Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Has anyone used the yamaha sequencer app. From the pictures it looks like an evolution of the qy sequencer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
The new SP404 MK2 looks like it's going to be pretty interesting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPonbv-H5TI

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Too bad I’m no longer allowed to look at new hardware :twisted:

self imposed, RIP my willpower :lol:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Too bad I’m no longer allowed to look at new hardware :twisted:

self imposed, RIP my willpower :lol:

My new rule is every time I get GAS I put the amount equal to the purchase in savings (if I have it) and have to wait 3 months.

I have an OP1 and I need to get off my rear end and get Ableton (waiting to see the BF deals). Even if I go dawless eventually I should be waiting.

I almost bought a MPC One this weekend and that went into savings.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah all my GAS is funded through my “play money” account so I’m never really putting myself in financial jeopardy due to hobbies. The downside is that my play account is split between ALL my hobbies and a bunch of motorcycle parts and the MPC1k have kind of put a dent in there, to the point where I really want to top up before I do anything else irresponsibly impulsive.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I synthesized a flute patch today and it only took me like 30 minutes :slick: i cheated by analyzing a C note on a flute

Also, what's the difference between a physical sequencer and a sequencer app on like an iPad or a Switch? Just that one has buttons and the other a touch screen? I'm considering one on the iPad so I can shoot up in the middle of the night and record a snippet, but IDK if there's anything I'm missing from a physical machine.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 11, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It’ll probably vary wildly from software to software and from sequencer to sequencer but in general I think that the enjoyment of tactile feedback of hardware vs ipad screen mashing is good. Beyond that I’d be hardpressed to imagine what you couldn’t do with software outside of the fact that the ipad doesn’t have any midi or multiple MIDI in/outs other than what you adapt via USB-C or lightning.

For me it’s all about the mental hurdle of “real hardware is cool and software is just a toy” which is 100% wrong but somehow still feels correct (to me :D)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kinda feels the other way around for me. Physical modules are good for experimentation and sketching and the literal experience of playing music, but DAWs with VSTs and sequencers/trackers seem to be what most people use in actual production. So, the tinkering happens in the physical, and pen to paper happens in software.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

It doesn't need to be one or the other, or any set way. If that's what feels best for you, great. I think that once you have a way of creating that feels comfortable to you, changing it up and going counter to your usual methods might yield new and interesting results.

(I'm thinking in the broad sense. As could be applied to any creative process)

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

There's some incredible iOS stuff out there. Koala Sampler and AUM come to mind. Korg Gadget is neat too and could be a good sketch pad for you.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

A MIRACLE posted:

Has anyone used the yamaha sequencer app. From the pictures it looks like an evolution of the qy sequencer

Which Yamaha app is that? "Mobile Music Sequencer," or something else?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ok Comboomer posted:

If you can afford to spend several hundred dollars on a sequencing device and you don’t have a basic iPad you should get one, ideally one with a USB port but even a basic one with Lightning for like $250 works wonders as a controller

I actually kind of have a sequencing device in the Novation Circuit, I’m more interested in a discrete FM synth for the fm sound.

The circuit has a synth but you can only make macros, not really change things that I want to. And something like a digitone would be a second synth with quite a different sound from the hydrasynth.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

They have a cheaper simplified fm synth called "model:cycles", I don't have experience with elektron stuff though.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Anybody look at the MegaFM? My buddy is getting one as his first FM synth and I’m curious what the learning curve is gonna be like for him.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Pollyanna posted:

Also, what's the difference between a physical sequencer and a sequencer app on like an iPad or a Switch? Just that one has buttons and the other a touch screen? I'm considering one on the iPad so I can shoot up in the middle of the night and record a snippet, but IDK if there's anything I'm missing from a physical machine.

physical has immediacy, software has depth and options. having tactile switches and a chase light is a really good way to lay down beats, but can be super awkward if you're putting in chords for a polysynth.

that being said, if yamaha made a microtonal rm1x, I doubt I would ever touch reaper again

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Rolo posted:

Anybody look at the MegaFM? My buddy is getting one as his first FM synth and I’m curious what the learning curve is gonna be like for him.

That looks neat, where are they getting YM2612s from?

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

echinopsis posted:

Maybe one will pop up on the second hand market soon.

If you're not already in the Melbourne Synth Buy/Sell and Aussie Wigglers facebook groups they pop up there from time to time for $1000aud +- $100 and it shouldn't be too hard to convince someone to ship one to you. Australia post is having a hard time at the moment though so maybe suggest they use a courier.

Digitones are rad fun, you'll have a good time if you find elektron workflow works for you. It's my go-to "dick around for 30 minutes in bed" box

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh no, I want a volca. Actually, I want three volcas :negative:

brand engager posted:

That looks neat, where are they getting YM2612s from?

FPGAs? :v:

Edit: oh jesus hardware spectrum analyzers are hundreds of dollars lmao no ill just check that in renoise

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 12, 2021

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

brand engager posted:

They have a cheaper simplified fm synth called "model:cycles", I don't have experience with elektron stuff though.

i have one and it’s very good but mostly used for drums and you can’t really change the algorithms or anything like that. i get a lot of use out of it but it’s not a replacement for a digitone

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Concatenation posted:

If you're not already in the Melbourne Synth Buy/Sell and Aussie Wigglers facebook groups they pop up there from time to time for $1000aud +- $100 and it shouldn't be too hard to convince someone to ship one to you. Australia post is having a hard time at the moment though so maybe suggest they use a courier.

Digitones are rad fun, you'll have a good time if you find elektron workflow works for you. It's my go-to "dick around for 30 minutes in bed" box

Good to know

yeah it does look like fun, plus I really like the aesthetic.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

The Voice of Labor posted:

that being said, if yamaha made a microtonal rm1x, I doubt I would ever touch reaper again

make no changes to the partials on offer and I'm still in

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Add me as a supporter of the model cycles. It's definitely more of a drum synth but there is a tone generator that you can get some neat sounds out of and with some finagling some of the other percussive sounds can be made into interesting things as well.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

Kinda feels the other way around for me. Physical modules are good for experimentation and sketching and the literal experience of playing music, but DAWs with VSTs and sequencers/trackers seem to be what most people use in actual production. So, the tinkering happens in the physical, and pen to paper happens in software.

I think the only reason I have this mindset is that my first introduction to electronic music on the computer was Reason (2) where everything was literally a knockoff of a real device. I had a great time with that but all I could think about was "man I bet this would be so much more fun with 'the real thing'" and that's just kind of stuck with me to this day.

So yeah, just want to stress that that's entirely my subjective opinion. Your viewpoint is probably much more in line with reality. It's 100% not at all accurate that VSTs and software based components are in any way inferior or even somehow less instrumental (no pun intended) in music, especially today where either 99% of what I hear is probably mostly done in software, or at least running on hardware which is nothing but a control surface to a software implementation. But somehow still in my head as "hardware is more fun".

I think the best example of this is the MPC One which in practice is actually just a (literal) Linux machine, a gaudy touchscreen, and an MPD grafted together. There may be some ASICS in there that do something useful but on the whole it's just a little custom computer running software that could easily be implemented as a VST (or is otherwise basically just the MPC Desktop software running on Linux)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Oct 12, 2021

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010
Yup, for me as well, I'd love to have more physical modules and such but to be honest it's just so much more convenient and practical with VSTs. The piece I'm working on now probably has a ridiculous number of automation tracks and that type of thing just isn't possible to that extent physically. Plus, let's be honest here, who has the place and cash for physical modules? Some of them sound lovely but at this point in time soft synths are also incredibly powerful and amazing. I'm still loving Omnisphere 2 and with custom samples, convolution and lots of FX from other plugins, the possibilities are endless.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
more like the possibilities of failure are endless

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh no I absolutely agree that machines are fun and have a playful quality to them, and I’m not gonna lie I’ve gotten bit by the bug :negative: Maybe just a MIDI controller for now.

echinopsis posted:

https://youtu.be/fBCcM6GVLOU?t=13s

abske_fides
Apr 20, 2010

echinopsis posted:

That's the case any time anyone picks up anything artistic though.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm all for keeping my GAS under control but there's a probably 20 year old pre-M-Audio Oxygen 8 midi controller with no controls and a big midi slider for midi select for like $40CDN with freeship. Even if it sucks and is broken in every way possible I feel like $40 is an acceptable "eh I gambled and I lost" sum of money to try to solve my "I want a minimal midi keyboard controller" puzzle.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I need more space and a better workstation (i.e. desk) before I can think of getting more than one piece of hardware.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Pollyanna posted:

I need more space and a better workstation (i.e. desk) before I can think of getting more than one piece of hardware.

Same. Op-1, a guitar and a laptop while im in this small apartment is about all I can fit right now.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

i would like a fat mono and a nice poly and then i’m pretty set for now

but yeah i like making a rough sketch on the hardware and then finishing it up in the daw. maybe at some point i’ll be a curmudgeon with a dedicated sequencer and 400 keyboards who records everything onto a tape recorder but for now i’m content using a DAW

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I hate spending on routing, cabling, mixers, bigger interface etc that comes with hardware. That's why I went back to software basically.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
My OP-1 is still keeping my GAS in check because I live under a bridge after buying it.

I recorded my first album side last night. Saved it on my computer. Time to nuke it and start over :getin:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Lots of tiny projects is way better than a few massive projects.

My friend has a Microbrute that I might try out next I see her, I heard it’s alright.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Lots of tiny projects is way better than a few massive projects.

My friend has a Microbrute that I might try out next I see her, I heard it’s alright.
I was getting this feeling on my own. Good to read some confirmation. I've been doing a patch from scratch in vcv rack every day after work. Right from picking out individual modules, up to recording a jam.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIN2LvfPdCc

My god this thing sounds great.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The better you get at tiny projects, the more confidence you’ll have in big projects. That, and the more expertise you can bring to them.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I find it less overwhelming if I just focus on one small aspect at a time, with the simple goals of seeing what I can learn, and having fun. Large goals, or what might be a very simple, second nature thing for a seasoned musician are still way outside of my grasp as of yet.
The big advantage of this is the fact that since I know so little, and have such a short time engaged in this line of discovery, I can't help but learn many new things.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I suddenly feel vindicated pulling my old LeCroy scope from storage to sit next to my synth :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

SP404MK2 review just dropped:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXc48ApD-Kg