Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Abisteen posted:

I haven't had an opportunity to watch any of this panel or anything but do we know if this is going to all come out at once (or at least a block of episodes?) or will it be one episode per week like Amazon has been doing for their shows for the past year or so?
Didn't say one way or another but I assume weekly. Is anyone still releasing all at once besides Netflix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?

Senjuro posted:

Is anyone still releasing all at once besides Netflix?

I don't think so, but I figured this one might be slightly different based on Amazon not being involved until after the Kickstarter campaign ended. I went back to check the update when they announced the Amazon partnership and it says:

"Our lovely Kickstarter backers (hey, that’s YOU!) will still have an opportunity to watch the two-part special that kicks off the series before anyone else AND because you’re a backer, you'll be able to access the first season for free. We’re still working out all of the logistical details and should have an update around how all of this will work in late 2020."

Obviously Pandemic hosed up all the timelines and this might no longer be the case but I couldn't find anything from a quick search that explicitly changed this.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Something they spoke about that I never really considered is getting to see some of the story from the bad guys perspective, which is going to be neat.

Briarwoods are such a power couple can't wait.

Mywhatacleanturtle
Jul 23, 2006

drat, seems like titmouse was the right choice. That intro was beautiful.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Abisteen posted:

I don't think so, but I figured this one might be slightly different based on Amazon not being involved until after the Kickstarter campaign ended. I went back to check the update when they announced the Amazon partnership and it says:

"Our lovely Kickstarter backers (hey, that’s YOU!) will still have an opportunity to watch the two-part special that kicks off the series before anyone else AND because you’re a backer, you'll be able to access the first season for free. We’re still working out all of the logistical details and should have an update around how all of this will work in late 2020."

Obviously Pandemic hosed up all the timelines and this might no longer be the case but I couldn't find anything from a quick search that explicitly changed this.

I imagine they may just do some kind of voucher code to get the eps on your Amazon account even if you don't have Prime.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
It won't personally be an issue for me since I have prime but even requiring backers to create an Amazon account to access the content they backed may end up being a dicey problem. I think they'll end up with an A/B option. You can download the episodes as a backer and/or claim a voucher on your Amazon account to get the season added to your prime video collection. Then everyone else would have to access the content through whatever channels Amazon chooses.

Of course I was wrong about the theater thing so what do I know.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

How long into c3 do you think its gonna be to get a thread title change?

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

How long into c3 do you think its gonna be to get a thread title change?

Ah, come on, this thread has only had this title for uh….3 years?

redbrouw
Nov 14, 2018

ACAB
Jester's God is the best fey ever

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr1Bz1p8Od0

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I guess it would make sense for a new thread with the new campaign, yeah? I think this one's OP dipped

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Considering this thread is almost 400 pages, a new thread for Campaign 3 would probably be reasonable.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

That chaos reigns looks eminently doable for me so I might make a batch for the premier but I may want to try one of the cursed cocktails he's promising for next week.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

CuwiKhons posted:

Considering this thread is almost 400 pages, a new thread for Campaign 3 would probably be reasonable.

Yeah. We could definitely use a new thread with an active OP so we can get updates in the OP

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Anyone have interest in putting together a beginner's guide for the new OP? Or suggestions on what should be included?

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

I'd suggest keeping the "who are these people?" section.

A link to the C2 crit recap animated shorts would be good.

Maybe a link to the CR wiki since it has synopsis of all the C1 and C2 episodes and character bios?

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I was thinking as many sorta evergreen links as possible. Vod/Pod/Talks feeds for each campaign, Twitch and Youtube pages, and something for the animated series since this would probably be the thread for it too.

Intros for the cast and probably some some "where to start" stuff. Everyone deserves a fair warning about Orion, but I think linking some of the good one-shots there would be a solid gateway drug,

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Abroham Lincoln posted:

I was thinking as many sorta evergreen links as possible. Vod/Pod/Talks feeds for each campaign, Twitch and Youtube pages, and something for the animated series since this would probably be the thread for it too.

Intros for the cast and probably some some "where to start" stuff. Everyone deserves a fair warning about Orion, but I think linking some of the good one-shots there would be a solid gateway drug,

Someone on reddit put together a relatively solid summary of the Orion situation. https://www.reddit.com/r/HobbyDrama/comments/q5c2xf/web_media_critical_role_and_orion_acaba_how_to/

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

AngryBooch posted:

That chaos reigns looks eminently doable for me so I might make a batch for the premier but I may want to try one of the cursed cocktails he's promising for next week.

Having watched his other cursed drink recipes, no you do not want to try any cursed cocktails he's come up with. Especially if they were inspired by, or copied from, Sam.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Teddybear posted:

Someone on reddit put together a relatively solid summary of the Orion situation. https://www.reddit.com/r/HobbyDrama/comments/q5c2xf/web_media_critical_role_and_orion_acaba_how_to/

This is from memory but while the initial statement of Orion was a cancer diagnosis and then there was people associating that with chemo drugs affecting his mental state a few years later, and very randomly, an Orion video dropped where he talked about his issues at the time were caused by HIV and that he was a drug addict. This should be a huge thing but it kind of got undercut by Orion quote "he calls out Laura, Liam, Marisha and Matt out as being "anti-semitic" and "HIV haters" where he claims they intentionally kicked him from the group because of his HIV status and not for the reason allegedly given: "fudged dice rolls.""

Unrelated but given time has passed and we're passed can we agree that while campaign two individually had better acting and characters than campaign one, storywise it was far inferior? They peaked with the pirate arc and then nothing ever came close to that again. It may have to do with unlike campaign one they started at level one and thus it felt less dynamic and the stakes were all wrong but I have no real desire to watch campaign two ever again and a whole lot of the plot just kind of fades from memory.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
No we can't, you are allowed to not like Campaign 2 but it's not some dumb loving consensus thing.

But I very much enjoyed it around the same if not more in places than Campaign 1.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Yeah, I vastly preferred 2 to 1, both in characters and in plots. There doesn't have to be a consensus.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Only issue I had with campaign 2 was the almost forced resolve each characters plot theme that cropped up toward the end and also it seemed like 3/4 through the campaign they were getting slightly burnt out perhaps and just decided to wrap it up kinda abruptly even though I really think there was as enough cool story stuff in 2 to go quite a fair bit longer.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Lid posted:

This is from memory but while the initial statement of Orion was a cancer diagnosis and then there was people associating that with chemo drugs affecting his mental state a few years later, and very randomly, an Orion video dropped where he talked about his issues at the time were caused by HIV and that he was a drug addict. This should be a huge thing but it kind of got undercut by Orion quote "he calls out Laura, Liam, Marisha and Matt out as being "anti-semitic" and "HIV haters" where he claims they intentionally kicked him from the group because of his HIV status and not for the reason allegedly given: "fudged dice rolls.""

Unrelated but given time has passed and we're passed can we agree that while campaign two individually had better acting and characters than campaign one, storywise it was far inferior? They peaked with the pirate arc and then nothing ever came close to that again. It may have to do with unlike campaign one they started at level one and thus it felt less dynamic and the stakes were all wrong but I have no real desire to watch campaign two ever again and a whole lot of the plot just kind of fades from memory.

As Dexo said there's not gonna be a consensus, nor should there be, but I'm with you on C2 being vastly inferior. Its open ended style was its undoing. Without a clear direction this group becomes incredibly indecisive which leads to lots of meandering and an unfocused story.
C1 has a cohesive, infinitely better paced story with higher and clearer stakes which elicits far more emotions both from the viewer and the cast. Think how often the entire table was in tears or how clear it was that they didn't want to let the characters go at the end compared to C2 where it felt that they were pretty done with them.
Really hope they've learned some lessons from how C2 went. Would be a shame if C1 will end up being the show's peak, its magic never fully recaptured.

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 12, 2021

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Campaign 2 faltered a bit at the end with the last two arcs being meandering and overlong but it majorly stuck the landing. I just got bored with the Eiselcross stuff, and their purpose was never really made clear. Every other arc up to and including Rumblecusp was great. That's almost as many episodes as Campaign 1 had right there.

To me, Campaign 1 feels like it really came to its logical conclusion after the Conclave arc and the Taryon and Vecna arcs were an extended epilogue. I think the Vecna arc is probably my least favourite one because it feels a bit like a rehash of the Vestiges arc but with even more inflated stakes. It's like when a show ends and then a movie comes out a few years later where everyone gets back together one more time to fight their biggest adversary yet or whatever.

Volte fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 12, 2021

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
The good thing about the Vecna arc though is it was clearly set up much earlier and required no prodding by Matt to make the cast care about it.
One of the clearest examples of how underwhelming Cognoza was as an end boss is how Matt had to outright tell Taliesin that his character cares about this because the whole group seemed to be ignoring it completely. And even later when they already had plenty of information on how bad it is they were still at points considering to just let it do its thing.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I always attributed to their mercenary attitudes to them trying to be more neutral or chaotic characters and it not quite gelling with higher stakes. Be that a failure of roleplay, DMing or both is up to you to decide. I'm still behind on campaign 2 but even when they said they were going to try to be better "heroes" they don't really follow up on it entirely.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
C2 somehow managed to be both full of overarching plot threads and also never feel like anything properly tied together. The whole Cognouza/Lucien thing felt like it just sprang up out of the ground (ha) as a final boss arc, and the individual character arcs felt incredibly abrupt in their resolution (either by suddenly being wrapped up in the last few episodes GoT style, or by reaching semi-solid endpoints earlier in the campaign but never revisiting any consequences of that).

It wasn't *bad*, and the whole thing at least made sense as a story once you lined it all up, but it felt bumpy and unsatisfying as a narrative journey towards the end.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
Vox Machina were pretty much murder hobos, for at least the first 60 episodes. The Mighty Nein could get pretty chaotic but most of them were trying to follow some personal definition of "doing the right thing".

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

going back and listening to season 1 after starting with 2 was routinely extremely loving boring, as everyone just played generic archetypical characters and it took forever for them to progress beyond that

season 2 definitely was slow towards the back 1/3 but doesn't change the fact that the character work is a million times better and more interesting from the beginning

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
Generic isn't always worse and complex isn't always better. Layered and nuanced Fjord was incredibly boring while dumb as a rock Grog was endlessly entertaining.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Senjuro posted:

Generic isn't always worse and complex isn't always better. Layered and nuanced Fjord was incredibly boring while dumb as a rock Grog was endlessly entertaining.
There's also a big difference between what's fun for the player and the others in the group, and what's fun to watch for an audience. Sometimes these can overlap, but not necessarily.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

https://dnd.wizards.com/products/call-netherdeep

I wonder if Matt wrote the whole adventure or if he just gave ideas behind it.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Senjuro posted:

yeah but i don't think if you pick and choose like this that many characters from s1 other than grog will come out obviously ahead lol

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
I think a good half of them do. Scanlan, Grog, Pike, and I'd even say Percy. It's entirely subjective though, of course.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Mage_Boy posted:

https://dnd.wizards.com/products/call-netherdeep

I wonder if Matt wrote the whole adventure or if he just gave ideas behind it.

Matt and Chris Perkins co-lead the article on Critical Role says.

https://critrole.com/hype-call-of-the-netherdeep-our-dungeons-dragons-adventure-module-is-available-for-pre-order-right-now/

quote:

Can You Change Fate?

The greed of mortals has awakened a powerful entity long thought destroyed. For eons, this mighty champion of the gods has been imprisoned in the darkest depths of Exandria. His name has been forgotten, as have his heroic deeds. Languishing in despair, he calls out for new heroes to save him.

Inspired by the campaigns of the hit series Critical Role, this adventure begins in the Wastes of Xhorhas and leads to the glimmering oasis-city of Ank’Harel on the continent of Marquet, and from there into a sunken realm of gloom, corruption, and sorrow known as the Netherdeep. Above it all, the red moon of Ruidus watches, twisting the fates of those who have the power to shape the course of history.

I may pick this up just to finally figure out what the hell is up with this Moon poo poo that keeps popping up, although I do hope Matt has more plans to explore this in campaign 3.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I thought Veth was a way more interesting character than Scanlan and Yasha's only problem is that Ashley wasn't around more to develop her (I think she came into her own after Blindspot ended anyway). Pike was kind of a nothing character who only had really one episode of her own. Beau and Keyleth are kind of on even footing to me as characters. Caleb and Vax are both Liam, what can I say. Jester is better than Vex no question. Fjord is really the only weak link in C2 I think, and mainly because Travis decided to throw his character arc into a lava pit (which wasn't a bad decision, but it kind of left a void in his plot).

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

AngryBooch posted:

I may pick this up just to finally figure out what the hell is up with this Moon poo poo that keeps popping up, although I do hope Matt has more plans to explore this in campaign 3.

i'd be really surprised if this wasn't campaign 3 endgame, matt's planted more than enough seeds for it and it's maybe the biggest outstanding mystery

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i really like the tropey typical D&D stuff from campaign 1 so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Here’s hoping Matt stealth re-introduces Spelljammer.