Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Oh hey I didn't realize there was a balance patch on Monday. Might have to log in again, it's been a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

mostly good changes in it, even

and right after my buddy and i bitched about how badly ETC has been left behind lately, ETC gets huge-rear end buffs

loling at the Absolutely Nothing nerf to Brightwing though

Issakhar
Sep 10, 2009

Random vent: I HATE playing against Falstad's W build as melee...retreat, nope!..punish him and dive him, nope!

I started playing again and I hate that I love this dead game, might even finish my ranked quest for the mount haha.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

falstad is one of those characters that is going to be doing the same thing no matter what so you're going to want to take the talents that do the most with the least investment

turns out that means W build

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

stolen from reddit

dont do unranked kids

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Sometimes ARAM goes your way real hard.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I might have missed some patch notes, but holy poo poo jar of spiders hits like a dump-truck.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Mesadoram posted:

I might have missed some patch notes, but holy poo poo jar of spiders hits like a dump-truck.

yeah nazeebo got some updates not too long ago. he is now newzeebo, and he is very powerful

spider build has three major power spikes:

level 1 quest completion, which increases spider damage by 25% and spider duration by 1 second
level 7 adds a spider and adds another if the jar only hits one person
level 16 adds cooldown reduction per spider attack

also if he took the quest there's a slow on the jar

basically spider build exists to punish low-mobility characters and/or be an absolute siege machine

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Kith posted:

yeah nazeebo got some updates not too long ago. he is now newzeebo, and he is very powerful

spider build has three major power spikes:

level 1 quest completion, which increases spider damage by 25% and spider duration by 1 second
level 7 adds a spider and adds another if the jar only hits one person
level 16 adds cooldown reduction per spider attack

also if he took the quest there's a slow on the jar

basically spider build exists to punish low-mobility characters and/or be an absolute siege machine

Seriously. They had a hammer on their team when I realized it, that poor bastard took a beating of a life time.

WITCHCRAFT
Aug 28, 2007

Berries That Burn

Mesadoram posted:

Seriously. They had a hammer on their team when I realized it, that poor bastard took a beating of a life time.

A good hammer will use concussive blast (W) when you get a zombie ring on them. It will push the zombies apart and then hammer can zoop out of there with neosteel plating (E) or siege thrusters (Z) as needed.

I love when you wall in a hammer and they only use the thrusters and you get to watch them spin in circles at max speed inside the zombie ring while they die.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014
I love playing Naz and was very happy with his buff. The spiders are so much better now, toads are a lot better, blood ritual got a nice buff, and the 20 talents are really interesting.

Playing against Hammer is wonderful, Deathwing is the same story. When he winds up to cast Molten Flame or is about to land, pop a zombie wall around him and go to town.

Issakhar
Sep 10, 2009

I think Naz is my highest level / most played hero because he's my Zen hero when losing streaks super tilt me and I need to just chill, push lanes for days and get satisfying ding stacks.

Samuro is probably my second Zen / most played hero, mainly because he's a no-fun-jerk, his playstyle reminds me a lot to rat Dota, like if Antimage or Juggernaut had access to Manta at level 1 and you can punish most HoTS players with mindless guerilla pushing strats, especially teams stacked with no wave clear.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

stolen from reddit:

where to start

where to stop

Issakhar
Sep 10, 2009

I swear it feels like I've been on the red side more times than blue.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
When I’m on blue I often find myself mildly surprised the game is ending at 9:00, then check the scoreboard and that solves it.

When I’m on red I check the clock every 10 seconds hoping the enemy team can win before 7:00 because it’s already 18-0 at 5:00.

e: vvv last week I got to duo mephisto with a friend in ARAM and we won by taking the reset level 20 and dragging out the game till we managed a couple of triple+ kills with smart ults. It was the perfect level of playable and saucy.

Chakan fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 15, 2021

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Went up against an ARAM team with 4 Mephistos not long ago. We ended up winning, but they all took Consume Souls and every time it was off cooldown they would all use it at once and team wipe us with no real potential for counter play.

Bodacious
Jul 29, 2010

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Went up against an ARAM team with 4 Mephistos not long ago. We ended up winning, but they all took Consume Souls and every time it was off cooldown they would all use it at once and team wipe us with no real potential for counter play.

This is really why I wish they would remove multi picks in ARAM. There is way too much potential for broken stuff like this that just make games unfun start to finish, win or lose. Can't counter insane stuff like multi mephs / li mings and at the other end of spectrum, people go full troll mode with multiple murky and match is just over before it starts.

Actually, the devs putting any attention at all to ARAM would be a godsend at this point, it's the only mode worth playing right now imo.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I wish ARAM gave each team the same choices. It sucks to have no actual damage options, and they have Valla/Zul'jin/Li-Ming plus tank/healer.

Or heck, just do "All 10 Murkys/Novas/Stitches" every once in a while

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

I dunno, ARAM being the non-serious "mash your hosed up teams into each other until someone wins" mode is kind of why I like it. If I want to worry about double soaking and proper merc timings and stuff like that I'll play the real game, reducing things down to a single lane inherently means that character balance is going to be thrown out the window.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I want to play ARAM but instead of choosing from 3 random heroes it's choosing between a random tank/bruiser, a random assassin, or a random support/healer

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I dunno, ARAM being the non-serious "mash your hosed up teams into each other until someone wins" mode is kind of why I like it.

Solvent posted:

I loving love that about this terrible game I've blown over 5k games in.

Nothing is sacred, everything is permitted.

FungiCap
Jul 23, 2007

Let's all just calm down and put on our thinking caps.
My ARAM games tend to be more balanced than quick match these days because quick match is almost exclusively just 5v5 assassins now with such a low player count.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I dunno, ARAM being the non-serious "mash your hosed up teams into each other until someone wins" mode is kind of why I like it.

this can also be quickmatch if you have enough friends :getin:

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I’m sure everybody knows this, but if you message someone after an ARAM loss to tell them they suck, you’re the loser.

I picked Stukov because our team had no healing, we lost bad and some of my teammates decided it was because my healing stat was low. It’s not worth arguing so I just move on, and during my next queue someone sent me a “your winrate with one of the best healers is 40%, you’re dogshit” which is hilarious, but what are you gonna do?

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
So, I've been forever stuck as a QuickMatch Hero. For some reason, I just can't seem to break out of that comfortable shell and at least try some ranked play. I might not even be that bad! (I probably am tbh)

So, uh - what is ARAM? Is that the weird mode where it's just the single-lane map and you're given a semi-random choice of characters to pick from?

And, if I want to give Ranked a try as a solo babby with no friends who would play this game ranked with me, where do I start? I think what always holds me back is that I'm only comfortable with maybe a half-dozen or so heroes - maybe more, I dunno - but I guess I'm always afraid that it's going to end up that it'll come down to me being the final pick and needing to fill a critical role and either the couple healers or couple tanks I'm reasonably comfortable with won't be available and I'll ruin Christmas for everyone.

I mean, I generally know the maps and when to show up to the teamfights and try (not always successfully) to not overextend so I sorta know what I'm doing, but I'm wondering if it's just not good enough :ohdear:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

ARAM is exactly that, yeah - one lane, choice of 3 heroes for the entire team. It's also where 90% (or more!) of the playerbase lives now.

As for ranked, you'll be given some Placement Matches and then assigned a league using a reasonable guess based on your Quickmatch MMR and how your Placement Matches went. If you're familiar with QM and most basic map strategies, you'll likely end up in Gold at least.

Having to deal with filling for what the team needs is just the "Playing Ranked" tax. It's something you're going to have to get used to no matter what. My recommendation is to figure out 2 or 3 characters that you're comfortable with from each role before heading into Ranked, just to be safe - getting screwed into a role that you don't know how to play well can really sour the experience for everyone involved.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Chakan posted:

I’m sure everybody knows this, but if you message someone after an ARAM loss to tell them they suck, you’re the loser.

I picked Stukov because our team had no healing, we lost bad and some of my teammates decided it was because my healing stat was low. It’s not worth arguing so I just move on, and during my next queue someone sent me a “your winrate with one of the best healers is 40%, you’re dogshit” which is hilarious, but what are you gonna do?

I think my favorite part about those people is that they'll also immediately put you on ignore 9 times out of 10, for fear that you'll talk poo poo back to them.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Kith posted:

ARAM is exactly that, yeah - one lane, choice of 3 heroes for the entire team. It's also where 90% (or more!) of the playerbase lives now.

As for ranked, you'll be given some Placement Matches and then assigned a league using a reasonable guess based on your Quickmatch MMR and how your Placement Matches went. If you're familiar with QM and most basic map strategies, you'll likely end up in Gold at least.

Having to deal with filling for what the team needs is just the "Playing Ranked" tax. It's something you're going to have to get used to no matter what. My recommendation is to figure out 2 or 3 characters that you're comfortable with from each role before heading into Ranked, just to be safe - getting screwed into a role that you don't know how to play well can really sour the experience for everyone involved.

How hard do I have to worry about "meta" picks? Is there anyone (aside from maybe Cho'gall) that is actually considered throwing at the character select screen?

I just came back to the game this week; perhaps I should focus on knocking the rust off/laying out a build for 3 tanks / 3 healers then just follow my heart on the rest of 'em, I guess!

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

cmdrk posted:

I think my favorite part about those people is that they'll also immediately put you on ignore 9 times out of 10, for fear that you'll talk poo poo back to them.

Yeah, it doesn’t make any sense to me why they would bother but who knows what darkness lies in the hearts of gamers. The very next game had a 3-stack berate me for playing Azmodan poorly and I got MVP even though we lost. I think it’s nearly impossible to not get MVP as azmo in aram, he’s just so strong.

I’ve stopped playing for a while though, to see what happens with mgmt at acti-blizz. It’s fine, not like I’m going to have time in december anyway.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Zarin posted:

How hard do I have to worry about "meta" picks? Is there anyone (aside from maybe Cho'gall) that is actually considered throwing at the character select screen?

I just came back to the game this week; perhaps I should focus on knocking the rust off/laying out a build for 3 tanks / 3 healers then just follow my heart on the rest of 'em, I guess!

Generally whatever you pick is considered throwing

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Zarin posted:

gently caress if I know, I haven't played Ranked in like two years. Pull up HOTSlogs and see who's got the highest winrate, those are probably the meta picks of the hour.

You should definitely focus on playing characters you're familiar with, though. Better to play someone that clicks with you but is "non-meta" than to play someone you don't feel comfortable with for the sake of the "meta".

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
If anything just scan meta picks if you are chosen to do bans. Or just ban anduin and garrosh like me because positioning seems especially punishing in gold/silver.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

When can you actually find a ranked match in this game? Seems like we get stuck in matchmaking for half an hour.

Bodacious
Jul 29, 2010
You should be able to find games once the ranked season resets in the next few days and the new season starts. PTR just went up today.

https://news.blizzard.com/en-us/heroes-of-the-storm/23748175/heroes-of-the-storm-ptr-patch-notes-november-30-2021

Reworked rehgar gets cleanse baseline now

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
making the fountain invulnerable and buffing the forts and keeps sucks if they aren’t gonna bring back ammo

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
wow I had no idea the one intern left on HOTS was going to keep patching it. bravo

the probius changes look interesting! I guess I'll try a.. er.. Q build with him now?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
So they say his win rates are fine, then buff the crap out of him? I've seen this story before...

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

check out this album of all the new skins

a truly shocking amount of effort went into this update

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
They FINALLY do a teal raynor skin??? incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

once again, a highly requested feature and a fairly easy win took multiple years to implement for ??? reasons