Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
HTC's been teasing out something new the past few days, and they're announcing what looks to be another HMD called the Vive Flow on October 14th at 11am EDT with a livestream. RoadToVR.com reckons it's a light-and-casual low-power consumer headset that just uses hand-tracking for input to play basic gaming and experiences. Pretty much a new iteration of the old Oculus Go/Samsung Gear style of VR by the sounds of it, though I'm not exactly sure what market they'd be hoping to chase if the Oculus Quest 2's just going to immediately outclass it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

lol it better cost $100

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

It's HTC, so can't see it being anything less than $600.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rectus posted:

It's HTC, so can't see it being anything less than $600.

Nah; They'll make a big song and dance about it being the easy way into VR at the cheapest price point possible, and then reveal a $500USD price.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.roadtovr.com/lone-echo-2-review-oculus-rift-quest/

https://uploadvr.com/lone-echo-2-review/

https://www.shacknews.com/article/127071/lone-echo-2-review-continuing-conundrums-of-space-time

https://www.realovirtual.com/articulos/5885/lone-echo-ii-analisis - (Spanish, 9/10)

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 12, 2021

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

I just want a wireless headset that isn't Oculus. I currently try to do workouts with a group in VRChat and I'm so tired of getting tangled in the cable when we go from standing to floor exercises.

Second to that I really really want face tracking because I hate the gesture system that VRChat uses. I can't reliably trigger gestures because my hand is too small for the index controllers.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

HTC's been teasing out something new the past few days, and they're announcing what looks to be another HMD called the Vive Flow on October 14th at 11am EDT with a livestream. RoadToVR.com reckons it's a light-and-casual low-power consumer headset that just uses hand-tracking for input to play basic gaming and experiences. Pretty much a new iteration of the old Oculus Go/Samsung Gear style of VR by the sounds of it, though I'm not exactly sure what market they'd be hoping to chase if the Oculus Quest 2's just going to immediately outclass it.

I don't think the quest 2's hand tracking is good enough to rely on as the primary input and I will be very surprised if HTC has managed to do it better

Syves
Dec 10, 2007
50% Entertainment By Volume. Guaranteed!
Pillbug
My VR Ears came today. they feel like they are made out of brittle plastic... so not a great first impression. but we'll see how they are once I mount them onto my quest 1 when (ugh, IF) I get a chance tonight.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lacrosse posted:

I just want a wireless headset that isn't Oculus. I currently try to do workouts with a group in VRChat and I'm so tired of getting tangled in the cable when we go from standing to floor exercises.

Second to that I really really want face tracking because I hate the gesture system that VRChat uses. I can't reliably trigger gestures because my hand is too small for the index controllers.

Sounds like you need a vive pro + Wireless + face tracker thing.

Just aint cheap. Solid setup though.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

EbolaIvory posted:

Sounds like you need a vive pro + Wireless + face tracker thing.

Just aint cheap. Solid setup though.

I know about the Vive Pro but I'd prefer something newer than 2018.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lacrosse posted:

Vive pro 2/eye

But yeah i feel ya.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lacrosse posted:

The Vive Pro's are legit one of the best general-use headsets on the market, and still worth your time considering. They're relatively lightweight with decent sound, and pretty much your only option if you have a broad IPD :v:.

Syves posted:

My VR Ears came today. they feel like they are made out of brittle plastic... so not a great first impression. but we'll see how they are once I mount them onto my quest 1 when (ugh, IF) I get a chance tonight.

Mine are still coming in the mail :negative:.

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Vive Pro's are legit one of the best general-use headsets on the market, and still worth your time considering. They're relatively lightweight with decent sound, and pretty much your only option if you have a broad IPD :v:.

I'd consider it if I didn't already own an OG Vive and an Index, lmao. I also had a problem wearing the original Vive because it was so heavy my neck felt like I sprained it every time I whipped my head around too fast, but you say the pro is lighter so maybe that wouldn't have been an issue. The color black is way nicer on the Vive than the Index though, which was a huge bummer to me when I upgraded.

I'm hoping the decagear isn't vaporware but I'm not feeling confident it's a real piece of hardware.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lacrosse posted:

I'd consider it if I didn't already own an OG Vive and an Index, lmao. I also had a problem wearing the original Vive because it was so heavy my neck felt like I sprained it every time I whipped my head around too fast, but you say the pro is lighter so maybe that wouldn't have been an issue. The color black is way nicer on the Vive than the Index though, which was a huge bummer to me when I upgraded.

I'm hoping the decagear isn't vaporware but I'm not feeling confident it's a real piece of hardware.

My neck got a bit sore using the Vive + DAS for prolonged periods even with it fitted properly, but the Vive Pro's like half the weight and you hardly feel it there.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I've never had neck pain using the OG Vive, but it's so front heavy I'd sometimes feel my face hurting after long play times, especially where it rested on my cheeks and down to my upper jaw. I've seen people make counterweights for this thing, and I can understand why.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/1448058069779423233?s=21

New HTC thing leaks.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nah; They'll make a big song and dance about it being the easy way into VR at the cheapest price point possible, and then reveal a $500USD price.

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/1448090431401693191

mutata fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Oct 13, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Like all Vive products since the Vive Pro, almost certainly dead on arrival. Also big fan of how bad the photoshop work is on some of those pics.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Yeah, their last announce also had abysmal photoshop stock photos. Lots of folks online wondering about controllers and battery and if it's even 6dof. To be fair to HTC, these are leaks and not a full announce, so I guess we'll see.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I dunno I think they may have a hit on their hands, this game where you wave your phone over your head looks pretty fun

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

:lol:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HTC betting hard on their entry into the already crowded industrial eye protection market

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Tip posted:

I dunno I think they may have a hit on their hands, this game where you wave your phone over your head looks pretty fun

Lots of speculation on Twitter that your smartphone will act as a/the controller...

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

mutata posted:

Lots of speculation on Twitter that your smartphone will act as a/the controller...

Explicitly stated on one of the slides

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Also big news is that Magic Leap apparently is not dead like a doornail :stare: https://www.roadtovr.com/magic-leap-2-specs-release-date-500-million-investment/

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

mutata posted:

yeah, and it's an idiotic idea

even the cheap controller the oculus go came with is going to be a better experience than pairing your phone to a headset to use it as a controller

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Explicitly stated on one of the slides

Oh whoops lol

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The Eyes Have It posted:

Also big news is that Magic Leap apparently is not dead like a doornail :stare: https://www.roadtovr.com/magic-leap-2-specs-release-date-500-million-investment/

I respect the grift if nothing else.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tip posted:

yeah, and it's an idiotic idea

even the cheap controller the oculus go came with is going to be a better experience than pairing your phone to a headset to use it as a controller

Dismayed when you broke your $100 VR controller by dropping, throwing, or hitting it into a wall, because it wasn't expensive enough? Have we got a product for you

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

HTC betting hard on their entry into the already crowded industrial eye protection market

I'm trying to guess how this could be dumber, and I want to say... hmm...

*Puts the envelope to his forehead*

What is... a limited selection of compatible phones, that doesn't include the most common models in use?

Also I'm not sure how "This does something the Quest can do, but more expensive and needs a phone" is a winning consumer strategy.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I like how it doesn't have a real strap so it will probably be very uncomfortable and fall off your head if you doing anything more active than a meditation app

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Another one who coincidentally does a VR presentation on October, just before Facebook:
https://uploadvr.com/pimax-frontier-2021/
(Oct 20th)

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

If you are interested in buying Lone Echo 2, and you have 1 (and really, you shouldn't play it without having played LE 1), it's a bit cheaper in the bundle
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/2953440614986081/

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Oct 13, 2021

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Turin Turambar posted:

If you are interested in buying Lone Echo 2, and you have one (and really, you shouldn't play it without having played LE 1), it's a bit cheaper in the bundle
https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/2953440614986081/

:wow:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Ahaha I actually cackled

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

LOL

For me it's:

(remember our taxes are included on the price)

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Oct 13, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The sticker potential of the Flow IS good

edit: I'm reading some rumors on Reddit. They say:

-very high res Oled screens
-but only 70º fov
-no controller, use your smartphone as controller
-attached by cable to battery/soc. In exchange the headset will be very light.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Oct 13, 2021

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Tip posted:

I don't think the quest 2's hand tracking is good enough to rely on as the primary input and I will be very surprised if HTC has managed to do it better

I tried the hand tracking out again yesterday and was surprised to find that it was basically flawless. If you really shake your hands around then it gets lost, so it isn't ready for shooters or anything, but for general navigation and stuff they genuinely seen to have cracked it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Here you can see the content slide, it's indeed Quest stuff.
https://twitter.com/GAMERTAGVR/status/1448181840725020672/photo/4

The earring removal is pretty bizarre (click on the tweet and see replies)