Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
I have some bad news for you, the majority of Canadian families are homeowners.

The renters out there will always get shafted as long as this is the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Normy posted:

All the homeowners have to die eventually then it's payday!

Unless the population decreases or we build more homes, prices will increase

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Crow Buddy posted:

Blackrock will never die unfortunately.

i kept trying

i killed the dwarves and the orcs and the dragons and the fire elementals and the other fire elementals and the other dragons AND IT STILL WON'T STOP

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

ARACHTION posted:

If there’s one thing I’ve learned from Canadian politics it’s that all the major parties including the NDP are so entirely dedicated to housing values increasing that they will leverage all state resources to keep the game rolling as long as possible. I imagine this will continue until the point of it even becoming the state’s major purpose. It’s almost as if our society is less working/upper class and more renter/homeowner.

Because the first party that even appears to be mulling letting house prices decrease will win zero (0) seats at the next election

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

https://twitter.com/globedebate/status/1446447296208531462?s=21

world war three fomentation for you my friends

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So today Ontario quietly announced that capacity restrictions for concerts, theaters and sporting events have been lifted entirely.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

There were restrictions? I thought everything already opened up entirely once they started doing those again.

I wanted to get Mitski tickets and was worried about how crowded Massey Hall might be, but they were all gone in the pre-sale.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Banning Chinese access to 5G infrastructure isn't WW3 fomentation.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I thought we were consulting with other Telecom giants for 5G infrastructure, like Nokia

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

This Huawei 5G waffling is probably why the 5 eyes was reduced to 3 eyes and we weren't invited.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Another Bill posted:

This Huawei 5G waffling is probably why the 5 eyes was reduced to 3 eyes and we weren't invited.

I suspect the AUKUS thing is more about arctic sovereignty and the US not wanting to give Canada access to nuclear submarine technology. Five eyes arrangement hasn’t changed as far as I know.

The 5G network restrictions aren’t anything totally new for Canada. We never allowed Chinese manufacturers to supply equipment for the 3G/LTE core networks, so this is just an extension to restricting them from supplying RAN equipment or antennas. 5G was designed so that a supplier you don’t trust could supply a gNB-DU and only trusted suppliers can be used for the gNB-CU units, though I’m not sure why nobody allows Huawei to even supply the DU. Maybe the split between them isn’t as strong as it needs to be. Anyway this isn’t going to trigger WWIII, and basically nothing Canada can do on the trade front is likely to trigger such a conflict.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

UnknownMercenary posted:

There were restrictions? I thought everything already opened up entirely once they started doing those again.

I wanted to get Mitski tickets and was worried about how crowded Massey Hall might be, but they were all gone in the pre-sale.

Yes, but there might as well have not been, since places like whatever the skydome is called now decided to just pack everyone into the 100s anyway, so there was no real point. I'd assume concerts would be the same.

I get the change, we've had like 3-4 weeks of cases dropping, I just don't have a lot of confidence that the PCs will roll anything back if it does lead to things rising again.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Fart Amplifier posted:

I'm sure some people would trade their firstborn for a house, but the the demand side is made up of money, not people. Compared to the fact that the banks can lend people far too much money and offload the entire risk to CMHC, our immigration rate has basically no effect on home prices.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

tagesschau posted:

I'm sure some people would trade their firstborn for a house, but the the demand side is made up of money, not people. Compared to the fact that the banks can lend people far too much money and offload the entire risk to CMHC, our immigration rate has basically no effect on home prices.

I used to think this, but prices have merrily sailed beyond the CMHC threshold.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Fart Amplifier posted:

Or we get a government with the spine to stop this neoliberal bullshit

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

Lexicon posted:

I used to think this, but prices have merrily sailed beyond the CMHC threshold.

The banks aren't going to face any meaningful losses either above or below the threshold. A correction in home values may lead to losses for homeowners, but the banks won't feel it. There's not going to be a Canadian WaMu.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

That's good, because I don't think there's a Canadian JoJo either.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

McGavin posted:

That's good, because I don't think there's a Canadian JoJo either.

The Band and Neil Young are both stands so... :v:

I love the Ford government thanking the local health units for handling the pandemic and vaccination rollout so well despite the fact that one of the first things he did after elected was cut their budgets and line up a bunch of them to be just outright removed (Simcoe Muskoka DHU was supposed to be closed in 2020 for example). The people he poo poo on and tried to put out of work bailing his bloated rear end out from all his pandemic gently caress ups and possibly even saving his job is both funny and endlessly frustrating.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
The only thing he manged to do was not actively fight them managing the pandemic response, unlike some of our western neighbours. I'm frankly surprised at his restraint.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://mobile.twitter.com/AHS_media/status/1446921861024022530

Symptomatic covid positive people are being allowed into maternity wards.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Powershift posted:

what the hell. There's just no way out for Alberta is there

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Not when they're being infected from birth, no.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Powershift posted:

With the UCP, you really have to dig deep when considering “what’s the worst, dumbest thing they could possibly do?” because so many of their actions are not merely ignorant, but actively malicious.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

PT6A posted:

With the UCP, you really have to dig deep when considering “what’s the worst, dumbest thing they could possibly do?” because so many of their actions are not merely ignorant, but actively malicious.

The events of the past few years really hammer home the idea that job security for a politician isn't a good idea. Before long they'll give up entirely and dare us to vote them out.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Lars Blitzer posted:

The events of the past few years really hammer home the idea that job security for a politician isn't a good idea. Before long they'll give up entirely and dare us to vote them out.

once they see the writing on the wall, they'll sabotage the province to try to make the next leader look bad. They'll decimate the tax base so the next government has no revenue for social programs. They'll spend massively on corporate hand-outs so they land cushy C-suite jobs after they leave. They'll fire doctors and nurses so people get angry about long hospital wait times. They'll let disease run rampant so there's a high death toll on the next government's watch. They'll award huge unbalanced contracts to small donors to loot as much public funds as possible. They'll spend billions in cancellation fees on contracts for things like oil by rail. They'll install loyalists on the boards of crown corporations and into non-elected positions like the board of AHS. They cut AISH and close supervised consumption sites. They'll sign coal mining contracts on the eastern slopes of the rockies in areas formerly protected by the 1976 Lougheed coal policy. They'll cut school and university funding causing people who want an education to look into leaving the province causing a huge brain drain.

....hol up

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I cant even laugh at Alberta anymore, its just a terrifying mix of tragedy and malice towards anyone still living there. The UCP clearly doesnt give a poo poo about anyone, not even their voting base.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Furnaceface posted:

I cant even laugh at Alberta anymore, its just a terrifying mix of tragedy and malice towards anyone still living there. The UCP clearly doesnt give a poo poo about anyone, not even their voting base.

And yet these same useful idiots would vote them back in if given the choice; that's what they're banking on.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Lars Blitzer posted:

And yet these same useful idiots would vote them back in if given the choice; that's what they're banking on.

Very much so, and they're very wary of alienating those people with a "lockdown". I'm amazed we even got this vaccination passport vaccination exemption program, I can only assume that the rural areas are just ignoring it completely and doing their own thing still.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Powershift posted:

Don't worry -- they are following droplet protocol! (For an airborne virus)...

https://twitter.com/AHS_media/status/1446921865834811392?t=96yGDgup7diPTlKUR9-aiw&s=19

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

My friend’s wife gave birth back in the spring at at Toronto hospital and she had to go in by herself. She was not allowed to have anyone with her and no visitors. The doctors set up an iPad so the family could be with her for the delivery but that was it. When she was discharged a couple of days later, she was wheeled out to the car by hospital staff.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

My wife and I had our first kid in January of 2020, right before things really went to poo poo. Looking back, I guess I was pretty lucky because I got to stay with her in the hospital, when we were in and out a few times for newborn related horseshit.

It sucks that my son has never really interacted with another kid and only knows half of his grandparents through video calls, but I guess I'm also lucky that video calls are even an option.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

McGavin posted:

My wife and I had our first kid in January of 2020, right before things really went to poo poo. Looking back, I guess I was pretty lucky because I got to stay with her in the hospital, when we were in and out a few times for newborn related horseshit.

It sucks that my son has never really interacted with another kid and only knows half of his grandparents through video calls, but I guess I'm also lucky that video calls are even an option.

I mean, I don't know about that. I feel like we can and should admit support people who are vaccinated and rapid-tested negative, for births and also any other reason. That's completely reasonable.

The absurdity is we were and are letting people die alone due to COVID protocols, but now you can have a COVID-positive person in a maternity ward? It's so insane that it's impossible for me to consider that it's not done out of malice. There's the old adage that you should not attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence, but I think we've long since blown past that which can be explained by incompetence alone.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

PT6A posted:

I mean, I don't know about that. I feel like we can and should admit support people who are vaccinated and rapid-tested negative, for births and also any other reason. That's completely reasonable.

The absurdity is we were and are letting people die alone due to COVID protocols, but now you can have a COVID-positive person in a maternity ward? It's so insane that it's impossible for me to consider that it's not done out of malice. There's the old adage that you should not attribute to malice what can be explained by incompetence, but I think we've long since blown past that which can be explained by incompetence alone.

A friend of mine had a child in the GTA at the end of March 2020 and a support person was allowed in provided they didn't have symptoms.

It's absolutely messed-up that a covid+ support person is allowed in. The birthing person can have a none-covid+ support person in.

Even more messed-up about the Alberta policy is that after giving birth, the new parent, unvaxxed baby and covid+ support person can share a room with another new parent + unvaxxed baby. Again following droplet protocol for an airborne virus.

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:
My wife and I had our kid in November 2020, and while I wasn’t allowed to attend any ultrasounds/checkups until like October, we were relieved that I was able to stay with her at the hospital for the birth and recovery. Very surreal time.

We found out later from friends working at the hospital that there was a COVID+ couple on our unit.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

These provincial covid updates sure arent instilling much hope that conservative run provinces will get this under control before another wave or mutation hits.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Furnaceface posted:

These provincial covid updates sure arent instilling much hope that conservative run provinces will get this under control before another wave or mutation hits.

The only real chance for these areas to mobilize now is to hope for a mutation that as a side effect makes you an atheist lefty.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Ontario is pushing back on signing the federal daycare program (of course).

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/childcare-ontario-liberals-1.6207667

quote:

'It's not enough': Money at the heart of child-care disagreement between Ontario and Ottawa, sources say

Liberals have already concluded agreements with 7 provinces and one territory

Doug Ford's government has not yet signed a deal with Ottawa on child care in part because of a "money" disagreement, says a senior Ontario Progressive Conservative official.

According to the source, who was not allowed to speak publicly on the matter, the Trudeau government is ready to offer around $10 billion over five years to Canada's most populous province, so that it can create $10-a-day child-care spaces by 2026.

The federal Liberals have already concluded agreements with seven provinces and one territory: British Columbia, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Quebec, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland and the Yukon.

In its last budget, the Trudeau government promised a total of $30 billion over five years to establish a Canada-wide daycare program. If Ontario receives roughly $10 billion from Ottawa, it would amount to a third of the national envelope.

"It's not enough," said the senior Ontario Progressive Conservative official. "We represent close to 40 per cent of the Canadian population. We need close to 40 per cent of the amount."

This source also highlighted concerns among the Ford government that the province would end up with a program it "can't afford," especially as Ontario's population is growing rapidly.

"We don't want another Medicare," he said. Under that agreement, health transfers diminished over time, leaving provinces to foot most of the bill. He is hopeful, however, that an agreement with the federal government can be reached.

Another source with knowledge of the file confirmed that money represents one of the key points of disagreements in the negotiations between Ottawa and Queen's Park.

This source underlined how daycare fees are particularly high in Ontario. In Toronto, for instance, they can surpass $2,000 a month. She says that some officials therefore believe that it will be more expensive in Ontario than elsewhere to lower the cost to $10 a day.

'A public shakedown for money'

Asked to comment on the matter, a senior official in the Trudeau government expressed displeasure that discussions between Ottawa and Ontario were surfacing in the public domain.

"We don't negotiate in the media," said the source, who asked to remain anonymous. "You will notice that we have eight agreements with provinces and territories, all done without public shakedowns for money from backroom operators."

This high-ranking federal official did not confirm the amount that Ottawa has put on the table for Ontario, but he says that the province will get its "full share in terms of its population" and that it's "wrong" to claim otherwise.

On Sunday, the federal minister of Intergovernmental Affairs, Dominic LeBlanc, appeared on the Radio-Canada TV show Les coulisses du pouvoir, where he said that it would be impossible for his government to change the financing formula at this point, since the majority of provinces have already signed a deal with Ottawa.

"If seven other provinces have all accepted that this is a fair formula when it comes to the number of young children in their jurisdiction," LeBlanc stated on the show, "you will understand that we cannot just add $2 or $3 billion just because we want to be nice to Doug Ford."

LeBlanc acknowledged that these agreements are adapted to the reality of each jurisdiction. "There are obviously asymmetrical deals, because the situation in each province is different."

Ford should sign deal quickly: advocate

The Ford government is facing outside pressure to accept the agreement. Carolyn Ferns, policy co-ordinator for the Ontario Coalition for Better Childcare, believes the province has "a good deal" on its hands, one that "does not require cost matching" and should therefore be signed "as quickly as possible."

"I just wish that the Ford government would listen to the clamour that's going on in this province for the need for child care," said Ferns. "Not just from long-time advocates like me, but from chambers of commerce, from families, from banks."

Ferns also pointed out that the Ford government has had the opportunity to invest more in child-care services since being elected in 2018, but instead chose to cancel a plan for free pre-school education that the previous Liberal government proposed.

"Before complaining that the federal government is not doing enough when they are bringing so much to the table," she said, "I would ask [Doug Ford] to reflect on what his government has done for child care in Ontario."

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 12, 2021

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

quote:

With some key federal COVID-19 support programs set to expire in less than two weeks, the Canadian Federation of Independent Business (CFIB) is urging the federal government to extend and adjust its aid.

The CFIB represents almost 100,000 small and medium-sized businesses across Canada, many of whom, it said, continue to rely on federal support programs.

"Businesses need certainty as so many are still dodging constant curveballs with a slow pick-up in revenues, labour shortages, and wariness around ongoing restrictions in the months ahead," said Corrine Pohlmann, senior vice-president of national affairs at CFIB, in a release Tuesday.

“No business owner expects government support forever, but they need to know they have something to rely on until all restrictions are lifted, and they can fully operate their business once again. They can't afford for the government to dawdle until the last minute.”

The Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy (CEWS) and the Canada Emergency Rent Subsidy (CERS) are scheduled to expire Oct. 23. In a letter to Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland dated. Oct. 6 and released publicly Tuesday, the CFIB called for the immediate extension of those two programs until Nov. 20 at minimum, and requested the federal government commence work on legislation that could extend the programs even further.

Other requests highlighted in the letter include expanding eligibility for CEWS and CERS to include new businesses that opened after the pandemic hit, helping business owners cover costs associated with vaccine passports, as well as new funding rounds through the Canada Emergency Business Account (CEBA), and delaying the repayment deadline for those interest-free loans to 2024.

The CFIB is also requesting changes to the Canada Recovery Benefit (CRB) to ensure no one is earning more than they were prior to the pandemic. In the letter to Freeland, the group said CRB “is contributing to a growing shortage of part-time labour availability across Canada.”

According to the most recent polling from the CFIB, only 40 per cent of small businesses are generating what it describes as normal sales, while fewer than half are fully staffed.

"The end of the pandemic may be in sight for some, but business owners are just not there yet. Small businesses will take an average of two years to recover from the pandemic. Pulling support at such a critical moment in their recovery would be a huge misstep.” said Pohlmann.

The CFIB remains unspeakably awful and almost mindbogglingly hypocritical. Same as it ever was.

Benefits for me, but not for thee.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

infernal machines posted:

The CFIB is also requesting changes to the Canada Recovery Benefit (CRB) to ensure no one is earning more than they were prior to the pandemic.
I appreciate the CFIB member businesses and their respective owners making this sacrifice to help control inflation. Oh wait, they're just referring to their employees?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Furnaceface posted:

Good news! There's an AB presser this afternoon that I'm sure will buck this tren... hahahahaha, oh I can't even finish typing that.