Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Subjunctive posted:

They make the tomestone stuff sort of confusing. I bought a complete Hellfire set before someone in the FC told me about Shire…and right before my job quest gave me a coffer full of Hellfire to boot. My retainer has never had such a coordinated outfit.

There's three tomestone sets each expansion, released in the base patch, the X.2 and the X.4 patches. It makes more sense when you're there as they come out, since it's then three tomestone sets over a 2 year span.

But yeah, in general, when a vendor has multiple, seemingly redundant page listings, poke around before buying anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Tortolia posted:

There's three tomestone sets each expansion, released in the base patch, the X.2 and the X.4 patches. It makes more sense when you're there as they come out, since it's then three tomestone sets over a 2 year span.

But yeah, in general, when a vendor has multiple, seemingly redundant page listings, poke around before buying anything.

Also for the 50/60/70 sets, I've found the UI for the little branch vendors (near aetherites for starting cities for 50, Ishard for 60, and Kugane for 70) to be much easier to navigate than the main outlets, since it's organized by job and ilevel rather than scattered over multiple menus and sometimes multiple sales clerks.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah im not sure why they havent made all the vendors like those

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

OddObserver posted:

Also for the 50/60/70 sets, I've found the UI for the little branch vendors (near aetherites for starting cities for 50, Ishard for 60, and Kugane for 70) to be much easier to navigate than the main outlets, since it's organized by job and ilevel rather than scattered over multiple menus and sometimes multiple sales clerks.

Yeah I always use those splendor vendors when they're available, it's just so much more convenient. I wish they'd do 'em like that by default, it's annoying having to run around to a bunch of different vendors just to buy your gear and get it upgraded.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

lmao this paladin class quest

"of course, it's all so simple!

...wait, no, this was all needlessly complicated"

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

McCloud posted:

lmao this paladin class quest

"of course, it's all so simple!

...wait, no, this was all needlessly complicated"

I do appreciate the characters calling out how stupid that whole questline was, but it doesn't make it any less stupid. The one after that is a lot better, thankfully.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I appreciated the bit where it says I established dominance over the other paladins, like that's pretty kinky for an order of holy knights

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
I do appreciate that most of the class questlines I have done so far have some kind of anime trope that they use and make fun of. Mauraders cutting rocks with their axe for example, or the strategy obsessed arcanist.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

So I've mostly cleared out my 50 stuff and I'm finally breaking into the Heavensward content. As I'm cleaning up things, I remember the advice that some content - a bunch of raids/trials in particular - I shouldn't queue the Duty Finder for and should use the Party Finder instead. However, the Party Finder's been almost totally useless as it's nothing but wall to wall locked/private groups aside from the occasional one hunting BLU spells. Is that advice still the way to go, and does it still apply to lower (ie non-Savage) content? I don't really feel like sitting on Urth's Fount until 70-80 when I can solo it unsynced.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Tempest_56 posted:

So I've mostly cleared out my 50 stuff and I'm finally breaking into the Heavensward content. As I'm cleaning up things, I remember the advice that some content - a bunch of raids/trials in particular - I shouldn't queue the Duty Finder for and should use the Party Finder instead. However, the Party Finder's been almost totally useless as it's nothing but wall to wall locked/private groups aside from the occasional one hunting BLU spells. Is that advice still the way to go, and does it still apply to lower (ie non-Savage) content? I don't really feel like sitting on Urth's Fount until 70-80 when I can solo it unsynced.

Duty Finder is fine for the 24-man (alliance) raids.

Extreme trials are optional, and while they might eventually pop in Duty Finder, there's a good chance of failure. Hard mode trials are basically story difficulty, and should pop quickly and with no issue in duty finder.

You won't find real prog groups for Coils of Bahamut (which is essentially Savage) or any Extreme Primals. Urth's Font kinda lays between Hard and Extreme. Easy to pug, but it's not in the trial roulette.

If you're really determined to clear them, you will occasionally see them in Party Finder unsynced for higher level characters to clear their Wonderous Tails book, if that's on the menu for the week. You could probably pop into them for a clear no problem, since it'll take an 80 a matter of seconds to clear group or not. Otherwise you can make your own PF at your level and either ask for an unsynced clear, or a group to try to prog for a synced clear.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
It's also good to note in your PF if it's your first time that they'll get the bonus.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

OddObserver posted:

It's even worse for current top end (level 80) gear. Getting it and upgrading it involves a weird twisty maze of menus from various vendors and upgrade materials which don't tell you what they actually do

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Qwertycoatl posted:

It's even worse for current top end (level 80) gear. Getting it and upgrading it involves a weird twisty maze of menus from various vendors and upgrade materials which don't tell you what they actually do

The description on the upgrade mats do say what type of gear they upgrade (weapon/armor/accessories) but it's just something you get used to in time. When in doubt, work backwards - find the end result item on the vendor that you want to buy, and if you're missing any of the trade in items, find those.

It's a bit kludgy but it's how it's worked for years now, because it lets Square stagger out the gear upgrades. Anyone can buy a new tomestone armor set when it's first released, but the augment items only drop in Savage raids at first as a reward for folks hitting the endgame content. In the next patch they make the upgrade items available from multiple other sources for gear parity.

The major change from 5.3 was they just entirely stopped letting you buy the non-augmented pieces for previous expansion gear, at the same time they added the splendors vendors to the cap cities. I can't remember how many times I surprised someone by saying they could cheaply augment their ironworks or Shire gear by going to X vendor - sometimes in a completely different zone!

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Before they changed it I never bothered to augment Ironworks gear because of how annoying it was to do and leveling past it was quick enough not to bother.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Tortolia posted:

The description on the upgrade mats do say what type of gear they upgrade (weapon/armor/accessories) but it's just something you get used to in time. When in doubt, work backwards - find the end result item on the vendor that you want to buy, and if you're missing any of the trade in items, find those.

Well sometimes maybe. Crystalline Rain says "A highly concentrated elixir blended by facet artisans."

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Qwertycoatl posted:

Well sometimes maybe. Crystalline Rain says "A highly concentrated elixir blended by facet artisans."

The rains are separate from the tomestone upgrade items since they're generic to that tier of crafted equipment, but point taken.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Tortolia posted:

The rains are separate from the tomestone upgrade items since they're generic to that tier of crafted equipment, but point taken.

They're also purchased from the same vendor that has a big bold EXARCHIC GEAR AUGMENTATION menu option, so there really should be no confusion. :v:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/mogmog-collection/202110/7pBwXOpUFp

Is there any stuff from this that’s exclusive to the event? I saw that some Trial mounts are also going to be for sale for way less effort than running them up to 99 times

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the bomber jacket is the only exclusive item i believe

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Regalingualius posted:

https://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/mogmog-collection/202110/7pBwXOpUFp

Is there any stuff from this that’s exclusive to the event? I saw that some Trial mounts are also going to be for sale for way less effort than running them up to 99 times

Just the Inferno Jacket, I think. They usually only have one item that's exclusive, the rest are all just hard/tedious to get.

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Are there any other events other than the 15 one where stuff for it is sold in the Gold Saucer?

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Regalingualius posted:

You usually get EX mounts well before you hit the 99 token bad luck guarantee. Mounts in the current expansion drop at a rate of about 1/15 kills, mounts in previous expansions about 1/5. If you're level 80 then you can solo farm all the ARR horses (exception: Nightmare, who is not needed for the all-primal-mounts quest) in about an hour, so definitely don't buy Xanthos or Enbarr. The Dark Lanner from HW is likewise not too much work, but requires some friends so the mogstones are a more competitive alternative. The Auspicious Kamui is probably faster to mogstone than to get legit.

The other mounts on offer are I think all the ARR beat tribe mounts. I don't think doing beast tribes is too onerous and repping them up has other rewards like access to dyes and crafting materials, plus of course the ultimate reward of Deep, Important Quest Text. Some people really hate 'em though.

The Ala Mhigan Barding is from a rare group fate in The Peaks that I suspect no one spawns or does ever nowadays so definitely consider that. Modern Aesthetics - Styled for Hire is easy to buy for Wolf's Marks if you can tolerate pvp, good to grab if you cannot. The Battle orchestrion is the FF1 battle theme and drops from O9, I don't think it's that hard to get but not really sure.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Xerophyte posted:

The Auspicious Kamui is probably faster to mogstone than to get legit.

Auspicious Kamui is from Byakko, and in a good group runs of that take about two minutes.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

It's super cool how the stormblood quests that unlock increased mount speed seem to always be the one just before the one that gives you the last quest-gated aether current. Love it.

I understand the reasoning behind the aether current system but pairing "you can't fly here yet" with "also your mount is barely faster than walking lol" is just devs being dicks to their playerbase. Which is all the more glaring given that this game really doesn't do that kind of thing otherwise.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
This is probably a dumb question, but is there anything worthwile I can invest money into? I'm still on the trial account, and I'm trying to get it so that the challenge rewards I get don't go to waste. Only thing I can think of right now is gear for other classes/jobs, but maybe that's a waste of money (still haven't started another combat class yet).

Alternatively, should I just bite the bullet and register my key now? I'm only a few quests into the Seventh Astral Era/ Realm Awoken line, and I imagine it's going to take a while to get to Heavensward. In that time, I'm probably going to run out of inventory space and hit the gil limit again. I also want to try and register the game before Endwalker comes out. I wanted to maximize the amount of time I spend with the trial account, but it's reaching a point where the limitations of the trial version are becoming an issue.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

This is probably a dumb question, but is there anything worthwile I can invest money into? I'm still on the trial account, and I'm trying to get it so that the challenge rewards I get don't go to waste. Only thing I can think of right now is gear for other classes/jobs, but maybe that's a waste of money (still haven't started another combat class yet).

Alternatively, should I just bite the bullet and register my key now? I'm only a few quests into the Seventh Astral Era/ Realm Awoken line, and I imagine it's going to take a while to get to Heavensward. In that time, I'm probably going to run out of inventory space and hit the gil limit again. I also want to try and register the game before Endwalker comes out. I wanted to maximize the amount of time I spend with the trial account, but it's reaching a point where the limitations of the trial version are becoming an issue.

Here's a guide of ways to spend your money on a free trial. If nothing else you can stock up on gyshal greens and dyes and such.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/e/2PACX-1vTHChdF-HRisOli43NPdmgZrdDcrEDxUqIy3RyoFkuZKtFrGd722hg7PvooOqhPHqk7Fa9qZGktd6li/pub

That said if you are actually reaching a point where you feel constrained by the trial limitations and are OK with just buying in, go for it. The trial is absurdly generous but every person is going to have their own limits on it.

Theris posted:

It's super cool how the stormblood quests that unlock increased mount speed seem to always be the one just before the one that gives you the last quest-gated aether current. Love it.

I understand the reasoning behind the aether current system but pairing "you can't fly here yet" with "also your mount is barely faster than walking lol" is just devs being dicks to their playerbase. Which is all the more glaring given that this game really doesn't do that kind of thing otherwise.

It's just handled per zone ultimately. In SHB you can generally buy the maps fairly early in each zone after doing six fates, but for split zones it may come later in the progression.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
My WHM is sitting around 45 I'm on the free trial still and wondering at what level will I cap out and what happens to all the exp earned while sitting there. I am levelling an alt job or three along the way since I am generating so much extra from the road to 70 buff.

WHM talk I realised the other night that I am being really conservative with all my longer CD abilities. This is a holdover from previous games where you had some abilities with extremely long cooldowns. I have it in my head that I have to keep these for emergencies only. Which doesn't make sense when they are only on 1-3 minute cooldowns. How do most people manage these in a rotation?

I am specifically talking about skills like Lucid Dreaming and Presence of Mind. I just picked up Holy and That feels like a great ability to use at the start of a trash mob pull since it has a stun. Unless everything is stun immune. Thanks in advance.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Hoboskins posted:

WHM talk I realised the other night that I am being really conservative with all my longer CD abilities. This is a holdover from previous games where you had some abilities with extremely long cooldowns. I have it in my head that I have to keep these for emergencies only. Which doesn't make sense when they are only on 1-3 minute cooldowns. How do most people manage these in a rotation?

Lucid dreaming I'll pop the second time I use Aero, or about 15s into the fight. Use it early and it'll be ready before you have mp problems. PoM you can use as a damage buff on cooldown.

Even when stun immune, Holy does more damage than Stone when you have 2+ targets. Never stop blinding those around you.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Hoboskins posted:

My WHM is sitting around 45 I'm on the free trial still and wondering at what level will I cap out and what happens to all the exp earned while sitting there. I am levelling an alt job or three along the way since I am generating so much extra from the road to 70 buff.

I am specifically talking about skills like Lucid Dreaming and Presence of Mind. I just picked up Holy and That feels like a great ability to use at the start of a trash mob pull since it has a stun. Unless everything is stun immune. Thanks in advance.

Holy is the #1 WHM tool for trash pulls. Mobs will start resisting stuns after you cast it a couple of times, but spamming Holy at the center of a pack will still give you 5-6 seconds of stun time per mob, which is huge damage mitigation.

For Lucid Dreaming, I generally pop it if I'm below 4000-5000 MP or so; White Mage doesn't have a ton of low-MP situations besides coming back from death or chaining a lot of Raises, so just pop it when you need to top off. Presence of Mind I mostly use on boss fights, but isn't a huge deal however you want to use it.

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Hoboskins posted:

The level cap is 60 on the trial. You will not gain any experience while at 60 on a class. If you want to keep earning experience it's good to try out another class for that.

Lucid Dreaming you generally pop whenever you're around like 60 percent MP or after you've died for the quicker MP regain. It's nice to have going after a pull so you can Holy down mob packs even better.

Presence of Mind you go when you want to burst: eg. Stone spam on a boss, or Holy spam on big pull.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Hoboskins posted:

Holy spam is LIFE. If there is more than 1 enemy on screen you should be spamming Holy as hard as you can, not just for the stuns but because it's objectively the most DPS you can do. Almost every encounter you can just put Regen on the tank and that'll be enough healing due to the insane CC that Holy provides. For Lucid Dreaming, you should generally fire it off at about 80-75% or so and that'll keep you stable. WHM can find itself running out of MP very very quickly in ARR content if you have to Raise or use Medica a lot, but thankfully once you hit Heavensward content you learn a ton of abilities that are free or otherwise help you manage your MP.

"Megalixir Syndrome" can be paralyzing, but even the longest cooldowns are only a couple minutes as you noted, so use all your skills as appropriately and often as you can! Presence of Mind you should be using whenever you have a chance to spam DPS spells. At LV50 you'll learn Benediction which is a 100% full heal, ideal for getting tanks back to full or after a rez, and it is much more efficient than trying to Cure II a very low person up to full. Really, apart from Swiftcast which should generally be sat on for insta-Raises, your train of thought in regards to ability usage should be "Will this help kill the boss faster/make someone not die? If yes then use it!".

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time
Don't be afraid to swiftcast every first holy on a big trash pull. If the mobs are stunned they can't kill the tank!

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

It really does my nut in when a tank pulls up to a mob and 3+ GCDs go by before the tank moves off to pull the next pack. Pausing to do an AoE to gain aggro is fair enough, but if you are standing still for more than 2 GCDs, the pull has ended and you go into the "spam AoE" phase. It's especially annoying if you are an MCH trying to flamethrower the pack or if you are holy spamming as WHM and suddenly the pack moves away during your cast.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

Thanks for all the great suggestions I am far too used to saving certain abilities for emergencies, its a mindset I will have to get rid of.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

What's a hunt linkshell, and how do you join one

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

A linkshell is a private chat channel with a 128 member limit. It's sort of a legacy mechanic from FFXI where it was the in game version of guilds.

You can have 8 linkshells based on your homeworld (with members populated by people on your world) and 8 crossworld linkshells (with members populated by people on your datacenter). Cross world linkshells instead have a member limit of 64. You start a linkshell and become its master by buying an item from the linkshell NPC I think, should be one in each starter city next to calamity salvager and mail moogle.

Hunt linkshells are just for people to relay a <flag> map link for a hunt target, you get it when people offer it (usually in shouts near hunts) or if you ask for an invite (again usually near hunts).

There are other ways to learn about hunt targets though, I'm also a member of the Primal datacenter hunt discord and I use a hunt relay plugin for example.

Algid fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Oct 13, 2021

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Use cooldowns early and often regardless of class. If the group wipes they get reset anyway, but even the longest one (Hallowed Ground, on a 7 minute timer) can freely be used multiple times in a single dungeon or even multiple times in longer boss fights.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Wanna change my avatar, does this look good? What text would you give it?

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

Tekopo posted:

It really does my nut in when a tank pulls up to a mob and 3+ GCDs go by before the tank moves off to pull the next pack. Pausing to do an AoE to gain aggro is fair enough, but if you are standing still for more than 2 GCDs, the pull has ended and you go into the "spam AoE" phase. It's especially annoying if you are an MCH trying to flamethrower the pack or if you are holy spamming as WHM and suddenly the pack moves away during your cast.

To be fair, as a new tank I briefly got into this habit due to exactly things like MCH going ham on spread shot while gathering pulls. Figured out pretty quick that gently caress the mech, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Alxprit posted:

Wanna change my avatar, does this look good? What text would you give it?

I haven't done enough of their reputation to give a good quote, but the loop looks good.