Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Messina looks great but I'm not totally sold on it and I totally agree that Bitoku is eyewatering to look at. The cover art looks amazing but I feel like it hasn't translated well to the board. Heavy euros are absolutely my jam. Give me Lacerdas all day and I'm all in pledging for Voidfall which just vomits icons all over the board but It'll have to have some great reviews to enitce me to pick up Bitoku.

I've got so much on the way already too so I should probably slow down and play whats coming. My copies of aFFO:Norwegians and Spirit Island should be arriving in the next week or so, I've got Furnace, the Arnak expansion and GWT 2e arriving later this year, John Company 2e, Verdant, Nemo's War Big Box and Voidfall all backed plus probably more I'm forgetting about. I dunno about how other peoples boardgame buying habits but I tend to go through vast droughts and then get excited again and start buying all the things. I think I'm getting better about understanding my tastes in boardgames, I've just started selling off a lot of the stuff I never play because it just wasn't a good fit.

e: forgot The Great Zimbabwe is on it's way too!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Voidfall is 100% a game I'd probably back if we weren't stuck in endless lockdown hell, as I've had 3 separate TI days cancelled due to pandemic related shitfuckery.

:hellyeah: on Norwegians though.

I'm starting to get super picky about what I'm adding to my collection as it's getting bigger, and I really try to avoid adding anything that wouldn't hold my tables attention.
In that respect I'm also trying very hard to rein my backing on KS - unless it's something super interesting or by a designer/company I really enjoy.

Paint the Roses is launching later today, and I think it's an easy all-in pledge
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5t2PyPVAufk

Co-op + Tile laying + Tile guessing is a fun combo

There's a TTS module up for it as well - Can't wait to give it a crack.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Yeah, I'm in Melbourne so I know all about lockdowns...I've gotten significantly more into solo games in the last few years. I dunno if I'll play it often with a group because the teach will be a beast, but I played the solo mode a couple of times on TTS and really enjoyed it. Plus it's not due to ship until 2023 so we should be well and truly out of lockdown hell by then so organising game days wont be such a problem.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I dunno, at age 64 I wonder if I'll still be alive in February 2023 :v: so no Voidfall for me. Plus I still can't get Trickerion to the table because of the teach, so why add yet another Mindclash game with a heavy teach?

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
If you're dead you won't need the money anyway so may as well take the gamble.

Wheeler W Wetherby
Sep 30, 2004

• Has an O-level in camel-hygiene
  • Can count up to 4

FulsomFrank posted:

Thanks for the write-up. I'd love to try it before buying but it's honestly not expensive and I don't think any of the cafes around me would have a copy.

There's a web-based demo of Cascadia. Solo only with only a single set of scoring objectives, but you get a sense of how it plays. There's one for Calico too so you can have a chill relaxing time with some bears in the Pacific Northwest and then be filled with self-loathing that you can't meet the simple requests of a bunch of dumb picky cats.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Mayveena posted:

I dunno, at age 64 I wonder if I'll still be alive in February 2023 :v: so no Voidfall for me. Plus I still can't get Trickerion to the table because of the teach, so why add yet another Mindclash game with a heavy teach?

Same reason is stopping me grabbing Kanban EV at a very reasonable (at least compared to its crazy MSRP) price from a retailer here.

It looks fascinating, but I'm already not getting shitloads of play out of Trickerion, Anachrony, Clinic, Gaia Project or Cooper Island. Probably best leave purchases for the heavier stuff for a bit.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
In my quest to get my collection down to 50 games I was going to sell Tigris and Euphrates. I noticed the prices are crazy. Did they announce that it's never getting a reprint ever again or something because of the sequel? I haven't got it to the table in years (or honestly even had a desire to suggest it), but that almost makes me want to hang onto it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I'm actually surprised it hasn't been reprinted due to the hype it gets from being out of print.

Def keep the game for your own collection I reckon.

x420ReDdIT_Br0nYx
Jan 21, 2013

SelenicMartian posted:

The best thing about Bitoku are the offended French players.

Offended? It's a great way to make friends fast

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Megasabin posted:

In my quest to get my collection down to 50 games I was going to sell Tigris and Euphrates. I noticed the prices are crazy. Did they announce that it's never getting a reprint ever again or something because of the sequel? I haven't got it to the table in years (or honestly even had a desire to suggest it), but that almost makes me want to hang onto it.

I've been trying to replay T&E for a while now but my GF and I played it once at a cafe years ago and didn't enjoy it so it has been an uphill battle to get it back on the table. That said, she felt similarly about Pax Pamir and now it's a go to game for us.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Megasabin posted:

T&E has great reputation but a pretty small market, so unless it's currently being published then the prices are going to be high. It was last being put out by Z-Man, but they* thought the RoI from classic euros wasn't high enough. Designer Reiner Knizia has recently decided to cut ties w/ a bunch of other publishers (Grail Games, Matagot, and Kollosal) for contract violations** so, after a quick check of who else could possibly publish it, prices are spiking again.
*or their owner, Asmodee, or their owners, some sinister vulture capital group.
**I believe for selling their stuff in the wrong regions, but I don't know for sure.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Megasabin posted:

It's a tough teach in this day and age so you have to know about it to want it. That said, if you can get by the teach it's certainly a classic so I can see why the prices are high.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Cross postin the Kicks

Infinitum posted:

Games Infinitum Is Backing Because He Has No Self Control :siren:
Paint the Roses Coop tile laying + tile guessing deduction game. Lay tiles, avoid getting decapitated. I'm all in babyyyyyyyy
Dandelions and Psychic Pizza Deliverers Go to the Ghost Town - Goons say Psychic Pizza is a hidden gem. Ghost meeples! (I'm probably backing) No comment on Dendelions!

Cool Games Worth A Look In
Thunder Road Vendetta - "What is Mad Max Fury Road" for $500, please Alex. Remake of old game by Restoration Games
Birdwatcher the Board Game - Wingspan, but instead of collecting birds you're being a voyeuristic pervert! Dope art!
Gartenbau - Domino gardening!

Maybe Not Quite As Cool, But Still Interesting
Micro Medusa - 1v1 Tile laying game. Mailed via envelope!
Perpetuity: Grave Descent - Worker placement in space /w lazy susan in the middle
Blokk the 3D Board Game - It's Tetris! In 3D!
Forgotten Treasure - Turn based pirate themed card game. Defend yourself and earn treasure!
Kooky Kats - Card collector. More art project than game?

Kickstarters that are just Fuckin :laffo:
OLEM - The Boardgame Robot - Remember R.O.B.? Remember Juisir? Remember why they call it the Internet Of poo poo?
Coyote Petersons Wild Adventure - Featuring 'Guy Wishing He Could Be The American Steve Irwin' on the cover!

---------------------------------

Mr. Squishy posted:

**I believe for selling their stuff in the wrong regions, but I don't know for sure.

Yeah my limited understanding of it, as I'm not super interested, is that it was an issue with resellers who had bought in bulk from those suppliers.
Resellers who may/may not have been setup or in cahoots with the suppliers in the first place.

I think the good Dr Kniz is probably in the right, but it comes off as super weird from a "What's the real story" perspective.

On the topic of T+E, Grail Games were going to be publishing a new version of Yellow and Yangtze with new content later this year before the contract got pulled - and I think there was rumblings of T+E as well, but I'm probably misremembering that one.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Infinitum posted:

I think the good Dr Kniz is probably in the right, but it comes off as super weird from a "What's the real story" perspective.

Not really.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
How's Shasn? It got a big kickstarter recently.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Apologies if I missed it, but was there an opinion on Unfathomable with four players? That's the largest number I'm able to bring to table within my bubble

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Admiralty Flag posted:

Apologies if I missed it, but was there an opinion on Unfathomable with four players? That's the largest number I'm able to bring to table within my bubble

I believe the opinion was that the odd-player mechanic in Unfathomable is much better than the BSG 4/6 player card.

KongGeorgeVII posted:

If you're dead you won't need the money anyway so may as well take the gamble.

Please consult your lawyer about arranging a trust so that your Kickstarters can be delivered to your estate and avoid probate.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 13, 2021

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Admiralty Flag posted:

If it's similar to BSG, four is playable but not ideal. With even numbers you have 2 humans, 1 traitor, and 1 half-traitor who wants the humans to get to the brink of victory and lose. It did sound like the half-traitor was implemented better in Unfathomable from what people said, which was one of the reasons it was bad.

The other reason it's bad is that with the nature of how loyalty is distributed IIRC. I don't remember if you seed the loyalty deck to ensure there's a bad guy before the halfway point, but I think that was a house-rule. So it's possible that you can just have 4 humans in the first phase, and it can be awkward to figure that out fast and sail through the first half and essentially two people get picked to lose unless they can really turn the game around fast. Even with seeding, it's hard for the half-traitor to balance pulling off their harder win condition.

It *is* playable, but it's up to you whether you want to drop the $80 on it right now. I probably would, but since I've been reading good things about it, I've been jonesing for that BSG gameplay. Also there's a good chance they improved the 4-player much more than BSG.

Fellis fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Oct 13, 2021

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Played a solo game of Flamme Rouge where an opposing team got across the finish line by drawing the last 9-speed card in its deck, getting across by one space and denying me the win that was coming next round.

Just have to vent about being mad at a deck of cards.

Also Flamme Rouge is very good.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Oh man, Ark Nova looks amazing.

Gonna get my copy tomorrow and play it on Friday. Really looking forward to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VB4b_RsbTi4

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Selecta84 posted:

Oh man, Ark Nova looks amazing.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

I mean mechanically :sweatdrop:

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
Hahaha, I saw the exact same image and thought about posting it but couldn't be bothered.

The art is atrocious but zoos are cool and a good theme.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Selecta84 posted:

I mean mechanically :sweatdrop:

Don't stress mate, I'm just takin the piss. It looks fine, it's just a funny card.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Infinitum posted:

Don't stress mate, I'm just takin the piss. It looks fine, it's just a funny card.

Nah, I'm good. No worries.

Will maybe post the "best" cards

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Morpheus posted:

Also Flamme Rouge is very good.
Flamme Rouge was a key game in getting me into the hobby so I am really bias here but I think it's amazing. Such a simple concept with a clear goal and when you're playing with 4 the jostling and blocking twists the efficiency puzzle just enough that decisions are rarely made for you by the draw. Good times!

I've slacked on it lately because it's a bit of a table hog and can take a while to set up but I've done entire tours using the app before over lazy weekends and that's always a blast.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Redundant posted:

I've slacked on it lately because it's a bit of a table hog and can take a while to set up but I've done entire tours using the app before over lazy weekends and that's always a blast.

Using the what?

Ah poo poo this looks like the kind of thing I like, downloading it now.

But yeah, before whenever I saw Flamme Rouge at a cafe I'd pull it out to play with friends since it's just such a simple game to learn and by the end everyone around the table is lamenting at the exhaustion cards they've just pulled, panicking about the final stretch, jostling for position and having a great time. Now I don't need to brave a pandemic to play it, hooray

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Fellis posted:

If it's similar to BSG, four is playable but not ideal. With even numbers you have 2 humans, 1 traitor, and 1 half-traitor who wants the humans to get to the brink of victory and lose. It did sound like the half-traitor was implemented better in Unfathomable from what people said, which was one of the reasons it was bad.

The other reason it's bad is that with the nature of how loyalty is distributed IIRC. I don't remember if you seed the loyalty deck to ensure there's a bad guy before the halfway point, but I think that was a house-rule. So it's possible that you can just have 4 humans in the first phase, and it can be awkward to figure that out fast and sail through the first half and essentially two people get picked to lose unless they can really turn the game around fast. Even with seeding, it's hard for the half-traitor to balance pulling off their harder win condition.

It *is* playable, but it's up to you whether you want to drop the $80 on it right now. I probably would, but since I've been reading good things about it, I've been jonesing for that BSG gameplay. Also there's a good chance they improved the 4-player much more than BSG.

Wait, what's the ideal number then? 5?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

FulsomFrank posted:

Wait, what's the ideal number then? 5?

with BSG I wouldn't play without exactly 5 players, so likely also 5 with Unfathomable.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yo nerds there's a temporary Collections forum up, and I made a thread for board games cause I want to spy on your shelves and judge you all.

Show off your games here
:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3981902 :siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Fate Accomplice posted:

with BSG I wouldn't play without exactly 5 players, so likely also 5 with Unfathomable.

6 with a Cylon Leader became a close second after Daybreak

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Infinitum posted:

Yo nerds there's a temporary Collections forum up, and I made a thread for board games cause I want to spy on your shelves and judge you all.

Show off your games here
:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3981902 :siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

I can't be bothered to figure out how to post pictures on the forums nowadays, I packed most of my games so imagine a shelf with Connect Four and Formula D on it.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Infinitum posted:

Show off your games here

Call heeded.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

I can't be bothered to figure out how to post pictures on the forums nowadays, I packed most of my games so imagine a shelf with Connect Four and Formula D on it.

if you use awful app posting images is much easier

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Kinda silly thing but Flamme Rouge has ads for other games by the publisher on the side of its box. Standard to see, sure. But Flamme Rouge's theme for its manual is that of a newspaper (like there's a date along the top,a 'price' of 5 cents, things like that). The ads on the box follow suit, like that of Nations: "Major discovery causes rewriting of history books: 'Who would have thought Alexander the Great actually led the Chinese to build the pyramids?' says chief historian"

Or for Dungeon Rush: "A major earthquake opened a path to a huge underground cave system. Brave explorers descend into the depths for wealth and glory. Officials warn of potential dangers, as eyewitnesses tell of creatures only seen in legend."

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i like flamme rouge a lot and id like it even more if it wasn’t a complete pita to set up relative to how long a race takes

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Is flamme rogue dominion?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I played a "grand tour" of games of Flam Rouge and essentially, after every game the guy would feed an awful lot of game info into his phone, and at the end it spat out an ultimate winner. I'm not sure even he knew what it was considering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Arkham Horror 3rd Edition
Eldritch Horror
Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition
Cthulhu: Death May Die

Which of these has more replayability right out of the box?