Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
A bat somehow got into the store today. I got it trapped in the bathroom and waited for it to settle somewhere. It took a few tries but I got it into a mesh trash can and then outside safely :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Oof, bats are adorable but also such terrifying little disease factories.

Stoner Sloth
Apr 2, 2019

Hey fellow SA poster, nice pics - love skinks and that gecko looks rad - most of the ones i've seen about have been smooth skinned ones, mostly Christinus spp. Cool to see something I less commonly encounter!

Like you I have trouble remembering to take pics! Figuring there's going to be a lot of eastern brown snakes around here soon so I'll try to grab a shot of one of those along with lizards and spiders. If all else fails I have a ton of ringtail and brush tail possums that battle nightly upon my roof.

vortmax posted:

A bat somehow got into the store today. I got it trapped in the bathroom and waited for it to settle somewhere. It took a few tries but I got it into a mesh trash can and then outside safely :3:

Adorable. Got a lot of flying foxes and small insect eating bats here but they've proven pretty hard to get good shots of - the little guys especially, way too quick for me.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
So whoever it was who said my mantis friend was pregnant was right! Look what I found!! (sorry for potato quality picture):

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Literally A Ghost posted:

So whoever it was who said my mantis friend was pregnant was right! Look what I found!! (sorry for potato quality picture):

Really hoping the thread gets some tiny mantis content soon :f5:

Here is a mantis friend posing on some moss in southern Ontario

And a very shiny unidentified bug I found in Denmark this summer. I could see it reflecting sunlight from 2 meters away.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

your 2nd bug there could be a six-spot burnet moth (Zygaena filipendulae)
they are very fancy :3:

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe
There's also the Narrow-bordered five-spot burnet (Zygaena lonicerae) which is quite similar. But as far as I can tell, the five-spot variant has its "unpaired" spot at the tip of the wing, not the root - so yours is probably the six-spotted. Or as we call it in Denmark, seksplettet køllesværmer :3:

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

No idea what this little guy is, found him in the house and took him outside.

Then took a glamour shot of him.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

If you're in the US I'd say it was a Pale Green Assassin Bug nymph, Zelus luridus.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
So what the hell is this horror show of a creature:

The back legs were loving 2.5" long!!!

E: in coastal oregon

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

square legged camel cricket, or possibly a sasquatch

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Found this absolute unit of a woodlouse spider (Dysdera crocata) on my back steps this morning.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Bismuth posted:

square legged camel cricket, or possibly a sasquatch

It took all of my willpower to not stomp it dead while shrilly screaming like a 6 year old girl.

Why does this have to live by me???

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

It took all of my willpower to not stomp it dead while shrilly screaming like a 6 year old girl.

The good news is, it's the only one

There definely aren't thousands more near by

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

The Bloop posted:

The good news is, it's the only one

There definely aren't thousands more near by

:concerned:

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Whoopsiedaisy

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Why do you live by them?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Bismuth posted:

Why do you live by them?

drat it.

Beaten again.

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit

A russet nastyman

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
I love bugs that look like they were created with a modded character creator.

"4x length legs mod by xXxNarutoxXx"

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

NFX posted:

There's also the Narrow-bordered five-spot burnet (Zygaena lonicerae) which is quite similar. But as far as I can tell, the five-spot variant has its "unpaired" spot at the tip of the wing, not the root - so yours is probably the six-spotted. Or as we call it in Denmark, seksplettet køllesværmer :3:

In Sweden we call them "Bastardsvärmare" (=bastard hawkmoth) which is a bit of an ugly name for a pretty moth.

Bastard had more uses back then, im guessing it referred to them resembling hawkmoths.
Bastard could be used to describe a hybrid or something with mixed descent, or an inferior facsimile of an original thing.

What does Kölle mean in Danish btw?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Club or cudgel. Like for hittin stuff. I think, my Danish etymology isn’t great.

Direct translations are fun though, then the bug would be called a “six-spotted club swarmer” :haw:

NFX
Jun 2, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fruits of the sea posted:

Club or cudgel. Like for hittin stuff. I think, my Danish etymology isn’t great.

Direct translations are fun though, then the bug would be called a “six-spotted club swarmer” :haw:

Yup. The family (Zygaenidae) is "køllesværmere", is supposedly named after the shape of their antennae. As I was looking this up I noticed that in Norwegian they're named Bloddråpesvermere, literally "drop-of-blood swarmers" :black101:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Yoink!
My part of the world consists mostly of wheat, sheep and canola farms; there are a few little pockets of relict vegetation remaining, mostly in places too gravelly to farm (and in Australia, that's saying something.) One such nature reserve, 5km out of town, comes across as a sad and dreary dumping ground for random rubbish, but wander even fifty metres in and you find an extraordinarily diverse and beautiful assortment of plant and bird life.

I won't post any more bird photos or I won't be able to stop, but it really feels magical. Cross one little rise and suddenly you're literally surrounded by all these different birds, who will quite unconcernedly flutter down and land on a branch all of a metre away from you, or swoop down to eat the bugs you've disturbed with your footsteps. And then there are pockets of wildflowers, grass-trees, pines coated in saffron lichen, and- best of all- little meadows populated entirely by mushrooms and carnivorous plants. I feel like drosera peltata here almost counts as a critter; you can see its lunch at bottom left.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

There's no such thing as posting too much. Place sounds incredible, I'd love to see some of those mushrooms!

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Love those rainbow bee eaters, my mum is a serious birder and was on a quest for months/multiple trips away before she finally saw some.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I thought you caught one poopin' before I realized it's a feather lol.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Tree Bucket posted:

little meadows populated entirely by mushrooms and carnivorous plants.

:frogon:

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

it almost looks like a mammoth sized tardigrade. which I don't think exist, but whatevs.

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Oct 17, 2021

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009
Besides the previous chonky spider who had taken up residence in my office window, the naturalist app I use tells me I appear to have a mild invasion of Heptagonal Orb Weavers? I've certainly never seen these guys before.

I like that their butts look almost gold flaked, but they have this weird like dent in it.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Is this a critter?

Looked small enough to fit in a palm of a hand and was sort of undulating underwater.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

That looks like an Upside-down Jellyfish (Cassiopea andromeda). Definitely a Cassiopea of some kind.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

El Burbo posted:

Is this a critter?

Looked small enough to fit in a palm of a hand and was sort of undulating underwater.

Upsidedown Jellyfish?
e: beaten, stung, left for dead

joat mon fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Oct 18, 2021

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

blight rhino posted:

it almost looks like a mammoth sized tardigrade. which I don't think exist, but whatevs.

I think your eyes glazed over the legs

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

McGavin posted:

That looks like an Upside-down Jellyfish (Cassiopea andromeda). Definitely a Cassiopea of some kind.

joat mon posted:

Upsidedown Jellyfish?
e: beaten, stung, left for dead

Neat thanks. Guess it wasn't upside down at that moment tho

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

Wolf spider friend? The image sucks because he's on the ceiling in my apartments hallway. I try not to bring too much attention to him so he won't get killed. I'd catch and put it outside but it's getting cold and he'll just come back in

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Treecko posted:

Wolf spider friend? The image sucks because he's on the ceiling in my apartments hallway. I try not to bring too much attention to him so he won't get killed. I'd catch and put it outside but it's getting cold and he'll just come back in

Looks kind of like what we would call a grass spider.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I think you're correct! I thought wolf spider because it hasn't made any sort of web in the week I've been watching it. But the grass spider images are closer. Makes sense, he's right by the door and can grab whatever insects fly in when people come and go.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Treecko posted:

I think you're correct! I thought wolf spider because it hasn't made any sort of web in the week I've been watching it. But the grass spider images are closer. Makes sense, he's right by the door and can grab whatever insects fly in when people come and go.

When I lived in the hot rear end valley they used to gather by literally the hundreds on the sunny parts of the wood that my garden boxes were built of. They're cool little dudes!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Two more photos from the nature reserve just out of town, in the category of "absurdly tiny birds holding absurdly tiny sticks to build their absurdly tiny nests."