Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
When your PM keeps track,
of task state using slack,
that’s agile

When you spend your work time,
keeping tickets in line,
that’s agile

product planning meeting includes a line item for “address basic gaps in service offerings” which is encouraging I guess but that one line’s doing an awful lot of lifting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gene Hackman Fan

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My job literally pays me to sit on hold with manufacturers. I've spent so much time on the phone here lately that I can recognize which supplier a coworker is calling based on the hold music coming over their speakerphone.

I guess that's normal...?

Zil

Satanically Summoned Citrus

dsipal posted:

At work wishing I was unemployed and covered in grease with a scraggly neckbeard tbqh

Its not all it is cracked up to be. To be quite honest.

Sarah Cenia

Laying in the forest, by the water
Underneath these ferns
You'll never find me
being unemployed owns for that first week until the fear kicks in

Unless you have money saved up. Then it might be cool

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

I would like to be unemployed from current job so I can continue to be self employed with my other three jobs because I'M VERY TIRED ALWAYS

hot cocoa on the couch

i'd like to be unemployed but with insane amounts of money so i could have a big shop where i brew beer and make machines and work on cars and stuff. basically be an engineer like i am now except i can make whatever the heck i want

https://i.imgur.com/W7qTiB3.mp4

a LEGENDARY sig by the LEGENDARY LAP

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Boss makes a dollar,
I make a dime,
That's why I've showered on company time

I sell soap!
Some of it stinks!
That's why I pour it down the company sinks.

idiotsavant
Absolute tiptop peak boomer energy from the boss today including:
  • problematic boomer chitchat with a lady tenant about how he used to tell his awkward friend the best place to meet women was in elevators and to start things off with a smile because they’d smile back and then hey! Great start to your new romance
  • getting helplessly lost in the file explorer (+/-) type file directory for 20 minutes while trying to show me how to locally connect to/manipulate one of our hvac controllers
  • spending the rest of the time opening and closing the controls program over and over because it wasn’t detecting the controller properly (probably because we’re using a janky handmade rj45 to serial to rj45 series of connections that’s just a mess) and muttering “dang it” “darn it” “shoot” under his breath for the thousandth time after the exact same actions lead to the exact same result

All in all an incredible performance

Escape From Noise

I think today's brew day is probably going to go a bit long, unfortunately. Just the recipe. I mashed in hotter than I wanted, but if I'd waited for the temperature to drop, I would have been here all night.

Escape From Noise

Crap! Definitely milled the malt for today's batch too fine. Not quite a stuck sparge, but almost.

Escape From Noise

Spoke too soon. Stuck recirc! Arg! I may have fixed it without too much trouble but...I dunno

Escape From Noise

Fuuuuuuuuuuck! It's going to be a long loving day.

Escape From Noise

Okay! Got around target gravity this time at least!

Zil

Do you taste the beer you are making or is that another persons position?

hot cocoa on the couch

i just had a long rear end meeting where we talked about a TON of stuff, many pictures were drawn on the whiteboard and a lot of notes were written.

i have 1.5 hrs left in the day but i'm off tomorrow so as is tradition for my final day of the week after a long meeting, i'm not doing a single bit of work from here on out

Zil

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i just had a long rear end meeting where we talked about a TON of stuff, many pictures were drawn on the whiteboard and a lot of notes were written.

i have 1.5 hrs left in the day but i'm off tomorrow so as is tradition for my final day of the week after a long meeting, i'm not doing a single bit of work from here on out

Time to crank out the posts.

idiotsavant

Escape From Noise posted:

Fuuuuuuuuuuck! It's going to be a long loving day.

lol been there way too many times. “Ok if I jump right on it I should be able to get a second press done and still get home not-too-late” ~still cleaning up 14 hours later~

Escape From Noise

gently caress! I think I ruined the first beer I brewed. A valve to the glycol jacket was closed and the fermentation temperature went up to 29.5℃. Taking a sample now, it's really rough and has some bad alcohol burn. Fuuuuuuuuuuck!

cruft

I'm running another conference at the end of the month. The person I report to decided it'd be fun to run an ENTIRELY SEPARATE EVENT at the SAME TIME.

This is incredibly stressful for me, i have to do a fuckton of development to get all these gears together in a way that isn't confusing to participants.

Just finished 4 hours of extra work today, just specifying the software I have to create, and listing out and organizing all the non-coding poo poo I have to do in the next 12 days in order to pull together my staff of 40. I feel a little better now that it's all listed out. I think I can do this...

NumptyScrub

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

cruft posted:

I'm running another conference at the end of the month. The person I report to decided it'd be fun to run an ENTIRELY SEPARATE EVENT at the SAME TIME.

This is incredibly stressful for me, i have to do a fuckton of development to get all these gears together in a way that isn't confusing to participants.

Just finished 4 hours of extra work today, just specifying the software I have to create, and listing out and organizing all the non-coding poo poo I have to do in the next 12 days in order to pull together my staff of 40. I feel a little better now that it's all listed out. I think I can do this...

May I respectfully remind you: gently caress a job

Also good luck geting that all tied together on time, please do not ruin yourself just to please a dumb boss

cruft

NumptyScrub posted:

Also good luck geting that all tied together on time, please do not ruin yourself just to please a dumb boss

The boss is an idiot, but I guess I kind of view his constant stupid meddling as increasing the difficulty setting until my job is a game challenging enough to be worth playing. In this instance, it's actually spurring me to make improvements to stuff that I wouldn't have done before.

It's odd, how these ridiculous mandates actually work out to make things better. Someone focusing solely on the demands, without keeping in mind the vision of improving the events, would probably not be able to steer these things into improvements. When they make you set mission and vision statements, they're really trying to get you to focus on what really matters. But ultimately you can't make people care, it has to be something they want to do.

My conferences are a weird mix of having a corporate job but also doing customer service and genuinely caring about customers having a good experience and leaving enriched. Some days I feel like I must have a lot in common with middle management at Disney parks.

I don't know how any of this could possibly apply to anyone else's situation, but I'm sure glad I have it in mine. Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

hot cocoa on the couch

i would normally be posting itt today but i took the day off to make a 4 day weekend! hell yeah!

hot cocoa on the couch

gently caress WORK!!!!!!!!!

cruft

i would normally be posting itt today but i took the day off to make a 4 day weekend! hell yeah!

Nice ! Any big plans, or are you just gonna be unproductive (which turns out to be super important for mental well being)?

hot cocoa on the couch

i'm heading up to a cottage with some friends, looks like it's gonna rain but we're gonna bring plenty of boardgames and stuff to do so it should be a good time regardless!

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

gently caress A JOB

GET COZY IN A COTTAGE

Escape From Noise

gently caress WORK!!!!!!!!!

Mormon Nailer posted:

gently caress A JOB

GET COZY IN A COTTAGE

:hmmyes:

Escape From Noise

While this job is treating me better than my last two brewery gigs, it is really making me think about opening my own place again. Probably in a few more years.

I'm sick of getting directives and instructions from higher-ups with no beer or brewing knowledge to make beers that taste/look like some sort of soft drink or whatever. It's always so scattered. It's fine to make a wide variety of beers, especially in this era, but if you just run around chasing trends and random flights of fancy, your core product is going to suffer.

I'm going to try and meet with the big boss again on Monday and try to lay out the importance of setting and sticking to a production schedule and that if there's any special beer they want made I'm going to need at least 2 months notice, ideally 3-4. I think they'll be better than that other place I was with the insane owner, but I'm already getting instructions to brew some beer ASAP because a higher-up really wants it made.

Escape From Noise

Okay. Meeting today went pretty well. They seem understand the importance of a production schedule and I gave them a quick rundown of how to schedule out beers so that you can crop and reuse yeast (light to dark, less to more hoppy, laser to higher alcohol, and adding fruit means that yeast is done), and if they didn't totally understand, they're at least willing to listen. They just want this one beer done ASAP for some company we have some kind of agreement with. The bad news, they want a beer that tastes like this Osaka smoothie kind of thing. So I'm going to make this horrible kettle soured abomination with lactose, peach and apple, and with a bunch of late addition hops as well as dry hop during fermentation. They wanted to add banana, but I'm going to use half hefeweissen yeast for banana character and half NEIPA. It is a Frankenstein's monster of almost every trend in brewing I hate, but... whatever.

hot cocoa on the couch

gently caress sakes. i'm in the office early, before IT, and locked out of my pc because i forgot my password that i set to last week. these guys make me change it monthly and i can't use any of the past 12 (!) passwords

guess i'm sitting here with my thumb up my rear end for the next hour

:sludgepal:

hot cocoa on the couch

update:

i'm in

cruft

gently caress sakes. i'm in the office early, before IT, and locked out of my pc because i forgot my password that i set to last week. these guys make me change it monthly and i can't use any of the past 12 (!) passwords

guess i'm sitting here with my thumb up my rear end for the next hour

:sludgepal:

Hello, I am a professional cybersecurity researcher and educator! (No poo poo!)

This password policy has been shown to actually make security worse! Current NIST guidelines (800-63B) are to have users set one good password and keep it until it has been compromised.

If your IT people refuse to implement current best practice, here is a strategy you can use! Pick a good pass phrase, with four words. "Shocking nonsense" is a good guideline for something you'll remember. An example is "mullosks peck my galloping genitals", complete with spaces, if that's allowed. If they require mixed case and punctuation, add "A1!" to the end. Then, when you're required to make a new password, add one to the number.

This should be enough to get you past most stupid password changing schemes, with a strong password that's easy for you to remember and hard for computers to guess! Let me know how it goes!

Ass-penny

Honestly hcotc, wasting your time at work is important and necessary and I believe in you.

hot cocoa on the couch

rear end-penny posted:

Honestly hcotc, wasting your time at work is important and necessary and I believe in you.

thanks, in fact i even wandered into the shop and started wasting the machine builders' time chatting with them as well (they enthusiastically consented to the time wasting, i was not bothering them)

hot cocoa on the couch

cruft posted:

Hello, I am a professional cybersecurity researcher and educator! (No poo poo!)

This password policy has been shown to actually make security worse! Current NIST guidelines (800-63B) are to have users set one good password and keep it until it has been compromised.

If your IT people refuse to implement current best practice, here is a strategy you can use! Pick a good pass phrase, with four words. "Shocking nonsense" is a good guideline for something you'll remember. An example is "mullosks peck my galloping genitals", complete with spaces, if that's allowed. If they require mixed case and punctuation, add "A1!" to the end. Then, when you're required to make a new password, add one to the number.

This should be enough to get you past most stupid password changing schemes, with a strong password that's easy for you to remember and hard for computers to guess! Let me know how it goes!

lol that's actually a great idea, i'm definitely going to use that. i've been mindful to try to not write down passwords in the name of cybersecurity and stuff but yeah i was ready to just completely forego any effort because of this insane password policy

cruft

lol that's actually a great idea, i'm definitely going to use that. i've been mindful to try to not write down passwords in the name of cybersecurity and stuff but yeah i was ready to just completely forego any effort because of this insane password policy

This is the exact reason why the policy was found to make security worse.

Escape From Noise

I'm here crankin' out the recipes (I don't actually really uderstand water chemistry)

So far I've made recipes for: that awful fruit sour with lactose, an American pale ale, a really basic saison, and a biere de Noel, as well as tweaked my old Belgian dark strong recipe. Thinking I'll look at my old Belgian pale and see if that needs updating, then probably do the same with the biere de garde and biere de Mars, then maybe make a Belgian golden strong? I think it's a good base for fruit beers. I dunno. Should probably make a west coast IPA and a NEIPA recipe at some point.

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

more falafel please

forums poster

I just use the brun' water spreadsheet.

thanks Saoshyant and nesamdoom for the sigs!

cruft

Last night the New Guy called while I was watching Doctor Who.

I figured he was gonna quit, but it turns out one of our prior summer school students is dealing with sexual harassment and was wondering if we had any jobs open.

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch

it is absolutely mind boggling how many of our customers casually ask for access to our protected intellectual property. is this a common thing that works sometimes? just buy the fuckin thing and then you can reverse engineer it to your hearts content