Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

PhazonLink posted:

Do people even remember that a three year old human child was involved?

If the kid had died they would

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
We don't even know if the child had a name, but we know that Harambe had a name. It was Harambe. By virtue of that fact, Harambe is a more important character in this story.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Humans?

Are you talking about “hairless bipedal harambes”?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Child should have had a better social media campaign

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also "dicks out for human children" is definitely not a good slogan.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

OwlFancier posted:

Just one of many failed NAMBLA meme slogans, condemned to an imprint on a forgotten white board, because its owner is in prison

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

OwlFancier posted:

pretty sure this is the mod forum’s subtitle

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Platystemon posted:

:vince:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Chicago alderman doing an epic thumbs down to...a memorial for a 13-year-old that got killed by cops
https://twitter.com/RLopez15thWard/status/1448092675081703433?t=5x5GepVcIao7JKY6W_DAmw&s=19

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Those faces are the mark of the beast

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

OwlFancier posted:

Platystemon posted:

:lol: :classiclol: :vince:

Holy god drat poo poo

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Chicago alderman doing an epic thumbs down to...a memorial for a 13-year-old that got killed by cops
https://twitter.com/RLopez15thWard/status/1448092675081703433?t=5x5GepVcIao7JKY6W_DAmw&s=19
But ... why?

I suppose I could understand his CHUD mindset displeasure if the tribute to the dead kid shot by cops was implying that policemen are anything other than brave heroes protecting us all.

But it looks like a celebration of a 13 year olds life. So this alderman is thumb downing an innocent 13 year old kid.

A child who was shot to death ny police.

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

BrigadierSensible posted:

But ... why?

I suppose I could understand his CHUD mindset displeasure if the tribute to the dead kid shot by cops was implying that policemen are anything other than brave heroes protecting us all.

But it looks like a celebration of a 13 year olds life. So this alderman is thumb downing an innocent 13 year old kid.

I clicked the link and it's because the kid was apparently a gang member, cause you know those 13 year old gang members are so threating.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
A friend of mine blocked me on Facebook when I said that the cop shouldn't have shot that kid, saying I wouldn't understand why it's right that the kid died because I don't have kids.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mohawk Potato posted:

I clicked the link and it's because the kid was apparently a gang member, cause you know those 13 year old gang members are so threating.

He did the most threatening thing of all: running from the cop.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

BrigadierSensible posted:

But ... why?

It is, and he's going through and liking every reply that is also celebrating child death

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

grittyreboot posted:

I never understood why mutants are treated as persecuted outcasts for their powers while Captain America or the Fantastic Four are celebrities

I'm pretty sure it's canon that Reed Richards anticipated this and got out in front with branding and marketing.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Captain America also had some pretty good propaganda marketing behind him

basically, someone heroic like a soldier or an astronaut getting dosed with superpowers is palatable to the public, but the poor and/or uneducated being randomly born with powers is ripe for mass hysteria

edit: also presentation--Iron Man, Cap, and the Fantastic Four are up front in colorful costumes, but mutants could be aaanyone, even your own neighbors. My god even your children we gotta do somethin about this

Lunatic Sledge has a new favorite as of 07:08 on Oct 13, 2021

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Captain America also had some pretty good propaganda marketing behind him

basically, someone heroic like a soldier or an astronaut getting dosed with superpowers is palatable to the public, but the poor and/or uneducated being randomly born with powers is ripe for mass hysteria

edit: also presentation--Iron Man, Cap, and the Fantastic Four are up front in colorful costumes, but mutants could be aaanyone, even your own neighbors. My god even your children we gotta do somethin about this

I've always put a a good bit of it down to mutants like Cyclops and Rogue, with powers that can and will hurt people accidentally. Just today, my nephew accidentally knocked my glasses off of my head with an errant swing of a nerf sword. Something similar happens to Cyclops and he could kill people.

This adds an element of fear to mutants that doesn't exist with Cap and Iron Man. Sure, they're perfectly capable of hurting you but they have to actively do something to hurt you. Miss a shot in a fight, gently caress up with a science project, whatever. It still generally requires them to take an action that has a certain amount of danger to it. There's an element of "teenage mutant might accidentally create a tiny black hole in the grocery store while I'm getting milk and eggs" to mutants that doesn't really exist with Cap or Spiderman or the like.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Now I understand why some people are against abortions, the cops won't have any kids to shoot if the dockters kill them when they're featuses!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Khizan posted:

I've always put a a good bit of it down to mutants like Cyclops and Rogue, with powers that can and will hurt people accidentally. Just today, my nephew accidentally knocked my glasses off of my head with an errant swing of a nerf sword. Something similar happens to Cyclops and he could kill people.

This adds an element of fear to mutants that doesn't exist with Cap and Iron Man. Sure, they're perfectly capable of hurting you but they have to actively do something to hurt you. Miss a shot in a fight, gently caress up with a science project, whatever. It still generally requires them to take an action that has a certain amount of danger to it. There's an element of "teenage mutant might accidentally create a tiny black hole in the grocery store while I'm getting milk and eggs" to mutants that doesn't really exist with Cap or Spiderman or the like.

This gets explored every once in a while in the comics - sometimes in pretty unpleasant ways.

Untimate X-Men may have had the darkest take on the idea.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Platystemon posted:

Can we not?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://twitter.com/KimboBleh/status/1447962716178690054?s=20

Needs a Stan Kelly in the corner

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

This rules

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I wish my TV wore combat boots.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Tube TV with bunny ears?

The reference is so out of date it almost communicates the bad old days when television promoted the gender binary even more than it does today.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Baron von Eevl posted:

Be the change you wish to see in your front room!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Platystemon posted:

Tube TV with bunny ears?
Is there any more fitting indicator that these cartoonists never moved on from the past?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Baron von Eevl posted:

Wasn't Kurt Russell in that?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Tube TV with bunny ears?

The reference is so out of date it almost communicates the bad old days when television promoted the gender binary even more than it does today.

It’s making girls wear jeans. This comic has to be from like 1962.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
So the tv robot is beaming cool rainbows into their brains and giving the kids free clothes, whats the problem now?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Where's the sickos and lady liberty?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/catholiccom/status/1447572446727507980

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Well, which Catholics are we going to believe? These Catholics, or the Catholic knights who brought him back to Spain in chains?

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
The great respect, friendship and unintended enslavement of... immediately kidnapping 6 people into slavery the day you land, announcing the natives will make great servants, genociding the Taino, then writing about how this is a good thing in your journal.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

We say so that's why

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Columbus was a real jerk.

E: when I was a kid I had the Goofy Columbus album and it ended with them sailing off the edge of the flat earth. Would've been better, all around.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 16:00 on Oct 13, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

grittyreboot posted:

I never understood why mutants are treated as persecuted outcasts for their powers while Captain America or the Fantastic Four are celebrities

I'm told that it's canon that in the Soviet Union prejudice against mutants was almost nonexistent.

Like Colossus could just stroll around Leningrad with iron skin and no one would care but if he did the same in an American city people would probably try, and fail, to lynch him.