Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Kchama posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r9Sd19w6XI Part 2 of the playthrough is up now.

EDIT: Man it sure is weird that they haven't shown off any of SRW30's music yet.

When was the last time we got actual BGMs aside from Banpresto Original in marketing materials? Z2 Hakai-hen's series announcement trailer (which I can't even find anymore)? I think there's a licensing thing in the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

EclecticTastes posted:

When was the last time we got actual BGMs aside from Banpresto Original in marketing materials? Z2 Hakai-hen's series announcement trailer (which I can't even find anymore)? I think there's a licensing thing in the way.

BX's PV2 did have it, so that would have to be the last one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbBrYD6IGSk It was the last game before the VTX trilogy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5vmX-VLPhI

V has an actual BGM trailer too. I can't find one for X or T though. So not THAT long ago.

Kchama fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 11, 2021

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
I mean, we got BGM at the reveal; Sleeping Beast and Divine Beast are The Actual Theme Songs for Edge and Az. We've seen they serve as their combat themes during the first stage.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Biggest bomb from this video is that the ship isn't just "about 2 km long" - it's 2021 meters!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

SpaceDrake posted:

I mean, we got BGM at the reveal; Sleeping Beast and Divine Beast are The Actual Theme Songs for Edge and Az. We've seen they serve as their combat themes during the first stage.

People are probably talking about hearing what BGMs they're using for the licensed series.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Kchama posted:

BX's PV2 did have it, so that would have to be the last one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbBrYD6IGSk It was the last game before the VTX trilogy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5vmX-VLPhI

V has an actual BGM trailer too. I can't find one for X or T though. So not THAT long ago.

The BX trailer is kind of telling, actually. Notice how Macross Frontier, Raijinoh, and Nadesico weren't using BGMs anyone would ever actually use (BX was one of the lucky games to get decent music from Nadesico). I'm assuming this means they couldn't get approval to use Dream Shift, You Get To Burning, or any of the Macross Frontier tracks. Whether it's a money thing or simply a matter of permission is unclear, but it seems there's a non-zero amount of red tape involved.

SpaceDrake posted:

Those are Banpresto originals, so obviously they have the go-ahead to use them however they want.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Caphi posted:

Biggest bomb from this video is that the ship isn't just "about 2 km long" - it's 2021 meters!

Longer than the Frontier but not as long as the SDF-1 smdh

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
About the same size as the Wunder, which means that lol whenever Evangelion 3/3+1 go in we're going to be using a 3L battleship with an AT field.

chirico cuvie
Jan 23, 2004
Made of beef and beef byproduct
Lipstick Apathy

Kchama posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r9Sd19w6XI Part 2 of the playthrough is up now.

EDIT: Man it sure is weird that they haven't shown off any of SRW30's music yet.

It's probably a rights thing as usual. I think Terada even mentions it in part 2 when Leanne's seiyuu attacks with V-Dash Gundam, that normally you'd hear its theme song, but for the demo they have to use a generic BGM.

If there will be a BGM version of any of the PVs, I bet it's limited to retail demos.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

No no no, you see, a hacktivist is the modern version of a journalist.

Pffftt, oh god not even i can say that with a straight face.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Siegkrow posted:

what

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I'm watching Gridman again before 30 comes out, with a friend who's never seen it, I honestly forgot how much some of the music in it slaps.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Siegkrow posted:

what

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
That post was probably supposed to go in the DC thread where they're currently talking about Jonathan Kent/Superboy being bi and dating a hacktavist

Either that, or a Siegkrow is having a schizophrenic break

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Blockhouse posted:

That post was probably supposed to go in the DC thread where they're currently talking about Jonathan Kent/Superboy being bi and dating a hacktavist

Either that, or a Siegkrow is having a schizophrenic break

This is what happens when I reply instead of quoting :cripes:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

wdarkk posted:

About the same size as the Wunder, which means that lol whenever Evangelion 3/3+1 go in we're going to be using a 3L battleship with an AT field.

:getin:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
https://twitter.com/sasuraiger/status/1447683791712030727

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

While most attacks depict small mech suits/robots shooting at each other, some attacks trigger short animated sequences depicting dramatic flame attacks, laser fire, sword strikes, and large explosions.
Yeah now that's the stuff.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

"Prick"? I thought Cross Ange wasn't in the game. Lemme kill Embryo again!

EclecticTastes posted:

The BX trailer is kind of telling, actually. Notice how Macross Frontier, Raijinoh, and Nadesico weren't using BGMs anyone would ever actually use (BX was one of the lucky games to get decent music from Nadesico). I'm assuming this means they couldn't get approval to use Dream Shift, You Get To Burning, or any of the Macross Frontier tracks. Whether it's a money thing or simply a matter of permission is unclear, but it seems there's a non-zero amount of red tape involved.

Those are Banpresto originals, so obviously they have the go-ahead to use them however they want.

Weren't those weirdly the default themes for those units in BX? Like MacF has always weirdly defaulted to The Target. And Raijinoh had not Dream Shift for its finisher theme pretty much always. Also isn't You Get To Burning like, the most common theme for Nadesico in SRW?

Kchama fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Oct 12, 2021

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but this looks like the closest to an actual SRW megathread.

I just started V on the Switch, I'm 5 missions in (played through mission 6, and accidentally blew up the cruiser that triggers the end of the mission before I destroyed the ship for the bonus objective). Is there a way to find out what the various pilot skills or stats do? And do I need to worry about upgrading a pilot/mech only for them to leave or "upgrade" to a new mech, and not carry over the upgrades bought for the older mech?

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

Randalor posted:

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but this looks like the closest to an actual SRW megathread.

I just started V on the Switch, I'm 5 missions in (played through mission 6, and accidentally blew up the cruiser that triggers the end of the mission before I destroyed the ship for the bonus objective). Is there a way to find out what the various pilot skills or stats do? And do I need to worry about upgrading a pilot/mech only for them to leave or "upgrade" to a new mech, and not carry over the upgrades bought for the older mech?

Akurasu is your best friend for finding out what skills do. And no one in V permanently leaves, they'll always come back at some point. As for mechs, upgrades carryover so don't worry about that.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Hunter Noventa posted:

I'm watching Gridman again before 30 comes out, with a friend who's never seen it, I honestly forgot how much some of the music in it slaps.

I finished a rewatch of Gridman yesterday with my girlfriend, god what a great show. It did annoy me for SRW 30 though, since it had a lot of stuff for the Gridman forms but we know they'll just be one attack each for Gridman instead of playable forms. At least the one attack we saw looks really good.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Blaze Dragon posted:

I finished a rewatch of Gridman yesterday with my girlfriend, god what a great show. It did annoy me for SRW 30 though, since it had a lot of stuff for the Gridman forms but we know they'll just be one attack each for Gridman instead of playable forms. At least the one attack we saw looks really good.

Does it? Like most of the combinations got like one real attack and some stuff for when they weren't combined in the show. Like some of them could be gattais, but like Gridman Calibur is better off just an attack.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

Randalor posted:

There should be an option under "System" for something like Encyclopedia or something similar that explains what each pilot ability does. You can also hit a button (not sure which, I think it's the Options button on PS4 but if you're on PC I don't know which one it is) that brings up a cursor you can use to click on various things to get information on the Pilot or Unit screens.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Doesn't V have some ability descriptions that are flat-out wrong? Or is that a different one.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Nephrite posted:

There should be an option under "System" for something like Encyclopedia or something similar that explains what each pilot ability does. You can also hit a button (not sure which, I think it's the Options button on PS4 but if you're on PC I don't know which one it is) that brings up a cursor you can use to click on various things to get information on the Pilot or Unit screens.

The encyclopedia covers some skills/traits, but not things like "Newtype". So right now, I have Gundams that have sub-50% chance of getting hit from an attack, while Black Getter has a 100% of eating each hit, presumably because Ryoma thinks evading is for wusses (I haven't seen the Getter series, so that may actually be the case, though apparently its just because Newtype gives a bonus to evasion)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

wdarkk posted:

Doesn't V have some ability descriptions that are flat-out wrong? Or is that a different one.

V uses different translations for abilities/skills/spirits in different places which can be confusing. Like Valor is translated as Valor and Hot-Blooded which makes the encyclopedia hard to parse and at least one Ace upgrade seem nonsensical.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Randalor posted:

The encyclopedia covers some skills/traits, but not things like "Newtype". So right now, I have Gundams that have sub-50% chance of getting hit from an attack, while Black Getter has a 100% of eating each hit, presumably because Ryoma thinks evading is for wusses (I haven't seen the Getter series, so that may actually be the case, though apparently its just because Newtype gives a bonus to evasion)

In SRW, 'Super Robots' like Getter Robo are generally not terribly dodgy, while Gundams tend to be very dodgy. If you check, the Gundam will have a lot higher Mobility than the Black Getter, which is the stat used for Evasion on units. Also, Amuro's related stat is also much higher than Ryoma's.

Also in general, Newtype is +Accuracy/Evasion, +DMG to Newtype weapons like Fin Funnel, and +Range to Newtype Weapons at high Newtype level.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Zore posted:

V uses different translations for abilities/skills/spirits in different places which can be confusing. Like Valor is translated as Valor and Hot-Blooded which makes the encyclopedia hard to parse and at least one Ace upgrade seem nonsensical.

Off the top of my head, Tobia has a Valor/Hot-Blooded mixup, while Banagher says Awaken instead of Zeal.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Kchama posted:

Does it? Like most of the combinations got like one real attack and some stuff for when they weren't combined in the show. Like some of them could be gattais, but like Gridman Calibur is better off just an attack.

Yeah almost all of the Gridman forms in the show basically do one, maybe two things total in their singular appearances. If they were included as actual form changes they would have like two attacks each, maximum.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Oct 12, 2021

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Randalor posted:

If you highlight a skill there is some button that you can hit that tells you what it does.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 12, 2021

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Randalor posted:

The Gundams themselves also usually have better dodge stats compared to the Getters. Even a non-Newtype will dodge a lot better because Gundams are just fundamentally built to be dodgy. On the other hand, Getters usually have more armor and will take hits much better.

I don't have V specifically, but the basic stats across pretty much all SRW games are usually as follows:

Pilot:
  • Melee - affects performance of melee attacks
  • Ranged - affects performance of ranged attacks
  • Defense - reduces damage when your mech gets hit
  • Evasion - increases ability to dodge attacks
  • Accuracy - increases ability to hit things
  • Skill - increases crit chance and sometimes plays a role in the activation rate of some abilities
  • Terrain affinities - their ranks for Air, Ground, Water, and Space affect the pilot's general performance in those terrains

Mech:
  • Armor - reduces the amount of damage taken from hits
  • Mobility - increases the ability to dodge
  • Sometimes there's a separate stat for accuracy
  • Movement - How far you can move in a turn
  • Size - Smaller units have a bonus to dodging but take increased damage, while larger units have a penalty to dodging but take less damage
  • Terrain affinities - their ranks for Air, Ground, Water, and Space affect the mech's general performance in those terrains

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Ryoma thinks dodging is for cowards and Black Getter is bad at dodging.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Last few questions for now: Do I need to worry about "trap options" when buying things with TacPoints, or is the game generous when it comes to TacPoints? And is there anything vital I should know before I get too far into the game?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Randalor posted:

Last few questions for now: Do I need to worry about "trap options" when buying things with TacPoints, or is the game generous when it comes to TacPoints? And is there anything vital I should know before I get too far into the game?

You probably want to save them at first. In a few chapters you'll unlock a 'Factory' where you can spend them for some universal buffs which will unlock some other stuff including a choice between a passive to get more Tac points, get more money or get both but less than the dedicated buff. Go for the tac points as you'll always be more limited on them than money.

After that feel free to go wild.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Zore posted:

You probably want to save them at first. In a few chapters you'll unlock a 'Factory' where you can spend them for some universal buffs which will unlock some other stuff including a choice between a passive to get more Tac points, get more money or get both but less than the dedicated buff. Go for the tac points as you'll always be more limited on them than money.

After that feel free to go wild.

... well crap. Okay, thankfully I'm just 6 missions in and I can quickly blitz through the first 5.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Randalor posted:

... well crap. Okay, thankfully I'm just 6 missions in and I can quickly blitz through the first 5.

Oh don't feel the need to restart that soon. The amount you've gotten/spent so far is not worth restarting over, you get a lot more from missions later on.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

absolutely do not, ever, restart to try and 'optimize' things lmao. super robot wars games are incredibly easy. seriously just dont worry about it. itll be fine. the appeal of these games is just being able to do whatever you want and slap upgrades on whoever you like the most, not on being a nailbiting tactical challenge. the only way to make the games actually hard is to intentionally spend nothing. and even then it's not that hard.

just have fun

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Endorph posted:

absolutely do not, ever, restart to try and 'optimize' things lmao. super robot wars games are incredibly easy. seriously just dont worry about it. itll be fine. the appeal of these games is just being able to do whatever you want and slap upgrades on whoever you like the most, not on being a nailbiting tactical challenge. the only way to make the games actually hard is to intentionally spend nothing. and even then it's not that hard.

just have fun

Going to append an asterisk here and say this statement doesn't apply to the older Winkysoft games or A Portable, which will absolutely run you into the dirt if you don't do optimal play. For the recent games, though, you're good to take it nice and easy.

Also, part 3 of 30's mission 1 has been up for a few hours: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0fl77UR6QA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

It kind of bothers me how close those original enemies are to just being Gazas.

Also the upgrade bars are in three sets of five with the last set appearing to not be selectable at the start. I wonder if they are going to do the unthinkable and have three full upgrade style bonuses instead of the two they’ve been doing recently.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 12, 2021