Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Been thinking about making a bloodline of radioactive vampires (obviously different from the Zeky). What book had the rules on how Radiation affects vampires?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

First edition: Saturnine Night's treatment of radiation includes crossover rules for vampires, whose vitae is poisoned and made fallow. World of Darkness: Mirrors presents the same base radiation rules but simply declares vampires immune to radiation poisoning.
Second edition: Night Horrors: The Tormented and Deviant: The Renegades both include the second edition rules for radiation hazards, neither of which make any crossover specifications for vampires.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Things are finally settling down and I was turned into the LA by Night series on YouTube, which has really given me a hankering for VtM.

Last I'd checked this thread was basically the nMage literal bucket of die discussion thread and anything else gets shat on, but anyone have any interest in playing a modern era v5 game with a slightly modified lore setup?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Things are finally settling down and I was turned into the LA by Night series on YouTube, which has really given me a hankering for VtM.

Last I'd checked this thread was basically the nMage literal bucket of die discussion thread and anything else gets shat on, but anyone have any interest in playing a modern era v5 game with a slightly modified lore setup?

Yes, please. My own V5 game died sometime last year due to trying to wrangle 3 players in different time zones. I would love to actually play this game instead of trying to run it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I Am Just a Box posted:

First edition: Saturnine Night's treatment of radiation includes crossover rules for vampires, whose vitae is poisoned and made fallow. World of Darkness: Mirrors presents the same base radiation rules but simply declares vampires immune to radiation poisoning.
Second edition: Night Horrors: The Tormented and Deviant: The Renegades both include the second edition rules for radiation hazards, neither of which make any crossover specifications for vampires.

Thanks, got both of the 1e books so I'll look into them to see what I can figure out for the Nuclear Vampires.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Fuzz posted:

Sure.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Fuzz posted:

I'm down.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I would play or maybe run some v5 with you all. I'm in a pbp-style discord game and that's also a nice option if people don't want a real-time game.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

I’d be down for a PbP Discord game of V5, and would enjoy getting a chance to play.

In terms of preference, I’d prefer an Anarch-based game or one where we play elders, but I’m down for whatever.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

ritorix posted:

I would play or maybe run some v5 with you all. I'm in a pbp-style discord game and that's also a nice option if people don't want a real-time game.

Gatto Grigio posted:

I’d be down for a PbP Discord game of V5, and would enjoy getting a chance to play.

In terms of preference, I’d prefer an Anarch-based game or one where we play elders, but I’m down for whatever.

This would be how I'd run it, yeah. Also would happily play.

Maybe we should both run chronicles!

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Fuzz posted:

This would be how I'd run it, yeah. Also would happily play.

Maybe we should both run chronicles!

You said you were looking to do B5 with a modified lore setup, so I assumed you were running but I could be wrong?

What sort of modified lore were you thinking?

Gatto Grigio fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 10, 2021

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Gatto Grigio posted:

You said you were looking to do B5 with a modified lore setup, so I assumed you were running but I could be wrong?

What sort of modified lore were you thinking?

Was to Ritorix, who also wanted to run one.

I was gonna bring back my old Revised setting where the Sabbat is less goofy vampire lunatics and more.... well, like it is in v5, with it mostly being an ideological disparity based on vampiric religion, and the idea of Caine and whatnot being minority viewpoints of how the Kindred are the way they are.

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Fuzz posted:

I was gonna bring back my old Revised setting where the Sabbat is less goofy vampire lunatics and more.... well, like it is in v5, with it mostly being an ideological disparity based on vampiric religion, and the idea of Caine and whatnot being minority viewpoints of how the Kindred are the way they are.

Ah, I see. Yeah, that’s cool with me.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Fuzz posted:

By all means please run a game, usually finding a GM is the hard part. If you need help setting up a v5 discord bot let me know. Thirstbot is the one to get.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I'd be down for trying it out now that some of the edgelord has been taken out. Discord or here anarch pbp is my preference.

A Renaissance Nerd
Mar 29, 2010
I'd be interested in playing; I've run a bunch of V5 but have only played it a few times.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I was setting up for a PtC 2e mini campaign. I have some mixed feelings on the edition update, but going back and forth in the book after sometime away from Storytelling/Storyteller/Storypath made me feel visceral pain at how awfully disorganized all the books are. Like, it seems there is an institutional pressure within WW/OPP to have their books be as inconvenient as possible to use. From how the prose often obscures rules, to rules related to each other being scattered all over, to random relevant subsystems being hidden away in corners of the books (and don't get me started on conditions), so on and so forth. I feel a case study is warranted to understand how they managed to do this through multiple companies and writer/editor changes, because V5 and 2e CoD are probably the worst about it.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Gatto Grigio posted:

Time for some brand synergy!!

Vampire scenario based off of Samson vs. The Vampire Women

Changeling: the Lost scenario based off of Manos: the Hands of Fate

Mage scenario based off of Merlin’s Shop of Mystical Wonders

Werewolf scenario based off of… wirrwilf wharwulf wuurwelf Werewolf.
We'll send them cheesy splatbooks
The worst we can make
We'll let them stat up Mage PCs
Just to watch the system break...

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://twitter.com/TheOnyxPath/status/1446683715992707074

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

Lol I thought they at least still owned CofD, I didn’t realize OP had fallen this far from grace.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Gatto Grigio posted:

Lol I thought they at least still owned CofD, I didn’t realize OP had fallen this far from grace.

They've never owned CofD. It's always been licensed to them.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
the fall from grace of the exact same licensing deal they always had

Warthur
May 2, 2004

While I understand OP's frustration on this point, it's still the case that the WoD/CofD stuff is by far the stuff they do which has gained the most cultural traction, so I have zero qualms about making WoD/MST3K jokes.

I can see the They Came From...! line as being the one where there's actual scope for MST3K crossover, and that's almost certainly the thinking, but let's not let that get in the way of assigning Crow, Tom Servo and the rest to their Promethean splats.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
They are obviously changelings

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Soonmot posted:

They are obviously changelings
C:tL ones, so the Satellite of Love is their durance and the Mads are True Fae? That makes an unusual amount of sense.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Warthur posted:

C:tL ones, so the Satellite of Love is their durance and the Mads are True Fae? That makes an unusual amount of sense.

You know, Arcadia's a lot like a circus, when you think about it...

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
That was exactly the path my thoughts took when I saw Tom servo and crow in a cod game. It just fits too well

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Warthur posted:

but let's not let that get in the way of assigning Crow, Tom Servo and the rest to their Promethean splats.

All 4 robots are unfleshed who cause regular firestorms to keep the wasteland effect in check, but their location in space means the firestorm effect is mainly the Satellite of Love shaking a bunch and then they have to watch bad movies.

The real question is which refinement they study.

Cambot's obviously Gold, Crow and Tom Servo must be Tin, and I feel like Gypsy is probably undecided or, at the very least, Bronze.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
Unrelated, but I joined a V5 game with trusted folks and I still gotta say:

Is there ever such a thing as a good Malkavian?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Terratina posted:

Unrelated, but I joined a V5 game with trusted folks and I still gotta say:

Is there ever such a thing as a good Malkavian?

No. Even the multiple optional takes on them in Requiem weren't very good.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

That Old Tree posted:

No. Even the multiple optional takes on them in Requiem weren't very good.

And for context, what were they?

Guess if you give a player carte blanche to be obnoxious, they will be.

The fact their Compulsion also triggers their Bane in V5 does little to help.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Terratina posted:

And for context, what were they?

The fact their Compulsion also triggers their Bane in V5 does little to help.

It wasn't as fishmalky as Masquerade, but it was still "your special vampire blood makes you kuh-razy" and tied into the Derangement system which sucked and was mercifully jettisoned with 2nd edition. Its "saving grace" is that even though it still sucked, Derangements in nWoD were at least taken a little more seriously, even if they still directly tied mental illness to your morality stat.

For some reason I had it in my mind that there were multiple potential backstories for Malkavia in the book, but skimming back through Lords of the Damned I guess not. It's just some mad vampire coming down with it in the Middle Ages and then spreading it around, and then some vague speculation about why it happened (curse from god? curse of being too kingly awesome?) and if they might have just been the first "diagnosed" Malkavian.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Oct 13, 2021

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

That Old Tree posted:

For some reason I had it in my mind that there were multiple potential backstories for Malkavia in the book, but skimming back through Lords of the Damned I guess not. It's just some mad vampire coming down with it in the Middle Ages and then spreading it around, and then some vague speculation about why it happened (curse from god? curse of being too kingly awesome?) and if they might have just been the first "diagnosed" Malkavian.

You might be thinking of Requiem's first take on Malkavians, the Malkovian bloodline from the first edition corebook. Second edition corebook also has an artifact letter musing about "the M," but it lines up largely with what was already in Lords Over the Damned.

Anyway yeah Malkavians were never a good idea for a clan of vampires. Individual good Malkavian characters are possible, but vanishingly rare and would have been better done as mad or maladjusted vampires of other clans.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Some of the source books had interesting Malkavian npc concepts that aren't vessels for "lul totally random comedy(tm)", and the madness network being the thing that just takes a guy freaking out about being undead and pushing them just one step further is a neat enough idea to justify a clan, especially when most of the clans are basically as one note anyway. Unfortunately,

Terratina posted:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Shadows of New York had one. Apparently the one in LA By Night starts off kind of Rain Man-esque but he gets a lot more monstrous as things go on.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
Thanks guys.

I'm just tired of "X knows but can't communicate coherently" or the like poppijg up in chat.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Dawgstar posted:

Shadows of New York had one. Apparently the one in LA By Night starts off kind of Rain Man-esque but he gets a lot more monstrous as things go on.

Yeah I like the one in Shadows of New York a lot. It’s kind of close to pop culture MPD, but instead speaking very directly to contemporary identity issues and you get a very clear idea of what specifically her “madness” is.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

I get the impression Malkavians are mostly for players who want to be Batman villains.

And Ravnos are for players who want to be Loki.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I like Malkavians and Ravnos, but you do get bad ones more often than good ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Malkavians should always be restricted to good players you know and trust. Daeren did an amazing malk in my game with sanguinary animism. Didn't use dementation though, I just cooked up a power that related to his character's fixations and sanguinary animism that let him put feels into blood-paints and related shenanigans.