Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

looks like the nuclear winter finally came (also rather Silent Hill)

that does look like possibly the best AO in NV yet---though the indoors pic is too dark for my taste---but if you're saying it's resource intensive i don't think i'll bother. i get occasional dips to 30 as is (though vulkan has helped a tonne)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah, it's quite expensive. Though I'm also going to play with MXAO, which he's apparently been releasing new, improved betas of to his github. That seems a lot cheaper than ENB's AO so if the quality is as good or better it may be a good alternative.

The CAS sharpener is quite neat, by the way. The detail on the van's side textures for eg shows that shader adding info to the scene. E: I don't usually go hunting for this kind of detail, but it's actually noticeable in the game, so.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The MXAO shader does a pretty decent job - better than ENB I think - if you enable MXAO_HIGH_QUALITY in its preprocessor definitions. That's at the bottom of its configuration in the ReShade UI. The source says this: "Enables a different, more physically accurate but slower SSAO mode. Based on Ground Truth Ambient Occlusion by Activision."

It's not very expensive - I go up a few % of GPU usage and don't actually drop frames because there's a lot of free GPU with Vulkan. Unlike ENB which mostly maxes out my GPU, though actual frame cost will depend on your setup. Worth checking out if you want AO.

Here's what I'm picking when installing ReShade into FNV:
- Vulkan global mode, of course.
- The top 3 shader sets which are IIRC: the base shaders that come with ReShade, the SweetFX suite, the qUINT suite.
- From SweetFX I'm using AMD CAS and SMAA.
- From qUINT, just MXAO.
- LUT and other useful shaders are available in both those packages and many others.

If I don't stick with RTGI, not going back to ENB when MXAO can do a better job for cheaper.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

this is ridiculously well done lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOJLDHnuHkg

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Yeah, especially like that pipboy ref at the end. :)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Eric the Mauve posted:

So, I am bad at computers.

I got a new machine and thought it might be cool to install the VNV suite all the cool kids rave about, right? But, well, and I'm embarrassed to admit this--which is why I'm trying admitting it to you goons before enduring the ridicule I will no doubt receive if I admit it in the VNV or MO2 discords--I can't get the game to launch with mods at all.

Does anyone have any guesses as to what it might be?

So, remember all that from a few pages back?

I bought the game from GOG and installed it outside /Program Files and sure enough, that was the entire problem. Everything worked perfectly first go.

PSA, don't be dumb like me and let Steam install games in /Program Files.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Rinkles posted:

Can't get Nvidia AO to work. I've done it before and it actually also requires Nvidia Inspector, but for whatever reason it won't work.

v1ld posted:

Do you have to turn off anti-aliasing from within the game to get NVidia AO to work? Or does their Inspector tool do that for you automatically if you enable AO within it?

Nvidia AO is built into the standard nvidia control panel, you don't need to download inspector to take advantage of it. Forcing aa and anisotropic filtering through the control panel won't work if you're using the vulkan wrapper and I assume that extends to the ao as well, though I havent actually tested that. If you're not using the vulkan wrapper then all that should be required is toggling ao on in the nvidia control panel. To force aa you want to set it to "enhance application settings" and make sure the ingame aa is enabled as well.

Personally I don't use vulkan since the game runs smoothly already at 60fps and with my lovely 1600x900 monitor I really miss having 4x supersampling aa

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Proletarian Mango posted:

Nvidia AO is built into the standard nvidia control panel, you don't need to download inspector to take advantage of it.

I'm pretty sure that has never worked from the control panel.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Rinkles posted:

I'm pretty sure that has never worked from the control panel.

I remember it not working once upon a time too but maybe at some point they fixed it because it works for me and has been for a while at this point.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/73873

quote:

The Oregon Trail - A Unique Trail Carbine

The Oregon Trail is literally something the three of us came up with on a whim and decided to put together because, as it turns out, there are NO unique Trail Carbines in the base game!

So, obviously, the solution was The Oregon Trail, a unique Trail Carbine with added poison damage to properly simulate that beloved dysentery we all know and love.

The weapon can be found in the wreckage of a caravan to the North, the latest in a long line of victims cursed to die.

quote:

Nexus requirements
Mod name Notes
Fallout - The Frontier Oregon State Flag texture

loving why tho?

*squints*
Oh, that figures.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Nobody has ever made a flag of Oregon outside of the Frontier. Please understand.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Proletarian Mango posted:

I remember it not working once upon a time too but maybe at some point they fixed it because it works for me and has been for a while at this point.

Thanks for checking, but it doesn't work on my end.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Wonder whether most energy weapons not having iron sights in vanilla is by purposeful design or just Obs running out of time. They're a very fun weapon class other than that one detail, having a surprising amount of variety.

I've just done the requisite largish patch to munge EVE into the load order just to get iron sights on some later energy weapons. It's the only mod with good iron sights coverage, sadly.

After mucking around for a little bit, I'm going to have to override EVE's sound and projectile particles back to vanilla, it's way over the top. Will probably reset all of the reload animation selections too.

At least it's possible to munge this stuff together yourself, hail Bethesda.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Don't energy weapons have iron sight mods that can be bought/crafted in vanilla? It's been a long time since I ran energy.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Some vanilla energy weapons have scope mods. Some have built in iron sights that work without mods. But unlike normal guns, many have neither.

EVE gives them all working iron sights, along with a bunch of other stuff that's over the top. There's a more recent mod that gives many Laser weapons and two Plasma guns iron sights, but doesn't make the ridiculous number of unrelated changes EVE does. But it's pretty limited in coverage.

It's not hard to tone down EVE's more bling-y changes with an xEdit patch which is what I'll end up doing. It's not a bad mod, just not very vanilla like in feel and took the kitchen sink approach to adding stuff.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

v1ld posted:

Wonder whether most energy weapons not having iron sights in vanilla is by purposeful design or just Obs running out of time.

The latter. Most weapons that don't have iron sights were holdovers from Fallout 3 where that wasn't a consideration.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
A World of Less Pain / AWOP Revised still has a lot of cooking to do. Sure, the fights aren't necessarily horrible anymore but there's nothing engaging within the dungeons. Great, 30 feral ghouls and the standard random loot items. Fine, I guess, but not worth really doing.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

That's kinda how I felt after doing the first few: ok, but kinda dull dungeons. I think I'll add the full on AWOP to the post game with FPGE if I wanted more FNV at that point - feels like that's one mod where a lite version isn't necessarily better than just embracing the madness.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Its good but I prefer Tony's adventures in Skyrim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDvGNLuSxZA

Also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIeAVCJOFiU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

[tangential topic] v1ld, any idea why I can't seem to force vsync via nvidia control panel in Oblivion, except when using the vulkan dll? (that is, it works with the dll file in the root folder but not otherwise). also I can't take screenshots with win+prntscrn but that might be the display tweaks fault.

so far I can't say whether it works as well for Oblivion as NV. Oblivion always ran well for me, except for when it would rarely suddenly chug for a second, and that's still there with vulkan.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I haven't had the luxury of an NVidia card in a while so I have no concrete idea, sorry. One possibility is that you're running the game in a (borderless) windowed mode and that prevents vsync for some reason.

Win 10 added Fullscreen Optimizations so you may want to play with that too as it allows bordeless window mode to have the same performance as full screen exclusive, in theory. I turned all of that on and have had no problems with it: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/demystifying-full-screen-optimizations/

But why that would intersect with the use of Vulkan, no idea. :shrug:

E: I meant try toggling Fullscreen Optimizations on the Oblivion exe.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 6, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Yeah it's definitely related to borderless windowed, forgot to mention that.

Thanks for the other tip.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Need help installing New Vegas Redesigned 3 (and ultimately Quinns improvements) using vortex. I installed FCO 2.3.1 as instructed, but when I go to install NVR3, which from what I understand is supposed to overwrite FCO, I never get that option. Same if I try to update to 4.4. The files don’t modify.

It looks like the install process is just creating separate folders in my FNM mods folder, instead of modifying the install files. I’m not sure how to install so it overwrites files.

I could just use mod manager but I really don’t feel like going through the process of setting up my mods again and would prefer to use Vortex if possible. I’ve seen videos of people playing it through Vortex so I know it’s possible, but I’m not sure how to do it. And the instructions on nexus mods for NVR3 or Quinn’s page didn’t help.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

theblackw0lf posted:

Need help installing New Vegas Redesigned 3

don't

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm not going to tell anyone what mods they should or shouldn't use. I still use some ancient mods that haven't been remade and I know they gently caress up my saves.

I will question why you'd use Vortex rather than Mod Organizer. It seems like every time there's an installation issue it stems from Vortez screwing up.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

MO2 really is in the "a couple hours now saves many hours later" category of time investments. VNV's MO2 section covers everything needed for an install, though you'd still need to reinstall all your mods with it so there's that.

VNV as a complete guide to a FNV run isn't great, it's got a singular vision of what's good and bad that's not for everyone. VNV as the basis for any modded run of FNV is fantastic - everything through the Bug Fixes section at the very least, though there are many good base mods in its other sections too.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

A couple hours is a vast overstatement. It takes 5 minutes to get mo2 set up.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Maybe, but you're not gonna understand most of how it does things in 5 minutes.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/659111746786558013/896355257305681960/doc_mitch.mp4

He chased me from the couch into the corner here before I could leave.

Something I did messed up Doc Mitchel, when I wake up he skips the dialogue about your name. Then after Better Character Creation he still does the couch bit but as soon as I sit down he hands me the Pipboy and other stuff. And finally has that whole thing going where he paths to me and initiates dialogue in proximity.

Gonna be fun figuring out what went wrong here.

e;
Fixed itself as soon as I tried to troubleshoot, first thing I did was reinstall/replace the BBC mod. And that did it.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Oct 9, 2021

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Hardcore Customization INI is a neat little mod that makes a number of hardcore mode variables available via simple INI edits. Pretty powerful in that you could turn off all food or sleep healing with a simple ini edit for example.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Any hot tips for maximizing LOD, gang? I'm the "30 is fine" framerate type so I think I can probably goose the draw distance a bit.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

See this post for the LOD settings I'm using. I followed VNV's new suggestions for mods improving LOD detail, which are taken directly from a much recommended but since deleted Reddit post I think.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Father Elijah Escapes - Dead Money
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/73332

quote:

If you decided to trap Elijah in the Sierra Madre Vault, he will escape and hunt you down after 3 days. Also includes a GOLD! Edition that makes him stronger the more gold bars you pick up.

GOLD! Edition: Same as the Standard Edition, except Elijah gets a health, DR, DT, and Crit Chance boost every time a gold bar is picked up, making him much tougher to fight.

Oh boy!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Gold Edition Elijah just makes me think of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGM-dY4TzqA

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

You're fitted with a bomb collar. It can't be unequipped, sold, or destroyed, and it's going to explode in 24 hours. Can you beat the game before that happens?

[24-Hour Challenge]

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Rinkles posted:

You're fitted with a bomb collar. It can't be unequipped, sold, or destroyed, and it's going to explode in 24 hours. Can you beat the game before that happens?

[24-Hour Challenge]

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Rinkles posted:

[24-Hour Challenge]

First time I'm going to shoot Doc Mitchell - and it'll be for putting this effing collar on me!

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

What does 24 hours in game translate to in real life?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
72 minutes, I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

looks like the latest NVSE plugin will among other things let modders play with rumble controls

Functions:
    DegToRad / RadToDeg
    ScancodeToChar
    GetAngleQuadrant
    GetQuestCompletedAlt (thanks onvil & demorome)
    Sinh / Cosh / Tanh
    SetWeaponAnimJamTime
    SetWeaponAnimReloadTime
    SetWeaponAnimShotsPerSec
    SetWeaponFireDelayMin
    SetWeaponFireDelayMax
    SetWeaponRumbleDuration
    SetWeaponRumbleRightMotor
    SetWeaponRumbleLeftMotor
    SetWeaponRumbleWavelength

AnhNVSE