Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Deketh posted:

Got to go with cheeselets here, although I'm a big fan of a bunch of twiglets crammed into a tuna mayo sandwich.

Unrelated, does anyone use Audible? I'd like to get into audiobooks as my hands are a nightmare and I can't hold a book/kindle for long. They have a monthly subscription service that gets you one free book per month but the "Plus Catalogue" you have access to looks kinda limited.

The monthly subscription is a book a month. It works out great if you cancel it now and then and catch up. I make the mistake of keeping it running and not listening to everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Dead Goon posted:

Never heard of or eaten "Cheeselets".

Twiglets taste like the poo poo and nasty bits they scrape off the bottom of the Marmite vat and then leave to go stale for 18 months.

And I like Marmite.

You beat me to it, Twiglets are made by feeding Marmite to flatulent people and having them fart over the production line letting the flavour gently waft over it all.

"Waft" is my favourite word of the day.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

learnincurve posted:

Nope, literally the last thing they want is white people fighting over subsidised First Nation housing on First Nation land* - what it is is if they can’t find enough Senakw then it will be opened up to other Squamish Nation and then the wider First Nation.

*I have a First Nation friend who went absolutely batshit the other day over this.

I thought I was having a stroke when I saw road signs for Skwxwu7mesh on the Sea to Sky highway.

(Also thought Vancouver was OK, not great, to visit. Maybe it's better if you live there)

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

jiggerypokery posted:

The monthly subscription is a book a month. It works out great if you cancel it now and then and catch up. I make the mistake of keeping it running and not listening to everything

Thanks for your thoughts. I just wonder if one book per month wouldn't be enough for me, I know they have other stuff but it's a limited catalogue after your free book credit. Although I suppose you're effectively just buying an audiobook for £8 which isn't bad looking at the usual prices.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Deketh posted:

Unrelated, does anyone use Audible?

I don't, sorry, as I don't take in information through my ears very well, but just wanted to make sure you'd heard of Librivox, which is free.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Deketh posted:

Got to go with cheeselets here, although I'm a big fan of a bunch of twiglets crammed into a tuna mayo sandwich.

Unrelated, does anyone use Audible? I'd like to get into audiobooks as my hands are a nightmare and I can't hold a book/kindle for long. They have a monthly subscription service that gets you one free book per month but the "Plus Catalogue" you have access to looks kinda limited.

Yeh for years and years ama :). Basically I don’t watch TV at all and audiobooks are on my noise cancelling headphones about 8 hours a day, maybe more.

It’s a commitment so do the trial first but the very best value for money is the 24 credit annual.

The second best option is the two credits a month, and you can then buy three credits at a massive discount whenever you want.

They have daily deals which range from £1.99 -£2.99 and pretty much weekly there are sales and 2 for 1 deal sales.

The plus catalogue is a huge improvement on what they had before which was just free podcasts, they got some gems hidden in there like four of the cadfeal mysteries and all the Ellery Queen.

It becomes all about the narrator and some series you would never think of reading become your favourites.

Yes the obvious choice to blow your credits on is the discworld but here are some of the gems

The moonstone with this exact narration: https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/The-Mo...PGG4YCP5M9YHD5K

The legend that is the Peabody series: https://www.audible.co.uk/series/Am...K7715R77PMRNDB6

Comfort food for the soul, first one of three; https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/The-Af...2QGTQXKJBPCAYYQ

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Best thing to come out of North Korea since, well all the people that escaped I suppose.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

"How's Starmer doing?"
"Well, badly."

I dunno why I found that funny, might be because I am not a native speaker, I guess we find certain things funny that native speakers don't.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

His Divine Shadow posted:

"How's Starmer doing?"
"Well, badly."

I dunno why I found that funny, might be because I am not a native speaker, I guess we find certain things funny that native speakers don't.

Nah I had the same thought and I nominally speak English as a first language. I think the key is to have an appreciation of extremely dumb wordplay

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

Oh dear me posted:

I don't, sorry, as I don't take in information through my ears very well, but just wanted to make sure you'd heard of Librivox, which is free.

Sweet, thanks! I'll be checking out Librivox for sure.

learnincurve posted:

Yeh for years and years ama :). Basically I don’t watch TV at all and audiobooks are on my noise cancelling headphones about 8 hours a day, maybe more.

It’s a commitment so do the trial first but the very best value for money is the 24 credit annual.

The second best option is the two credits a month, and you can then buy three credits at a massive discount whenever you want.

They have daily deals which range from £1.99 -£2.99 and pretty much weekly there are sales and 2 for 1 deal sales.

The plus catalogue is a huge improvement on what they had before which was just free podcasts, they got some gems hidden in there like four of the cadfeal mysteries and all the Ellery Queen.

It becomes all about the narrator and some series you would never think of reading become your favourites.

Yes the obvious choice to blow your credits on is the discworld but here are some of the gems

The moonstone with this exact narration: https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/The-Mo...PGG4YCP5M9YHD5K

The legend that is the Peabody series: https://www.audible.co.uk/series/Am...K7715R77PMRNDB6

Comfort food for the soul, first one of three; https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/The-Af...2QGTQXKJBPCAYYQ

Amazing, thank you. I've gone with the trial, didn't realise you could do those other packages but they sound good too. Will see how it goes and whether the plus catalogue works for me before committing any money to it though.

Thanks again friends

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Deketh posted:

Sweet, thanks! I'll be checking out Librivox for sure.

Amazing, thank you. I've gone with the trial, didn't realise you could do those other packages but they sound good too. Will see how it goes and whether the plus catalogue works for me before committing any money to it though.

Thanks again friends

Check out Steven Fry’s podcasts on the Victorians and Edwardians as well while you have access to them :)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

"How's Starmer doing?"
"Well, badly."

Failed Imagineer posted:

Nah I had the same thought and I nominally speak English as a first language. I think the key is to have an appreciation of extremely dumb wordplay

Also if you're a 90s kid and from around London (and maybe elsewhere? I dunno, it was before the internet) then "well badly" as well

He got done wewl badly
I want to go to see that wewl badly
etc

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

learnincurve posted:

Check out Steven Fry’s podcasts on the Victorians and Edwardians as well while you have access to them :)

Will do! Wanted to get his Mythos audiobook too.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i'm not a huge audiobook fan but i took advantage of the trial a while back and snagged fry narrating holmes, based in part on the fact that it was hugely long.

great to fall asleep to lol. not that it's boring so much as calming.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/CharlesCrossLPP/status/1447956442468732930

The Plymouth Herald article showed a photo of some of the intercepted packages.

It was nice to write this, especially considering that it was Charles Cross police officers who arrested me for cannabis crimes back in the day.

https://twitter.com/stuwyatt/status/1448267776272044033

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

The new adaptation of The Sandman on Audible is absolutely excellent. James McAvoy, Michael Sheen, Arthur Darvill, Taron Egerton, Andy Serkis - they really have pulled the stops out.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Hello friends, I'm looking for some info on measuring the levels of moist and damp and poo poo (well, watery poo poo) in walls and ceilings and whatnot, with the goal of trying to predict whether a given apartment is currently a mold-infested shithole or about to become one in the (relatively) near future. Is this kind of measurement possible to do by yourself? I know nothing of anything at all, but might be able to buy some fantasy gadget to measure the wetness, if a reliable one exists.

For example, here are some such devices (sorry about quality of link): https://www.humitec.fi/exotek/

Leaving aside the whole potential issue of importing gadgets from Germany or wherever during Brexit, is it realistic to dream of a device which you could just kinda tap onto a wall/ceiling/whatever, i.e. a structure made of wood (or maybe brick/concrete/something if possible), and measure the water content/humidity/moisture/something inside the structure?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

"How's Starmer doing?"
"Well, badly."

"Well badly" would also serve

(Well can also be slang for very)

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The Audible annual deal is especially good value if you want newly release books. It's basically £4.60 to get stuff that's only otherwise available as a £20 hardback.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006

jaete posted:

Hello friends, I'm looking for some info on measuring the levels of moist and damp and poo poo (well, watery poo poo) in walls and ceilings and whatnot, with the goal of trying to predict whether a given apartment is currently a mold-infested shithole or about to become one in the (relatively) near future. Is this kind of measurement possible to do by yourself? I know nothing of anything at all, but might be able to buy some fantasy gadget to measure the wetness, if a reliable one exists.

For example, here are some such devices (sorry about quality of link): https://www.humitec.fi/exotek/

Leaving aside the whole potential issue of importing gadgets from Germany or wherever during Brexit, is it realistic to dream of a device which you could just kinda tap onto a wall/ceiling/whatever, i.e. a structure made of wood (or maybe brick/concrete/something if possible), and measure the water content/humidity/moisture/something inside the structure?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tramex-ME5-Moisture-Encounter-5/dp/B07YDYTYPT/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=tramex+me5&qid=1614604271&sr=8-3
Tramex do some very good moisture meters, we have used them at work when assessing buildings for retrofit. They are very expensive but are good for different materials. There are tons of cheaper options out there but I can't speak for whether they are decent or not, and plenty will come with pins for insertion into bare timber but that's a bit invasive for viewings. I think you'd have to be fairly thorough and you'd have to do a little research on moisture levels to understand what your readings were telling you, but it's feasible.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I would say to people to write stuff they want down *before* they pick a subscription, if it’s a list 12 long then, honestly, long term you want to be looking at getting one of the credits packages because a monthly £7.99 x 12 is £95.98 when 12 credits is £69.99, and 24 is £109.99.

Yeh I know it’s a big initial outlay but if it’s your main entertainment then that’s less than a TV licence or netflix.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

jaete posted:

Yeah that's just a moisture meter, you can get them at Screwfix:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/di-log-dl7108-digital-humidity-meter/9325k

You can get cheaper ones off Amazon, it's really only a Wheatstone bridge so you could even knock one up yourself out of off-the-shelf components for a tenner - the more expensive ones will be much more reliable and repeatable.

The thing is that if they're not used correctly - or with knowledge of what you're actually looking for - they can be pretty deceptive, as you'll get wildly different readings depending on what the surface and underlying structure is, and also you'll need to know what that structure is because gyprock needs to be dry as a bone but traditional plaster can be pretty damp with no issues, and you'll get varying results depending on time of day, weather, etc.

The way they *should* be used is those prongs get poked straight through the surface dressing to the underlying surface (because as I say you can have pretty damp plaster and it's fine, but if the wood under it is as damp as that then that might be a concern, and if concrete is that damp you're hosed - or at least have some fun and expensive times in your future). However as this is destructive most people just lightly press them into the wall and instead test multiple places - most damp conditions are patchy so taking a load of samples is a good idea, wide variance on an identical wall is a bad sign. This can also help you work out if the damp is coming up from the foundations, down from the roof, from a leaky pipe in the wall, or is just condensation caused by poor ventilation.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Sigh, been working from home just fine for 7 months now. My team who started 3 and 2 months ago respectively have been doing the same.

Next week we have to start going into the office, one of the other higher ups had the advice of “working from home, if you want it, just have the conversation with our CEO, he’s a reasonable guy” and maybe that worked for him cause he’s known the guy for years.

For me and my team I suggested a couple pretty reasonable potential options like hotdesking, with each of us rotating equally and such but just got a straight “nah” to all of them.

So next week I can look forward to spending £300ish a month and 6/7 hours a week commuting to do the same job. Really wish everything wasn’t on fire right now or I’d potentially just jack it in tbh but that feels like a really stupid decision so I probably won’t.

Can’t wait to experience some of this “greater cohesion, better workflow and comradeship” that’ll make it worth it I’m sure.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Oct 13, 2021

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Red Oktober posted:

The new adaptation of The Sandman on Audible is absolutely excellent. James McAvoy, Michael Sheen, Arthur Darvill, Taron Egerton, Andy Serkis - they really have pulled the stops out.

I keep meaning to get round to that - I have it on offer for free with my Amazon Prime. Act II is out now as well, covering Season of Mists and A Game of You.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

peanut- posted:

The Audible annual deal is especially good value if you want newly release books. It's basically £4.60 to get stuff that's only otherwise available as a £20 hardback.

I recognise that number

Reveilled posted:

Good news re: the lottery conversation from yesterday, I entered the lottery for the first time tonight and won.

Unsure whether to put my £4.60 into bonds as I had previously advocated or blow it all on something like fudge.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I won £2.90 on last night's lottery. I managed to gamble that up to £10.90 by buying online scratch cards, and I now have 2 tickets each for the next 2 Euromillions draws.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

thebardyspoon posted:

So next week I can look forward to spending £300ish a month and 6/7 hours a week commuting to do the same job. Really wish everything wasn’t on fire right now or I’d potentially just jack it in tbh but that feels like a really stupid decision so I probably won’t.

Job market is also on fire right now though - I've never seen it so competitive. Now is not a bad time to be looking.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Red Oktober posted:

Job market is also on fire right now though - I've never seen it so competitive. Now is not a bad time to be looking.

Yeah maybe don't just up and leave but there are a lot of open vacancies out there atm, and finding work is probably easier now than it has been for a long while.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/NewsForAllUK/status/1448207779668316160

https://twitter.com/NewsForAllUK/status/1448215184170962948

https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1448240517469331460

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Oct 13, 2021

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

a mother!!!!!!

how DARE they!!!!!!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

loving lol. GBNews just happens to be there capturing it all.

I'm 100% sure Insulate Britain is a black op to remove our right to protest.

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1448203143049789442

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

fuctifino posted:

loving lol. GBNews just happens to be there capturing it all.

I'm 100% sure Insulate Britain is a black op to remove our right to protest.

https://twitter.com/GBNEWS/status/1448203143049789442

I think there's serious odds on it. ER had their moments but these guys seem designed from the ground up to do the dumbest most counterproductive things. Coincidental that no-one had even heard of these guys a month or two ago, like they just appeared out of thin air.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Do the Tories even need to manufacture consent to bring in anti-protest laws, surely their base of bootlicking gammons love that already?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They picked a cause where it's easier to say "the government should fulfill their promises and insulate housing" than "the government should implement unworkable laws to ban all protest" though.

Gambled and won I guess, because arsehole ham island still went with the latter.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
This is 100% correct

https://twitter.com/joelgolby/status/1448236264977833986?s=20

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

What do they want? Insulation in housing?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
When I first heard there's a protest group called "insulate Britain" I immediately assumed it was anti immigration, because that's the kind of oval office that seems to make up most of the British population

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

fuctifino posted:

https://twitter.com/CharlesCrossLPP/status/1447956442468732930

The Plymouth Herald article showed a photo of some of the intercepted packages.

It was nice to write this, especially considering that it was Charles Cross police officers who arrested me for cannabis crimes back in the day.

https://twitter.com/stuwyatt/status/1448267776272044033

lol lamentably poo poo stealth on those packages, shameful

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Communist Thoughts posted:

sort of

wiki posted:

Insulate Britain is an environmental activist group, formed by people involved in the global environmental movement Extinction Rebellion. The group began hosting both online and in-person events in July 2021, also raising money for direct action.

Founded with the aim of ensuring insulation across Britain, the group laid out two specific demands for its September 2021 protests. The first is that the British government fund insulation of all social housing by 2025, and the second is that, by the end of 2021, the government must create a plan to fund retrofitting of insulation of all homes in Britain by 2030. Insulate Britain created a Parliament petition for the first demand. According to The Guardian, the group's demands are in line with consensus among climate scientists and policy experts that home insulation—including when retrofitted—is an environmental priority, saves money to occupants and is beneficial to the economy.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

When I first heard there's a protest group called "insulate Britain" I immediately assumed it was anti immigration, because that's the kind of oval office that seems to make up most of the British population

same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Communist Thoughts posted:

Yer our housing stock is absolutely shite