Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

mastajake posted:

When it is walking towards you back up to the wall, then shoot a missle and slide under it when it raises up. When it has the target following you, shoot missiles at its tail until you have to move, then space jump somewhere safe. When it does the multiple targets, space jump over it and shoot missiles at its tail.

I think you are thinking of a different boss. The one i'm talking about flied around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

stev posted:

I'm a complete idiot and spent half an hour bashing my head against the underwater boss before I looked up a guide which pointed out the big green button next to me.

i tried going "okay now I'm going to jump up onto that platform REAL FAST this time" like seven times until I saw the button. Our shared shame is that the starting cutscene deliberately shows the monster hitting the button.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm really liking most of the music so far, they're good remixes of the classic tunes.

That's kind of my problem, though - every time there's a stand out song, it's because it's a rearrangement of an existing song that was already good. All of the new and original stuff is just kinda... bleh.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I’m suprised people are struggling with him. He has very, very little health. Though a lot of bosses end way more quickly than I thought they were

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Blaziken386 posted:

New abilities would be great, though I'm not sure how many there could be? Most of them are based on movement, after all.

Off the tope of my head, I can only think of two -
1) with all the half-flooded sections, I was kinda hoping that ice missiles would be able to create temporary frozen platforms, like in Majora's Mask
2) upgrade for the Phase Shift that gives invincibility frames & the ability to dodge through certain kinds of material

1 is especially disappointing since you only use the actual freezing part of the ice missiles exactly once. Every other time they're just to break arbitrary ice missile barriers. The fact that they're ice basically never matters.

I was also hoping for like a fire upgrade that would melt ice, but instead they just removed all ice from the game after you kill a boss.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CuddleCryptid posted:

i tried going "okay now I'm going to jump up onto that platform REAL FAST this time" like seven times until I saw the button. Our shared shame is that the starting cutscene deliberately shows the monster hitting the button.

I didn't even realise that. :negative:

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Clarste posted:

1 is especially disappointing since you only use the actual freezing part of the ice missiles exactly once. Every other time they're just to break arbitrary ice missile barriers. The fact that they're ice basically never matters.

I was also hoping for like a fire upgrade that would melt ice, but instead they just removed all ice from the game after you kill a boss.

The ice missiles also freeze the plant platforms which comes in real handy sometimes.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
That was the exactly once I was thinking of.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

The last boss is completely killing my desire to finish. What a lovely fight.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Am I supposed to have the anti freeze suit before fighting the blue ice EMMI? It just keeps freezing me every time I try to charge.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

CainFortea posted:

The ice missiles also freeze the plant platforms which comes in real handy sometimes.

Wait a minute, is that the way you're supposed to pull that grapple block? I legitimately did it by just landing on the plant and grappling really quickly.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Arzaac posted:

Wait a minute, is that the way you're supposed to pull that grapple block? I legitimately did it by just landing on the plant and grappling really quickly.

I tried to do it your way about 20 times, gave up, and went back when I got the ice missiles. Way easier.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

stev posted:

I'm a complete idiot and spent half an hour bashing my head against the underwater boss before I looked up a guide which pointed out the big green button next to me.

lol same

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

CainFortea posted:

it took me an embarrassingly long time to realize that that was even an option. Likely because, as mentioned, that's the only time in the game it matters

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

ninjoatse.cx posted:

(boss spoiler) I just rewatched he Kraig death scene on youtube, and it doesn't show how he dies. You blast him in the mouth a bunch of times, and then he just sinks into the lava, while very much alive and kicking... and the lava was always there? Not really seeing where the fatal blow was since he's still going strong after you blast him in the mouth a bunch of times. Maybe he's just escaping? DLC incoming

I found it an homage to Crocomire in Super Metroid especially with him surfacing a few times before disappearing. Sad we didn't get a skeleton kraid smashing through a wall or something.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Clarste posted:

You can freeze enemies with them, then smash 'em apart with a melee attack. Super handy for some of the beefier enemies that normally require counters for quick kills.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dieting Hippo posted:

You can freeze enemies with them, then smash 'em apart with a melee attack. Super handy for some of the beefier enemies that normally require counters for quick kills.

I feel like an idiot that it didn't even occur to me to try to melee frozen enemies.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
metroid fusion update: why the gently caress isnt there a save point before this spider, gah

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

I found it an homage to Crocomire in Super Metroid especially with him surfacing a few times before disappearing. Sad we didn't get a skeleton kraid smashing through a wall or something.

i wanted this to happen so bad lmao

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

So how do you reliably double jump? I'll hold the stick in the same direction and hit the button twice sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

CainFortea posted:

So how do you reliably double jump? I'll hold the stick in the same direction and hit the button twice sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't

You have to do it as Samus starts descending.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
You can only activate the spin/space jump just after you start descending from your first jump arc.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
https://twitter.com/Toadsanime/status/1447865052607008775

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

n/m misread

DroneRiff
May 11, 2009

One small touch I love? The :krad: kick-flip Samus does if you melee attack out of morph ball

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

To be real, “fastest selling Metroid game of all time” isn’t the highest bar to cross here

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

i can't imagine the install base for the 3DS was anywhere near Switch's install base.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I was going to respond by saying "Didn't Prime 3 sell about 4 million copies" but it turns out I misremembered in a big way, since it never even cracked two million.

Either way I hope Metroid Dread does massive numbers because I would love to see the Metroid franchise be as prolific was it as in the GBA/Gamecube era again.

JordanKai fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 12, 2021

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

You can't? 3DS was super popular and actually the only thing carrying nintendo through the wiiu years

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
metroid fusion: this nightmare boss sucks and now i miss the spider

love to try to space jump above a guy who takes up 1/2 the height of the room

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
regarding Retro Studios games, Donkey Kong Country Returns, iirc, sold more than every Prime game combined

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

The underwater boss didn't give me as much trouble as I thought it would. It took me a minute to notice there's two buttons to hit though. I couldn't dodge the twisted tentacle attack, I was just lucky to have enough health to tank it.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Amppelix posted:

You can't? 3DS was super popular and actually the only thing carrying nintendo through the wiiu years

they're closer than I thought - but Switch still has 3DS beaten by 14 million units.

e: oh my god Wii U only sold like 14 million units total?!

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

samus returns was a late system release that nintendo didnt advertise and sold poorly because of it. it actually sold better when Dread was announced and people became curious about the older metroid games and started buying them on the eshop lol

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Nintendo didn't even announce Samus Returns on the Direct at that E3 but instead on the Treehouse stream afterwards after most people had stopped watching because that wanted the Direct to be entirely Switch games for some reason. Putting one or two 3DS games in it wouldn't have hurt.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

metroid fusion update: why the gently caress isnt there a save point before this spider, gah
God I remember that one being a real pain in the rear end when I was a kid. It's the worst cause they tease you with a save station you can't use. I think as I replayed it I got better about finding the E tanks in the game before that fight to make it less of a pain specifically.

VanillaGorilla posted:

The last boss is completely killing my desire to finish. What a lovely fight.
Unfortunately you need to get good.

As someone who was pretty salty about that fight on my first go around, it could maybe stand to be a touch easier on normal mode.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the main problem i had with the final boss was the second phase which is just a drag since i had trouble finding openings to do damage. it's really attritional too, unless i'm missing something it didn't have any openings for counter heals.

the last phase is just a harder first phase and isn't that bad

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
The last boss's flight phase is super dull and lasts too long. The ground phases are all more entertaining.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, the fact that you could get back to back "jump around them" attacks on the air phase is pretty annoying.

But I really don't like the three hit melee attack on the ground phase, it's just really easy to get stuck in, and i was kind bad about telling it apart from the other attacks I could counter. The air phase feels like it just has way better telegraphing/readability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I was pretty sour on this game from the intro, mostly getting frustrated with the railroading. Right around Kraid I think my opinion flipped, and now having released the X I'm all in, this game is extremely good.