Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

homeless snail posted:

I demand grouchio be freed. he is under my protection, and should not suffer for his art

art without suffering is naught but pablum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
art is neat

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

the real question is whether he's a worse dad than sasuke

they both suck but like, we gotta set a metric here for ninja clan dads

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

sasuke doesn't know how to parent and sarada has pretty much accepted that and is on good terms with him

naruto tries to parent and is bad at it because he has to do 5 billion things

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

marumaru posted:

maidragon s2 was good
i want more maidragon
it's so comfy

:same:

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

oh my loving god kiryu's voice actor is a bit role in this filler arc

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

losing my poo poo at a giant water tank filled with snakes

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Aurora posted:

oh my loving god kiryu's voice actor is a bit role in this filler arc

he should teach Naruto how to be a dad

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

DoubleDonut posted:

he should teach Naruto how to be a dad

Were we watching the same Kiryu?

https://i.imgur.com/9Fqxuky.mp4

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
People really weren't kidding about Wonder Egg going from 'really solid, like 7 or 8/10' to... I don't even know... fast enough to give you whiplash at about episode 9.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

kado: the right answer taught me never to trust an anime until it's done.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the wonder egg writer is great at writing very raw, casual dialog. he is terrible at understanding sensitive emotional issues and situations or carrying coherent emotional themes and you can tell when he goes from knowing what he's writing to not knowing because he immediately starts relying on controversy and "dangerous subjects". his trans manga is one of the worst trans manga i have ever read and explains a lot about why wonder egg feels like it awkwardly shifts what it's doing every two eps

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the thing that explains a lot about wonder egg awkwardly shifting what its doing every two eps is the interview where the writer proudly states that he only came up with frill around episode 7.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Endorph posted:

the thing that explains a lot about wonder egg awkwardly shifting what its doing every two eps is the interview where the writer proudly states that he only came up with frill around episode 7.

JFC, this was doomed from the start.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i wish all the best for the extremely talented director and animation staff of wonder egg priority. currently they seem to be working on an adaptation of that one manga about a gal cosplaying, which will probably have much more coherent statements about sexism in modern japanese society.

i wish for the writer of wonder egg to realize his true calling in life and just write 4koma manga about girls in a club.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Furnaceface posted:

Were we watching the same Kiryu?

https://i.imgur.com/9Fqxuky.mp4

The baby survived it's fine

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

EN Council is heading towards a civil war. This will be glorious. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFHEsmtWh24

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

i liked the part where Wonder Egg insinuated with no apparent irony or subversion that the apparent suicide victim was actually just a lying whore the whole time

(i did not, in fact, like that part)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
honestly one thing i'll give sunu sumu over wonder egg there is that the dramatic beat around the trans girl loving every single one of the mc's dozen girlfriends he was cheating on at once, is so utterly insane and goes so few places and gets answered in such an equally ridiculous way, that instead of being mean spirited or hosed up it's just loving hilarious

now the bad part of sunu sumu is that the manipulative gay teacher arc is the worst thing i've ever read in my life

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 13, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Cowboy Bebop anime is coming to Netflix on the 21st:

https://deadline.com/2021/10/neflix-acquires-rights-26-episodes-of-cowboy-bebop-anime-1234855060/

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Doesn't seem like they got the movie though, so still no place to legally stream that...

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arist posted:

Doesn't seem like they got the movie though, so still no place to legally stream that...

It is streaming on Netflix Canada if you're using a VPN. Only the subtitled version, however.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

i liked the part where Wonder Egg insinuated with no apparent irony or subversion that the apparent suicide victim was actually just a lying whore the whole time

(i did not, in fact, like that part)
see i dont think the idea is entirely unworkable. a person can be deserving of empathy even if they arent perfect and the idea that ai didnt really know koito as well as she thought is interesting.

the issue is it was dropped in the last episode instead of ep 3, seemingly as part of an apology tour for a teacher theyd made creepy by. themselves. like i still dont understand the teacher bit. they clearly *think* theyre making some point about ai assuming hes creepy to give herself a villain to pin everything on, which is workable, but the issue is. to accomplish this, they made him act creepy! like drawing a painting of your student giving a seductive look to the camera and calling it 'heat' and talking about how she's going to grow up to be hot like her mom (that you are loving) is creepy! it isnt a subversion if you make a guy act creepy and then say 'but he isnt.' like if i make a guy shoot innocent civilians in the head and then have it revealed that actually he was a good person all along and everyone just wanted him to be evil, he still shot people in the head.

like. idk. make him ugly and kind of offputtingly awkward but have him act normally and then id buy the idea that ai was the person at fault for distrusting him/assuming he was to blame.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GorfZaplen posted:

Giving up romcoms is a sensible thing to do. There's a lot more anime out there that frankly have more mature depictions of adult relationships. You're making a good choice!

But if you do that then you're not reading Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i need to reread sunu sumu in japanese some day, to see if it was just the translation, or the resolution to gay teacher dating a trans girl because he views her as a beautiful little angel boy, is seriously meant to resolve with the characters standing up to him and saying it's bad that he is dating the trans girl who's like 30 years younger than him, because he does not actually view her as a girl and instead views her as a boy. and then just walk away without like reporting it to anyone at all. like guys cool you separated the trans girl from the weird abusive relationship but what

there's like a line in that arc about how the reason nono is dating him is because her dad died and she needs a father figure and it's like i... i don't... nojima what. man i'll even take most of the messier and goofier trans stuff in here at least some of that is sorta interesting but what is this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nojima is a guy who starts at a sort of interesting point and then just layers on whatever stupid poo poo he thought of halfway through and assumes its exactly as astute and intelligent as anything else.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i will give up romcoms when i'm in my grave

bury me with lovely complex, school rumble, and ranma

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

The 7th Guest posted:

i will give up romcoms when i'm in my grave

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

see i dont think the idea is entirely unworkable. a person can be deserving of empathy even if they arent perfect and the idea that ai didnt really know koito as well as she thought is interesting.

i mean yes it could have worked if they had actually done something more with that twist beyond just blurting out Koito's a whore! at the end of the show, but they obviously didn't, they just called her a whore and then curtains.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh yeah its just another example of the show desperately needing to just pick something to be about

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I finished Parasyte and man, that was a trip. I like the conclusion in terms of plot in that the parasytes learned to adapt instead of trying to take over everything as they initially did.

As a rhetorical question, I wonder what the selection process is for Netflix in terms of what anime they choose to have on their streaming services.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they seem to select for western appeal but have a fairly antiquated idea of what appeals to the west. so you get lots of action sci-fi and fantasy stuff, the kinda thing that was big in the 90s. a lot of the stuff they fund could pass for 90s ovas.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i think baki is the only thing i'd call out there but it's also a very 90s series

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

I would genuinely love for them to pick up more shirobako like stuff

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Aurora posted:

i think baki is the only thing i'd call out there but it's also a very 90s series

They also have their own Devilman

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

TV Zombie posted:

I would genuinely love for them to pick up more shirobako like stuff

One of the PA works guys talked about going to a conference where shirobako was singled out as a "what not to do" for appealing to international audiences

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Motto posted:

One of the PA works guys talked about going to a conference where shirobako was singled out as a "what not to do" for appealing to international audiences

This is why we can't have nice things.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i'm kind of glad netflix does not play a large role in anime tbh

e: or at least, that it's not larger

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Motto posted:

Oh what. This is sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Motto posted:

yeah i remember this, wasnt it the director of shirobako/gup himself