Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Amazing Spider-Man is gonna be the weekly or bi-weekly book with rotating writers and Zeb Wells organizing the writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Beyond honestly just feels like filler for whatever they have planned for 900

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
900 will just be the start of the two-year weekly schedule march to 1000.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The Beyond corporation sounds familiar, but I could be confusing them with Roxxon, the company publicly owned and operated by an ancient magic minotaur.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The Beyond Corporation is from Nextwave.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Gologle posted:

The Beyond corporation sounds familiar, but I could be confusing them with Roxxon, the company publicly owned and operated by an ancient magic minotaur.

Rest in peace, my beautiful horned son.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Rest in peace, my beautiful horned son.

I didn’t think or good Minotaur friend was dead just… slightly chewed

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I bet his companies zoom calls are deeply upsetting these days.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Gologle posted:

Codependent Poster posted:

The Beyond Corporation is from Nextwave.
More recently, they were villains in Ewing's Captain America & The Mighty Avengers. Where they weren't played for laughs.

Actually, that reminds me - Peter's nightmare at the start of the issue with Uncle Ben with a hole where his face was - wasn't that how they were depicted in that story? Might be foreshadowing.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Yvonmukluk posted:

More recently, they were villains in Ewing's Captain America & The Mighty Avengers. Where they weren't played for laughs.

Actually, that reminds me - Peter's nightmare at the start of the issue with Uncle Ben with a hole where his face was - wasn't that how they were depicted in that story? Might be foreshadowing.

That's correct! From Captain America & the Mighty Avengers #5:

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

How Wonderful! posted:

Well, the ran began with fairly light, high-concept stories (oh no! Peter split himself into two guys with a ray gun!) and a focus on Peter's social life, especially a well received subplot where he took on the supervillain Boomerang as a room-mate.

By the end of the run the stories had become bogged down by a VERY long-running and incrementally developed story about a mysterious villain, Kindred, whose design and concept were not especially popular from the get-go, and who, iirc, lost whatever goon goodwill he started with rapidly as the arc plodded on. Kindred's gimmick, as well as the gimmicks of a number of intervening arcs, also shifted from the goofy, sitcomy notes of the beginning of the run to DeMatteis sturm und drang about the Many Unforgiven Sins of Peter Parker and so on. By the end, it was clear that the story that many fans thought was being set-up for a retcon (Peter and MJ's marriage being sold to the devil) was NOT going to be retconned, and instead Spencer wrote an imposingly baroque DIFFERENT retcon about a handful of largely forgotten Osborn-adjacent subplots, by which point I feel like many BSS posters were done with the whole thing.

A caveat-- this is pieced together from conversations here and elsewhere since I stopped reading it fairly early on. But to make a long-story short-- his run ended on a much different tone than the one with which it started, which moved it fairly far afield of the comedic, slice of life-y angle that accounted for its initially warm reception.

Hmm interesting

Maybe it was originally meant to undue one more day but editorial changed it?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Noob Saibot posted:

Hmm interesting

Maybe it was originally meant to undue one more day but editorial changed it?

I mean it still kind of undoes it but also not really? It’s weird

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/jedmackay/status/1448016912856887297?s=21

Holy poo poo, Vulpes!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
heh, two black cat issues huh. works for me

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mary Jane and Black Cat get their own one shot. I guess

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
They let me in the Spider-Man sandbox to do some Black Cat/ Daughters of the Dragon now and again:

•ASM 76.BEY (Daughters solo story)
•Death of Doctor Strange: Spider-Man (ft. Black Cat)
•ASM 87 (ft. Black Cat + Captain America)
•Mary Jane & Black Cat Beyond

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Sentinel Red posted:

Despite knowing bugger all about the Eternals until this series, I really liked the opener to the new arc with an increasingly affronted Ajak getting mad at the Avengers over their new choice of hang out, plus the flashback fight one million years earlier. Gillen Gillens while Kei Zama has a blast on art.

Good stuff.

I'm only where Unlimited is but I am enjoying this run of Eternals quite a bit. I've tried to read them here and there over the years and I could tell something cool was going on but it was too dense to penetrate without an easy way to read back issues.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Mary Jane and Felicia hanging out without Peter sounds fun. Both of them are at their best, when he's not around.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I mean Black Cat doesn’t really have much to do with Peter around since their relationship is just criminal Peter wants to gently caress and they never really attempted to move past that

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I’m interested in seeing Black Cat and Captain America in the same room. When’s the last time that happened? Maximum Carnage?

Has Vulpes written much 616 Peter Parker? He’s written a lot of Spider-Men, but I’m not sure about the original.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Open Marriage Night posted:

I’m interested in seeing Black Cat and Captain America in the same room. When’s the last time that happened? Maximum Carnage?

The first issue of the most recent volume of Black Cat, during the King in Black crossover.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Beyond honestly just feels like filler for whatever they have planned for 900

I’ve gotten distinct “Spencer left early so here’s a stopgap until the real relaunch in 2022” vibes since it was announced, and I think Marvel just confirmed today that it’s only running for 19 issues

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wanderer posted:

The first issue of the most recent volume of Black Cat, during the King in Black crossover.

Vulpes wrote one of my favourite lines for a scene between them, actually (I think it was for the big heist story). Felicia lies to him about being responsible for the stuff going on in NY and the thought caption is something like "And my heart breaks when he believes me so easily".

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Barry Convex posted:

I’ve gotten distinct “Spencer left early so here’s a stopgap until the real relaunch in 2022” vibes since it was announced, and I think Marvel just confirmed today that it’s only running for 19 issues

I mean it’s possible but I can’t think of Spencer’s run lasting twenty more issues. The ending felt a little rushed but not that rushed

Like 0 more would increase the run length by 25%

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 13, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

Vulpes wrote one of my favourite lines for a scene between them, actually (I think it was for the big heist story). Felicia lies to him about being responsible for the stuff going on in NY and the thought caption is something like "And my heart breaks when he believes me so easily".

Vulpes also believes in Bats the Ghost Dog supremacy so he is the best writer Marvel has today. :colbert:

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Rick posted:

I'm only where Unlimited is but I am enjoying this run of Eternals quite a bit. I've tried to read them here and there over the years and I could tell something cool was going on but it was too dense to penetrate without an easy way to read back issues.

What does everyone think of the 1985 Eternals maxi series? That was my first real exposure to the characters, and when I re-read it this year on Unlimited it seemed…. a little dull. I remember reading there were real problems between Shooter and Gillis, which led to him being taken off the book 3/4 of the way through….

The whole Eternals concept seems to be “great idea on paper, but never really executed in a way to make people care”. They really didn’t go anywhere for a long time after that 80’s series, unless you count Sersi being an Avenger for like 60+ issues. There was that really good Neil Gaiman series in the mid-aughts, but nothing ever really stood out for me. Even the Kirby stuff was the usual late-period “meh” work from him.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean it’s possible but I can’t think of Spencer’s run lasting twenty more issues. The ending felt a little rushed but not that rushed

Like 0 more would increase the run length by 25%

you underestimate Spencer’s ability to pile convoluted mystery on top of convoluted mystery, but either way, it still feels like a stopgap before a bigger relaunch of the book

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean Black Cat doesn’t really have much to do with Peter around since their relationship is just criminal Peter wants to gently caress and they never really attempted to move past that

eh, I think they've tried to flesh out their relationship more since then. Like I think of all people, Mark Millar wrote a good relationship between them in Marvel Knights Spider-Man. I think there's potential if they ever did want to explore their relationship deeper, but no character has a chance against MJ. MJ and Peter just compliment each other perfectly and there are some really well-written moments between them that show it.

GPTribefan posted:

What does everyone think of the 1985 Eternals maxi series? That was my first real exposure to the characters, and when I re-read it this year on Unlimited it seemed…. a little dull. I remember reading there were real problems between Shooter and Gillis, which led to him being taken off the book 3/4 of the way through….

The whole Eternals concept seems to be “great idea on paper, but never really executed in a way to make people care”. They really didn’t go anywhere for a long time after that 80’s series, unless you count Sersi being an Avenger for like 60+ issues. There was that really good Neil Gaiman series in the mid-aughts, but nothing ever really stood out for me. Even the Kirby stuff was the usual late-period “meh” work from him.

I think the Eternals have sort of suffered from being super overpowered in the Marvel Universe, which can't really support too many godlike characters. Especially ones that don't have feet of clay like the Eternals. That's why I love the twist Gillen has added regarding their immortality. It immediately makes them more interesting because even though they're still godlike, they now know the cost for it and most believe it's too high. They're still powerful, but it all comes at risk and cost and that didn't really exist before.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They’re like the Inhumans+ who were Mutants+. It’s an interesting evolution.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Barry Convex posted:

you underestimate Spencer’s ability to pile convoluted mystery on top of convoluted mystery, but either way, it still feels like a stopgap before a bigger relaunch of the book

Oh it’s definitely that but I don’t think Spencer has to much to do with it. Going weekly with one writer would have been a lot

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I just checked the editorial from ASM 75 and it does say Beyond is a 19-part story. Which takes us to 93, I think. Which leaves the next creative team an arc for the 900th issue.

I wonder if JRJR will be back, didn’t he come back to Marvel and he’s not done much?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I think the issue is, for me at least, the Eternals are just worse New Gods. I already have Orion and Metron and Bekka and Big Barda and etc. at home, why should I go out to the store for other brands?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Eternals were never meant to be in the MU when the original series was written, which is why they're a weird, not great fit.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Goddamn Immortal Hulk. Goddamn.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I feel like I'm gonna be in the minority but I found it kind of unsatisfying and anticlimactic.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Gaz-L posted:

I feel like I'm gonna be in the minority but I found it kind of unsatisfying and anticlimactic.

You might not be. I thought it was a biblical epic steeped in Marvel lore and spoke to not just the origins of the Hulk, but his origins. It felt cinematic and expansive for a story that was fairly self-contained.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i was with it right up until the last couple of pages where it felt like instead of being able to tie it off in a satisfying way ewing had to half-heartedly leave it open because the cates book is coming out immediately after this

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Imo the end of the story is the big return home. Banner's monologue was weak but didn't matter

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

I'm sort of leaning to this direction as well. Like I know we were always dealing with biblical entities, but the, what is essentially, God reveal while also pulling the whole "All apart of my plan, Works in Mysterious ways" feels like a pretty big copout. Also it's been a while but the whole possessed Hulk entity at the end of time/universe killing Franklin, was that ever concluded? Also the reveal that Banner descendants are direct relatives to the Sterns is pretty :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The denouement basically being scored to a key-shifted version of "Lonely Man" (seriously, I can just imagine a major key version playing over it) doesn't bother me as much as yeah, the other stuff. The idea of the villain basically being God's Hulk wasn't exactly a secret, but it felt like in service of the 'well, you can't really fight a literal creator deity' things just sort of petered out? Like the introduction of the Sterns/Banner family drama is 100% not something you can bring in last minute like this and have it carry weight. Jennifer and Betty may as well not have been in this last chapter. Banner himself is basically absent for the entire last third of the whole run....

Basically it felt like the larger themes of 'anger isn't enough on it's own, it needs to be tempered with compassion/mercy', we all have the capacity to destroy/rebuild rubbed up against and basically overwhelmed any catharsis for the characters, except maybe Jackie a bit. It doesn't help that I'm way more attached to the Greg Pak era of Hulk, so Jarella and Joe's mobster mentor don't really tug the heartstrings for me and the whole run felt like Ewing pointedly avoiding engaging with that period of the series.

My main take aways were: I don't think this was intended to be a 50 issue run, I think it got cut short, maybe not by much, but that's my feeling (just to be clear, my feeling, I'm not accusing Marvel of anything, before I get 'um actually'd') as there's plot and theme here that got crammed in right at the finish line. And I really want Ewing to take a shot at the FF.