Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BTW just want to say I love how the X parasites look in this. They're all brightly colored gummy monsters even more than in Fusion, no attempt made to make them look "realistic", just flying jellies, it owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Darko posted:

To hold down my beam which takes more HP than missiles, I'm holding down a button while simultaneously screwing with two other buttons. Means my hand is clinched constantly due to finger position and ends up hurting.

That's not what claw grip means in this context.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

VanillaGorilla posted:

Yeah, sorry, this last boss is loving unreal. I've been through all three phases and it just takes loving forever, with nowhere near enough margin for error when you have to restart the fight over and over after losing the battle of attrition in phase 3. I'll just youtube the ending slides and call it a day. Great game right up until the last 1% of the content.

I have to admit, this really makes me appreciate games like Hades or Psychonauts 2 that just let you make the game easier if you decide you'd like to progress, no fuss, no guilt.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Rand Brittain posted:

I have to admit, this really makes me appreciate games like Hades or Psychonauts 2 that just let you make the game easier if you decide you'd like to progress, no fuss, no guilt.

It’s a neat fight, mechanically - he just has way too much HP and it’s just a gigantic time investment to learn the phases and then to grind attempts. There’s lots of room to just run out of gas in phase 3, gently caress up, and then have to spend another several minutes to get back to it.

And whatever, get gud, etc. but it’s Metroid and not Dark Souls, and even Dark Souls has some mechanical outs for the player to progress if they’re just not getting a boss.

And I guess I could go back and get more power bomb ammo (which is the thing that would probably help most in P3), but I’m just kind of over it at this point.

You could cut his HP in P2 and P3 down by about 1/4 and it would still be a mechanically interesting and complex fight, without being a huge pain in the dick requiring tight execution for such long periods of time.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
You deal a lot more damage vomiting wave beams on him during the quasi QTEs than you do with missiles for what it's worth. Also make sure you pop the black spheres for resources with storm missiles

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I just beat the final boss and honestly once you learn the gimmicks it’s real easy.

Especially as the first and final phase had 90% the same move set.

The only problem I had was the sun in phase 3 but power bombs one shot it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Also popping the orbs gives you health back so you don’t really need to grind it out

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

CainFortea posted:

I think you are thinking of a different boss. The one i'm talking about flied around.

Oh sorry. I thought someone mentioned that is where you get the cross bombs and I could have sworn that’s where I got them.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Yeah I think the Chozo Warriors and final boss were big spikes. I enjoyed the challenge but idk if the game naturally sets you up for those challenges, especially once you've got the screw attack and never fight a normal enemy again.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean are you abusing that dash you get really early. The chozo can not handle that move at all

Neither can the final boss for that matter.

That move might be the best move in the game

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Darko posted:

To hold down my beam which takes more HP than missiles, I'm holding down a button while simultaneously screwing with two other buttons. Means my hand is clinched constantly due to finger position and ends up hurting.

The missiles are usually better dps, and the game is very generous with dumping more on you during a fight.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
I've found the best things to do when a boss is whooping your rear end repeatedly are to:
  • Slow down. Take some time to learn the patterns and attacks instead of just trying to blow poo poo up ASAP.
  • Take a break. The final boss was kicking my rear end so I decided to step away for an hour. I went back and got him on my next attempt.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Incidentally, is this the first Metroid game where the final boss is male?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

The chozo knights were pissing me off until I realized I could just phase shift over them and missile/shoot at the end, over and over.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Calaveron posted:

Samus Returns has Proto-Ridley so definitely not.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Calaveron posted:

Samus Returns
Fusion (well, don't know if Omega Metroids have a gender)
Zero Mission (?)

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Calaveron posted:

I've never even thought of this. why would anyone care? lol

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Barreft posted:

The chozo knights were pissing me off until I realized I could just phase shift over them and missile/shoot at the end, over and over.

Yeah no boss can deal with that move. Especially since you get 2 charges and it refills extremely quickly

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

SettingSun posted:

Final boss is one of the game’s highlights imo

CharlestheHammer posted:

I just beat the final boss and honestly once you learn the gimmicks it’s real easy.

Especially as the first and final phase had 90% the same move set.

The only problem I had was the sun in phase 3 but power bombs one shot it

This. The bosses are hard when you don't know their moves, then you learn their moves after dying a bunch and eventually beat them. You continue from right outside the boss rooms, they've already made it very easy to keep getting better at the boss.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Barreft posted:

I've never even thought of this. why would anyone care? lol

I thought it was a neat correlation between having a female main character and having female bosses but yeah there's been some instances where the last boss has been male or undetermined

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Calaveron posted:

I thought it was a neat correlation between having a female main character and having female bosses but yeah there's been some instances where the last boss has been male or undetermined

three of the final bosses are genetically engineered cyber brains that have been given female affectations. im not certain i would consider them strictly female

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

CharlestheHammer posted:

Yeah no boss can deal with that move. Especially since you get 2 charges and it refills extremely quickly

It seems so powerful compared to like the invis cloak. I didn't realize how quick it reloaded until those shield chozo guys kept loving me up even after 50 missiles and I just went for it

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Also I’m sad Samus Metroid Hand isn’t gonna be a thing

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Barreft posted:

It seems so powerful compared to like the invis cloak. I didn't realize how quick it reloaded until those shield chozo guys kept loving me up even after 50 missiles and I just went for it

Did you know there isn’t a cool down so you can chain them together? It’s insane

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The big thing that helped was realizing you can kind of hip aim the multi missiles by using the left stick without the aim mode

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

GI_Clutch posted:

I've found the best things to do when a boss is whooping your rear end repeatedly are to:
  • Slow down. Take some time to learn the patterns and attacks instead of just trying to blow poo poo up ASAP.
  • Take a break. The final boss was kicking my rear end so I decided to step away for an hour. I went back and got him on my next attempt.

To add to this (for the people who want more direct advice), here's a good video guide on the fight itself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKjd8I4XTzs

It shows how to avoid and counter every attack, and he beats the boss in 5 minutes.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

TaurusOxford posted:

To add to this (for the people who want more direct advice), here's a good video guide on the fight itself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKjd8I4XTzs

It shows how to avoid and counter every attack, and he beats the boss in 5 minutes.

Yeah I've had to slow down my brain and just watch the patterns slowly and shoot when I can. It saves way more time doing that then just trying to dps unload, die, and repeat. But my brain's been programmed so long for that. Haven't played Dark Souls in awhile

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

It still could be. At the end of she presumably got the ability to control Metroidness rather than lost it entirely.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean it still could be. She doesn't need the Metroid Suit to drain energy, she does it to multiple enemies before she goes berserk.

And I read the ending as Quiet Robe-X just bringing the Metroid DNA under control, not erasing it.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
The absolute best part of the game is annihilating an entire school of alien fish then collecting all the tiny parasites.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

RBA Starblade posted:

I am reasonably sure it's a "this way is progress" indicator

I guess in broad strokes maybe but in a few cases I've seen them hanging around doors that can only be accessed by going the opposite directiom

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean are you abusing that dash you get really early. The chozo can not handle that move at all

Neither can the final boss for that matter.

That move might be the best move in the game

I've one shot everything after Krait with little fuss by pressing A.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I mean it still could be. She doesn't need the Metroid Suit to drain energy, she does it to multiple enemies before she goes berserk.

And I read the ending as Quiet Robe-X just bringing the Metroid DNA under control, not erasing it.

It really could go either way- if she's still part metroid then Raven Beak wasn't wrong about calling her a potential threat to the galaxy, both in terms of "not necessarily being able to control her mutation" and "everyone who previously wanted metroids are just going to be ripping and tearing to get to her instead". It's also possible that with the "end of this story arc" they call everything involving Metroids and X done since we've blown up like 3 planets about it at this point, Metroid mutation contained, nothing to see here, time to focus on real bounties again.

I would not bet on the latter tbh

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Bought this game and played about an hour so far. Does the game always make you go into an angled view when you charge the Omega beam?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

At very least they have a reason to keep using the name Metroid Since it is established it is Chozo for "Ultimate warrior" and that sure describes Samus.

Slowpoke! posted:

Bought this game and played about an hour so far. Does the game always make you go into an angled view when you charge the Omega beam?

Yes, it's part of how those work since your goal is to find an area that allows you to either stream or pile on the charge.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Samus Returns
Fusion (well, don't know if Omega Metroids have a gender)
Zero Mission (?)

Maybe add in Prime 1 too who knows if the Metroid that gorged itself on Phazon was a queen or not

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

its very nice that theres a unique animation for shooting a rocket at the spinning fans

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
12 hours and 100%. Thoughts. Thoughts. Okay.

The game is very, very, okay. A lot of aspects of it are quite good! But it also has a lot of things holding it back. Overall it loves to swing back and forth between deftness and awkwardness. I am definitely very happy to have played it (and to have seen a new Metroid title here in Anno Domini Twenty Twenty One). In many places the game shines but it lacks the overall slickness of the Prime games and honestly makes me almost as curious as I am hype about how Prime 4 will turn out. But let's not compare Dread to an imagined Prime 4.

The moment-to-moment basic movement actions in Dread feel very good. Samus is snappy and responsive, breezy yet purposeful, and exactly fast enough to make trekking from one end of a map to the other not feel like a chore even when it perhaps is. The beam and missiles are very satisfying to spam and the platforming is on point. This makes it all the more tragic that the control scheme is liquid rear end. I rate it a solid three Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eaters out of five. Even being generous and offering to take the game completely at its word, and even disregarding Nintendo's typical sneering dismissal of literally any worthwhile customisation or god forbid accessibility (for which they should never stop being shamed), the control scheme is wrong. It uses the wrong buttons, for stuff. It doesn't make the game unplayable, it just makes it awkward and introduces a lot of failure points. From the outset it's a little ridiculous to hold two triggers and a stick and tap a face button to fire free-aimed missiles, and that's at a standstill - trying to chain grapple swings is madness. A lot of little ambiguities like sliding quickly and standing back up versus activating morph ball can ruin your day in a boss fight.

I think the shinespark situation is bad. Maybe I would have thought differently if I had grown up speedrunning Super Metroid but I just can't make any sense of it. It's an extremely cool and situationally powerful tech with heaps of meaning to players and ideal to build puzzles around, and despite the rest of this paragraph I do think the puzzles built around it were pretty great. But it also feels like a complete afterthought in that it never seems to come up or be tutorialised during the main game ever, and then suddenly it becomes necessary to do some absurd mastery run to get a handful of upgrades later and each one hinges on some arcane application of it which is also never taught to you. Some are completely out of left field, like walljumping maintaining your speed boost, but I gather many of these - like how you can shinespark out of morph ball, or into a slope - are consistent with previous implementations of the tech. This is worse, because that means they are hinging the puzzle experience on knowledge from outside the game. The only pickup in the game I looked up was for, uh, I forget which region it was in but it's a long sequence where you do a lot of short dashes, get the spark, and drop down shafts to spark into slopes. I had no idea this would set you speed boosting again. It took me a couple watches of the video I found to even figure out what the hell the player was actually doing. And this is just the theory - in practice, it's a catastrophe of competing inputs, mostly to do with accidentally going into a spin jump. The speed boost itself is pretty awkward too, seeming to have no real consistency between things that cancel it and things that don't.

(One room-elephant-like detail common to both the complaints I've just made is that both - aiming controls and speed-boost puzzles - are matters that Shadow Complex kinda nonchalantly just completely one-ups this whole series in. In particular I adore Shadow Complex's speed boost and its wallhugging runs, especially how flipping between walls or from floor to ceiling flows so naturally and requires so little learning to get your head around even when the implications of what you might be able to do with the tech can be mind-bending.)

The world design in general is excellent and it hits all the incredible notes of weaving in and out and through a bunch of different areas and recontextualising entire environments around your new toys that you'd ever dream of. In particular, the ways in which the world changes during the plot are cool, but also kind of a double-edged sword, because it's also used to really irritatingly railroad you. I gather this is a reversal of Fusion's regression in this manner, which I guess is welcome, but it's fairly obnoxious how often the game pulls these cute tricks to completely kill any possibility of you backtracking. Maybe it's just me but for me the quintessential Metroid experience is always getting a cool new power and suddenly having like four or five places I saw earlier just float to the front of my mind as the available actions expand. Dread does this too, except more often than not it then immediately kneecaps that wondrous experience by slamming a door shut behind you.

The bosses are really good! I don't have a backhander for this one. They're good bosses. I guess it's a little weird that for all that Samus' power seems to be exponentially increasing and you finishing the game with maybe 16x the HP you start with it never seems like you ever get more defensive, like maybe I'd tentatively say that the 100 point E-tank paradigm serves more nostalgia purposes than gameplay ones, but this is barely a complaint because the game on the whole does a good job of organically integrating the exploration and powerup gathering into the general experience of plot-centric player power growth. The worst I can say about bosses is the same comment about overtuning everyone seems to make. But no, the bosses are great! They're frantic, and short, and hit as hard as it feels like they should be able to hit, and eminently retryable without making you go through minutes of motions every time, and that combination makes how difficult they are into more of an asset than a liability. As an action game, it honestly sings. The only real complaint I have is that I think they should've had health bars, because frequently it doesn't really feel like you're progressing even when you are, and a lot of people have no idea the one experiment guy heals so much, and I gather some of them had invincible phases I never knew about? And I think there's a little inconsistency about what's counterable.

The EMMI are an intriguing notion. They both did and did not work out. They're certainly a shakeup to the formula. I like the idea of switching from an outright action game to a tense stealth one using the same concepts, and often I think it worked, although I think the systems were a little underbaked and after a while the EMMI started seeming a little rote and tedious. I would have liked to see a greater emphasis on their individual abilities and interplay between the action and stealth in their encounters. There's one that's notable for being able to lock on for chase mode through walls, and that one was the one that really drove home how samey they all were, because as it turns out it's merely insistent on you taking the approach that the other EMMI all implied you should take; discarding stealth and just running through. I really liked the concept of the Omega Beam and having to game things to line up the headshot - always a sucker for a good execution of "the level is the real boss" - but even these seemed to me to always resolve down to a very tightly designed room with nowhere else to go and not much potential for a real puzzle. I think they tried to have and eat their cake with the counter thing; I think it's an odd mechanic that's there so they can say "it's not necessarily a one-hit kill!" but the design doesn't accommodate these things not being an existential threat. I think they should've stuck to their convictions and made it a straight KO with a very short animation, and get you right back on the retry - like the bosses.

The powerups are pretty good. The classics are present and correct and there's some oddballs to shake things up like the Cross Bomb, which for how weird it is I kinda love for adding a little dynamism to the morph ball loadout. On the whole they did a pretty good job of having each powerup - even the incremental ones - feel like a pretty big escalation of your capabilities, and many of them have that "this could really open things up!" vibe to them, if not for how the game just keeps closing doors behind you!

The graphical style of the game is great - I get the sense Nintendo leaned on the team to make it a good fit for the OLED Switch, so there's a lot of bright lights in dark rooms (but Hollow Knight remains the undisputed champion of OLED showcases), I love the suit designs, especially, the basic power suit. It seems to perform pretty decently too, but what's with the cutscenes invariably seeming to tank the framerate? I've heard there's a 30fps cap, but this seems way beyond that. Overall the game looks good, but I don't think it really looks distinctive after all, I don't think there are any standout environments, certainly nothing that's gonna stick with me. A little more on this in the next paragraph.

The plot is, in retrospect, honestly pretty good. It's one of those humble little things that doesn't harbor any great aspirations to be art but they clearly all sat down at the very outset, decided what The Twist was going to be, and wrote the whole game around it. I can always respect a good twist hidden right under my nose, and I can certainly respect any time a game manages to pull the particular fakeout where it seems like it's badly written but actually it's just telegraphing super hard. Also, the environments we're exploring are a basically functioning Chozo settlement, with inhabitants a lot more recently deceased than usual and plenty of stages set for dramatic surprises. Such character as it has is largely a function of the Chozo who died out in favour of Raven Beak's followers, their facilities of peace crumbling from disuse as they prepare for doubtless glorious war. It seems like a tiny bit of a stretch to say that the environments seeming a little "generic Metroid" (such as it is) is actually a part of the plot in which Raven Beak is setting all this up to basically engineer a character growth beat for Samus but I could buy it, maybe. So, yeah, all the time you think Adam is being an insistent downer, it's actually Raven Beak, because Adam hasn't spoken to us since the first and only time in the game he addresses us as "lady" bit, and the whole thing is just a single, small, well executed, twist, and on some level literally the entire game is telegraphing it. Thematically, I also like Dread as a coda to Fusion's self-reflection about what Samus has come to represent both as an in-universe figure and a player character, and as an occasion to implicitly ask if anyone in this galaxy, even the Chozo, is not just going to try and use her at this point, and if not, what will she do with all the identities she has subsumed? She's now the maybe-not-quite-last Chozo as well as the last Metroid and the last X (I think? Is that what we're to take of the very final scene?), and she's been burned by multiple families over power. There were hints that this would "end" the story as it stands now, and Samus sure does have cause to be thinking "what now?" as she explodes yet another planet and sails off. And always, always, there is the subtext of Metroid, the series, a being with its own power of a sort, brought back from the dead by Nintendo, to wield that power for its own ends, and the dr-- the worry that the game's own ends may not survive intact the weight of their intentions for it, or that it might struggle to contain the legacy it's come to represent as it charts a new course into the future.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I really wanna see the time trial rewards because there's 6 slots but I'm not a speedrunner :negative:

100% is now in the bag though, just under 10 hours by 2 minutes so Good Enough :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
11:17, 100%.

Great game - first Metroid I think I have ever done 100% on without looking something up intentionally (although I probably absorbed a hint or two about some shinespark puzzles reading this thread, even dodging spoilers).

Probably the best 2D metroid from a pure game execution standpoint IMO. Not the most significant (Super Metroid) or even my personal/emotional favorite (NES Metroid) - but holy poo poo a great game all around. Perfect difficulty, nothing seemed like extraordinary bullshit to get past, but still died plenty of times trying to figure things out. Good twist at the end, Metroid Samus is awesome, bird dad was a great fight - took way too many tries before I realized the very final part of that fight doesn't function like the Omega cannon.

I feel like most complaints about different bosses can be summed up as "not using Flash Shift/Storm Missiles enough."