Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

I do really love the shift to 'museumification' as an argument though, because almost all these people have been demanding explicitly some sort of grand public display of local culture being respected as proof of lack of genocide. So obviously when China goes 'fine, come here and see this culture is doing just fine' the response becomes 'wow so PARADING US AROUND FROM STOP TO STOP LIKE WE'RE IN SOME KIND OF TOUR?! Nice try you goddamn tricky chinese!!!'

Have any of these perverts explained why China magically stopped doing a genocide, though? Like, what made the evil red-fash Chinese government suddenly decide to stop harvesting organs and forcibly sterilizing women?

Prices of organs have cratered since COVID

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Al-Saqr posted:

I’m glad the CCP turning back on their disgusting behavior towards the uighurs, here’s hoping they treat them like regular citizens and like human beings rather than as a target for mass detention. they’ll earn far more security by treating their citizens with respect and dignity.

Weren't they supposed to be burying them in mass graves by the millions? Harvesting their organs? How would the CPC go back on that?

Doesn't it seem weird that what we were led to believe was a state-sponsored genocide as recently as the beginning of this year can just turn on a dime to the point where op-eds are being written about how exceedingly normal (but still very afraid of the next holocaust!!) Xinjiang is?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Agrajag posted:

it really is looking like they are pivoting towards taiwan stuff

No choice really. Hong Kong avenue was thoroughly dismantled. Kicked out of Afghanistan and China making ties with Taliban significantly hampers their ability to influence Xinjiang. I mean they could but it would mean directly allying with ISIS, I know we joke about the CIA but I dont think biden wants a leak saying we are doing it because lol.

So that leaves Tibet, which is too far gone now and Taiwan which is ripe for the picking but if the KMT gets elected again it might as well shut that avenue as well.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

People are just going to dismiss that article and move back to thinking there's a full blown holocaust in Xinjiang the next time the Kissinger Institute for Bombing Brown People drops a report. Honestly can't blame them, that article is dumb as hell. The reporter literally went to Xinjiang a grand total of two times during the relevant time period. His evidence that everything is over is that he personally sees less police, cameras, barbed wire, and more teenage boys than he did the previous time.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Agrajag posted:

how close can relations be with israel? am i wrong in thinking that israel is practically joined at the hip with america?

Very close.

There are as Southpaugh mentioned a large amount of Soviet/Russian Jews who immigrated to Israel in the 70s & 90s and make up a sizable minority of the population. This is why Israel has built a Victory Monument dedicated to the Red Army's victory over Nazism. Why Israel is the only non Soviet/Eastern bloc to host Victory Day Parades on May 9th.

President Putin has stated his considers Israel part of the Russian world.

Beyond cultural and language ties. There is geopolitics. Where Israel frequently bucks America by not siding against Russia. For example:

Israel opposed NATO bombing of Yugoslavia.

Israel was silent on Russia's annexing of Crimea. They skipped out on the UN vote condemning the invasion.

Israel did not oppose Russia's intervention into the Syrian Civil War. It expressed only it's opposition to the presence of Iranian, Hezbollah, and ISIS. Russia offered a 100km buffer zone at the Israeli-Syrian border
that Iranian force would be forbidden to enter. Although Israel rejected this.

Israel didn't blame Russia for the poisoning of Sergei and Yulia Skripal in the UK. It did not join in expelling Russian diplomats nor impose sanctions.

Russia recognized West Jerusalem as Israel's capital in 2017. The first nation to extend recognition to any part of Jerusalem.

Israel purchased Russia's Sputnik V COVID-19 vaccine.

etc, etc...

fake edit:

Also this in the last election:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Regarding Taiwan, for people who are keeping the score

Xi had a pretty big and long speech on Oct 9th, one day before the Republic of China 110th national day, basically stressed the historical connections between CPC and KMT before 1949.

You see people who live in on the Taiwan island kind of have split personalities in that on one hand some people see themselves as both Chinese and Taiwanese whose founding fathers built their nation state on 1912; while other people who identify themselves as only Taiwanese and don't want to carry the ROC history and from 1912 to 1949. Hell they don't want to carry any Jiang family baggage pre-80s. But the green camp hasn't done anything official to change that, so the DPP and their government kind of pay minimal lip service to the national day but just hand wave the pre-49 history to the side. So what Xi did on the 9th was highlighting this conflict of identities and kick the ball to Tsai and wanted her to give an answer to ROC identity as well as the concept of the pan Chinese nationalism.

What Tsai said on 10th speech (according to Taiwanese analysts I follow) was essentially brushed these questions aside and gave a kind of hardline list and made democratic talking points.

So Beijing is going to give a show of force response after that Tsai speech. Right now they are assessing whether Tsai wrote these talking points herself or the US/AIT put her up to it. There will be different response depends on how much American was involved. Keep in mind the new Japanese PM has already said he want to see cross strait engage in more talks so he has already nop out of the room.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 15:33 on Oct 12, 2021

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The global supply chain crisis must have reminded capital who butters their bread and now the genocide is over! We did it!

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 31 minutes!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ummm the supply crisis is happening because of lack of personnel driving trucks and loading trains not because china is blocking anything. Why, the only way we could unfuck ourselves is if we had a sudden surge of people to man those positions...my god they are sending uyghurs slaves to drive our trucks!

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

Cao Ni Ma posted:

So that leaves Tibet, which is too far gone now
the nat-sec blob moved on from Tibet since it appears popular media/culture stopped caring or it never really sunk in. also a :hmbol: is that Adrian Zenz had to move his boutique shop from writing about oppression of Tibet to that of Uyghurs so he could be relevant and have a paycheck

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Zmej posted:

the nat-sec blob moved on from Tibet since it appears popular media/culture stopped caring or it never really sunk in. also a :hmbol: is that Adrian Zenz had to move his boutique shop from writing about oppression of Tibet to that of Uyghurs so he could be relevant and have a paycheck

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

lol what year is it? but seriously, I rewatched an episode last week and I winced when Cooper mentioned how he "felt for the plight of the Dalai Lama" and my mind began racing about the CIA's work in Tibet and with the Lama lol. oh well, Cooper did work for a three-letter agency :smith:

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

answer:yes

quote:

The harder the government tried to control the Uyghurs, the more stubbornly many clung to their identity. A few resorted to violence, carrying out bombings and knifings against a state they believed would never accord them genuine respect. Hundreds of innocent civilians, both Han Chinese and Uyghur, perished in increasingly deadly attacks.

lmao can you imagine the AP reporting terrorist attacks against civilians in the west like this

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

mila kunis posted:

lmao can you imagine the AP reporting terrorist attacks against civilians in the west like this

It depends if it was a honeypot set up by the FBI or not

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Zmej posted:

lol what year is it? but seriously, I rewatched an episode last week and I winced when Cooper mentioned how he "felt for the plight of the Dalai Lama" and my mind began racing about the CIA's work in Tibet and with the Lama lol. oh well, Cooper did work for a three-letter agency :smith:

reread Parenti's Tibet essay in the wee hours of the morning today when I couldn't sleep and it still hits good, everytime I get to the part about the Dalai Lama receiving millions of CIA money I just laugh

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

Zmej posted:

cooper is extremely wholesome and with that comes some naivety

it's part of the character, along with his psychic connections and extremely thorough training

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

the bit about uyghurs drinking is particularly stupid because many uyghurs in xinjiang are sufi, they've been drinking and smoking for centuries.

ningxia is the hui autonomous region and has some of the country's best-known wine producers, though that's a more recent development. i guess the us press wants us to believe all muslims are wahhabist teetotalers.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/asymmetricinfo/status/1447938336010776594?s=20
https://twitter.com/asymmetricinfo/status/1447941979439042564?s=20

what has she written on China?

https://twitter.com/asymmetricinfo/status/1353004918605553664?s=20

lol

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

us taking the quislings and china getting everything else is a p good deal for the PRC

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

us taking the quislings and china getting everything else is a p good deal for the PRC

Worked for Cuba.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/asymmetricinfo/status/1447952197837377540?s=20
That AP article will barely have an impact on the narrative because this is what most people in media in the US believe

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

man what the gently caress do these freaks want China to do, let the Uighur taliban set up shop?

This op ed is dedicated to the brave mujahideen of xinjiang

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/C_Barraud/status/1447845798088163328

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Talk about win-win-win (well not counting the Republicans in the lost column)

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Wages are depressed in Taiwan and Chinese rule probably wouldn't make things better, so it would be a win

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Keep up. That was known yesterday. The new bond to watch is the next evergrande due 18th of October.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Zmej posted:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I wonder what will happen to the East Turkestan independence movement. I’m not sure this is over for the US; maybe there’s just a need for more time and support. ET isn’t something that popped up yesterday on its own. In 2007 I used to have lunch most days at an Uyghur restaurant that was plastered with Free East Turkestan content, and there has been some sympathy and support in Turkey for the separatist causes.

I think the US will funnel resources through a diversity of channels for some time. As always, there’s a significant chance that it will betray local alliances and “partners,” especially as things go increasingly off the rails at home.

I love this dudes look and I’m sure I’ll see more in time

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lmao

https://twitter.com/leninbertarian/status/1447865359059472385?t=40__Bpckx-gYs8rIe6hhWg&s=19

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Salih Hudayar, Ambassador to the US for the East Turkistan Government-in-exile

Norton I., Emperor of the United States

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Ummm the supply crisis is happening because of lack of personnel driving trucks and loading trains not because china is blocking anything. Why, the only way we could unfuck ourselves is if we had a sudden surge of people to man those positions...my god they are sending uyghurs slaves to drive our trucks!

all those dock workers and truck drivers more than likely died of covid

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

America is dying and these companies know that they need papa xis favor to continue capitalism in China

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 23 minutes!

Grapplejack posted:

It sucks because now being pro-indy for Taiwan will get me called a Ned CIA plant instead of just a trot wrecker
:thunk:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
AP: genocide over. everybody go home

d&d:
That is an incredibly bleak article, holy gently caress.

So they've moved from "put them all into concentration camps" to "turn their homes and towns into concentration camps".

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Raskolnikov38 posted:

jeffrey refund those bans

absolutely not. instead start handing out probes and bans for anyone who links the genocide-denying "associated press"

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

OhFunny posted:

https://twitter.com/ReutersIndia/status/1373356236096294913?s=20

hmmm. India has always had close ties to Russia and is one of, if not biggest, buyer of its arms.

India has a deal for the S-400. Which the US sanctioned Turkey over for purchasing.

I wonder if they'll be able to thread the needle here. India has greatly stepped up it purchase of weapons from the US and Modi does seems to be moving away from India's non-alignment, but other officials seem very reluctant.

With eye on China, US thinks twice about sanctioning India for Russian missile system

Looks like I was mistaken in who had to do the needle threading.

The US has put itself into a bind here. It either puts sanctions on India for buying Russia's S-400s as stated under the terms of the CAATSA law. Which it was already done to Turkey when it purchased the same weapons platform.

This would piss India off at the moment the US is trying to deepen cooperation to contain China.

If the US doesn't sanction India than I can only imagine how pissed Erdoğan is going to be at the double standard.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Raskolnikov38 posted:

AP: genocide over. everybody go home

d&d:
That is an incredibly bleak article, holy gently caress.

So they've moved from "put them all into concentration camps" to "turn their homes and towns into concentration camps".

China must have looked at the model of South Side Chicago or Palestine!

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

is that a tower in your pants or are you just happy to see me

Grapplejack posted:

It sucks because now being pro-indy for Taiwan will get me called a Ned CIA plant instead of just a trot wrecker

ok ill bite why the hell do you support taiwan independence

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

OhFunny posted:

With eye on China, US thinks twice about sanctioning India for Russian missile system

Looks like I was mistaken in who had to do the needle threading.

The US has put itself into a bind here. It either puts sanctions on India for buying Russia's S-400s as stated under the terms of the CAATSA law. Which it was already done to Turkey when it purchased the same weapons platform.

This would piss India off at the moment the US is trying to deepen cooperation to contain China.

If the US doesn't sanction India than I can only imagine how pissed Erdoğan is going to be at the double standard.
:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I support self determination but it’s like 90% of Taiwan just want the perpetual status quou and if the the status quou will just lead to China slowly taking over then they might as well do it now and save everyone’s time.

Same thing with Puerto Rico. Independence is not desired, statehood was always trending positively but people were fine with the status quou until everything started falling apart at the seems, now a clear majority wants statehood.

The question is, what would have to happen for Taiwan to start considering that the status quou is no longer a sweet deal. What can China or the US offer or not, for them to swing to one side or the other.