Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

kalvanoo posted:

why is it miserable

Because you have to either play the turns deck or white/green aggro and it's boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

That is false. One of the finalist decks was neither.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

My wet gruul deck is clearly subpar to turns and mono g but I feel quite comfortable doing ladder

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

YggdrasilTM posted:

That is false. One of the finalist decks was neither.

One deck in a limited field of the best players in the world isn't representative lol. Look at the MTGMelee results.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Was hoping this week's Resleevables pod was going to make it all the way through without talking about the set, but alas.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Shrooms is definitely a PED for M:TG, hah!

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

Was hoping this week's Resleevables pod was going to make it all the way through without talking about the set, but alas.

Avacyn Restored is going to have 15 minutes of actual set discussion I bet.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mcmagic posted:

I can't believe good players are putting the new bad tracker in their decks. It's awful.

The other 4 power 3 drops in green don't have Vigilance or offer a draw, and the deck is wild about tokens so the +2/+0 is all but guaranteed.

Seems like mono-g only sometimes tries it, primal adversary is a natural companion to wrenn and seven flooding lands, and some just don't bother with 3 drops past troll/mammoth.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

mcmagic posted:

Because you have to either play the turns deck or white/green aggro and it's boring.

What’s boring about suddenly crapping out a half dozen birds and taking 4 turns in a row??

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Ok I know Rudy has come up several times before and I've said he wasn't so bad. But I need someone to come on here and explain how him bilking $1.3 million from his patrons for literal nothing is defensible in any way whatsoever.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Ok I know Rudy has come up several times before and I've said he wasn't so bad. But I need someone to come on here and explain how him bilking $1.3 million from his patrons for literal nothing is defensible in any way whatsoever.

What's the story behind this?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

LeafHouse posted:

What’s boring about suddenly crapping out a half dozen birds and taking 4 turns in a row??

The deck was a lot of fun for 2 weeks.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Don't forget the $$ still made when he sells "discounted" sealed product to his patreons. Or the youtube revenue.

Its defensible in that he is an entertainer and his side grift isn't any different or less moral than anyone elses in the mtg world.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
^^^^^ I don't see anything objectionable about that at all. He sells sealed product at prices people are willing to pay, cheaper than retail. It's the pump and dumping insinuating you're getting in on the ground floor of some also-ran game that gets me.

AngryBooch posted:

What's the story behind this?

Yeah sorry I should have gone in to it but I'm so incensed.

So, he was an early partner with the manufacturer of flesh and blood. So my understanding is he partnered with them to get a vanity card referring to himself made as a thank you? Non tournament legal. Then he got 1500 copies, put them in a secret lair style box, and offered them for fomo sale for $1k each, for 24 hours, promising to keep 10 for his family and destroy the rest publicly. He framed it as a public experiment to see whether people would reject it, making it rarer, and thus more valuable.

But at the end of the day he sold like 1300 of them for 1.3 million, and they are totally pointless pieces the equivalent of art cards. It's astounding really.

Fuzzy Mammal fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 12, 2021

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I guess the ideal format allows for there to be viable aggro, midrange, combo and control decks to exist simultaneously as top tier decks right? Getting that balance right on purpose seems like a very very difficult task though.

For the last year the best deck in standard has always been "ramp up to 7 mana while including some very light interaction and win the game", there are aggro decks that can sometimes get under that but not consistently enough. Midrange decks don't have the disruption to beat it. There haven't really been any viable combo decks either.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

LOL @ people giving that shithead $1.3MM. You know what they say about fools and their money....

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Mike N Eich posted:

I guess the ideal format allows for there to be viable aggro, midrange, combo and control decks to exist simultaneously as top tier decks right? Getting that balance right on purpose seems like a very very difficult task though.

For the last year the best deck in standard has always been "ramp up to 7 mana while including some very light interaction and win the game", there are aggro decks that can sometimes get under that but not consistently enough. Midrange decks don't have the disruption to beat it. There haven't really been any viable combo decks either.

I would argue combo is not in of itself a deck style in the same way aggro midrange and control are. Those are all about how fast a deck hopes to win, whereas combo defines what the deck does to win.

A control deck that wins via a combo is still a control deck. In fact I’d argue the Izzet Alrund deck is a combo deck, and could be considered a control deck depending on build.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

^^^^^ I don't see anything objectionable about that at all. He sells sealed product at prices people are willing to pay, cheaper than retail. It's the pump and dumping insinuating you're getting in on the ground floor of some also-ran game that gets me.

So, he was an early partner with the manufacturer of flesh and blood. So my understanding is he partnered with them to get a vanity card referring to himself made as a thank you? Non tournament legal. Then he got 1500 copies, put them in a secret lair style box, and offered them for fomo sale for $1k each, for 24 hours, promising to keep 10 for his family and destroy the rest publicly. He framed it as a public experiment to see whether people would reject it, making it rarer, and thus more valuable.

But at the end of the day he sold like 1300 of them for 1.3 million, and they are totally pointless pieces the equivalent of art cards. It's astounding really.

That's honestly more ethical than NFTs

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

1300 people being complete fuckin marks is just a symptom of dumb fomo bullshit. Taking advantage of it is unethical yeah but no more so than what Wizards does on the daily.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that's pretty true, sadly. I know he has a few patrons on here so I invite any of you to defend your purchase, if you did get one. Please.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yeah that's pretty true, sadly. I know he has a few patrons on here so I invite any of you to defend your purchase, if you did get one. Please.

I'd say nobody here is dumb enough to buy obviously useless nonsense for 1000 dollars but Star Citizen proves that completely wrong.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

mcmagic posted:

LOL @ people giving that shithead $1.3MM. You know what they say about fools and their money....
Don't blame people for getting conned, blame conmen for running operations designed to rip unsuspecting people off

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Froghammer posted:

Don't blame people for getting conned, blame conmen for running operations designed to rip unsuspecting people off

nah these people are dumb as poo poo and deserve to get ripped off, if Rudy didn't get their money someone else would have

unsuspecting lmaoooo

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I mean, this is the kind of behavior that draws people to Flesh and Blood. I'm incredibly disappointed with a number of Magic influencers who have been pushing that game (as well as the ones who switched to crypto/nft poo poo) but I expect this stuff from Rudy and Flesh and Blood.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

'Unsuspecting' isn't the right word but if crypto, NFTs, and video game microtransactions have taught us anything it's that it's very easy to exploit people with serious or untreated mental illnesses with 'FOMO' or insanely Skinner Box-esque game mechanics, and if that's how you feel you need to make your money then you're just a piece of poo poo.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

The term is credulous idiots.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Froghammer posted:

Certain things are obvious cons dude.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I think both are objectionable but I don't understand why your "product at prices people are willing to pay" line doesn't apply to both.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I wouldn't say I was conned or unsuspecting when I ran into a wall after drawing a tunnel on it, but I think the Road Runner was definitely exploiting me when he ran through it.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
it's crazy that people would get conned into paying so much money for a useless piece of cardboard. anyways, how's the latest secret lair looking?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Call me callous, but anyone dumb enough to buy a collectable being pitched as an investment opportunity deserves what they get, regardless of how unethical it is to advertise them as such to begin with. There's no end of evidence to how these things invariably turn out, or the conditions needed for collectables to actually become valuable.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I too think society should be nothing but a procession of bear traps designed to “punish those other idiots”.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

I would simply not spend four figures on worthless garbage.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Crackbone posted:

I too think society should be nothing but a procession of bear traps designed to “punish those other idiots”.

If you step on a bear trap when it's hidden under leaves or is baited with delicious honey/picnic baskets you need to survive, you were taken advantage of and I think society should be structured in a way where we don't allow that to happen.

If you step on a bear trap in the middle of a clearing while the trapper is pointing at it going "I put this bear trap here, if you step in it it's going to snap on your leg" and you step on it, and actually you're not a bear but a fully grown human being...I don't know. Maybe I'm just jaded but I can't find it in me to get that upset about it.

We've had the con/grift/scam argument in this thread a bunch of times and I'm still squarely in the camp that if you get exactly what you paid for and there's no subterfuge or trickery at play, it's not a scam.

Even if you think that what Rudy did is a scam or whatever, how do you suggest we structure society to stop this from happening again? Genuine question. How do you write a law that stops people from completely transparently selling worthless poo poo for more than its worth?

fadam fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 12, 2021

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I was gonna post about it before framed as "if you're mad about Secret Lair existing, check this out" but people paid a thousand dollars for this:

The latest set's 1st edition printing is barely going for retail because they either printed too much or no one cares about it any more, if not both, partly because of this dumb bullshit making the company look slimy and partly because the game just isn't that great. One of the cards that had a cold foil treatment (thus occupying the average single cold foil pull in a booster box) was banned before the official release and they more or less straight up said they jammed it in without playtesting it. The whole thing will probably be dead or on life support by the end of next year.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lone Goat posted:

I would simply not spend four figures on worthless garbage.

Well chief, you are in the Magic: The Gathering thread.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Don't get me wrong, I'd outlaw advertising collectables as investments / likely to appreciate if I could, but in the post beanie baby / comic / etc boom world I ain't gonna feel bad for anyone who thinks "this time it'll be different".

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

fadam posted:

If you step on a bear trap when it's hidden under leaves or is baited with delicious honey/picnic baskets you need to survive, you were taken advantage of and I think society should be structured in a way where we don't allow that to happen.

If you step on a bear trap in the middle of a clearing while the trapper is pointing at it going "I put this bear trap here, if you step in it it's going to snap on your leg" and you step on it, and actually you're not a bear but a fully grown human being...I don't know. Maybe I'm just jaded but I can't find it in me to get that upset about it.

It's not even that. It's "step in this trap now and later you can trick someone else into stepping in the trap and then eat them".

All of this sort of speculation and "investment" is predicated on the value of your investment going up, with someone eventually getting stuck holding the bag. You're basically saying "I won't get hosed over because I'm smarter than other people".

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Speaking of other card games tangentially related to Magic, the card game Sam Black did some work for (is working for? idk) was announced. It's a DC comics digital card game.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/dc-dual-force-is-a-new-digital-card-game-that-lets-you-play-your-favorite-comics/1100-6496945/ (autoplaying video)

I didn't see anything there about crypto nonsense or NFTs, so that's a positive at least? Sam was giving a few details on his stream. Says it's similar to EDH, but with two "Leaders" on each side that start in play and that they have life totals, but you do not. He can't say too much obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
edit- I was wrong

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 12, 2021