I starting finding ones closer to my own. Seems it's just a highly variable thing and the 220-age rule is not super relevant.

Yep. 220-age is wrong for more people than it's right for. I'm 41 and have hit 207 this year.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

CheddarGoblin posted:

There are two ways to get faster:

1) Efficiency based gains (aero, rolling resistance, reducing drivetrain friction, etc)
2) Increased fitness

Just keep riding your bike and your avg speed at a given HR will increase.

And yes, 220 minus your age is ballpark, but it’s like the Polo Grounds of ballpark.

CheddarGoblin
Jan 12, 2005
oh
That's a good point. My bike is heavyish with 38mm tires and an 8-speed Alfine hub that I effectively spin out at ~23mph with so I leave a lot on the table in terms of speed when I'm going downhill or downwind at all. This all despite being in probably the best shape of my life thanks to covid biking.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I managed 3 kph faster average speed on today's ride

Metrics feel good man

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

CheddarGoblin posted:

Thanks for the reassurances, it was just kind of startling when comparing my numbers with random riders on Strava who have a much lower HR despite being faster than me.
This is a bit counterintuitive but a lot of the time it's because they're fitter than you so can perform as well or better without exerting themselves as much.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
My average speed on a 50mi ride has gone down a good 0.5mph or more this year. I think it's probably because of the 20lbs I put on during the pandemic (less trips to the store + being sick of cooking means more frozen pizzas or nuggets for dinner, lol). I'm still on pace to do just as many miles as last year (3500), but with the extra weight it's just taking longer each ride. I need to start counting calories again.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

This is a longshot, but does anyone in here have a Retrospec Lenox hitch bicycle carrier that hey no longer use? I am looking to replace the shank part

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

CheddarGoblin posted:

I average around there and max out higher, you should be fine. Some of us just run high.

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009
I'm trying to find a new set of tires for the wheels on my bike. They came with pretty narrow (25mm) and slick (CONTINENTAL Ultra Sport II) tires that I want to replace with something that can at least sort of handle crushed limestone. The specific wheels are DT Swiss P1800 Spline 23's. I'll probably end up using them 80% on pavement and 20% on crushed limestone, and it looks like the maximum clearance I have between my narrow forks is just under 32mm. Would 28mm gravel kings make sense or is there something closer to 30mm nominal?

Appreciate any help, I realize I'm sort of trying to make my road bike into something it isn't, but I really really like it and feel like an actual gravel bike would be overkill.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
My HR will be in the 160s for 17mph at like 70-80 RPM and 170-180 for 20ish mph at the same cadence (I can't do that for very long though without a some friends with me).

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
There's honestly too many variables involved to compare your own HR against your speed. If it's hot, my HR goes up fort any given effort. If there's wind, my speed will change at any given HR. If I've ridden a lot of endurance over the past couple days, then my HR will generally stay lower due to my heart being fatigued,

Only thing you can do is look at long term trends for HR vs power (real power measured with a power meter, not a Strava estimate) vs interval where you can strip out other variables.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Bishop Beo posted:

I'm trying to find a new set of tires for the wheels on my bike. They came with pretty narrow (25mm) and slick (CONTINENTAL Ultra Sport II) tires that I want to replace with something that can at least sort of handle crushed limestone. The specific wheels are DT Swiss P1800 Spline 23's. I'll probably end up using them 80% on pavement and 20% on crushed limestone, and it looks like the maximum clearance I have between my narrow forks is just under 32mm. Would 28mm gravel kings make sense or is there something closer to 30mm nominal?

There's a decent number of slicks at 30c, but I dunno how many measure to 30mm:
https://www.modernbike.com/700c-tires+tire-widthis30

Plenty of 32c tires measure to 30mm or thereabouts. How much protection do you need?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Bishop Beo posted:

Appreciate any help, I realize I'm sort of trying to make my road bike into something it isn't, but I really really like it and feel like an actual gravel bike would be overkill.

you 100% want marathon plus, I have 25s on my road bike and use them on gravel and pavement, but you can go up to 28-30mm. What the decider would be is price and availability

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
You don't need gravel tyres for a crushed limestone surface. Just use any regular road 28/30mm slicks and you'll be fine. Doubly so if you go with tubeless.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Vando posted:

You don't need gravel tyres for a crushed limestone surface. Just use any regular road 28/30mm slicks and you'll be fine. Doubly so if you go with tubeless.
Spoken as someone who hasn't pulled shards out of their expensive sticky tires after a gravel section.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

evil_bunnY posted:

Spoken as someone who hasn't pulled shards out of their expensive sticky tires after a gravel section.

If there's shards that would penetrate a road tyre they'll penetrate most gravel tyres as well unless you go for some giant armoured monstrosity, which doesn't seem appropriate for only 20% of the time.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
They are on pavement and gravel though? Slick Road tyres ain’t going to be hugely fun on that in winter.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
If it's well maintained (ie. actual limestone throughout and not a dirt base coming through everywhere) there won't be any muddy sections or anything. Even if wet a limestone surface will be absolutely fine on a wide slick.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Well I was cruising gumtree and came across this beauty for $25

Hello new beater bike

Needs a new chain, but it's cleaned up well

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

TobinHatesYou posted:

There's honestly too many variables involved to compare your own HR against your speed. If it's hot, my HR goes up fort any given effort. If there's wind, my speed will change at any given HR. If I've ridden a lot of endurance over the past couple days, then my HR will generally stay lower due to my heart being fatigued,

Only thing you can do is look at long term trends for HR vs power (real power measured with a power meter, not a Strava estimate) vs interval where you can strip out other variables.

Its one of the reasons why riding to heart rate is a very vague way of measuring improvement in fitness. I've had rides where I've been in the 160's when the week before I was around 150 for the same 'effort' and that was entirely down to not looking after myself very well that week and maybe having a bit of a cold.

Its better than average speed, but still needs to be looked at in the broader sense as you said.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Bishop Beo posted:

28mm gravel kings or 33mm shikoros

shikoros run notoriously small and 33 should be drat close to 30-31ish, but they’re a great all around tire

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Bicycle Megathread 5: Aging Millennials Comparing Max Heartrates

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

There's a decent number of slicks at 30c, but I dunno how many measure to 30mm:
https://www.modernbike.com/700c-tires+tire-widthis30

Plenty of 32c tires measure to 30mm or thereabouts. How much protection do you need?
I've had the bike for about 4 years and haven't had any punctures yet on the paved trails I ride. So unless the crushed limestone is way harsher, I don't think I'd need an ultra puncture resistant tire.

learnincurve posted:

you 100% want marathon plus, I have 25s on my road bike and use them on gravel and pavement, but you can go up to 28-30mm. What the decider would be is price and availability
Price isn't really a huge concern for these. Nothing that's like $200/pair or whatnot, but most bike tires I've seen seem pretty reasonably priced.

learnincurve posted:

They are on pavement and gravel though? Slick Road tyres ain’t going to be hugely fun on that in winter.
Good point! I don't usually ride when it gets below about 45 degrees F, so I'm not too concerned with winter performance. My current tires SUCK when pavement gets wet because of how slick they are at this point, so being able to handle normal temperature wet surfaces would be great.

One other thing, I'm currently running tubes but my wheels are apparently tubeless compatible. My spouse has tubeless on their Contend and the only difference I've seen so far is that tubes don't need goop every 4-6 months and retain air much better week over week. That's all on paved, so if tubeless really shines on rougher surfaces then I am totally happy to switch over to tubeless. Really appreciate the help y'all!

EDIT:

e.pilot posted:

28mm gravel kings or 33mm shikoros

shikoros run notoriously small and 33 should be drat close to 30-31ish, but they’re a great all around tire

Those shikoros look pretty great actually, thanks!

Bishop Beo fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Oct 11, 2021

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Bishop Beo posted:

One other thing, I'm currently running tubes but my wheels are apparently tubeless compatible. My spouse has tubeless on their Contend and the only difference I've seen so far is that tubes don't need goop every 4-6 months and retain air much better week over week. That's all on paved, so if tubeless really shines on rougher surfaces then I am totally happy to switch over to tubeless. Really appreciate the help y'all!

Tubeless lets you run much lower pressure for much better comfort on rough stuff, and it additionally solves most briar/thorn/flint-related punctures. If neither of these are a problem then tubes are cool too.

meltie fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Oct 11, 2021

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

e.pilot posted:

What about Gen Xers and resting HRs?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

e.pilot posted:

Rude - but true.

Haven't seen much trip report posting from you recently - have you been able to get out for rides on the Bike Friday while working?

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Sab0921 posted:

Rude - but true.

Haven't seen much trip report posting from you recently - have you been able to get out for rides on the Bike Friday while working?

Nothing super interesting, fighting burnout/sadbrains and doing some TTs and cross races.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Holy poo poo that is a good looking minivelo.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
dick wood goes hard

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

meltie posted:

Tubeless lets you run much lower pressure for much better comfort on rough stuff, and it additionally solves most briar/thorn/flint-related punctures. If neither of these are a problem then tubes are cool too.

For road, I don’t get enough punctures with tubes (0.5 per year on average) to bother changing anything, but people in my club have had nightmares with tubeless, admittedly as they don’t know the ropes / have the right equipment.

- Some people (for road) need or want pressures that are higher than tubeless sealant works well with e.g. just for rider weight reasons. The recommended pressures on the Silca tyre pressure calculator page work fine with tubes anyway.

- Seemingly only a few kinds of sealant actually work well at road pressures. Stans does not. Whatever Giant shops put in their wheels does not.

- To seal anything the sealant doesn’t fix magically, you need plugs. Again, most types don’t hold at road tyre pressures. You need dynaplugs.

- I’ve seen people offer to help an inexperienced rider change a flat, then withdraw their offer when they discover it’s a tubeless setup and they will get covered in goo.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
counterpoint: orange seal in road tubeless slaps and mounting is easy with a compressor

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
What insane pressures are they using?? Max 4 bar/60 psi with Stan's works great for me with a 32mm tyre, and my TCR came with 7 bar/25mm tubeless setup and sealing and such works fine? Those are the recommended maximum pressures from the tire manufacturer by the way.
There's no reason to go higher anyway, rolling resistance will only increase because of the reduced compliance over bumpy surfaces. On bad roads 2-3 bar is excellent.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

wooger posted:

For road

I don’t get enough punctures with tubes (0.5 per year on average) to bother changing anything

meltie posted:

on rough stuff

If neither of these are a problem then tubes are cool too.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Anyone know where I can find a 27.2 version of this? Finally reincarnating a retro-mod build that's been sitting in my attic for two years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
My canyon commuter has a lot of front disc rub problems I'm trying to solve. It has hydraulic brakes but a QR axle (:argh:), and for some reason (this is probably the core issue) the hub seems to shift over time, moving more to the left. The tightness of the QR seems to be a big factor, so perhaps it's loosening and allowing the wheel to shift a bit in the dropout.

I could reposition the caliper, but then I would just be allowing the wheel to sit off centre. Otherwise I can just keep resetting the wheel, but I have to do this every week or two at the moment which seems stupid. I'm also worried that any movement in the dropouts is going to cause them to wear away and make this problem even worse. Any ideas on the best course of action are much appreciated

This just seems like the standard QR+disc brake nightmare though, I probably wouldn't have gone for this bike if I knew it had QR for the fork

Heliosicle fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Oct 12, 2021