Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I regret to inform you there are ___three___ more videos of this. :negative:

E: To be fair, one of them is a dungeon. It still sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Welp.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

How did they let this intermission go on for so long, what happened to the editors

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
They fired all their editors after Ys Origin, pretty sure.

Nah but seriously, I think this intermission is fine. Could be tighter, sure, but for what it is it's nice to chill out for an hour or two in a change of setting.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Oct 13, 2021

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
This has at least answered some of the points or questions made earlier. Why do so many NPC's know about the Eclipse? It's because this is where a major incident happened 10 years ago, and the number of events are spiking once again (which answers "why are these rare events seeming to happen so often"). Organizations are moving, putting their own people in place in advance to try and be more prepared than they were last time.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Yuzu miso is really good, to be fair

[Edit: That dinner table is hilariously enormous, what even is scale we just don’t know]

AmiYumi fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 14, 2021

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

A global catastrophe 10 years ago? You mean the earthquake, that only affected Tokyo?

e: translation issue, Kou should not say "global" in that sentence. Mitsuki probably shouldn't word it like that either, pretty sure that should be 'catastrophes have occurred worldwide'.

Polsy fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 15, 2021

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
The fact that konjac has an extra k on the end here will not cease to annoy me.

Also the use of quotation marks makes it look like Gorou is airquoting the "gas leak".

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

With how effective the memory wipe app has been so far chances are he knows what's up and is just faking it so he doesn't get Mitsuki's toughs on his rear end with the real memory-wipe app, which is just a lead pipe upside the head.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Polsy posted:

A global catastrophe 10 years ago? You mean the earthquake, that only affected Tokyo?

“They’re world famous in Poland”.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Polsy posted:

not the earthquake so much as the ensuing worldwide shortage of Magical Alisa merchandise

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hwurmp posted:

not the earthquake so much as the ensuing worldwide shortage of Magical Alisa merchandise

The United States and parts of Luxembourg never recovered from the "Alisa Riots".

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 49: The Cool, Refreshing Taste of a Dr. Paper :siren:

Now that Asuka and Mitsuki are done trying to strong-arm us, we're going to take a second and just talk to everyone to see how they're feeling about these revelations. And of course, we can't forget Rion, who's looking mighty thirsty...

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's actually pronounced "Dacter Paper"

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I am really sad at all the party members we're missing, really we could have had a filled party made of supporting cast members and I feel they'd be a lot more interesting than the current one.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SIGSEGV posted:

I am really sad at all the party members we're missing, really we could have had a filled party made of supporting cast members and I feel they'd be a lot more interesting than the current one.

I'm pretty happy with the main cast we've got going right now as a party, but Towa, Rion, and Mr. Goro would make excellent additions to the circle of competence, not gonna lie. Jun, Shiori and Ryouta can still gently caress the hell off.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 16, 2021

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Yeah, I was thinking of the same characters. There's also the antiquarian lady and Kyouka and I'm sure I could, possibly, think of a few more.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Just give us the New Game+ option of “Towa, With A Gun” and make it realistically OP

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

A character named Asuka with mommy issues fighting other worldly creatures and her weapon uses her dead mother's soul. Where have I heard this story before?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 50: The Wall is a Metaphor :siren:

We finally bite the bullet and spend some one-on-one time with Shiori, but the plot is quick to intervene and bail Kou out. That was dangerously close, we might have accidentally given her some characterization or something.

:siren: Chapter 6 Free Time :siren:

She's a biggun this time around, as we're rapidly coming up on the end of the game and running out of time to hang out with our friends. You may select five of the following choices:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- Kou has essentially been saying that hes effectively been sleepwalking through his life since middle school, which is one reason why he seems so bland. The Eclipse stuff happening has changed him to wake up more and find passion in doing something again.
- :lol: at the example you used being "checking out some dude's radio making weird noises".
- Actually, while Kou might not have been driving all the conversations, he has usually been the one to chime in with a key argument that hits a character in a way they can't defend.
- The conversation with Asuka where she asks Kou "what's your motivation" scene, and Kou's introspection scene for me made me wonder my first time playing if there was something underneath those scenes, because Falcom does like to layer things. Kou's conclusion was "Nah, this is just 'my style,'" but that felt too simple an answer.
- This whole hot springs trip could have been a lot worse. Thankfully, this game doesn't do the "accidentally entered the wrong bath" cliche. For once.
- If the idea is that this is a test of resolve for everyone, I think it's possible Rem was waiting for Kou to decide before the time stop.

- Friendship episodes you do with non-party member characters in this chapter, and party members (and also Jun) in the next chapter unlock certain scenes later. You can see all the scenes as you unlock, it's not a "pick your one strongest bond" thing. I strongly recommend doing Shiori's friendship episode in this chapter. I mean, who else are you going to spend time with? Ryouta? Mr. Gorou? I don't think so.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 19, 2021

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 51: A Girl and Her Puppy :siren:

At last, we come to the end of our little intermission. But standing between us and the end is the aptly named "Sacred Land of Eternity", a dungeon and boss (especially the boss) that feels about twice as long as it actually is.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

It looked like every time the boss fox changed weaknesses, it lost a tail.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
That mandatory scene with Gorou a bit earlier talking about the cult of the fox god was there to explain a reason why Rem took the guise of the fox god for this boss fight.

Maigius posted:

It looked like every time the boss fox changed weaknesses, it lost a tail.

It did.

- Thread of Life isn't "steal HP from enemies", it's "automatically recover HP over time." Fortitude is "Reduce damage done by half when health is above 80%". Combine those two on Shio and he's an even better tank.

- The dungeon isn't very fun, but I did like the boss's more defensive style. Most of the bosses have had no elemental weaknesses at all, so only being able to hit the weaknesses 3/5 of the time is an improvement.

- Being able to swap out other characters master core, even if they only have an option of two types is still really great for flexibility. On a NG+ game, you can do that from the start, but you will need to have a master core of that type, which is a separate carry-over option.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

If you're going to eat poo poo on a dungeon, I suspect it's gonna be on the eX+ content. That's rude enough that it actually stopped me for a decent period of time.

Watching the dungeon play, it'd probably help if you actually used your EX skills. The damage on those would definitely help you clear the dungeon a lot more efficiently instead of just trying to normal your way through the entire dungeon. They refill more than fast enough (especially with the breakables which were functionally useless) that you could easily refill them by the end.

Speaking of using X-Drive on the boss, using it to convert the boss to All-type weakness for a time is probably what you want to use it on to help you push your way past the two phases in which it's not weak to one of your party members. Overall, Five-Tails is really not that hard, its attacks are incredibly telegraphed, so it's just punching your way through it.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

I'm betting that a part of not using it is trying to get that combo chain up to the right number, so more hits at lower damage are in fashion and once it's done, the estimate is that they take too long to recharge to use them before the boss.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 52: It's Time to Cast "Gun" :siren:

We've got one more date with White Shroud before we get back to the main plot, but this time White Shroud has a friend. And his friend also has a little friend.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Artix posted:

:siren: Part 52: It's Time to Cast "Gun" :siren:

We've got one more date with White Shroud before we get back to the main plot, but this time White Shroud has a friend. And his friend also has a little friend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDI1KlXRogo

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

featuring the best special attack bark in the game: RAYATTOBASUTA

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Armoured Soldier is not particularly subtle, no.

That said, one thing that came up is healing - sometimes teammates will heal you when you're low, based on your upgrades. White Shroud and Armoured Soldier are teched out and solidly bonded, and thus take advantage of that a lot.

Helpful, too, because otherwise you would have eaten poo poo to those goddamn triple freeze pool spits.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Wait, did they seriously try to keep the voice filter up for Legally Distinct Master Chief when he took off his helmet?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

AradoBalanga posted:

Wait, did they seriously try to keep the voice filter up for Legally Distinct Master Chief when he took off his helmet?

Yes. They are desperately trying to hold on to that one last thin thread of ambiguity and plausible deniability as to who Dollar Store John-117 may or may not be. Because remember, like we said across the video, these Side Stories aren't in the original game, so the fact that this dude has even showed up here in the first place is technically a spoiler for the main game, him popping the helmet off probably hours before he does so in the non-Ex+ version even more so.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

it's not a voice filter, he just smokes too much

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

Cyouni posted:

Armoured Soldier
I believe you mean “Man in Battle Suite”, as it was helpfully subtitled during what was presumably supposed to be the dramatic part of the side story but I burst out laughing instead

[Edit: If there is a “Proofreader” credit to anything other than MS Office spellcheck I am calling shenanigans]

Hwurmp posted:

it's not a voice filter, he just smokes too much
NGL, I wanted him to take off his helmet and there wasn’t even a voice filter, he’s just a huge Kevin Michael Richardson looking dude, from the US army base. Give me any twist, game!

AmiYumi fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Oct 26, 2021

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

AmiYumi posted:

I believe you mean “Man in Battle Suite”, as it was helpfully subtitled during what was presumably supposed to be the dramatic part of the side story but I burst out laughing instead

[Edit: If there is a “Proofreader” credit to anything other than MS Office spellcheck I am calling shenanigans]

They had at least someone read through the script for the eX+ version, the Vita version can't even keep their localized names straight at times.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- To be fair, one reason for having this side story is that it gets to show the mysterious figure when none of the main cast is around. It establishes something for the audience while still keeping it a surprise for the main characters.
- What really makes the "soldier" awkward to play as is that for some reason, the combo moveset for their normal attack (the rapid-fire ranged shot) includes a melee swipe in it. (As a note, despite the rapid-fire attack being ranged, because it's the "normal" attack, the enemy shot shield doesn't stop the gun's rapid-fire attack, only the charge-up more powerful shot.)
- Most of the point of the side stories is really about expanding the other non-Kou characters (not counting these mystery folks). The over-arching plot of the side stories does tie into the main plot, but in a complicated way, and the reveal of the connection comes very late.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
:siren: Part 53: Tactical Eclipse Drops :siren:

The cowards at Falcom did not, in fact, make a tiny dungeon to go along with their tiny gate. A curse be upon for this transgression.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Tokyo Xanadu continues to find new ways to completely and utterly disappoint me.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

you have to jump through the top part of the gate to make the dungeon tiny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015

nine-gear crow posted:

Tokyo Xanadu continues to find new ways to completely and utterly disappoint me.

Some people just can’t stand innovation.