Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

mlmp08 posted:

That is one hell of an inflammatory stretch.

The sad thing is, judging from some of the people I've encountered, it really isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The sad thing is, judging from some of the people I've encountered, it really isn't.

Doesn’t C-Spam have an entire thread to just straight up pretending nothing bad is happening to Uighurs and others?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

Hey, just cage it as jingoistic America First isolationism. Know your audience!

Honestly, yeah. It's possible imo to persuade trumpers that US foreign policy is bad as long as you frame it in purely self interested logic and avoid liberal trigger words. Which is still an improvement!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Doesn’t C-Spam have an entire thread to just straight up pretending nothing bad is happening to Uighurs and others?

the reflexive "against america therefore must be good" thing comes up across the board

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Best Friends posted:

The United States helped create this crisis and is doing nothing to stop this from happening right now and absolutely no one who says the (utterly meaningless) word "Tankie" gives the slightest poo poo.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Famine_in_Yemen_(2016–present)

If anyone has deep sympathy in their heart for Muslim minorities being genocided by autocratic regimes, there is at least some good news: the government of the country you actually live in is a million times easier to persuade to stop enabling this than it is to convince the government of China to do anything.

Now I'll sit back, confident that all this great concern for Muslim minorities being genocided will absolutely surely result in so much as a phone call to a variety of forum poster representatives, demanding we stop all support for Saudi Arabia and demanding an end to the blockade of Yemen. In fact, doing so would be a great way to own "the tankies" (anyone to your left who says something you find alienating)

I do in fact care about more than one thing at a time. It’s wild, you should try it.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Ascribing to anyone and everyone the example of worst possible argument made by the worst folks you know is inflammatory nonsense and a shortcut to avoid a real discussion.

A lot of people mad about Uyghurs don’t give a single gently caress about them, they just hate China and are natuonalist Americans or other Westerners, but if I by rote ascribed that motivation to anyone arguing for the wellbeing of Uyghurs, I would be spouting inflammatory bullshit.

It’s also easy to just declare that someone has only one motivation without evidence.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

mlmp08 posted:

Ascribing to anyone and everyone the example of worst possible argument made by the worst folks you know

Show me where I actually did this, instead of merely pointing out that there are in fact really terrible people who do make the worst possible argument.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Show me where I actually did this, instead of merely pointing out that there are in fact really terrible people who do make the worst possible argument.

I didn’t say you did that. I said it was inflammatory for Internet Wizard to say that Up the Bum was posting that he is totally fine with China committing genocide.

I do disagree with saying that guilt by similarity with the worst takes is a valid excuse for assuming the worst of views you disagree with.

IW is doing the lazy thing of accusing someone else of only caring about one topic while he wisely cares about lots of topics. He has zero evidence that Up the Bum doesn’t care about China’s actions.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
https://twitter.com/TeenVogue/status/1448281121305894920

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

mlmp08 posted:

I didn’t say you did that. I said it was inflammatory for Internet Wizard to say that Up the Bum was posting that he is totally fine with China committing genocide.

I do disagree with saying that guilt by similarity with the worst takes is a valid excuse for assuming the worst of views you disagree with.

IW is doing the lazy thing of accusing someone else of only caring about one topic while he wisely cares about lots of topics. He has zero evidence that Up the Bum doesn’t care about China’s actions.

Playing whataboutism with atrocities only serves to minimize the problems and enable the perpetrator. Whether that was the intent or not is immaterial when the effect is providing an argument in favor of the actions of the perpetrator. It’s the same thing as people playing whataboutism with cop murders or Proud Boy violence.

“China is committing cultural genocide”-“what about Yemen/the Native Americans”

“Cops kill too many black folk”-“what about black on black crime”

“Proud boys are violent terrorists who murder people”-“what about the time Richard Spencer got punched”

Internet Wizard fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 13, 2021

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
In current events news: Social Security is getting its largest increase since the 80’s. 5.9%. An average of $92 a month for social security recipients.

VA benefits are supposedly getting a nice increase soon too, but I can’t find any non chud sources for that.

Inflation is happening in earnest, and it will eat up most if not all of these increases so really: :sigh:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Internet Wizard posted:

Playing whataboutism with atrocities only serves to minimize the problems and enable the perpetrator. Whether that was the intent or not is immaterial when the effect is providing an argument in favor of the actions of the perpetrator. It’s the same thing as people playing whataboutism with cop murders or Proud Boy violence.

“Proud boys are violent terrorists who murder people”-“what about the time Richard Spencer got punched”

Good to know we should never address the problems of American imperialism and hegemony because that distracts from other authoritarians

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, and to pay for this increase the social security taxable income is going from $142,800 to $147,000.

So sayeth the wall street journal.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

McNally I kindly request that the thread title be changed to "Tankies, Sailors, Soldiers, Sigh"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Internet Wizard posted:

What about latin americans? The "cultural genocide" thats happening is, according to Adrian Zenz, providing modern healthcare and teaching Chinese. If Hanification is cultural genocide the US is actively performing a lot of it right now.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
For the love of god I’m grasping at straws with the social security stuff, I admit, but can we just not post about posting? It never works out well in this thread.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I'm completely comfortable saying China does a lot of terrible things. Their environmental policy is disastrous, their human rights record is bad, and they are oppressing Muslims in Western China.

We have done far more harm to Muslims than China, and those things we've done have been cheered by the exact same political and media figures who are currently pretending they care about Muslims in Western China. There's whataboutism, and then there's guys in "I loving love it when governments kill Muslims" t shirts acting shocked and appalled at China mistreating Muslims.

It's obviously not genuine concern for Muslim human rights driving this campaign, so it must be something else. It sure seems like that something else is saber rattling.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Shatner landed safely. World collectively groans.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Best Friends posted:

I'm completely comfortable saying China does a lot of terrible things. Their environmental policy is disastrous, their human rights record is bad, and they are oppressing Muslims in Western China.

We have done far more harm to Muslims than China, and those things we've done have been cheered by the exact same political and media figures who are currently pretending they care about Muslims in Western China. There's whataboutism, and then there's guys in "I loving love it when governments kill Muslims" t shirts acting shocked and appalled at China mistreating Muslims.

It's obviously not genuine concern for Muslim human rights driving this campaign, so it must be something else. It sure seems like that something else is saber rattling.

:same:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Best Friends posted:

And with that we are moving on now.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Good to know we should never address the problems of American imperialism and hegemony because that distracts from other authoritarians

This is the weirdest mental stretch to get that from the quoted thing. Here's your gold medal.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

In real important news, Smash Mouth has broken up after 27 years after the frontman told a fan "I will loving kill your family I swear to god" from the stage.

He still has not eaten the eggs.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

shame on an IGA posted:

In real important news, Smash Mouth has broken up after 27 years after the frontman told a fan "I will loving kill your family I swear to god" from the stage.

He still has not eaten the eggs.

Wasn't there an entire story about the time they got him to eat eggs?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Edit: didn’t F5 in time.

Internet Wizard posted:

Those are examples of the most plainly obvious domestic US policy troll talking points. Your response examples are bad actors, to be sure, but that does not mean the response on any topic is inherently what aboutism to be ignored.

It really is a bit different when discussing areas you can directly take action versus issues where you largely cannot. A state/local coal CEO (or policy maker on coal) does not get to rail about a foreign country’s coal all day then use “ah, but what aboutism” to shut up his detractors for his own coal company tearing off mountain tops in his home state.

Lots of much more nuanced conversations could be derided as what aboutism if you label anything that might potentially appear as “what about” as rhetorically the same (low) value.

Here are examples of using the what about frame to unfairly diminish real discussions:

“murder is disproportionately affecting the poor and minorities and largely being perpetrated with handguns.” What about lawful self defense uses?

“We should get our neighbors to waste less household food ” What about industrial level carbon usage and pollution driven by our city, state, and national policies?

The above are examples of where there is a very real conversation and discussion of complex issues, but it can be convenient to deride whichever side opens their mouth second in a conversation as the “what about” crowd.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
What about good posts

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I found a good post

Jock Jazz

How Wonderful! posted:

*the hometown boys are running onto the court, taking their hype lap... everybody is cheering, the tunes are getting everybody's blood up... it's loving Hoop Dreams in here... all the fans are wearing turtle necks and taking careful notes... its Pharoah Monk's seminal 1970 recording "Deaf Dumb Blind (Summun Bukmun Umyun)" and all the hot jocks down on court are also pulling out huge cushions and sitting down on the court... joining hands to smoke that sweet bud together and just soak in the music... the vibe is impeccable.... my eyes are closed, I'm on a journey with the boys... the ultimate tailgate.... now the ref is taking off his belt and viciously beating the away team for being pricks and trying to score baskets and dribble the ball while everybody else is just vibing... come on boys get into the flow with us.... put the basketball down and put your consciousness up....*

bengy81
May 8, 2010

CainFortea posted:

They did a show for the City of Ft. Collins a few years back, and some vendor was giving out free bread, which resulted in smash man getting pelted with bread. I'll see if I can find a video link, but it's one of my most favorite smashmouth related events.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

CainFortea posted:

Via SAClopedia:

quote:

Posted by Haifisch on October 10, 2011

For the full story of Mr. Mouth not eating the eggs, go here: [url=http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3423233&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1[/url]

Abbreviated version:
-DocEvil wants Smash Mouth to eat eggs.
-Smash Mouth agrees to eat 24 eggs if people donate $10,000 to St Jude's children's hospital.
-People raise $10,000 for sick children.
-Mr. Mouth is oddly quiet for a while, leading people to wonder whether or not he'll eat the eggs.
-Some goon records themselves eating 24 eggs. This is great, but Smush Mouth still needs to eat the eggs.
-Goons get enraged at the lack of egg eating, and go on a campaign to publicly shame Mouth Smash.
-Egg Mouth announces that Guy Fieri will be cooking the eggs. Goons are displeased since having a lovely chef cook the eggs goes against the spirit of the challenge.
-Egg Mouth finally settles on a date for egg eating: October 10th. Goons are pleased.
-The 10th rolls in and Guy Fieri is such a terrible cook that there was somehow a duck fetus in one of the eggs. Shameful Mouth only eats a few bites of egg, while some guy named Rick eats a whole bunch of them, and a vegetarian finishes the eggs off. Mr. Mouth officially becomes both a lame, mostly forgotten "muscian" and a poor sport.
-Goons actually contemplate taking away money they donated to a children's hospital because Smash Mouth strung them along that long and didn't actually eat 24 eggs.
-Apparently the eggs were spicy, but this is still no excuse for Smash Mouth not eating 24 of them. It is, however, his fault for having Guy Fieri prepare them.
-No Real Pattern posts a trip report of the egg shame.

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Oct 13, 2021

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

boop the snoot posted:

What about good posts

I've never seen one.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

boop the snoot posted:

What about good posts

lol

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

boop the snoot posted:

What about good posts

Well there was that time some goon was going to walk across America for Depression...or something, and got like 5 miles in and quit.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Oddly, I think smash mouf eat da eggsgsg was around the time I started to soften on Guy Fieri. I still don't care for his schtick, but he actually does a good amount of charity with his personality, and I can't find fault in that.

Fire hose of ranch, please.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Oddly, I think smash mouf eat da eggsgsg was around the time I started to soften on Guy Fieri. I still don't care for his schtick, but he actually does a good amount of charity with his personality, and I can't find fault in that.

Too bad he ruined a lot of that goodwill with complaints about workers getting unemployment during the ongoing pandemic

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I love that menu

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

It's loving amazing that they got Guy to cook the eggs

A man who FAMOUSLY hates everything to do with eggs. Hates eating them, hates smelling them, hates cooking them.

Guy is good.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Expect this to become the latest talking point in the pro-insurrectionist Chud camp, which has been alleging that January 6th defendants are "political prisoners" facing unduly harsh conditions.

quote:

U.S. District Judge Royce C. Lamberth of Washington acted after finding jail officials failed to turn over information needed to approve surgery recommended four months ago for a Jan. 6 Capitol riot defendant’s broken wrist.

The defendant, Christopher Worrell, is an accused Florida Proud Boys member charged with four felonies, including rioting and spraying pepper gel at police at a critical point leading to the initial Capitol breach.

The failure of D.C. officials to turn over medical records is “more than just inept and bureaucratic jostling of papers,” Lamberth said in a hearing, raising the possibility of deliberate mistreatment.

“I find that the civil rights of the defendant have been abused. I don’t know if it’s because he’s a January 6th defendant or not, but I find this matter should be referred to the attorney general of the United States for a civil rights investigation into whether the D.C. Department of Corrections is violating the civil rights of January 6th defendants ... in this and maybe other cases.”

To be clear, there is absolutely no excuse for a prisoner- no matter how odious of a crime they've committed or alleged to have been committed- to receive a delay in medical care. But you can sure as poo poo expect the Madison Cawthorns and such to be trumpeting this one from the rooftops.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sounds like normal treatment for US jails and prisons, maybe treating conservatives the same way as everyone else will get things changed a bit?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hobbesmaster posted:

Sounds like normal treatment for US jails and prisons, maybe treating conservatives the same way as everyone else will get things changed a bit?

"Conservatives? Listen Friend those people are Antifa plants." "Just let it go gangrene and ask him if Bernie is going to help him now."-GODBLESSTRUMP69 right before he dies choking on horse splooge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

hobbesmaster posted:

Oh ye of little faith