Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean no one was talking about the emails until the gruden stuff dropped so why did they need a distraction?

Beats me but what does the investigation into the WFT in the NFC E have to do with the league pretty much blindsiding the Raiders in the AFC W over Gruden?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

sweet geek swag posted:

To cover up the announcement that they weren't going to release anything.

They only needed to announce that because the Gruden leaks lead to people asking if other emails would be made public. Nobody was talking about the investigation at all until the Gruden stuff dropped.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

They only needed to announce that because the Gruden leaks lead to people asking if other emails would be made public. Nobody was talking about the investigation at all until the Gruden stuff dropped.

Eventually someone would have asked. And they would have to have an answer. Now their answer can be, "Yeah that investigation led to us firing Gruden," and drop it forever.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

They're going to get DDOS'd if their email system isn't a closed circuit. You can't leak less than .1% of the story without pissing hackers off. That's the kind of hilariously short-term thinking I've come to expect from ol' Roger

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

pasaluki posted:

Beats me but what does the investigation into the WFT in the NFC E have to do with the league pretty much blindsiding the Raiders in the AFC W over Gruden?

It’s not about blindsiding the Raiders, it’s about punishing Gruden for calling the commissioner an f-slur.

This is a pure “power for the sake of power” move, and luckily it’s ruining a shithead like Gruden and not someone decent.

Unless this is a :master: devised by Mark Davis, but… c’mon, just look at the guy!

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--I mean I hate Goodell too but I don't buy this angle personally.

pasaluki posted:

Bruce Allen is the link, I don't know if the league is just doing a solid for Mark Davis to get out of a bad contract/someone else leaking all of this or if some whistleblower was actually alarmed at this. And...somehow not alarmed at anything going on with WFT. Which doesn't really seem possible.

I mean the timing with the Raiders is odd if they're helping Davis since they're kinda good this year. Might have been a way to attempt to get the NFLPA to keep Demaurice Smith too, that's still out there. It's all very puzzling. Covering up something worse seems to be the best bet?

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 12, 2021

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Forrest on Fire posted:

They're going to get DDOS'd if their email system isn't a closed circuit. You can't leak less than .1% of the story without pissing hackers off. That's the kind of hilariously short-term thinking I've come to expect from ol' Roger

It’s a bunch of middle aged guys, they’ll just get phished

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
This is one of those moments I wish there were real investigative journalist in sports instead of just mouth pieces running to Twitter to post as fast as possible whatever story an agent or team told them to say. Cause none of this makes any loving sense. This whole situation is crooked as hell.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The NFPA is going to request for the NFL to release them all, and the NFL said no because of confidentiality. Which... they already waived by handing over the Gruden ones to the NYT :lol:

PFT posted:

“We have had communications with the league, and the NFLPA plans to request that the NFL release the rest of the emails,” NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith told Mike Jones of USA Today.

An NFL spokesperson told Jones that the league has “no current plans” to release the emails because “confidentiality was an element of the investigation into the Washington Football Team and workplace review.”

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

lol burying Gruden (as he should be) and then immediately throwing up defenses around GMs and owners.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

What a loving weird turn of events. No tears for Gruden by why on earth did they decide to bury him and no one else? What a relatively fringe figure in that saga.

We're missing something.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The firing of one of the most well-known coaches in the league is a big deal and is once again beginning a dialogue on racism in the NFL

which might be exactly what the NFL wants because at least racism isn’t a federal crime, unlike sex trafficking, which there is likely tons of evidence of in those emails

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

nah posted:

Really shoulda seen the writing on the wall once he started getting compared to that Chucky doll. That thing was a complete psychopath

Chucky isn't homophobic like Gruden though

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
So I'm buying the "if Goodell hadn't been insulted these wouldn't have come out" angle now

https://twitter.com/MarkMaske/status/1448020255633199105?s=20

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Is there a chance that the leak Friday and the NFL leaking to the NYT came from different parties? Like the Friday leak came from an ESPN person and then the NFL leaks their stuff because they wanted Vegas to make a move with Gruden after they let him coach a game

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

There's also likely at least one email where someone in Washington talks about not being allowed to pursue getting Kaep

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
The best part of all of this is that unless something changes and the NFL decides to actually release them (lol), the only person who ended up taking any heat and consequence from this is a guy who didn't even work for the team they were investigating for all the wrongdoing in the first place. All around another good job by Goodell

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

sweet geek swag posted:

Eventually someone would have asked. And they would have to have an answer. Now their answer can be, "Yeah that investigation led to us firing Gruden," and drop it forever.

Asked for what? The things they didn’t know existed until these leaks happened?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
There had to be dirt from every team in the league in those emails. Goodell is sitting on a weapon now.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

31 Donald sterlings, the only owner not stripped of their NFL franchise for racism and sex trafficking is Mark Davis

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

DC Murderverse posted:

The firing of one of the most well-known coaches in the league is a big deal and is once again beginning a dialogue on racism in the NFL

which might be exactly what the NFL wants because at least racism isn’t a federal crime, unlike sex trafficking, which there is likely tons of evidence of in those emails

Pretty sure race is a protected class and there are in fact many such laws regarding it in terms of employing people.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Another possible really dumb but maybe someone thought was smart idea might be trying to direct people's attention away from the St Louis lawsuit.

Because some real dirt might be coming out there too.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

fsif posted:

What a loving weird turn of events. No tears for Gruden by why on earth did they decide to bury him and no one else? What a relatively fringe figure in that saga.

We're missing something.

I agree. Something about this just doesn't quite add up and I feel like there is one piece somewhere that would bring it all together. It's also just bizarre and blatantly hypocritical to release only a tiny fraction of emails that would be enough to sink Gruden's career and keeping the rest of them, which are WITHOUT DOUBT a million times more and much worse. What is going on here exactly.

Grittybeard posted:

Another possible really dumb but maybe someone thought was smart idea might be trying to direct people's attention away from the St Louis lawsuit.

Because some real dirt might be coming out there too.

That's the one where they are suing for losing their team right? What's likely to come out from that?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Play posted:

That's the one where they are suing for losing their team right? What's likely to come out from that?

I don't know but they've subpoenaed stuff from a half dozen owners or more at this point and the judge is cool with everyone seeing it I think.

e: that's probably the wrong word, I am not a lawyer and all. But a whole bunch of documents are possibly going to go public.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 12, 2021

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

The STL lawsuit has the biggest chance to be wild. The city doesn't want a new team which would the leagues normal offer so it's as much money as they can wring out.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The city doesn't want a new team which would the leagues normal offer so it's as much money as they can wring out.
Huh?

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

Chucky isn't homophobic like Gruden though

Kinda weird to defend a known murderer but okay

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Asked for what? The things they didn’t know existed until these leaks happened?

The NFL was supposedly investigating the Washington situation. Eventually it was going to come up again, even if it wasn't a big topic now. Burning the news that they completed the investigation and won't be releasing any more details in the shadow of releasing the Gruden stuff is brilliant, in that they can say "We got Gruden" and the vast majority of people will say "Oh..." This works especially well because Gruden's name is associated with Washington (even though it was because of his brother working there). They are trying to bury this forever under a mountain of racist tropes and apathy.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Real pro move would be for gruden to release his own emails.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1448043568979927042?t=yHvKMCwDcklcFM8T2xAebQ&s=19

Lol

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

St. Louis already has emails from like a half dozen owners (including Jerry Jones) as someone else mentioned. The contents will end up public when their case goes to trial.

https://twitter.com/Ben_Fred/status/1447597923638947842?s=20
https://twitter.com/Ben_Fred/status/1447624537923850246?s=20

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

sweet geek swag posted:

The NFL was supposedly investigating the Washington situation. Eventually it was going to come up again, even if it wasn't a big topic now. Burning the news that they completed the investigation and won't be releasing any more details in the shadow of releasing the Gruden stuff is brilliant, in that they can say "We got Gruden" and the vast majority of people will say "Oh..." This works especially well because Gruden's name is associated with Washington (even though it was because of his brother working there). They are trying to bury this forever under a mountain of racist tropes and apathy.

The investigation ended in July with a 10 million fine for Snyder and no further action. The story was dead.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This is absolutely, completely because of the Glazer comments and not because of the racism/sexism.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

St. Louis already has emails from like a half dozen owners (including Jerry Jones) as someone else mentioned. The contents will end up public when their case goes to trial.

I didn't realize the trial wasn't until January, so the timing doesn't work out with this whole Gruden thing as a distraction.

But yeah that has a chance to burn a whole lot of people down or at least endlessly embarrass them whenever their name comes up when it happens.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Lol at gruden and lol at the nfl for making him the fall guy so blatantly

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

sweet geek swag posted:

yeah this doesn't track, the investigation was already closed from the nfl's standpoint

The leak is really weird and does not put the NFL in a good place at all, seems like someone with a personal vendetta against Gruden (i'm guessing that's not too rare though)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

As they continue to pay AB's salary.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

wyoak posted:

yeah this doesn't track, the investigation was already closed from the nfl's standpoint

The leak is really weird and does not put the NFL in a good place at all, seems like someone with a personal vendetta against Gruden (i'm guessing that's not too rare though)

Lol, I didn't hear about the fine, that's how under the radar that was. That is extraordinarily stupid of the NFL then.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
The joke with David Stern was always "nobody fucks with him because he knows where all the bodies are buried," and that always made me roll my eyes because how many bodies are actually in any sports league's closet anyway, but holy poo poo if Goodell isn't showing commissioners absolutely are where they are because "they know where the bodies are buried," this absolutely was a personal mission to get rid of Gruden for insulting him personally and forgetting who has what hidden where. And now it all subsides back in the ocean like some sated kaiju.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

shyduck posted:

Big juicy sacrificial lamb. We got the bad email guy, case closed!