Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

binge crotching posted:

The biggest reason to do GTS first is to get the fifth soldier in time for the terror mission. If you can handle the terror mission with just 4 soldiers you're better off long term with the Ring.

Managed the terror mission with 4 but I brought out my tired troops to ensure it worked out. Worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
After an absolute gutcruncher of a campaign, we finally finished our streamed Ironman Impossible Grim Horizon run.

In case you're wondering about the kills: Lost World was one of the first dark event cards we drew. I think 1500 or so of those kills are just Lost.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Coolguye posted:

After an absolute gutcruncher of a campaign, we finally finished our streamed Ironman Impossible Grim Horizon run.

In case you're wondering about the kills: Lost World was one of the first dark event cards we drew. I think 1500 or so of those kills are just Lost.

That's impressive

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

TheWeedNumber posted:

That's impressive

only in how much of a shitshow it was. 11 failed missions. jesus.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I started playing XCOM2 for the first time and Im having a blast, but I think my game might be screwd already: Im still early in progression but that avatar bar is already beyond half, even though I took two of those bases (it was almost full before that)

Anyway, I was playing the base game but now I saw that the bundle with all DLCs is really cheap on steam and got it (75% off). I suppose I have to restart to play with War of the Chosen? Does it improves the game a lot, is it worth to restart?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Elias_Maluco posted:

I started playing XCOM2 for the first time and Im having a blast, but I think my game might be screwd already: Im still early in progression but that avatar bar is already beyond half, even though I took two of those bases (it was almost full before that)

Anyway, I was playing the base game but now I saw that the bundle with all DLCs is really cheap on steam and got it (75% off). I suppose I have to restart to play with War of the Chosen? Does it improves the game a lot, is it worth to restart?
Yes and yes, in my opinion.

Also you are most definitely not screwed.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

One thing the modern xcom games are very good at is making you feel like you're on the brink of defeat when your position is actually pretty stable.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Really? The thing filled like 7 squares in 2 or 3 weeks and Im advancing very slowly (not even used that skulljack yet)

But I think Ill restart anyway cause War of the Chosen really seems to add a lot and I was already getting a bit bored of the sameness of the missions

edit: Ill miss my guys, though. I spent a lot of time playing dress up with them

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 9, 2021

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

One thing the modern xcom games are very good at is making you feel like you're on the brink of defeat when your position is actually pretty stable.

It's really such an excellent part of the games, yeah.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I have a mod question guys,does anyone know of a mod that lets you have human heads on sparks/mecs like in enemy within?

I just want to put my terminator head or my cyborg scar head on my robot :(

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Really? The thing filled like 7 squares in 2 or 3 weeks and Im advancing very slowly (not even used that skulljack yet)

But I think Ill restart anyway cause War of the Chosen really seems to add a lot and I was already getting a bit bored of the sameness of the missions

edit: Ill miss my guys, though. I spent a lot of time playing dress up with them

There's a variety of ways to decrease the tracker in XCOM 2, but there's even more with WOTC. You can save your troops by exporting them to the character pool and they'll show up in your next campaign.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Kaal posted:

There's a variety of ways to decrease the tracker in XCOM 2, but there's even more with WOTC. You can save your troops by exporting them to the character pool and they'll show up in your next campaign.

Oh nice, thats what "save to the pool" does than

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Oh nice, thats what "save to the pool" does than

There's also a secret button that reveals that all of your old buds are chilling on the hidden pool deck on the Avenger.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Restarted with War of the Chosen yesterday and played for like 6 hours straight.

Im glad I did it, the base game is good but the expansion put at a lot more meat on its bones and improves and adds several mechanics (Im liking the bonds and the tireness thing, although I think its a bit exagerated how long they take to restore), making it really great. And since I already had like 20 hours in the base game, the new content and features didint felt overwhelming

I did notice some bugs Ive never seem on the base game, though, but nothing game breaking

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 10, 2021

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Tiredness is definitely an excellent addition as “soft injury” to avoid using one killsquad forever.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Bogart posted:

Tiredness is definitely an excellent addition as “soft injury” to avoid using one killsquad forever.

Until you do Shen's Last Gift and it takes so long that everyone ends up out of commission for a full month.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

BisbyWorl posted:

Until you do Shen's Last Gift and it takes so long that everyone ends up out of commission for a full month.

#worth

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Simply do not do shens and play with a mod that lets you start with a spark.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Speaking about it, any recommended mods that dont require a restart?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Elias_Maluco posted:

Speaking about it, any recommended mods that dont require a restart?

I quite like the CapnBubs Accessories pack. It's high quality and fits in really well to the rest of the game: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1123427895

In a similar vein, I like the Even More Backstories mod. It's relatively minor but only adds to the game: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1135224960

There's plenty of fantastic mods out there that add new content or strips things out, but I've always enjoyed those two for seamlessly expanding the vanilla experience.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

The Titanfall packs (for soldiers and sparks) are extremely good.
The “gotcha again” mod gives you HUD info and is customisable with MCM.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Kaal posted:

I quite like the CapnBubs Accessories pack. It's high quality and fits in really well to the rest of the game: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1123427895

In a similar vein, I like the Even More Backstories mod. It's relatively minor but only adds to the game: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1135224960

There's plenty of fantastic mods out there that add new content or strips things out, but I've always enjoyed those two for seamlessly expanding the vanilla experience.

Thanks, thats the kind of thing Im looking for

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Gotcha again is mandatory imo

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Bogart posted:

Simply do not do shens and play with a mod that lets you start with a spark.

I think you can do this by activating Shen’s Last Gift on your Steam DLC page, but don’t click the Shen’s Last Gift box when starting a new game. That still gives you the DLC content without the DLC-specific mission.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Except the mission in the highlight of Shen's entire DLC? The spark soldiers are nowhere near as fun as listening to Julian.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

BisbyWorl posted:

For what it's worth, recovering from Tired takes 8-12 days and Shaken takes between 14-20 days. Soldiers lose Will while in combat, and become Tired at 66% of their Will, and Shaken at 33%. Will loss maxes out at 33% per mission, but Shen's Last Gift counts as three (Chosen assaults count as two). So long as you rotate your troops so they aren't already low on Will, most of your soldiers should be back in action within a couple weeks after Shen's Last Gift.

http://www.vigaroe.com/2020/05/xcom-2-analysis-war-of-chosens-fatigue.html

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Captain Foo posted:

Gotcha again is mandatory imo

What that does?

I got that Shein DLC too (I got all in a bundle), but I suppose that to play that mission I would have to select its checkbox when starting a game? I left it on the default choice

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I can't remember what it defaults to, but the 'Intergrate DLC' option disables all the special missions (the best parts imo) and just gives you the toys, I'd not suggest it for your first time.

Gotcha again is from pre-WotC, it was so good it was half-adapted into the expansion. Basically as you mouse around with a soldier's movement selected, it'll change a bunch of icons to let you know who will see what in the new position. Stuff like little crosshairs on foes to tell you that you can see each other, the crosshair's yellow if it's a flanking shot, etc. WotC added something similar with a bunch of grey face icons in the middle of the screen to warn you of the new position's visibility. Gotcha again is still better imo, even if it needs a readme for what all the less obvious icons mean.

edit: Stop Wasting My Time speeds up a few animations that had big pauses, notably gremlin usage. BUT! Bradford nags you about timers less with it, which is something you might actually like? Evac All is popular even though I don't use it. My other mods where Instant Avenger Menus and Numeric Health Displays. All UI stuff, some personal taste, but Gotcha Again is recommended regardless.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Oct 11, 2021

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
gonna go against the grain and actually recommend you do indeed leave Integrate DLC option turned on. there is so much new poo poo anyway that you won't feel like you are lacking anything special. and the option is very appropriately named, the DLC content is well integrated into the game flow. with the option turned off you get a high intensity mission with what seems like extreme high priority at a point in the game where there is already a lot of new poo poo taking your attention.

the titanfall gear modpacks are excellent

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

Captain Beans posted:

gonna go against the grain and actually recommend you do indeed leave Integrate DLC option turned on. there is so much new poo poo anyway that you won't feel like you are lacking anything special. and the option is very appropriately named, the DLC content is well integrated into the game flow. with the option turned off you get a high intensity mission with what seems like extreme high priority at a point in the game where there is already a lot of new poo poo taking your attention.

the titanfall gear modpacks are excellent

No way, this is like telling newcomers to XCOM 1 to leave the abandoned fishing village alone!

Don't integrate, investigate weird signals all day everyday

Serephina posted:

I can't remember what it defaults to, but the 'Intergrate DLC' option disables all the special missions (the best parts imo) and just gives you the toys, I'd not suggest it for your first time.

This is what that option is for, once you've been through the story missions and are replaying then integrating the DLC lets you skip to the essential parts in a fairly well done manner.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I've bitched about it ITT before, but "integrate DLC" is the most annoyingly named tooltip in all of gaming, and even after a dozen campaigns I still have to think for a few seconds about what each choice actually means. It doesn't help any that it's an X in a box rather than a filled-in box or checkmark or something, so even when you get the meaning correct it's still unclear if the X means you're turning it on or cancelling it out.

Maybe I'm just an idiot but I hate this one loving option toggle more than pretty much everything else in XCOM 2. Should've called it "Enable DLC missions" or "Require missions for DLC items" or something

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Oct 12, 2021

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

It could have been worded better yeah.

Also about mods,i like “darker nights” it just makes levels darker and i’m weird and i like it so there.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ninjahedgehog posted:

Maybe I'm just an idiot
no it's bad

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
never change xcom

https://i.imgur.com/tTvzdEs.gifv

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

someone whos good with computers should replace the lost with the small sectoids from xcom eu

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
How much influence do I need with resistance groups to unlock sabotage avatar project missions?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

TheWeedNumber posted:

How much influence do I need with resistance groups to unlock sabotage avatar project missions?

the unlock requirements there have always been a bit cloudy, but anecdotally i don't remember seeing them before the first 'hunt the chosen' mission and the associated bump to medium influence.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Coolguye posted:

the unlock requirements there have always been a bit cloudy, but anecdotally i don't remember seeing them before the first 'hunt the chosen' mission and the associated bump to medium influence.

If I completed the first level of hunt the chosen, am I good?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

TheWeedNumber posted:

If I completed the first level of hunt the chosen, am I good?

should be? like i said, i don't know the specific requirements, nor do i think anyone really does. you could go code-diving in the mod framework to figure out what's what, possibly, but i definitely do not have the patience for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
Ok well I think I did something wrong on my legend play through. 5 guys on the alien black site with mag weapons but no plated armour isn’t enough. I need to go for an early captain and I need to get the influence to hold off the avatar project.

E: I never do the black site mission until I have six guys and plated armour UNLESS the avatar project timer is active. Not the blocks are close to full, but actual dd:hh:mm timer

It’s last ditch effort time or lose and I’m def losing this campaign by how this mission is going.

TheWeedNumber fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Oct 14, 2021