Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

God drat it Thom it's been over a year since I regularly checked this thread and you have to post this when I'm starting to return?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

We have to be considerate of people who have fallen off the weetposting wagon.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Lady Demelza posted:

His fundraiser makes the point that foodbanks often need 'no cook' items, or things that can be made with a kettle or microwave only. I have volunteered in my local foodbank and know that it can be really hard to put together a decent food parcel when all you've got is a tray of beef and tomato pot noodles, a loaf of bread, and some fruit that's about to turn. Even a couple of those John West tuna pasta meals (or something similar) could have livened it up and they usually count as a portion of veg too.

And a gentle reminder that some people don't have can openers. Ring pull tins are good, donating a can opener, if you are able to, is even better.

Yes we had a discussion about that on fb somewhere recently.

People saying 'how come there's no fresh food in the food banks - well apart from some foodbanks have no way to store perishables, fresh veg needs preparation and if you're in a hostel or whatever, there's little or no food prep facilities and even if there is a fridge people often steal other peoples' stuff (source: personal experience of student / hospital accommodation!)

Also people not being able to afford to put an oven on for 2 hours to bake a spud or whatever.

And if do have a fridge/freezer but are on a prepay meter and can't get a top up for your key - as I have seen on our local town FB groups sometimes when it can take 5 days sometimes for people to find a place to top up their key particularly if they don't drive, public transport being expensive and lovely.) - then stuff will perish.

We do have a local Community Fridge too round here, they're a good idea. I've never visited ours but they seem to have a lot of good stuff sometimes: https://www.hubbub.org.uk/the-community-fridge

(That's also why most of my apocalypse staff is canned - most canned stuff can be eaten straight from the can without cooking even if it tastes a bit yucky. I have got more dried stuff in at the moment because I've also got a small gas cooker - one of those camping type things - with 8 spare bottles of butane)

One of these: https://www.millets.co.uk/15895048/campingaz-camp-bistro-2-stove-15895048/

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Oct 13, 2021

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Good news re: the lottery conversation from yesterday, I entered the lottery for the first time tonight and won.

Unsure whether to put my £4.60 into bonds as I had previously advocated or blow it all on something like fudge.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Reveilled posted:

Good news re: the lottery conversation from yesterday, I entered the lottery for the first time tonight and won.

Unsure whether to put my £4.60 into bonds as I had previously advocated or blow it all on something like fudge.

Dear Mr Reveilled
I write to you as a person in desperate need of £4.60 to invest in coffee futures.
Please please look kindly on my request.
Yours sincerely

(I had the number 13 on my sheet but no others.)

Meanwhile:

Book recommended by The JamMeister on FB:

https://www.neilfindlaybooks.com/

(I haven't read it, just sharing the link.)

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Like this is the thing, if you just want a city where luxury is yours if you have money London already exists. Singapore with cash is only better if you like themepark sterility and sweltering weather with your megarich luxury - a valid choice, but an odd one. If I had a lottery winnings I'd be in central London myself - always can go on holiday when you miss the sun.

and yea Singapore has problems with it's multiculturalism policies that are starting to show - while it's very anti-segeration in housing, they more otherise Malay and Indian cultures rather than integrate them into the Singaporian Chinese whole - which itself has been recreated from the original stock, language changing wholesale from a variety of chinese regional languages and dialects to beijing standard Mandarin.

It was a few pages back now people were talking about good places to live when stinking rich.

Vancouver is the answer. Really lovely city. Great location in a bay, temperate climate somewhat similar to the UK in that it doesn't generally get too hot or too cold for too long - there can be a bit of snow in the winter but nothing like the rest of Canada. It's generally quite left-wing - the provincial gov is NDP who are the nominally left-wing party in Canada, plus Canadians more generally are nice and friendly. Lots of outdoor sports and activities nearby including a world-class ski resort just a couple of hours drive away, nice beaches. Plus weed is legal here if that matters to you.

Only bad thing is that the house prices are absolutely mental, but if you've won the lottery that doesn't matter.

E: And you don't actually have to be *crazy* rich to live there. You can get a 5-700Sqft apartment there for like £250k equivalent, it's just that if you're looking for a place that makes you feel like a lottery winner, with a decent size (say, 2000sqft which is like a good-sized 4 or 5 bed home in the UK) and in a nice location then you're looking at £1-2m equivalent. It's certainly somewhere I'd think about moving if I had a few million quid spare.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Oct 13, 2021

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

sebzilla posted:

I'm going for the real prize of a signed copy of the illustrated Ragged Trousered Philanthropists for guessing how many cups of tea are pictured in the book.

Probably still going to be the wrong number though

Turns out I won this. Should have done the Euromillions as well.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

WhatEvil posted:

It was a few pages back now people were talking about good places to live when stinking rich.

Vancouver is the answer. Really lovely city. Great location in a bay, temperate climate somewhat similar to the UK in that it doesn't generally get too hot or too cold for too long - there can be a bit of snow in the winter but nothing like the rest of Canada. It's generally quite left-wing - the provincial gov is NDP who are the nominally left-wing party in Canada, plus Canadians more generally are nice and friendly. Lots of outdoor sports and activities nearby including a world-class ski resort just a couple of hours drive away, nice beaches. Plus weed is legal here if that matters to you.

Only bad thing is that the house prices are absolutely mental, but if you've won the lottery that doesn't matter.

E: And you don't actually have to be *crazy* rich to live there. You can get a 5-700Sqft apartment there for like £250k equivalent, it's just that if you're looking for a place that makes you feel like a lottery winner, with a decent size (say, 2000sqft which is like a good-sized 4 or 5 bed home in the UK) and in a nice location then you're looking at £1-2m equivalent. It's certainly somewhere I'd think about moving if I had a few million quid spare.

Victoria is better fyi, although house prices are also mental as all the boomers are moving here

Also the federal party in power most of the time are the liberals, which is basically what a Lib Dem government would look like (it's bad)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

sebzilla posted:

I can imagine it because it nearly happened

If anything, that makes it worse.

It makes it much worse, yes

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Lady Demelza posted:

And a gentle reminder that some people don't have can openers. Ring pull tins are good, donating a can opener, if you are able to, is even better.

Jesus, really? That just seems so essential and easy to fix. I'll pick up a bunch and drop them off at my local foodbank (they're only about £3 each!), thanks for the information!

Stuff like this is so infuriating to learn, but I'm grateful for it.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Reveilled posted:

Fudgeit! :discourse:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Tesseraction posted:

God drat it Thom it's been over a year since I regularly checked this thread and you have to post this when I'm starting to return?

It's my only relapse in a long time :(

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

TACD posted:

New Cod On The Block up in Walkley used to be very good, but I haven’t lived anywhere near it for a few years. And now I’m gluten-free I can probably never have fish and chips again :cry:

I live close to New Cod On The Block and can confirm it's still good! As is the Admiral in Crookes.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Thomas Paine can still be saved as long as he is only admiring those poo poo takes from a distance, and isn't all up in the mentions will all the other centrist dads.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

WhatEvil posted:

I liked vancouver but North American cities in general make me feel uncomfortable, idk why. I think it's the grid system and lack of any pedestrian infrastructure honestly, as well as in the USA the moderate chance of being shot anytime you leave the house. Vancouver doesn't have the last one of those but still...

Impressive landscape around the place though. The pacific northwest is pure twin peaks country and it's beautiful.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
I'll wait until the Squamish build their mega complex, then move when the city have realised it's a genius idea.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/senakw-squamish-first-nation-vancouver-rental-housing-development

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Gotta love Cummings' defence of Johnson basically being "he wasn't lying about the Brexit deal, he was just too stupid to understand it"

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Tesco report; they think it's sodding Christmas already, or they need to fill empty shelves..... i'm guessing both.

Shopping crisis of the day; had to buy Denny's instead of Docherty's black pudding. :aaaaa:

Next i have to see what the EU is for doing with the import/export regulations here in N.I. after Mr Frostys "tirade" in Lisbon yesterday.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Alarming reports today that Tories might actually be lying untrustworthy scum ???

https://twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/1448197558157852672?t=A0f0RRe8vUTEGZ_a3nbuxA&s=19

Expecting some kind of escalation from the EU negotiators this evening, if not then honestly we deserve to be completely Johnson'ed.

Also pretty funny that Cummings is trying to brief against the DExEU team from the sidelines, but Frost is just going "yep, of course we were full of poo poo"

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Just bring this country down already, stop edging me like this.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Just Another Lurker posted:

Tesco report; they think it's sodding Christmas already, or they need to fill empty shelves..... i'm guessing both.

They have the traditional tubs of Twiglets, the most redeeming feature of Christmas season.

No pretzels tho, that was a bummer.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Just Another Lurker posted:

Same at Sainsbury's and I suspect they're trying to smooth out the Christmas supply chain by stocking now and hoping people buy now in advance, to avoid a giant spike in demand later on that just can't be met

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Imagine being Irish and also being somehow surprised that a British Prime Minister is a duplicitous piece of poo poo.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Failed Imagineer posted:

Alarming reports today that Tories might actually be lying untrustworthy scum ???

https://twitter.com/lisaocarroll/status/1448197558157852672?t=A0f0RRe8vUTEGZ_a3nbuxA&s=19

Expecting some kind of escalation from the EU negotiators this evening, if not then honestly we deserve to be completely Johnson'ed.

Also pretty funny that Cummings is trying to brief against the DExEU team from the sidelines, but Frost is just going "yep, of course we were full of poo poo"

But how was Leopald to know that this British Government was untrustworthy?
I mean there was never a sign that they indicated they were prepared to abandon the norms of international law when it suited their political ambitions.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-54073836

WHO COULD HAVE FORESEEN THIS TREACHERY?

In fairness, this was a Taoiseach who wanted to do a commemoration for the Black and Tans until he was shouted down by mass outrage.
And still went and complained at how narrow minded the public were being about this.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Total Meatlove posted:

I'll wait until the Squamish build their mega complex, then move when the city have realised it's a genius idea.

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/senakw-squamish-first-nation-vancouver-rental-housing-development

Move where? This is a First Nation thing being built on First Nation land as part of a ongoing project to house the next five generations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

Imagine being Irish and also being somehow surprised that a British Prime Minister is a duplicitous piece of poo poo.

Imagine thinking he didn't already know that? Also his dad is Indian so I think he's got the "piece of poo poo" ancestral knowledge coming from every direction

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

forkboy84 posted:

They have the traditional tubs of Twiglets, the most redeeming feature of Christmas season.

No pretzels tho, that was a bummer.

So, for the next question guaranteed to divide the thread into endless conflict..

Twiglets or Cheeselets?

Personally I love them both- I’m a marmite addict, so twiglets are the perfect way to get more yeast extract into my life. However cheeselets are just so goddamn moreish. I can and will demolish an entire tub over an evening if left unsupervised.

Also rectangular cheeselets > Tree shaped xmas ones.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2021/1013/1253373-brexit/

quote:

Diplomats say the proposals will result in a massive reduction in checks and controls on goods, especially agri food products, and wholesale simplifications in customs formalities on goods moving from GB to Northern Ireland.

There will be a special category of so-called identity foods. Essentially, chilled meats, including sausages and traditional pies, will be exempt from checks, but there will still be labelling requirements.
Identity.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

keep punching joe posted:

I get the impression that it's a performative thing, like you have to say "I am shocked and appalled, who could've believed such a thing would've happened?!" even though everyone knew it was coming, because you have to pretend like there was always basic good faith involved.

Like an Emperor's New Clothes thing, except the Emperor is the norms of international relations, or something?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lol @ "identity foods".

I identify as a attack helicopter traditional steak'n'kidney pie

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Move where? This is a First Nation thing being built on First Nation land as part of a ongoing project to house the next five generations.

Some of those units are going to be made available outside of the First Nations afaik.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

My wife and I discovered this clip a few weeks ago and god drat, I could imagine it being a Truss speech so easily

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4OaWee8bxs

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Total Meatlove posted:

Some of those units are going to be made available outside of the First Nations afaik.

Nope, literally the last thing they want is white people fighting over subsidised First Nation housing on First Nation land* - what it is is if they can’t find enough Senakw then it will be opened up to other Squamish Nation and then the wider First Nation.

*I have a First Nation friend who went absolutely batshit the other day over this.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Never heard of or eaten "Cheeselets".

Twiglets taste like the poo poo and nasty bits they scrape off the bottom of the Marmite vat and then leave to go stale for 18 months.

And I like Marmite.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

Nope, literally the last thing they want is white people fighting over subsidised First Nation housing on First Nation land* - what it is is if they can’t find enough Senakw then it will be opened up to other Squamish Nation and then the wider First Nation.

*I have a First Nation friend who went absolutely batshit the other day over this.

That's awesome. I hope it works to prove that the zoning requirements are hosed and opens up opportunity for other developments that mirror it in that case.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/SocietyGuardian/status/1448157690107097091

e: lol

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Oct 13, 2021

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Camrath posted:

So, for the next question guaranteed to divide the thread into endless conflict..

Twiglets or Cheeselets?

Personally I love them both- I’m a marmite addict, so twiglets are the perfect way to get more yeast extract into my life. However cheeselets are just so goddamn moreish. I can and will demolish an entire tub over an evening if left unsupervised.

I have no idea what Cheeselets are, sorry.

Also despite loving Twiglets I do not like Marmite. I realise this makes no real sense but there it is.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

My wife and I discovered this clip a few weeks ago and god drat, I could imagine it being a Truss speech so easily

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4OaWee8bxs

And the Brussels correspondent for the telegraph published this as fact ten years later. Wonder what happened to him?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1448196811160760322

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Camrath posted:

Twiglets or Cheeselets?

Got to go with cheeselets here, although I'm a big fan of a bunch of twiglets crammed into a tuna mayo sandwich.

Unrelated, does anyone use Audible? I'd like to get into audiobooks as my hands are a nightmare and I can't hold a book/kindle for long. They have a monthly subscription service that gets you one free book per month but the "Plus Catalogue" you have access to looks kinda limited.