Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

odiv posted:

Speaking of other card games tangentially related to Magic, the card game Sam Black did some work for (is working for? idk) was announced. It's a DC comics digital card game.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/dc-dual-force-is-a-new-digital-card-game-that-lets-you-play-your-favorite-comics/1100-6496945/ (autoplaying video)

I didn't see anything there about crypto nonsense or NFTs, so that's a positive at least? Sam was giving a few details on his stream. Says it's similar to EDH, but with two "Leaders" on each side that start in play and that they have life totals, but you do not. He can't say too much obviously.

The focus on PvE stuff sounds cool. I'm a homer for Superman so I'll check this out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Lone Goat posted:

Was hoping this week's Resleevables pod was going to make it all the way through without talking about the set, but alas.

It was so good, i love stories like that

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv
that card looks like barfed up dog craps

kalvanoo
Apr 29, 2018

look at this lil perv

mcmagic posted:

Because you have to either play the turns deck or white/green aggro and it's boring.

Bx treasure midrange is fun and pretty competitive against both decks maybe try that

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

triple sulk posted:

I was gonna post about it before framed as "if you're mad about Secret Lair existing, check this out" but people paid a thousand dollars for this:

I feel like the fact the card literally has the word “loser” printed on it on the art is a good summary of anyone who actually tries to unironically play it

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

kalvanoo posted:

Bx treasure midrange is fun and pretty competitive against both decks maybe try that

Yeah I'm an absolute scrub who only plays jank edh but intbetween Historic Brawl matches I'm rocking rakdos treasures and having a good time.

I'd play it in real life if the four goldspan dragons didn't cost 200 bux. Rest of the fuckin deck is like 20 bux

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Grevlek posted:

Yeah I'm an absolute scrub who only plays jank edh but intbetween Historic Brawl matches I'm rocking rakdos treasures and having a good time.

I'd play it in real life if the four goldspan dragons didn't cost 200 bux. Rest of the fuckin deck is like 20 bux

Read thread title, become ungovernable

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

kalvanoo posted:

that card looks like barfed up dog craps

You're a loving poet and I love This bc where is the lie? "Draw Rudy but more like a pudgy hobbit"

This is your friendly reminder that if you think you are going to be in on the scam but you don't know exactly the mark is going to be, it's you!

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004

Koirhor posted:

Read thread title, become ungovernable

Yeah I feel that. We have a couple people at the lgs who proxy they whole commander decks, so I'm not gonna feel so bad about tossing Serra's Sanctum in my 4/10 Hanna enchantments deck

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

fadam posted:

If you step on a bear trap when it's hidden under leaves or is baited with delicious honey/picnic baskets you need to survive, you were taken advantage of and I think society should be structured in a way where we don't allow that to happen.

If you step on a bear trap in the middle of a clearing while the trapper is pointing at it going "I put this bear trap here, if you step in it it's going to snap on your leg" and you step on it, and actually you're not a bear but a fully grown human being...I don't know.

I was mostly responding to the sentiment of “whatever, dumb fucks get what’s coming to them”. I’ll just point out that gatcha and Kickstarter and poo poo like Rudy did all thrive on exploiting natural human behaviors.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

triple sulk posted:

I was gonna post about it before framed as "if you're mad about Secret Lair existing, check this out" but people paid a thousand dollars for this:

The latest set's 1st edition printing is barely going for retail because they either printed too much or no one cares about it any more, if not both, partly because of this dumb bullshit making the company look slimy and partly because the game just isn't that great. One of the cards that had a cold foil treatment (thus occupying the average single cold foil pull in a booster box) was banned before the official release and they more or less straight up said they jammed it in without playtesting it. The whole thing will probably be dead or on life support by the end of next year.

its incredibly funny that his knockoff MTG logo is in the art for a rival card game

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing
what the hell game is that, I tried to search back from the card's name, but only found a video about some chump who "believed in the game" without ever mentioning its name

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

boo_radley posted:

what the hell game is that, I tried to search back from the card's name, but only found a video about some chump who "believed in the game" without ever mentioning its name

Flesh and Blood

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Flimflammers and Bagholders

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

little munchkin posted:

it's crazy that people would get conned into paying so much money for a useless piece of cardboard. anyways, how's the latest secret lair looking?
I've at least used my secret lairs I bought alot, even forcing deck choices to make sure I can use as many secret lair cards as possible. It is fun that way

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yeah that's pretty true, sadly. I know he has a few patrons on here so I invite any of you to defend your purchase, if you did get one. Please.
wait that was just for a single card? I thought it was for a bundle or sealed box and you got the exclusive card as a promo included. lmao

I back him to get cheap magic stuff, and also for the occasional tip. he gave me some solid recommendations and why, I went in hard on those, and all of them have seen significant increases in value since then.

I pick up a case of magic every couple months or so, and his occasional friday magic deals are generally good. If you regularly buy mtg stuff, his prices are solid. the theros collector box deal last year was loving nuts, and there's been some great sales since then too.

as for defending that fab nonsense, nah I ain't gonna. I don't follow his non-mtg stuff, but I also think his fab and metazoo poo poo is sketchy as hell, but whatever.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Oct 13, 2021

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

The weirdest part about this is that this card is completely useless in play, from what I understand. It's like paying 1000$ for art series car

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Covermeinsunshine posted:

The weirdest part about this is that this card is completely useless in play, from what I understand. It's like paying 1000$ for art series car

"You may only have PSA graded cards in your deck" and drawing only if you reveal a gem mint 10 graded card seem like they might be a little restrictive, yes

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Covermeinsunshine posted:

There's some other art cards of the other fabled (about 1 per 40 boxes) rarity cards which are all gems but the main draw is the promo which isn't game legal.

In all their wisdom the company behind the game just took their first supplemental set out of print entirely after three waves. Aside from a few staples it had a terribly useless gimmick hero and the prices spiked overnight as a result. This was the unlimited printing too so there's no real rhyme or reason behind anything. Top tier tournament level decks can already push a grand so I'm sure this will help the game's image.

At this point I thought about making a separate thread just for all the drama.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

triple sulk posted:

At this point I thought about making a separate thread just for all the drama.

Probs not a bad idea, but until then, what are all the people who were saying "the unlimited edition will never go out of print" saying now?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
found a pretty good analysis just from a quick twitter search

https://twitter.com/TolarianCollege/status/1446593546866212864

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Probs not a bad idea, but until then, what are all the people who were saying "the unlimited edition will never go out of print" saying now?

Originally the set in question (Crucible of War) was never originally slated to have an unlimited release. Unlimited printings have only ever come out well after first editions (an issue in and of itself for pricing and having to play with the supposedly valuable cold foils until a regular rainbow foil version comes out) but Crucible of War got one because it was pretty needed. They reprinted Fyendal's Spring Tunic, a generic legendary equipment, from the first set in there which was nonfoil compared to the original -- never mind the cold foil first edition version selling for $10k or whatever it's at now -- and Shiyana, a blitz format hero that's absolute garbage due to the design but now out of print, so it spiked.

To get back to your question I think the impression has always been that they could print it forever or at least whenever they want and now that appears to be gone, at least as far as supplemental sets are concerned. Not a great look because they've never been all that clear about it.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

The image of someone struggling to shuffle PSA grade plastic plates is kind of hilarious tbf.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

A big flaming stink posted:

Pretty funny how hard they're trying to not outright say "Rudy is a fuckin grifter" without using those exact words, but still going to the Frog And Scorpion parable.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Anyone who pays rudy literally any money is already a moron, so I dont really feel bad about him slapping people in the face, calling them idiots, and them still lining up to give him more money.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

A big flaming stink posted:

nm

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Oct 13, 2021

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I also just realized that the mechanologist class has a bunch of key staples in the Crucible of War set so they more or less made it completely inaccessible to new players despite not being that old of a set, and that I'm sitting on a few of them and they're like $20-30 a pop so I'm gonna offload them before the entire market dies

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

mcmagic posted:

Isn't this dude a shithead and a sexpest?

The Professor? I don’t think so….

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
i think a thread is worthy if folks gonna talk about some jank rear end grift game here

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

mcmagic posted:

Turn your monitor on 😂😂🤣 jk mcmagic.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

mcmagic posted:

Rudy is a confirmed shithead but this is the first I'm hearing he is a sex pest but I also 100% believe this already

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

PleasantDirge posted:

Rudy is a confirmed shithead but this is the first I'm hearing he is a sex pest but I also 100% believe this already

please don't engage in a game of telephone that results in finding a man guilty of sex crimes

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

The World Inferno posted:

The image of someone struggling to shuffle PSA grade plastic plates is kind of hilarious tbf.

There's an EDH guy on YouTube who quad sleeves his cards and the final "sleeve" is a hard case. He has to keep each deck in a fat pack box and it looks pretty ridiculous, not to mention the problem with shuffling that monstrosity.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I mean, both rudy and the professors are grifters. One is just less shameless than the other.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Sickening posted:

I mean, both rudy and the professors are grifters. One is just less shameless than the other.

uh how is the professor a grifter

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009

little munchkin posted:

please don't engage in a game of telephone that results in finding a man guilty of sex crimes

Lol wut?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

in the aaaarms of an angel…

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

^^^^^ I don't see anything objectionable about that at all. He sells sealed product at prices people are willing to pay, cheaper than retail. It's the pump and dumping insinuating you're getting in on the ground floor of some also-ran game that gets me.

Yeah sorry I should have gone in to it but I'm so incensed.

So, he was an early partner with the manufacturer of flesh and blood. So my understanding is he partnered with them to get a vanity card referring to himself made as a thank you? Non tournament legal. Then he got 1500 copies, put them in a secret lair style box, and offered them for fomo sale for $1k each, for 24 hours, promising to keep 10 for his family and destroy the rest publicly. He framed it as a public experiment to see whether people would reject it, making it rarer, and thus more valuable.

But at the end of the day he sold like 1300 of them for 1.3 million, and they are totally pointless pieces the equivalent of art cards. It's astounding really.

I’m missing how this was bilking anyone out of anything. If morons want to pay $1,000 for an art card of Rudy that’s their choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Post literally any evidence to back this or shut the gently caress up, dude