Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
I don't get the 3rd monitor hate, it is much less expensive than an iPad using sidecar or completely different Window's system, I'm not planing on doing Teams video chats on it, it's just my workflow already involves using both of my moniors and it would be nice to put like iMessage when I am chatting with a friend instead of juggling windows.

DisplayLink is now native M1 and I'm using it to drive a relatively low resolution display so I am optimistic for using it for just like text windows.

TraderStav posted:

Save yourself a headache and get a few iPad minis that only show your email, weather, etc.

About that:

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

drat that's a narrow room.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

drat that's a narrow room.

We live in a 80 year old house, it was a sun porch that was converted into probably a nursery decades before we owned it. Impractical for a bedroom, although it is legally considered one, but perfect size for a home office, which is what we use it for.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Three Olives posted:

I don't get the 3rd monitor hate, it is much less expensive than an iPad using sidecar or completely different Window's system, I'm not planing on doing Teams video chats on it, it's just my workflow already involves using both of my moniors and it would be nice to put like iMessage when I am chatting with a friend instead of juggling windows.

DisplayLink is now native M1 and I'm using it to drive a relatively low resolution display so I am optimistic for using it for just like text windows.

About that:

I’m surprised you don’t already have a third display (fourth display? Fifth display?) running some camera/intercom feeds so you can keep an eye on the neighborhood and yell at kids having fun remotely from the comfort of your Dubai themed desktop like a lovely high-tech yuppie Boo Radley

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Three olives
Making copies

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

I’m surprised you don’t already have a third display (fourth display? Fifth display?) running some camera/intercom feeds so you can keep an eye on the neighborhood and yell at kids having fun remotely from the comfort of your Dubai themed desktop like a lovely high-tech yuppie Boo Radley

We have 11 HD security cameras, they are scheduled for a serious overhaul but please give us a moment while we prioritize our upgrades.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

You do not need anymore screens holy poo poo

Just have a window on your two screens that’s for iMessage, and when you get a notification look at the messages window. Or use your phone. Or get an iPad I guess. Whatever, it’s your thing.

I had a friend of mine who had 4 37” 4K screens and three of them ran separate instances of stock market data and one of them was where he had every thing else he was actually doing on his computer. Including looking at stock market data that was also being shown on one of the other three screens.

I loving hate the future

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

jokes posted:

Just have a window on your two screens that’s for iMessage, and when you get a notification look at the messages window. Or use your phone. Or get an iPad I guess. Whatever, it’s your thing.

I had a friend of mine who had 4 37” 4K screens and three of them ran separate instances of stock market data and one of them was where he had every thing else he was actually doing on his computer. Including looking at stock market data that was also being shown on one of the other three screens.

I loving hate the future

I just went for 3 screens down to one and it’s seriously helping with my ADHD and I’m more productive.

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)

LionArcher posted:

I just went for 3 screens down to one and it’s seriously helping with my ADHD and I’m more productive.

Almost there...

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

LionArcher posted:

What if you went down to zero screens and just stared at a pomodoro timer that would be pretty great hyperfocus

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Three Olives posted:

Anyone have much experience with DisplayLink with M1s?
Countless YouTubers.

But yeah iPad + Sidecar now, and/or Continuity when Monterey comes out.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Three Olives posted:

About that:

You’re computer room has an awesome set up

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bob Morales posted:

Three olives
Making copies

Lmao

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Three Olives posted:

Anyone have much experience with DisplayLink with M1s?

I'm using it for a second external monitor, a 24" Benq, with the 16GB M1 pro. The "main" monitor is a 34" LG 4k monitor. Both are to a dock via HDMI. I also keep my laptop open because sometimes I shove windows over to it instead of minimizing them.

Anyway, long story short is that it's much, much better than on my old 16GB Pro Intel, which would freak out if I combined DisplayLink with anything even moderately resource intensive. That said, I don't game. I sometimes have videos running on the Benq, but I don't notice a difference.

The "only" annoying thing is that I cannot yet rotate the Benq monitor to vertical, because I'd much, much prefer it that way. My setup is kinda weird right now but whatever, these are the monitors I have. Speaking of "whatever, I'm using the stuff I have," I'm using a plugable dock that officially isn't supported with the M1's, but it works basically fine. If I wake the laptop from sleep with the dock attached, it'll fail to find the Benq and I have to unplug and re-plug in the cord. However, since there's an unrelated (but very common) problem that my M1 also reboots itself if it goes to sleep with a magic mouse attached, I've just stopped letting it go to sleep if it's on my desk.

jokes posted:

I don't use extra screens for permanent Spotify, stocks or weather stuff, but I find the extra real estate *extremely* useful when giving presentations on Zoom, Teams, etc., and I need to share my screen. I need one to see my audience, one for whatever it is I'm sharing, and then one extra for notes, or windows that I don't want other people to see *yet* but I can drag over any time, etc. The extra monitors also help my brain compartmentalize where everything is so that I can reference what I need.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Bob Morales posted:

Three olives
Making copies

God this was perfect. Thank you

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Not sure why people are making GBS threads on his home office. Looks nice compared to 99% of the desktops that get shared. :shrug:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Yeast posted:

Not sure why people are making GBS threads on his home office. Looks nice compared to 99% of the desktops that get shared. :shrug:

my home office is a desk and shelves full of RPG books, it's extremely nice compared to three olives'

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Yeast posted:

20% of it is making GBS threads on his home office and 80% of it is ragging on Three Olives because some old-rear end SA traditions shouldn’t die just yet

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not happy with the quality of the panel in the monitor I bought, but it was an $85 test and I am sure I will find some other repurposing use for it at some point. But it works for what I intended.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Base model M1 Macbook Air is on sale for $849 at Amazon and Best Buy.
Best Buy open box units start at $760 if you can find on in your area.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/macbook-air-13-3-laptop-apple-m1-chip-8gb-memory-256gb-ssd-latest-model-space-gray/5721600.p?skuId=5721600

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

eww, an Intel Mac

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
this thing fucks

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

FCKGW posted:

Base model M1 Macbook Air is on sale for $849 at Amazon and Best Buy.
Best Buy open box units start at $760 if you can find on in your area.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/macbook-air-13-3-laptop-apple-m1-chip-8gb-memory-256gb-ssd-latest-model-space-gray/5721600.p?skuId=5721600

Inventory clean out?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Inventory clean out?

Inshallah

I want iBook colors on the MacBook Air and I want them now

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Ok Comboomer posted:

Inshallah

I want iBook colors on the MacBook Air and I want them now

:pray:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Didn't realise I wanted a Tangerine MacBook Air until now

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Didn't realise I wanted a Tangerine MacBook Air until now

finally we can all be like the second girl from hit Disney Channel series So Weird

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I sold my 8GB M1 air recently and was waiting to see what comes next so I can get a 16GB. Would love a purple Air

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Inventory clean out?

They’ve done $899 a few times (Best Buy did $799 with student discount but I think that was a stacking discount error) but this one’s a new low I believe.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

HyperShop now sells a 10-in-1 USB-C hub that they claim will let M1 Airs and Pros use two 4K displays at once over HDMI (one at 60 Hz and the other at 30 Hz.)

They sell it for $199 pre-order pricing.

https://www.hypershop.com/products/hyperdrive-dual-hdmi-10-in-1-usb-c-hub

They also have a simpler 3-in-1 USB-C hub that does the same thing, it gives you one 100 W PD USB-C power delivery port and two HDMI ports, also offering 4K at 60 and 30 Hz for only $130.

https://www.hypershop.com/products/hyperdrive-dual-4k-hdmi-adaptor-for-m1-macbook

The marketing speak says they were able to do this by utilizing a "Hybrid USB Display design that combines DP Alt Mode and Silicon Motion InstantView plug-n-play video technology that does not require software drivers"

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 12, 2021

jimtech
Nov 25, 2005
Hail to the king baby...

For what it's worth, I had no issues with using a USB C dock with my M1 Mac Mini. Had a 34in 3440x1440p and a 27in 1440p displays connected to the dock with another 27in 1440p connected using a DP to USB C Cable. Mostly static stuff on the displays. No gaming or anything with an occasional youtube video on one of the displays.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

jimtech posted:

For what it's worth, I had no issues with using a USB C dock with my M1 Mac Mini. Had a 34in 3440x1440p and a 27in 1440p displays connected to the dock with another 27in 1440p connected using a DP to USB C Cable. Mostly static stuff on the displays. No gaming or anything with an occasional youtube video on one of the displays.

the mini explicitly supports two external displays, though, while the mba/mbp do not

jimtech
Nov 25, 2005
Hail to the king baby...

mediaphage posted:

the mini explicitly supports two external displays, though, while the mba/mbp do not

More to the point is that USB C docks can work fine depending on what you use them for.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

:siren: :siren: :siren: ITS HAPPENING :siren: :siren: :siren:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

:siren: ITS HAPPENING :siren:

https://youtu.be/z5U9QRiY46I

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Have the promo movie

https://twitter.com/gregjoz/status/1447956519132151810

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Binary Badger posted:

:siren: :siren: :siren: ITS HAPPENING :siren: :siren: :siren:

I want nothing more than for this to be an Airtag refresh or something.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Baronash posted:

I want nothing more than for this to be an Airtag refresh or something.

Return of ipod socks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Apple Pencil 3