Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Uramachi Sakaba

Chako

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

chako fuckin rules

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Jazz and A.W.O.L, that's our team
Step inside the party, disrupt the whole scene
When it comes to beats, well, I'm a fiend

Haifisch posted:

The Lockhorns

(I'd edit it to swap sugar and cream around, but, at work :()

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Nancy 1946

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

maltesh posted:

I previously theorized that the tickets were acquired by Kevin's Mom, Kevin's dad acquiesced to the arrangement, but bailed on them at the last minute.

My opinions on what's going on here have flipped 180°. I think the mascot is Kevin's dad. He did obtain the tickets, but he also did have to work on the night of the match, and doesn't want anyone to know he's the mascot. He's staying silent so that Miles' Dad doesn't recognize him.

My guess is that the mascot is the wrestler they snuck into the dressing rooms to see

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

Hell, that's how I pick wine, too, Ted.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Zereth posted:

My guess is that the mascot is the wrestler they snuck into the dressing rooms to see

Yeah, that was my guess also. I shouldn't be surprised, because it's a good comic, but I'm very invested in these boys having the best day ever. :3:

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Zereth posted:

Yeah, that would also be consistent and possibly makes more sense. I hadn't thought of that. I just thought this might be a good spot for Kevin's dad to do a face turn, if that was going to happen.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Huge plot twist: it's both

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
So I've been reading Harpo Speaks!, the autobiography of Harpo Marx, when I came across this passage that might be of intrest to the readers in this thread. It takes place in 1928, a year Harpo spent on the French Rivera with his friend Alexander Woollcott. One evening Harpo ended up visiting Peggy Hopkins Joynce an American actress who had villa there.

Harpo Marx posted:

Then she surprised me. She rang for the butler. She said to him, "You may bring my books now." The butler bowed and left the room.

Books? I didn't get it. Dirty books maybe?

The butler returned. He laid a stack of six books in my lap, bowed, and departed. The Books were beautifully bound in hand-tooled leather. I looked at the titles. The titles were: "Mutt and Jeff," "Bringin Up Father," "Krazy Kat," "Tillie the Toiler," "Barney Google," and "The Katzenjammer Kids." They were collections of comic strips – not the dirty kind, but the kind that appeared in the funny papers.

Peggy Gave a little giggle and curled up on the divan with her head on my shoulder. "Read to me Harpo," she purred.

I read.

I read though the whole drat stack of comic books, beginning to end. Peggy Hopkins Joyce didn't know how to read, but she sure knew her literature. She knew it by heart. Whenever I made the slightest mistake, she corrected me.

The first mistake I made was to leave out the sound effects in a sequence where Jiggs came home late from playing poker and eating corned beef and cabbage and got waylaid by Maggie with her rolling pin.

"No, no!" Peggy howled, interrupting me. "You didn't read it all! You didn't read the 'Bam! Bang! Sock! Pow!' part!" I backtracked and read the bam-bang-sock-and-pow part and she was happy again.

I caught hell for leaving out a couple of glubs, half a dozen zowies, and a flock of zams, ulps and gulps, but otherwise I managed to struggle through the books without a hitch. And all the time Peggy kept tittering and squealing and fiddling with her toes and squirming all over the divan. No doubt about it. She was having her fun.

When I closed the covers on the sixth and final volume, I was exhausted. I stood and said that I'd enjoyed the dinner and thanks very much but it was getting late and I'd better be heading back to Galanon.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Yo Harpo, Peggy was clearly DTF.

Also, uhhhhhhhhh Kobe-era Boondocks is baaaaaaad, holy poo poo.

BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Vargo posted:

Wallace

One thing I like about this strip is the fact that the kids act like kids. They don't have university-level vocabularies or deal with adult-like problems.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The_Other posted:

So I've been reading Harpo Speaks!, the autobiography of Harpo Marx, when I came across this passage that might be of intrest to the readers in this thread. It takes place in 1928, a year Harpo spent on the French Rivera with his friend Alexander Woollcott. One evening Harpo ended up visiting Peggy Hopkins Joynce an American actress who had villa there.
And mercifully he died 15 years before Foob entered the scene.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

The_Other posted:

I haven't read that myself, but I understand Harpo had a few thoughts about Neysa (Deathless Deer) McMein too.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

I think this is the first Overboard I've actually laughed at

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Sep. 14, 1947)

I love Val immediately going full loving dork dad. :3:

~Coxy posted:

Nancy 1946

:yeah:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

riderchop posted:

Heathcliff

It's true!
Reminds me of one of my favorite sculptures at the Hirshhorn in DC.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

"Threatening people's beloved pets, taking people for granted and throwing them away on a whim, sandwiches—the usual stuff."

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
In today's Blueberry: The general U.S. population getting riled up over almost nothing whatsoever into murderous mobs? Say it ain't so!, or Jethro learns the hard way that you can't take it with you, or Blueberry appeals to the better nature of the people of Julesburg

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Murdstone posted:

Reminds me of one of my favorite sculptures at the Hirshhorn in DC.

Yeah, I was trying to figure out if this guy was a reference to a real artist. The closest I could find to that style was Botero, but he was just a teenager when the strip came out.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003

The camera isn't in case YOU do something. Also this cop shouldn't have it off in the first place.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Boomery misinformation, in MY Dustin?

Also, not sure how I feel about the wacky/ surreal turn Zits is taking

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Between the UFO and now the sloth plot, Zits seems to be taking a turn for the surreal lately.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
"If only them uppity nnnnnnnnn......urban people would just tell them cops that they're not planning anything suspicious, the cops would totally leave them alone!".

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Funny Online Animals

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogor

Classic Cat

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

My friend doesn't understand what that thing crawling to the door is.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "314 - Jucika And Safety"

"315 - Jucika Designs A Textile Pattern"

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Drimble Wedge posted:

Good news: me neither. Check back Thursday.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Drimble Wedge posted:

I think it's just meant to be a generic gross monster thing, and not anything specific

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! October 21, 1918

Outbursts of Everett True November 26, 1918

Gay and Her Gang November 26, 1929

Oaky Doaks April 28, 1936

Mopsy July 6, 1937

Up Front August 10, 1944

Dark Laughter March 5, 1949

Those Were the Days September 20, 1956

Wee Pals January 18, 1966

Dogbert July 6, 1966

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!

Drimble Wedge posted:

It's the first in a series of strips, so for now it's just a weird crawling thing

rannum posted:

I think it's just meant to be a generic gross monster thing, and not anything specific

Shows what I get for not refreshing before clicking Reply!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Drimble Wedge posted:

Cold and hungry out there.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Slammy posted:

Those Were the Days September 20, 1956

This is like the third TWtD in a row that does "But Now! WOW!" for "women are actually doing things" and I'm beginning to think Art Beeman is less "mad about it" and more "horny for it."

Also I welcome the surreal Zits, and that Dustin can go gently caress itself right to hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Pearls Before Another Deep, Agitated Sigh

Skippy (February 12, 1934)

Peanuts, in which Linus does his best impersonation of Newspaper Spider-Man. (October 15, 1974)

Funky Winkerbean

Yes, We ARE Stuck With Ed And The One-Man Newspaper At Montoni's This Week. Thanks For Noticing.

Benitin y Eneas

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (May 13, 1938)

Out Our Way (July 26-28, 1937; spoiler for the usual reasons)

Toonerville Folks (March 11-13, 1918)

Dok's "Monroe Doctrine" Duck (October 27, 1913)

October 11, 1913, from the Wikipedia timeline: "The day after President Victoriano Huerta dissolved parliament in Mexico, Britain's Sir Lionel Carden greeted the President as the new British Minister to Mexico, which the United States inferred to be a British attempt to gain Huerta's alliance." Shame on you, Britain. Anyone in the US government in 1913 could tell you that tampering with Mexican politics is a Washington job.

Little Lefty (July 1-3, 1935)

Blondie (From Zero) (March 19-21, 1931)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Oct 13, 2021