Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
If it was over 10 years ago, I wouldn't even mention it. You're not obligated to disclose it either.

Also most prospective employers have made me sign something that gives them permission to conduct a background check, and it usually includes information about the third party that's conducting it, and how to request the results. It may just as well be something dumb like experian mistakes you for a serial killer or something.

There's also the option of paying for a background check on yourself if it seems worthwhile.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Sep 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I wouldn't go to bases trying to track it down. You mentioned issues with NG and pay when you switched. Odds are whatever state you were going to NG for has your records, and it's not like NG units are known for their organizing and filing abilities.

So I'd probably start there. If you had an NG unit already lined up, contact them first. You'll be looking for a number for battalion or brigade headquarters S1 (whoever handles the officer poo poo).

You could always take the congresscritter route, they seem to love the break from cold calling for donations. Send a brief email describing the issue and an aide will get back to you about details. This is usually reserved for poo poo like prodding along a medical packet, but congressmonsters will trip over their own dicks to help troops. Might take a week to hear back though.

E: you might have an Administrative discharge.

https://jagdefense.com/practice-areas/administrative-discharges/

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

i say swears online posted:

That's definitely good to know. Could I show up at camp mabry and request records in person? I worked there full-time for over year and they would have possible links to my OCS training and records. my OCS was at camp swift

I don’t know for sure but you’d be a visitor to the base so I’m not really sure what privileges you’d have. I haven’t set foot on a military base since I got out in 2012 and I don’t plan on doing so again voluntarily, so what the procedure would be I have no idea.

The only other possibility is you’re listed as AWOL, but depending on how long it’s been since all of that, even getting pulled over for a traffic violation would have eventually landed you in the custody of MP’s. I don’t say that to scare you, it’s just that there are only so many reasons; if you did nothing wrong, and you went through the right channels to drop OCS (I actually didn’t know that was possible to just wash yourself out and they let you leave) and they granted you a discharge, then it should be honorable. Maybe there’s something I’m missing too.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Background checks tend to pick up AWOL status thanks to warrants. If that was the case, he'd probably have been picked up renewing his license at the DMV.

That would depend on whatever local authority would receive the report, if the NG unit even declared him AWOL to MPs, who would report it to locals at his home of record address. But I don't think AWOL is the case (it's desertion after 30 days anyhow), I'm leaning more towards admin discharge.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Background checks tend to pick up AWOL status thanks to warrants. If that was the case, he'd probably have been picked up renewing his license at the DMV.

That would depend on whatever local authority would receive the report, if the NG unit even declared him AWOL to MPs, who would report it to locals at his home of record address. But I don't think AWOL is the case (it's desertion after 30 days anyhow), I'm leaning more towards admin discharge.

Oh yeah, AWOL was always gonna be a stretch, he’d have been picked up by now for sure.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

life is killing me posted:

Oh yeah, AWOL was always gonna be a stretch, he’d have been picked up by now for sure.

lol idk, I met a dude that was AWOL for a good ten year stretch of the forever war who only came back because he felt obligated to. Then he went AWOL again lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmao I ain't off grid, definitely not AWOL. even while quitting OCS I'd have remembered if someone mentioned that to me

my main question pertains applying to jobs though, they all ask about military service and I'd rather wash my hands of the ordeal than discuss it but I assume if an army doctor handled my nuts at MEPS I'm obligated to check that box for all eternity and then tick the shameful "not a protected veteran" box right after

I've waffled between that and just saying no military service but I've gotten just a couple interviews over the last decade so I'm wondering if it's my history or I'm just a bad person nobody is willing to hire

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
Imo tracking down military records is pretty much always a wasted effort. It’s likely that you received an administrative discharge as others mentioned, your story tracks with a person I know that left in relatively similar circumstances. (Found out his mother had cancer in c school, insisted on leaving to spend time with her, signed a few forms and was gone the next day.) I’m pretty sure you’ve got to be a habitual fuckup or murder someone in order to get a bad discharge. Or I guess piss hot maybe. Also if you do end up finding it out, there’s not much you can effectively do about it anyways.

Nobody is going to run a background check before at least giving you a call/email, because it costs money. If you have a solid work history and an MBA, it’s probably something a bit simpler like the composition of your resume is weird, or there’s something in your resume that is contradictory. The only thing that comes to mind is that maybe they see the MBA and a history of hourly jobs and just assume there’s something hosed up going on, in that case I’d embellish a bit. They’ll generally only ask previous employers for confirmation of your start and end dates, and it’s usually a third party that does it anyways.

While looking for a new job over the past 6 mo or so, only occasionally did they ask about my military history besides the regular EEOC question, which I’d just not disclose in your case. But maybe that has something to do with the field I was applying for.

As for filling out applications, I’d just put no or n/a if you have to. They’re almost certainly not running a background check before talking to you, so it’s irrelevant at least up to that point, especially since it was so long ago and not part of your work history. You shouldn’t be listing it on your work history, if you happen to be doing so.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Sep 25, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Pissing hot can earn you one of a variety of discharges, depending on how the command wants to handle it. Worst I knew personally still came out with a general OTH discharge that he got upgraded to honorable somehow a few years later. He pissed hot to dodge Iraq and was gone before his unit deployed a month later, didn't even gently caress with making him hammer out his NJP. Definitely met a few folks over the years with honorables after pissing hot.

I don't imagine the military has changed their drug testing methods and thresholds either, so those are probably still just a gallon of water, creatine and vitamin B complex from passable at any time. Dilution is the solution to the pollution, I would say. Even without that, just self reporting to the substance abuse program before an announced drug test will preserve an honorable discharge, if you chose to leave after.

Getting nailed repeatedly on tests would probably fall back towards a bad conduct discharge, but again, command decision and if you're already a troublemaker or frequent flyer in the command office, it'll be easier to write a bad conduct discharge.

I've only ever met one person with a dishonorable discharge. He was buying coke and shot his dealer, did 15 years for murder in a civ prison. Navy sent his discharge to him in prison. He died of a massive heart attack earlier this year, about 45, working as a welder when he could get work, which was not often.

If you're gonna do drugs in the military, study for your tests, and don't murder your dealer.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
There is an ELS discharge which is entry level. Basically not part of the normal five, which sounds appropriate for this dude's scenario.

Also, it's the military, so there is no way anyone involved did this poo poo correctly. Just omit your military service. If it did not enhance your resume, highlight experiences that did.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
The VA is doing flu shots. I got mine free, super easy like within the last few days I think.

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug
Yep. Went in for my yearly checkup and scored a flu shot and a shingles shot. Thanks VA.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Booger Presley posted:

Yep. Went in for my yearly checkup and scored a flu shot and a shingles shot. Thanks VA.

They do shingles shots? Shingles can gently caress right off, I need that shot

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

Yeah I was surprised they offered it out of the blue. The nurse thought it was funny I was so enthusiastic about free shots.

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?
Anyone have experience with the GI Bill reimbursement for certifications and licenses? https://www.va.gov/education/about-gi-bill-benefits/how-to-use-benefits/test-fees/

That page says you can submit online but everything I find on the GI Bill and VA websites about submission just point back to that page above. I figure I'll mail in a copy to the address listed on the form but I'd be much happier submitting a digital copy as well to have a (hopefully) more clear and reliable trail to follow-up on, if needed.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Booger Presley posted:

Yeah I was surprised they offered it out of the blue. The nurse thought it was funny I was so enthusiastic about free shots.

I’ve had shingles twice and that motherfucker sucks all the poo poo. How I got it twice I don’t even know I didn’t know it was possible

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

It’s not 100% effective but it’s pretty good. Did not work for me. I just keep Acyclovir and Gabapentin on hand. As soon as I feel the tingle of a coming outbreak I take the acyclovir. 90% of the time that keeps the outbreak in check. If it’s a painful outbreak I take the gabapentin because it seems to help with the shingles nerve pain. I don’t take it until I have pain from an outbreak, and it may or may not be a placebo affect, who knows.

Refilling Acyclovir every year is so funny because it’s herpes pills and I always feel judged.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

UPDATE: got my biggest job interview in over two years for a finance position with my city (health insurance for the first time in a decade!)

I do not put my brief service on my resume but I do say I served and tick the 'not a protected veteran' box on job applications just because I don't want to be caught lying. Interview started out as "good morning! first things first, thank you so much for your service, let's talk about that!" They obviously saw my omission of my time in the army on my resume and were passive-aggressively calling me on it, but I think I answered well and the rest of the interview was honestly pretty good. My main focus is public sector at the moment, should I still consider leaving off the military entirely? I've never done that before, though I get why in the private sector they could just overlook that kind of omission.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

i say swears online posted:

UPDATE: got my biggest job interview in over two years for a finance position with my city (health insurance for the first time in a decade!)

I do not put my brief service on my resume but I do say I served and tick the 'not a protected veteran' box on job applications just because I don't want to be caught lying. Interview started out as "good morning! first things first, thank you so much for your service, let's talk about that!" They obviously saw my omission of my time in the army on my resume and were passive-aggressively calling me on it, but I think I answered well and the rest of the interview was honestly pretty good. My main focus is public sector at the moment, should I still consider leaving off the military entirely? I've never done that before, though I get why in the private sector they could just overlook that kind of omission.

Honestly if it’s not relevant to the position(s) for which you’re applying, and it’s also hurting you more than anything else (as in, they are wanting to talk about it with you and/or possibly think your service is relevant) I would leave it out.

But congrats on your interview! Let us know how that turns out!

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

It’s not 100% effective but it’s pretty good. Did not work for me. I just keep Acyclovir and Gabapentin on hand. As soon as I feel the tingle of a coming outbreak I take the acyclovir. 90% of the time that keeps the outbreak in check. If it’s a painful outbreak I take the gabapentin because it seems to help with the shingles nerve pain. I don’t take it until I have pain from an outbreak, and it may or may not be a placebo affect, who knows.

Refilling Acyclovir every year is so funny because it’s herpes pills and I always feel judged.

https://youtu.be/rJ9pZjbh5Uc

Hey shim, is the commercial true? Do you suddenly start riding horses and kayaking simply by adding meds?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

TheWeedNumber posted:

https://youtu.be/rJ9pZjbh5Uc

Hey shim, is the commercial true? Do you suddenly start riding horses and kayaking simply by adding meds?

I may have genital herpes, but I won’t let it get me down!

*kicks bag*

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
Please don't poo poo up the resource threads.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

McNally posted:

Please don't poo poo up the resource threads.

But look at that commercial McNally. It’s loving peak “my life is better than yours WITH ONE SIMPLE PILL”

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Looking at buying a house. It seems like the VA loan (no PMI, no down payment but we're doing one anyway, a 2.2% interest rate) is ...almost universally better than a conventional loan? After years of GI Bill overpayments and missed payments, I can't believe that anything VA-related could actually be good? What am I missing?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Eason the Fifth posted:

Looking at buying a house. It seems like the VA loan (no PMI, no down payment but we're doing one anyway, a 2.2% interest rate) is ...almost universally better than a conventional loan? After years of GI Bill overpayments and missed payments, I can't believe that anything VA-related could actually be good? What am I missing?

It takes longer to close using a VA loan. There is also a contingency that has to be present in the sales contract that gives you the option to back out of the sale if the VA appraisal comes back lower than what the loan you are seeking is.

With how hot the housing market was over the summer, some sellers didn’t want to wait the time it took to work through the process.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Typically the VA likes poo poo to be fixed too, so no buying a home with a leaking roof or a poo poo foundation unless the PO is fixing it. VA loans want inspections, and people aren't waiting around for a home inspector these days to close.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Plus some VA appraisers are assholes and intentionally undervalue a home, then ignore comps, for no reason at all. If they are sent the features list and the comps, they will grunt like an old man being told to go to the doctor and chop $5000-7000 off the value, thereby loving you over on buying the house because the sellers understandably aren’t interested in dropping the price to appraisal value and you don’t have the extra cash to cover the difference

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
You may not have a good time with the VA loan process depending on your location. If your housing market is hot, you’ll find that all the inspections and contingency process puts you behind not just all cash offers but also most regular loans.

It worked great for me, but we waited until the market was a buyers market (Like 7 years ago) and we had a huge amount of cash (ok, $20k isn’t huge to some, but I’m like permanently enlisted in my mind so it’s a lot to me) in the event the appraisal was short. Luckily, we appraised $20k above asking, and we loving dove on this house.

So in short, VA loans are a land of contrasts. I hope you have success with yours. Just because it can be a pain doesn’t necessarily mean that it will be one. You can always try for a conventional home loan if you find the VA route is holding you back.

Best of luck man, your on an exciting and hopefully rewarding journey. Buying a house is a big grown up step in life, and I hope it goes well for you, brother.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Yeah I should also mention that we are set to close on our house Oct 28th and I am using a VA loan through Navy Fed. Talking with my realtor, we offered asking price on the house to make up for the increased hassle on the sellers end with me going the VA loan route. The savings difference with no PMI and having a disability rating (no origination fees) more than made up the ~20k difference in what I was going to offer and the asking price.

Navy Fed has been pretty good about harassing the right people to keep us moving through the process on schedule and right now things are on track for us to close on time.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
We used VA loan in both San Diego and Seattle markets and it never once factored in to losing us an offer, and still won us more than a couple; there's a very specific setup where it would probably come into play with literally everything else in the offers being equal, at which point sellers will most likely just go with the conventional over VA. This never happened to us over 6 months of offering and you're going to probably lose out due to the same reasons everyone else is (higher offers, cash only, waived contingencies, etc.)instead, and we actually had one offer accepted $3K under the highest because sellers were vets (do not count on this happening, though!). Realistically, we found that the type of loan (VA vs Conventional) was basically inconsequential; what was more important was your lender as sellers prefer local lenders who can reliably close quickly and effectively and a VA loan with a local lender was always preferred to a Conventional loan with a random faceless online mortgage company or bank.

Basically, yes, the VA loan is simply just better than a conventional in every way for you as the buyer (unless you're trying to pay way over in a house, or looking at a fixer-upper), especially at 2.2% (I can just get to 2.25% on a VA refinance and closed with 2.875% in March) and just has a couple extra steps/requirements (appraisal, VA inspection, pest inspection) which will not be a headache as long as your lender is on top of things, and is not likely to matter to the seller unless your offer is completely equal to others. If your offer is better it will almost definitely not matter to the sellers at all.

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Oct 12, 2021

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Thanks for all the info, fellas. It's already helping a lot for us planning our way forward. :cheerdoge:

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Eason the Fifth posted:

I am closing on a house this Monday, and I used a VA loan through Veterans United. My offer was accepted on 18 Sept and I'm closing 18 Oct, precisely 1 month later. It didn't take me long at all.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I've had 2x good experiences using a VA loan. Current one is with Navy Fed, whom I had such a good experience with I immediately financed a car through.

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006
I am going to school through vocrehab right now. I live in the SF Bay Area and was attending school at a community college in the east bay. I transferred schools recently to finish undergrad out in the Central Valley and my bah was cut in half because of the school zip code even though I live in the bay. I can’t move because my wife and I rely on family for child care and she is also a care taker for her mother. Is there anything I can do to improve the bah? The school I attended is one of two schools in the state with an accredited program so it’s not like I can attended a different school or anything like that.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Have you talked to your voc rehab counselor about it? That'd be stop one for me.

The Sheriff Jake
May 8, 2006
Yeah, she said there’s nothing she can do on her end and gave me her bosses number. I have emailed and called the boss but can’t get a call back from them. My vocrehab office is terrible. I was just really hoping maybe someone new an instance where someone got an exception or anything like that.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
So I have an update on my VR&E bullshit.

VA received my supplemental claim and documentation on September 13th. After giving them some time I reached out to my senator's office and said "poke them with a stick please." They poked the VA with a stick and the VA asked for two weeks to respond.

Two weeks have come and gone without a response. My case worker at the senator's office said she reached out again and the VA said she'd get a response "shortly." I expect that to be sometime after I finish my PhD in 2035.

Is there anyone else I can reach out to? This isn't a disability appeal, it's not supposed to take years to resolve. It's a goddamned supplemental claim on a VR&E application that was denied for reasons that don't apply to my case.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Sounds like its moving at the speed of government. I have faith that you'll have an answer in the next few days. The greenie weenie never stops. I'm sorry you're going through this.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

How do I prove service connection on things like tinnitus, like ten years after I got out? I’m looking at contacting DAV to help me see if I can get a disability rating after the fact, but of course I failed to get it documented properly at my final out medical back in 2012 because I felt there was a stigma on it and I didn’t have any grievous injuries or anything so I thought I kinda didn’t deserve a disability rating or whatever. I think differently now because I put in my years of service, and the army fucks up your body in your twenties as much as it naturally would be in your mid-late forties.

Also my wife is pushing for me to apply for a rating because honestly we could use the money. I’m worried it’s gonna be more trouble than it’s worth, but I also think they ask a lot of people in the military, physically. That said my five years of free VA coverage due to combat deployments ran out in 2017.

Anyway I’m seeing a new doctor (civilian not VA) and got a physical, and informed him of some problems I’ve had since I was in—this made me think of getting a disability rating and I wondered if the VA would consider civilian doctors post-ETS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I think after the great ear plug debacle, tinnitus can be presumed if claimed, being that there was a lawsuit over the double enders.

It's worth it to have the DAV go over your medical records and file on your behalf. Takes about 6 months now from filing to answer on ratings. Go through your file and make note of what's present that's relevant now, then talk to the DAV.

Also, you can still use the VA after your 5 year window. They'll want to sit down and go over your finances, but if you don't make a whole lot anyhow, the most you'll get is billed is like, $8 per prescription/refill. If you're making pretty decent money, they may give you a bill, but it will be significantly cheaper than any visit to a private facility.

My example for that is my brother, who never deployed. He gets his diabetes medication through the VA, his endocrinologist is at the VA, his GP is at the VA, no disability ratings, he pays for prescriptions only, he's been out of the military for nearly 15 years. If you're a veteran, you can always use the VA, they'll just write you a bill if your income is high enough for them to care (I do not know what this threshold is, but it exists, probably case by case anyhow).

Having a rating helps more than just a monthly tax free check. It eliminates funding fees for mortgages, opens the door to voc rehab (post 9/11 gi bill on mild steroids), often cheaper or free license plates depending on your state. Do it, it's worth it.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Oct 29, 2021