Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The Notorious ZSB posted:

No one really thinks Kentucky will hang with Georgia do they? Do they?

If the Levis from the last game is present for the UGA game then UK has a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Joey Freshwater posted:

https://twitter.com/JaredDLee/status/1447667048117465090?s=20

I am so hype for UT Ole Miss to be a 100 point game that I just know I'm gonna be disappointed and it's gonna be like 13-7

I knew ISU was going to be low on that list because Matt Campbell tends to play things pretty conservatively, and it drives me nuts sometimes. LOL at Iowa at the bottom though. Ferentz never saw a punt opportunity he didn't like.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Bird in a Blender posted:

I knew ISU was going to be low on that list because Matt Campbell tends to play things pretty conservatively, and it drives me nuts sometimes. LOL at Iowa at the bottom though. Ferentz never saw a punt opportunity he didn't like.

I bet there were a few good times for Iowa to go for it on Saturday and right when everyone assumed the offense was ready to stay on the field, a dark cloud formed over Kirk's head and he said in like six voices "No. Give me a PUNT."

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
"Go for it" territory is exactly the same as "Tory Taylor is going to drop the punt at the 4" territory, and Kirk trusts the defense/special teams more than the offense.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

That OSU-Sparty game a few years back wasn't quite enough, but mark my words, a Big Ten game will soon have enough punts to spawn a new Chaos god.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Pook Good Mook posted:

He will never singlehandedly lose a game

He definitely lost two last year

Iowa had been much better about going for it when the offense was slightly more functional and the punter was bad but this year the offense is so all or nothing that they almost never have a like 4th and 2 or something and Taylor and the coverage team are so good it's hard to pass up pining the other team at the 2

MourningView fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 12, 2021

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Taerkar posted:

If the Levis from the last game is present for the UGA game then UK has a chance.

The LSU defense didn’t show up which enabled him to do all that stuff though.

Maybe it’s a confidence builder though.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Cthulu Carl posted:

That OSU-Sparty game a few years back wasn't quite enough, but mark my words, a Big Ten game will soon have enough punts to spawn a new Chaos god.

You'll have to be more specific on which 17-16 OSU-Sparty game you mean.

The 2009 Ohio State-Iowa game that decided the conference championship was close. I'll always remember Stewart Mandel's column afterwards, he was just disgusted.

Stewart Mandel posted:

For those keeping score at home, that's five straight Big Ten titles for Jim Tressel's program, seven BCS trips in eight years and a fourth straight January in which the men from Columbus will try to end the notion that they and their Midwest brethren are prehistoric dinosaurs, incapable of playing with the big boys.

Saturday's game was not a ringing endorsement.

Knowing full well Iowa's limited offensive capabilities, Tressel played things so close to his trademark sweater vest you could see the intricacies of its knitting.

maybe just a couple more passes? Preferably thrown across the first-down marker?

Ohio State took over shortly thereafter -- and made almost no attempt to go for the win.

Do you like third and 9 handoffs? Dumpoffs to the fullback? Punting? Get used to it. The Buckeyes are back in the BCS -- and unless someone else in this conference cares to rise up, they'll probably be returning for the foreseeable future.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

hobbesmaster posted:

The LSU defense didn’t show up which enabled him to do all that stuff though.

Maybe it’s a confidence builder though.

Yeah, the miserable failure that was LSU that game certainly helped. But like I said there's a chance. Not necessarily a good one, but still a chance.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Bird in a Blender posted:

We joke about Ferentz and punting, but after Saturday night, Tory Taylor is living rent-free in my head.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Taerkar posted:

Yeah, the miserable failure that was LSU that game certainly helped. But like I said there's a chance. Not necessarily a good one, but still a chance.

Then again Bama’s defense just randomly didn’t show up last week so there’s a chance!

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Spacemonkey57 posted:

The 2009 Ohio State-Iowa game that decided the conference championship was close. I'll always remember Stewart Mandel's column afterwards, he was just disgusted.

I'm thinking of the one from like 2018? I dunno, time loses meaning. I think Urbz was still in charge.

It was the one where Drue Chrisman was landing balls around the 5 so consistently, Michigan State took an intentional safety on a punt to give themselves better field position after the next OSU punt and Chrisman dropped the ball inside the 5 so Sparty started further back than the intentional safety drive.

It's just burned in my head because I'd never seen a punter named as player the game by the announcing crew, but they had literally no one else they could get highlights of. Just a joyless slog that broke my brain.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Teams look invincible til they don't; before Saturday people were saying "well 2007 didn't have two dominant teams like Alabama and Georgia" so I wouldn't put any wagers on Georgia rolling to the title yet

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
https://twitter.com/GabeBrkic/status/1447621970657517568

NIL is a blessing

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Spacemonkey57 posted:

Joke's on him--that team beat the poo poo out of an Oregon team that they had no business beating because Pryor finally kind of figured some things out. Urban got hired and did the same poo poo with even better talent.

Jesus christ Nick Siciliano was the QB coach back then

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

TheGreyGhost posted:

Joke's on him--that team beat the poo poo out of an Oregon team that they had no business beating because Pryor finally kind of figured some things out. Urban got hired and did the same poo poo with even better talent.

Jesus christ Nick Siciliano was the QB coach back then

Turns out having your entire coaching staff be peter principle guys or nepotism hires wasn't good. This is what I think sets Saban apart from everyone else, he never ends up with his idiot golfing buddy coordinating the offense.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

SquirrelyPSU posted:

We joke about Ferentz and punting, but after Saturday night, Tory Taylor is living rent-free in my head.

Yeah, I was actually getting excited when he was called to punt since you could just see the life sucked out of PSU's sideline every time.

e: a word missing

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Oct 12, 2021

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Spacemonkey57 posted:

Turns out having your entire coaching staff be peter principle guys or nepotism hires wasn't good. This is what I think sets Saban apart from everyone else, he never ends up with his idiot golfing buddy coordinating the offense.

And apparently sucking them dry of skill when they leave.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

lol

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

Spacemonkey57 posted:

It is sort of amazing in hindsight that from a pure recruiting/scheme standpoint, the difference between Tressel and Urban is essentially just a matter of "how many guys from Ohio" and "Shotgun Y/N". The better Tressel offenses with Pryor essentially just did the JT Barrett playbook. Same idiotic clinging to coaches who aren't up to snuff due to loyalty. Same idiotic desire to maintain instead of constantly evolve.

Granted, Jim Tressel did nothing wrong and flatly doesn't get fired today, and Urban Meyer behaved like Urban Meyer and deserves eternal scorn like Woody or any other "Footbaw coach" type.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Pyror also went to OSU specifically because he wanted to play in an offense that wouldn't use him as a runner to prove he could do it to the NFL so he deserves some of the blame there.

In hindsight he's also probably a case where the people saying he should have played WR were correct rather than just racist. There was even a OSU game against I think Texas where they put him there for a few snaps and he almost immediately looked like a complete natural leaping over some guy to snag a fade and all I could think was "I don't want to encourage these people but..."

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 12, 2021

downout
Jul 6, 2009

During one of the games the announcers showed off a burrito and said two players had NIL deals with the restaurant. It was a custom made sandwich branded after them, and they got a dollar on each sale or something.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

MourningView posted:

Pyror also went to OSU specifically because he wanted to play in an offense that wouldn't use him as a runner to prove he could do it to the NFL so he deserves some of the blame there.

In hindsight he's also probably a case where the people saying he should have played WR were correct rather than just racist. There was even a OSU game against I think Texas where they put him there for a few snaps and he almost immediately looked like a complete natural leaping over some guy to snag a fade and all I could think was "I don't want to encourage these people but..."

The worst thing for Pryor is that he was essentially the scariest athlete on earth and also happened to have a decent arm that convinced people he should be a QB. Like, his arm is not huge, but it was enough that he could've done a lot of things for a lot of teams. About the only thing he didn't have from a physical standpoint was like the instant NFL velocity that guys like Lamar/Mahomes/Herbert have shown over the last couple years, but that's maybe the most important thing for success in any modern offense but especially in narrow window Tressel poo poo or whatever the NFL wants from you.

He could've been Megatron/Deandre Hopkins if he plays WR for 3-4 years prior to the NFL. He's that caliber of athlete.

I do wonder sometimes what happens if he sits his suspension and plays Fickell's interim season. They probably go 10-2/9-3 and end up losing Fickell to another head job a lot sooner, since there's zero chance they don't still chase Urban short of a natty that year. I forget who but someone in coaching rumor circles made the comment that Fickell's performance with the Tressel holdovers probably kept him in Columbus another 2-3 years more than it probably should have.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I don’t know which thing I love more - the fans who rushed the field for OU and A&M in the same day, or the former longhorn with sons playing for texas and alabama who had a very bad 0-2 day.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Sometimes I realize how not crazy I am by checking into PSU twitter and seeing a several dozen reply chain tearing apart Sean Clifford's meaningless instagram post for clues

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

I don't want to have false confidence since I was expecting Michigan State to be a 4-6 win team this year......

But man, destroying Harbaugh's best chance yet of getting to the B10 championship / playoffs, would be beautiful

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Democratic Pirate posted:

I don’t know which thing I love more - the fans who rushed the field for OU and A&M in the same day, or the former longhorn with sons playing for texas and alabama who had a very bad 0-2 day.

Related thought, has anyone checked in on Scionix? :ohdear:

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

Kloaked00 posted:

I don't want to have false confidence since I was expecting Michigan State to be a 4-6 win team this year......

But man, destroying Harbaugh's best chance yet of getting to the B10 championship / playoffs, would be beautiful

It’s funny, both sides are confident that they are going to win.

It’ll be a close game either way. The team that doesn’t turn the ball over will win. I don’t see either side stopping the others offense regularly.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pakled posted:

Related thought, has anyone checked in on Scionix? :ohdear:

He don't post in here as much anymore so I wouldn't take it as a sign that he ain't gotten out of bed since Saturday night or anything like that

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

PostNouveau posted:

He don't post in here as much anymore so I wouldn't take it as a sign that he ain't gotten out of bed since Saturday night or anything like that

He hasn’t been in the fantasy discord either, yelling at us to Kisstharingz so

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

I think i speak for everyone when i say Hell yeah we fuckin do!

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Scionix hasn't posted much this year, to be fair. But he hasn't outright vanished like Crotchbat or AnneFrankFic.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

vyst posted:

I think i speak for everyone when i say Hell yeah we fuckin do!

Right there with you. Launch that burrito

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

SquirrelyPSU posted:

You could win a Super Bowl with a punter like that

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I wanna send a burrito into orbit

By shooting it

Out of my rear end

After I eat it

augias
Apr 7, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

I wanna send a burrito into orbit

By shooting it

Out of my rear end

After I eat it

ok, gabe bkric can kick your rear end into orbit as long as you pay him

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

fast cars loose anus posted:

Teams look invincible til they don't; before Saturday people were saying "well 2007 didn't have two dominant teams like Alabama and Georgia" so I wouldn't put any wagers on Georgia rolling to the title yet

LSU was undefeated in regulation. :colbert:

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

LLCoolJD posted:

Scionix hasn't posted much this year, to be fair. But he hasn't outright vanished like Crotchbat or AnneFrankFic.

I think AFF got banned for being AFF and never rereged (though I always figured they just used a parachute to still post in FYAD)

I think Crotchbat had one too many embarrassing meltdowns in here and decided to stop posting

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Joey Freshwater posted:

https://twitter.com/JaredDLee/status/1447667048117465090?s=20

I am so hype for UT Ole Miss to be a 100 point game that I just know I'm gonna be disappointed and it's gonna be like 13-7

ole miss is still all gas no breaks even if the defense is a little better than last year

i’d be very surprised if it doesn’t turn into a shootout like the pitt game did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

TipTow posted:

I think Crotchbat had one too many embarrassing meltdowns in here and decided to stop posting

I honestly wish he was around because his ability to have the most unhinged VT takes of all time was unmatched. Dude legitimately thought that getting lucky with Bear front/man only looks against freshman Barrett was the beginning of a return to prominence for VT and that they were on the verge of titles every year. I miss that kind of birdbrained optimism as opposed to those of us who still post here and will never feel secure about any team ever for any reason. His big meltdown was like getting mad that people didn't like a streamer saying some racist poo poo? Idk.

AFF posted a Nazi sig in BYOB when FYAD was dead/in limbo and basically went out with the rest of that era of the FYAD lair.