Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

6.5 is the reference to caliber it fires, 6.5mm Creedmoor. A high ballistic coefficient bullet that has a slower drop over distance, flatter trajectory overall compared to 7.62 nato. Frequently used in long range precision competitions and gradually taking over the police/mil marksmen/snipers units.

It's a great round if you want to shoot steel plates a kilometer away.

More like 6.5cm dick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm sure they'll put that on the murderbot too.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2021/11/slack-office-trouble/620173/

quote:

But even if you don’t use Slack, or something like it, you live and work in the world Slack helped create. It’s a world where openness and transparency are prized; where work is something we are always kind of doing; where who we are at the office and who we are outside it are closer than ever before; where all of these dynamics mean that sometimes things go very wrong, especially for people in power.

im sorry, what?
i just wasnt expecint a fluff piece for slack to take this angle

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Slack is the Myspace of chat.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
slack is the panopticon of work

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

i am harry posted:

should have left it all in what would they do sue you?

presumably hypothetically whoever bought the rights at firesale could sue. and the game company would have no reason whatsoever to include advertising anyway (ie, they're not compensated for it)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Honest Thief posted:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2021/11/slack-office-trouble/620173/

im sorry, what?
i just wasnt expecint a fluff piece for slack to take this angle

i dunno i skimmed the first several paragraphs and the article seems to say that slack is a trojan horse for bosses because it lets workers talk to one another about shared grievances and organize. the leading anecdote is about african coders working for some temp agency that contracts its coders to western firms organizing among themselves on the temp agency's slack because they were being paid far less than what the temp agency claimed to the press they were

obviously slack has built-in protection against employees using it to communicate without the boss knowing by eg letting admins see private messages if they pay for the premium tier subscription and know where to look, but if the boss is lazy or not savvy enough it can still happen

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 16:17 on Oct 12, 2021

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

i dunno i skimmed the first several paragraphs and the article seems to say that slack is a trojan horse for bosses because it lets workers talk to one another about shared grievances and organize. the leading anecdote is about african coders working for some temp agency that contracts its coders to western firms organizing among themselves on the temp agency's slack because they were being paid far less than what the temp agency claimed to the press they were

obviously slack has built-in protection against employees using it to communicate without the boss knowing by eg letting admins see private messages if they pay for the premium tier subscription and know where to look, but if the boss is lazy or not savvy enough it can still happen

It's that specific framing, esp on the first couple paragraphs before going on about how integrated into office life slack is, that got me weirded out. Telling high praises for the software under the guise of.. I dunno democratising work communication or whatever

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Honest Thief posted:

It's that specific framing, esp on the first couple paragraphs before going on about how integrated into office life slack is, that got me weirded out. Telling high praises for the software under the guise of.. I dunno democratising work communication or whatever

selling tech or business practices under wokeness branding is In

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
cant wait to get murked by a cutesy doggo drone during a skirmish in the Cascadia-Mountain West Water War of 2033

maybe they can start making different "breeds" ie small stout corgis, big hulking great danes, everyday all around golden retrivers, etc

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

tokin opposition posted:

More like 6.5cm dick

Attaching truck nuts to my murder bot so I can T Bag my kills.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

bag em and tag em posted:

Attaching truck nuts to my murder bot so I can T Bag my kills.

fully equipped and ready for action

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

lol

lmao

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

uber_stoat posted:

fully equipped and ready for action

The rat things are good boys and while that is obviously a rendition of one, it's not a great one for accuracy imo

The artist was too busy drawing the genitals I would imagine

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this is cute :3:
https://twitter.com/ryosuzk/status/1447670500642021377

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020
i watched a product video for work of a chinese soft robotic gripper tool. it featured pneumatic bladder fingers picking up a live crab, then showed the crab struggling within the grasp of its rubbery tentacle-like captor. it was a weird, revolting combination of soft, flexible machine and a hard living thing that thrashed mechanically.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shear Modulus posted:

every organization effort that im aware of in tech has a hard no-work-devices, signal-only rule.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
We use Microsoft teams. Which is like Slack’s lame cousin that takes himself too seriously.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Nastier Nate posted:

We use Microsoft teams. Which is like Slack’s lame cousin that takes himself too seriously.

Also suitable for places where a good chunk of the workforce has to be dragged kicking and screaming away from communicating mostly via long voicemail messages.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Lone Badger posted:

Wasn't there a french gunner who got heavy metal poisoning after drinking wine from an artillery piece?

That would make sense, since the barrel liners are made of God-knows-what. You could drink from an old bronze gun and be no worse for wear than drinking from a pewter stein, but I woudn't try it with a modern piece.

Everything in the army gives you cancer. When I got out I had to do paperwork because the melamine dishes they issued may cause stomach cancer, and I was one of about 100 people poisoned once when our water was contaminated by large amounts of diesel fuel.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 02:43 on Oct 13, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Tungsten was the culprit.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Frosted Flake posted:

That would make sense, since the barrel liners are made of God-knows-what. You could drink from an old bronze gun and be no worse for wear than drinking from a pewter stein, but I woudn't try it with a modern piece.

If he was a gunner, he probably already had heavy metal poisoning. It's a well-known occupational hazard.

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

I use teams at work and two years ago there was employee who got very mad about getting a new computer because IT wouldn’t get them one with XP. it’s basically the chat equivalent of phones with huge buttons for old people.

The Lone Badger posted:

Wasn't there a french gunner who got heavy metal poisoning after drinking wine from an artillery piece?

yeah, I’m pretty sure it was how acute tungsten poisoning was discovered

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

withak posted:

Also suitable for places where a good chunk of the workforce has to be dragged kicking and screaming away from communicating mostly via long voicemail messages.

i will never listen to a voicemail and if the voip app can't transcribe it properly well then you're just not getting a call back

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

silentsnack posted:

creepy misogynist robots do, apparently?

remember: its not the bots that are misogynist, its the people who wrote them

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

pygmy tyrant posted:

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Bloop posted:

The rat things are good boys and while that is obviously a rendition of one, it's not a great one for accuracy imo

The artist was too busy drawing the genitals I would imagine

those are some lovingly rendered dog balls fosho

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

pygmy tyrant posted:

I use teams at work and two years ago there was employee who got very mad about getting a new computer because IT wouldn’t get them one with XP. it’s basically the chat equivalent of phones with huge buttons for old people.

Every company has at least one.

One of my boomer coworkers, a year and a half into this poo poo is still the lady who constantly misses zoom meetings because “it wasn’t working”

If she had to join a teams meeting that required any more effort then clicking on an email link I assume her head would explode

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

I can't wait to be old and use that excuse

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Professor Latency posted:

Presumably because the infrastructure that makes it work will no longer exist

pygmy tyrant
Nov 25, 2005

*not a small business owner

you can use it no matter how old you are if your boss is old and tech illiterate!

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

you can use them as a young geriatric millenial, just say that your calendar didnt sync up so you didnt had the zoom meet link

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Ah yeah like anyone is gonna believe an old millenial will have computer problems when they're the generation that grew up with widespread PCs but prior to the adoption of smartphones/tablets

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Chard posted:

zapping my brain with car batteries and coils of copper wire stripped out of blackrock owned mcmansions

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Thanatosian posted:

If he was a gunner, he probably already had heavy metal poisoning. It's a well-known occupational hazard.

You would think so. I don’t know if it’s the same in the States, but VAC will fight tooth and nail against tinnitus and hearing loss claims by artillerymen.

The distinction is like you said - it’s occupational not operational, and so attributing it to service becomes a long drawn out fight.

This, in a country with UHC. I can only imagine what it’s like in the States. I’ve heard workers’ comp is even more difficult and frustrating, which is sickening.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The VA in the US is way less stringent than social security over disability. Biggest hurdle is getting access by being dumb enough to enlist.

I'm pretty sure half the vets I know have a 10% rating for tinnitus. That's like, $150/mo. Also the VA covers any treatments for life, what little their are. That 10% rating opens the doors to more benefits, from education to housing, so it's kinda standard to claim it at the end of your term of service and be approved, especially if you deployed.

Canada doesn't spend the money that the US does on veterans though, and I'm sure socialized health care is taken into account whereas lol, america, gotta make a separate tier of the lower class.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Universal VA is probably a better shot for getting healthcare than M4A at this point

Let's just admit we're a military with a country attached

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm all for everyone having the benefits my dumb vet rear end has.

The loving hoops people have to jump through to get SS disability and the pittance it pays are a disgrace.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
they're all designed to fail. at the start of covid when i got furloughed i never managed to get them to send me unemployment before they brought me back to work months later. i got on medicaid and the doctor they assigned to me was not operating a practice and was instead running an urgent care clinic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

tokin opposition posted:

Universal VA is probably a better shot for getting healthcare than M4A at this point

Let's just admit we're a military with a country attached

Thing I believe is true but cannot prove: our military isn't actually that good, we just have the most expensive boondoggle in the world. It's like our healthcare, with the difference being that the healthcare grift didn't really get rolling until the 80s or 90s, and there are actually some attempts at accountability, there; military contractors have been grifting since the 60s, and similar to piece of poo poo pig motherfuckers, any attempt at accountability is fought from top to bottom with accusations of the people who want to hold them accountable lacking patriotism or wanting the terrorists/communists to win.