Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Fedule posted:

From the outset it's a little ridiculous to hold two triggers and a stick and tap a face button to fire free-aimed missiles, and that's at a standstill - trying to chain grapple swings is madness. A lot of little ambiguities like sliding quickly and standing back up versus activating morph ball can ruin your day in a boss fight.

Lots of words, but I don't really understand this. You use your two thumbs and two index fingers. When you're going to be flash shifting or sliding or grappling, you aren't shooting, so use your left index finger or right thumb or right index finger. For how complex movement and shooting is, I think they knocked it out of the park with controls. Be happy you don't have to hit "-" to switch between beam, missiles, supers, and grapple beam :D

sourdough fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The controls feel really janky in a way I can't describe when precision is required (like any shinespark puzzle, it's really obvious for most what to do with the issue being "will the game recognize ZL tap to slide to up left to down or will it miss one of those" or "please stop grabbing the corner, just fall") but outside that they're perfectly fine.

e: With being underground, it's raining in at least one area so I guess not totally so

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 13, 2021

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I thought the environmental spaces were fine, especially the way you can sometimes pick out transitional blending of natural and artificial, and there's a pretty good sense of it being a recently abandoned space (most active destruction seem triggered due to Samus's presence, though there are certainly signs where things are starting to degrade). It's hurt a bit by the elevators and transports skipping most needs for continuity and for it supposedly being an almost totally underground facility it's not very invested in selling that idea - though I personally felt the E.M.M.I. zones actually help a little in that regard through their unity. They're all like maintenance areas, central rooms for keeping the outside focused on the whatever the zone is "for."

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Maybe it's because I was on a pro controller, but I never found the controls an issue. Aside from occasionally firing a middle instead of grappling, at least.

And re: Shinespark puzzles, it felt no more egregious than Fusion or ZM. In none of these three games is the Shinespark required or explained fully. I remember in the GBA games needing a guide for a couple of the puzzles in each game. Granted, I was a preteen/teenager when they came out but still

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Just got 100% items (at least in A-H, I think that is it) and got to where I imagine is just before the final boss, where I’ll pick up tomorrow after work. Great game, and I’m excited to play the boss everyone is talking about and to read the spoilers.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Playing this on joy-cons seems like a miserable experience

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

holding two triggers and pushing a button is something we've been doing for four metroids now

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't understand how pushing triggers with your index fingers impedes moving, jumping, or shooting with your thumbs. It's not like you have to hit multiple weird face buttons at once which would actually be awkward.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

RBA Starblade posted:

I do it just fine. What's the problem?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
finished a little under 11hrs with 74% items. boy that final boss battle, as soon as you thought you had it down hey there's a new phase lol

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
For people who are having issues with the controls is it mostly a broader accessibility issue?

Because I really don't get how using two triggers, a stick and a single button with your other thumb is a huge control issue that makes the game hard to use? Like that is fewer buttons than most twin stick shooters or action games are making you press at any given time and you can literally just hold down the trigger buttons.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

Detached joycons are my favorite for everything including Dread

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I'm just glad that I never have to cycle through power ups like in Super ever again

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Man, the controls are really throwing me off. Nothing feels quite as responsive, and I keep finding myself getting frustrated because Samus won't crouch when I want her to, or fire in the right direction, etc. I'm not sure if it's the joycons or my muscle memory from Super Metroid that's loving me over here (maybe both?).

Aside from that, the game is pretty and it feels good to have a 2d Metroid again.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Someone please link the video of the guy playing this game with his mouth cause he's handicapped.

Bunch of soft arses in here

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Goddamn, fighting experiment z on hard mode without the space jump or storm missiles is brutal

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

RBA Starblade posted:

Playing this anything on joy-cons seems like a miserable experience

:same:

Augus posted:

Goddamn, fighting experiment z on hard mode without the space jump or storm missiles is brutal

:stonk:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Lemming posted:

Detached joycons are my favorite for everything including Dread

Perfect ergonomic gaming position: one arm resting on the leg, the other draped over the back of the chair.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The one thing that makes it reasonable is that You can do a trick with the ballspark to get the screw attack right before the fight, which can be used to knock out his hands during his regen phase. if they didn’t let you do that skip doing the fight like this would just be grueling.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Bruceski posted:

Perfect ergonomic gaming position: one arm resting on the leg, the other draped over the back of the chair.

I need to learn this skill, I cant use the joycons because I have to navigate the right stick with the base of my thumb so I can hit the buttons with my thumb itself. It's so hard to do anything precise with it besides like picross, I've always just used the hori split pad since the thumbstick is off to the left

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Oh, you've got to be loving kidding me

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Blaziken386 posted:

:laffo:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Regy Rusty posted:

I don't understand how pushing triggers with your index fingers impedes moving, jumping, or shooting with your thumbs. It's not like you have to hit multiple weird face buttons at once which would actually be awkward.

Pushing one of the triggers impedes movement completely actually :v:

Jokes aside I think my problem with what the stick is doing is in how the game queues inputs or maybe how it doesn't, it's unwieldy but fine unless trying to bounce all over the place with the shinespark.

Barreft posted:

Someone please link the video of the guy playing this game with his mouth cause he's handicapped.

Bunch of soft arses in here

That's not how accessibility works

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Oct 13, 2021

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Zore posted:

For people who are having issues with the controls is it mostly a broader accessibility issue?

Because I really don't get how using two triggers, a stick and a single button with your other thumb is a huge control issue that makes the game hard to use? Like that is fewer buttons than most twin stick shooters or action games are making you press at any given time and you can literally just hold down the trigger buttons.

I dunno; it just does.

It's been three days and my wrist still hurts.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Killed the last EMMI, game still good

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Blaziken386 posted:

Well, on the bright side, I've learned that cutscenes don't count toward time at all
on the less bright side...

:negative:
i literally can't kill the final boss any faster

GoldenJoe
Aug 9, 2006
I think it's pretty funny they give you a missile upgrade pretty far into the game that requires you to hold Rb pretty much all combat in exchange for not hammering the Y button constantly, only to then throw in some boss QTEs where you have to hammer the attack button anyway.

Edit- I just remembered you get the Storm rockets before getting Space Jump. I'm convinced Storm rockets exist purely to reduce thumb strain.

GoldenJoe fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Oct 13, 2021

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Augus posted:

The one thing that makes it reasonable is that You can do a trick with the ballspark to get the screw attack right before the fight, which can be used to knock out his hands during his regen phase. if they didn’t let you do that skip doing the fight like this would just be grueling.

I did that fight without the stuff mentioned in your spoilers, it was tough, but I oddly didn't find it to be too bad? Like, I had certainly learned the fight at that point, so maybe I just got lucky with the patterns or something. The healing hands were a pain to deal with, but I could get 2 or 3 of them off if I was quick. I think it's just super important to get the parries.

Also worth noting, another option is to use the wind phase to get a shine spark, then use that against the boss. But it feels pretty tricky to land since the boss goes in and out of invulnerabillity depending on the moves they're using.

Early Crossbombs was a doozy until I watched a guide which used flash shift to go over the boss to just get completely clear of the explosions.

E: Multiple trigger holds weren't particularly uncomfortable for me (although after a bunch of last boss attempts my hands were hurting) - what usually happened is I'd get a little mixed up on what I needed to be holding occasionally, particularly when aiming and grappling was involved.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
You can beat the cross bomb boss fast by charging shinesparks in the room before each of it's phases spawns, and ramming their weak points.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What's the latest item you can get the earliest at this point?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I think it's gravity suit or screw attack.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
The last boss was cool

Edit:
10:31:17 with 77%

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Ok I'm stumped on this one, in part by probably not understanding shinespark mechanics that well.

Not pictured two bomb blocks in a row off to the right on the same level as the floor I'm standing on. I don't know how you carry a shinespark from the bomb blocks all the way over to here, I lose it even with flash shifting all the way over.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

chumbler posted:

Ok I'm stumped on this one, in part by probably not understanding shinespark mechanics that well.

Not pictured two bomb blocks in a row off to the right on the same level as the floor I'm standing on. I don't know how you carry a shinespark from the bomb blocks all the way over to here, I lose it even with flash shifting all the way over.

Are you using the crossbomb to get rid of the bomb blocks faster? It's still tight timing, but totally doable as long as your storing the charge close to the blocks.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

TaurusOxford posted:

Are you using the crossbomb to get rid of the bomb blocks faster? It's still tight timing, but totally doable as long as your storing the charge close to the blocks.

I do not have those, so I'll have to search them out. Thanks.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gonkish posted:

Man, the controls are really throwing me off. Nothing feels quite as responsive, and I keep finding myself getting frustrated because Samus won't crouch when I want her to, or fire in the right direction, etc. I'm not sure if it's the joycons or my muscle memory from Super Metroid that's loving me over here (maybe both?).

Aside from that, the game is pretty and it feels good to have a 2d Metroid again.
are you playing on a TV without game mode on or something because if there's one thing that can be said for Dread's controls it's that they are responsive

it's the snappiest Samus has ever been

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

chumbler posted:

I do not have those, so I'll have to search them out. Thanks.

It's also possible without those (I've seen video proof), but you have to make ample use of flash shift to get in before running out of the shine spark

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Your Computer posted:

are you playing on a TV without game mode on or something because if there's one thing that can be said for Dread's controls it's that they are responsive

it's the snappiest Samus has ever been

Eh. Ever since I got the multiple double jump thingy I can't jump off walls anymore. Even hitting the button while still going up.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

CainFortea posted:

Eh. Ever since I got the multiple double jump thingy I can't jump off walls anymore. Even hitting the button while still going up.

Why would you want to wall jump if you can space jump? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

TaurusOxford posted:

Why would you want to wall jump if you can space jump? :v:

wall jumping is cooler