Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I really tried to get through A Portable but that Stardust Memory finale with the GP-02 and the Nuke killed me like seven times and I gave up to play Fire Emblem instead. Good lord that map sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Kchama posted:

Weren't those weirdly the default themes for those units in BX? Like MacF has always weirdly defaulted to The Target. And Raijinoh had not Dream Shift for its finisher theme pretty much always. Also isn't You Get To Burning like, the most common theme for Nadesico in SRW?

Truth be told, I haven't been able to get Citrus to run at full speed on my laptop so I haven't been able to play BX, so I don't know what the default themes there would be, but due to Prince of Darkness appearing so many times instead of the original series and You Get to Burning being omitted from W (not that I minded Schiaparelli Project, or getting the themes for Ryoko's squad and Gekiganger 3 instead), Go, Aestivalis was a hair more common prior to BX. You'd think they'd have included You Get To Burning in the trailer just to show people it was back for the first time since J.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

wdarkk posted:

Doesn't V have some ability descriptions that are flat-out wrong? Or is that a different one.
As mentioned above, Boss' Ace Bonus is the one that's legit translated incorrectly. It's a typical "Spirit becomes Drive" Ace, but the actually wording in-game is "Hurrah becomes Cheer". Which you can imagine would create confusion when the latter term is used for a completely different spirit command that does something very different than boosting unit morale.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDwzdgmugcs new trailer around Thursday at 11 PM, at the very least it'll be showing the first DLC pack.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QImjSweJeog

Looks like someone finally realized they hadn't released the EN PV2 yet.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

Brunom1 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QImjSweJeog

Looks like someone finally realized they hadn't released the EN PV2 yet.

disappointed theyre going back to individual pools of PP. not that SRW is difficult but it was nice that TacP let you boost late-joiners

Inferno-sama
Jun 5, 2015

You touch my burger, and I'll slap you so hard you won't even be able to understand how you fucked up.

bacon flaps posted:

disappointed theyre going back to individual pools of PP. not that SRW is difficult but it was nice that TacP let you boost late-joiners

Wait, where does it show PP being individual? On the mission list, it has Credit, PP and MxP all listed like if PP is just one group pool.

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

The preorder and DLC bonuses also say they'll give "500 PP" rather than "500 PP per pilot"; that doesn't mean it couldn't be the latter, but it does suggest that it'll be a single total you spend wherever instead of individual pools.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Yeah, it looks like its still a PP pool.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the pre-order bonuses mention both PP and MxP.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I have finished watching L-Gaim and I can safely say that it is, in fact, Time for L-Gaim.

Seriously that show is fun I cant wait to see Daba and friends with these people.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin
lmao my bad then, yall. on the video the PP amount they showed for customization was so small i assumed it'd be per pilot. since the MxP one was in the tens of thousands and the PP was less than 500 iirc?

anyway thats good to know

Policenaut posted:

I have finished watching L-Gaim and I can safely say that it is, in fact, Time for L-Gaim.

Seriously that show is fun I cant wait to see Daba and friends with these people.

havent seen it but want to solely for the OP

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008

bacon flaps posted:

on the video the PP amount they showed for customization was so small i assumed it'd be per pilot. since the MxP one was in the tens of thousands and the PP was less than 500 iirc?
AFAIK, they split PP into its own pool that's still global, just that it's not going to be competing with the rest of the things you spend TacP on in the previous games.

Which is nice I guess, TacP was a bit too overpopulated.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
I'm looking forward to seeing how L-Gaim is handled in modern SRW (I'm not counting OE just because it feels somewhat like a throwback to GC). Will it still just have the Power Launcher as its most powerful attack, or will they finally give Daba a proper finisher? It's always felt like L-Gaim kinda got the short end of the stick when it comes to finishing moves, even compared to other real robots. Like, back in 4/F/F Final, when it first appeared, it fit right in with the high-end Gundams, none of which had any sort of flashy ultimate moves, but now pretty much every main character Gundam aside from the GP-01 has some sort of high-budget ultimate attack (speaking of, I would love to see what the GP-03's finisher would look like now).

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

bacon flaps posted:

lmao my bad then, yall. on the video the PP amount they showed for customization was so small i assumed it'd be per pilot. since the MxP one was in the tens of thousands and the PP was less than 500 iirc?

anyway thats good to know

havent seen it but want to solely for the OP

dont judge a game mechanic by its small PP in the trailer

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

EclecticTastes posted:

I'm looking forward to seeing how L-Gaim is handled in modern SRW (I'm not counting OE just because it feels somewhat like a throwback to GC). Will it still just have the Power Launcher as its most powerful attack, or will they finally give Daba a proper finisher? It's always felt like L-Gaim kinda got the short end of the stick when it comes to finishing moves, even compared to other real robots. Like, back in 4/F/F Final, when it first appeared, it fit right in with the high-end Gundams, none of which had any sort of flashy ultimate moves, but now pretty much every main character Gundam aside from the GP-01 has some sort of high-budget ultimate attack (speaking of, I would love to see what the GP-03's finisher would look like now).

I'm willing to bet they'll just use the Buster Launcher as Daba's most powerful attack but they'll dress it up with a ton of cinematic flourishes from the show or maybe the Five Star Stories movie style if they're feeling spicy. If L-Gaim gets Gridmanned with all of Daba's friends being attacks then maybe they can do a combo attack first.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

EclecticTastes posted:

Truth be told, I haven't been able to get Citrus to run at full speed on my laptop so I haven't been able to play BX, so I don't know what the default themes there would be, but due to Prince of Darkness appearing so many times instead of the original series and You Get to Burning being omitted from W (not that I minded Schiaparelli Project, or getting the themes for Ryoko's squad and Gekiganger 3 instead), Go, Aestivalis was a hair more common prior to BX. You'd think they'd have included You Get To Burning in the trailer just to show people it was back for the first time since J.

Yeah I looked into my copy and Go! is the default theme for the Aestivalis units. You Get To Burning was for the Nadesico. Fun fact: BX actually has two different versions of You Get To Burning, the TV and the full version.

And to be fair, W was the only game between J and BX that had Nadesico.

You Get To Burning was more common until V and T. W had neither Go, or You Get To, and J and BX had both. R and IMPACT only had You Get To Burning. MX, V and T only had Go!. T is what tied it up.

Policenaut posted:

I'm willing to bet they'll just use the Buster Launcher as Daba's most powerful attack but they'll dress it up with a ton of cinematic flourishes from the show or maybe the Five Star Stories movie style if they're feeling spicy. If L-Gaim gets Gridmanned with all of Daba's friends being attacks then maybe they can do a combo attack first.

Double Buster Launcher between L-Gaim and Mk. II?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Quote is not edit.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Kchama posted:

Yeah I looked into my copy and Go! is the default theme for the Aestivalis units. You Get To Burning was for the Nadesico. Fun fact: BX actually has two different versions of You Get To Burning, the TV and the full version.

And to be fair, W was the only game between J and BX that had Nadesico.

Turns out I'd misremembered, I'd thought W had Go, Aestivalis as the default themes for the Prince of Darkness Aestis, like most games that use both, so it is, in fact, a tie. Honestly, though, I'd actually prefer the selection they used in W if they do original Nadesico again. I'd happily trade You Get To Burning for the Gekiganger 3 theme.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Policenaut posted:

doubt they'll make the l-gaim crew attacks. they all mostly have their own mechs and stuff. they didnt consolidate the zz gundam crew into judau or anything.

Davzz
Jul 31, 2008
I miss the days when some units had a MAP attack as their finisher but I'm sure I'm the only one.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Davzz posted:

I miss the days when some units had a MAP attack as their finisher but I'm sure I'm the only one.

This worked better back in the days of Double Move, when you could spend Judau's first turn moving the ZZ up, and his second firing the High Mega Cannon. And then the Banpresto Original boss murders your entire team because it has a 100% chance to hit Amuro in the Nu Gundam with Focus up even when you choose to dodge, takes 10 damage from anything less than Cybuster's Cosmo Nova, and your supers literally can't hit anything without Strike so they ran out of SP half the map ago and are now useless. Why yes I have recently been playing F/F Final.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

EclecticTastes posted:

It'll probably just be the Buster Launcher. The Wing Zero typically tops out at the Twin Buster Rifle with a big fancy animation and lots of flourishes, so there's absolutely precedent.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

EclecticTastes posted:

Turns out I'd misremembered, I'd thought W had Go, Aestivalis as the default themes for the Prince of Darkness Aestis, like most games that use both, so it is, in fact, a tie. Honestly, though, I'd actually prefer the selection they used in W if they do original Nadesico again. I'd happily trade You Get To Burning for the Gekiganger 3 theme.

To be honest I had to look up each one just to be sure so I don't blame you for not remembering right.

Davzz posted:

I don't, because they were always difficult to use and outside of a couple ones never super useful.

EclecticTastes posted:

This worked better back in the days of Double Move, when you could spend Judau's first turn moving the ZZ up, and his second firing the High Mega Cannon. And then the Banpresto Original boss murders your entire team because it has a 100% chance to hit Amuro in the Nu Gundam with Focus up even when you choose to dodge, takes 10 damage from anything less than Cybuster's Cosmo Nova, and your supers literally can't hit anything without Strike so they ran out of SP half the map ago and are now useless. Why yes I have recently been playing F/F Final.

You too, huh.

*traumatized stare into the distance*

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Kchama posted:

You too, huh.

*traumatized stare into the distance*

I first discovered the franchise through SRW3, so the bullshit that is the Original Timeline Banpresto Original Boss is baked into my very bones. Actually, there's a bit of an anecdote about it. See, I got SRW3 as one of like a hundred games a classmate had with an SNES emulator he brought into a 3D animation class I took back in high school, which everyone subsequently copied over the network, and which I took home in a flash drive. I only picked that one out because I was watching someone else play it before class, and recognized Getter Robo from a VHS copy of some ancient attempt to localize the series I'd watched at my grandfather's house when I was, like, four years old. The memory had stuck with me, the cool robot that could rearrange the jets that form it to take different forms, and I pretty much had to investigate. Actually, it took me a few months to even find it, since I'd never gotten the title when watching it, and thought "Super Robot Wars" referred to the British battlebot show of the same name (I wasn't really clear on how long the show had been airing).

Anyway that's how I discovered this franchise and also it was like three playthroughs before I even realized you could recruit Char.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

My story is similar, involving one of those CDs that went around in the 90's with ZSNES and every Super Nintendo game ever made on it. Although I think I gave up on 3 early for some reason and instead the one I played a lot of was 4? I think I remember disliking 3 because it started with the "lame robots with guns" and not the "cool robot with the rocket punch". I don't think I made the connection that was SRW until a few years later with SRW OG though.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
I found SRWR and had no idea what anything in the game was. Or how to read Japanese at all. My knowledge of mecha at the time was Robotech, Voltron and Gundam Wing. I only vaguely had heard of Gundam otherwise. So I beat SRWR, not knowing what seishin were, and thought it was the hardest game in existence. So naturally I decided to go back and play them in order, but I didn't want to play anything before the SNES. So I started with SRW3.

It was a mistake, but I had a lot of fun. I actually like the classic games, even though they hate me.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
If we're going down memory lane, my first exposure to SRW was OG1 on the GBA,back in highschool. I think I found out about it through a similar games list on gfaqs. Playing through it for the first time was pretty challenging and OG1 suffered from bad UI. After it I found out OG2 existed and I liked it a lot, and played it a lot over the years.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I didn't play F/FF until after I had played the entire Alpha series through 3, Impact, and all the GBA games, but I ended up loving it. It hits this weird ground where it's brutally hard if you try to play it like a modern SRW game and just use whoever your personal favorites even if they're horrible, but if you treat it like a normal SRPG it holds up well. The difficulty also falls apart completely somewhere around mid-FF when they start giving you stuff like the Ideon/Gunbuster/First Appearance Mazinkaiser/Ridiculously Overpowered Wing Boys/Shin Getter and the enemies just can't keep up anymore.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
I think my first exposure to SRW was browsing Gideon Zhi's site and seeing screenshots of SRW4 and thinking "Oh, this game has Gundams in it. I like Gundams."

I think I wound up getting surprisingly far despite the translation being in some kind of super pre-alpha state, with attacks like "Beemu Huraifuru" and "Buresto Faiya"

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

My first exposure to SRW was watching at at-the-time internet friend playing SRW OG1 in his Youtube channel, followed by OG2 and Infinite Frontier. I wasn't into robots at the time, but the game looked fun in that Fire Emblem sort of way so I got OG1 myself to check it out.

Well, it should be obvious that I am into robots now. It awakened something in me.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

For me it was that i was always a fan of Mecha anime growing up, and on high school i used to check out Rom sites daily for new games. By sheer luck i saw OG1 the day it came out in English, saw the preview images with some Mecha and a fire emblem style interface so i was immediately into it. Downloaded it into my laptop, and that same day i had a 6 hour bus ride back home from my grandma's because I had been staying with her for a long weekend.

I played it until my laptop's battery died. I was hooked.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I think my first exposure to SRW was through an Ex-GF's brother who was into OG, and from there I got the fan translation of Alpha Gaiden and then J and here I am now.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
My first exposure was a PV trailer for Alpha 3 or such that was like 45 minutes long with attack reels and I loved robots so I watched the poo poo out of it a bunch of times. Then a few years later I randomly saw OG2 in a Gamestop and went 'Super Robot Wars?', looked at the back of the box, and lost my poo poo before purchasing it immediately. Finding out the series was basically Fire Emblem with robots made my loving year during a rough time, which was nice. :unsmith:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Kanos posted:

I didn't play F/FF until after I had played the entire Alpha series through 3, Impact, and all the GBA games, but I ended up loving it. It hits this weird ground where it's brutally hard if you try to play it like a modern SRW game and just use whoever your personal favorites even if they're horrible, but if you treat it like a normal SRPG it holds up well. The difficulty also falls apart completely somewhere around mid-FF when they start giving you stuff like the Ideon/Gunbuster/First Appearance Mazinkaiser/Ridiculously Overpowered Wing Boys/Shin Getter and the enemies just can't keep up anymore.

Yeah, I'll grant that Ideon, Gunbuster, Mazinkaiser, Shin Getter, and the Wing Zero (Endless Waltz version) rock pretty hard (the season 2 Wing mechs are good, but not overwhelmingly so), but the real secret to success in Old SRW is to minimize how often you use spirit commands on your super robots. Like, build up their levels as much as humanly possible on mechabeasts and other super robot enemies, because once the real robots come out, you need to save every last SP you can so they can afford to use both Strike and Guard/Flash against the impossible-to-hit bosses. Also, morale's effect on damage is much greater than it is in later games, so Exhaust is a huge deal if you can get it.

Kitfox88 posted:

My first exposure was a PV trailer for Alpha 3 or such that was like 45 minutes long with attack reels and I loved robots so I watched the poo poo out of it a bunch of times. Then a few years later I randomly saw OG2 in a Gamestop and went 'Super Robot Wars?', looked at the back of the box, and lost my poo poo before purchasing it immediately. Finding out the series was basically Fire Emblem with robots made my loving year during a rough time, which was nice. :unsmith:

This reminds me of how I learned about Namco X Capcom (SRW's sibling title). I saw the opening cinematic on G4's Cinematech a bunch of times, and burned the game's title into my memory. It was a big moment for me when I finally had a computer capable of running a PS2 emulator, as that was the first game I played on it.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 14, 2021

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

EclecticTastes posted:

Yeah, I'll grant that Ideon, Gunbuster, Mazinkaiser, Shin Getter, and the Wing Zero (Endless Waltz version) rock pretty hard (the season 2 Wing mechs are good, but not overwhelmingly so), but the real secret to success in Old SRW is to minimize how often you use spirit commands on your super robots. Like, build up their levels as much as humanly possible on mechabeasts and other super robot enemies, because once the real robots come out, you need to save every last SP you can so they can afford to use both Strike and Guard/Flash against the impossible-to-hit bosses. Also, morale's effect on damage is much greater than it is in later games, so Exhaust is a huge deal if you can get it.

Super robots don't tend to have huge accuracy problems without spells in F/FF as long as you're keeping up on their mobility upgrades, since robot mobility in the F/FF system directly influences accuracy. The only time it's really a problem is the awkward middle stretch where you're capped at 5 upgrade slots but the enemies continue scaling, and the solution to that is "okay Dancougar you get to wait a few stages until I can upgrade you again".

I don't remember really needing to use Strike on supers that much except against boss enemies.

Grashbar
Aug 17, 2014
If we're talking about first exposure to SRW, then I was browsing tvtropes and came across a certain track. The rest is history.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

my introduction to Super Robot Wars was actually Battle Moon Wars, the Nasuverse fangame based off of it. I played it, liked it, and when I learned it was based off of another game series I got OG1.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Grashbar posted:

If we're talking about first exposure to SRW, then I was browsing tvtropes and came across a certain track. The rest is history.

My first exposure to Elzam was in Alpha 2, where the first time you hear this song is when he shows up to save Sanger during the upgrade stage and they have a fantastic on-map sprite animation of the Huckebein Trombe giant swing tossing a Zankantou the size of itself to Sanger. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Finding SRW OGs attack compilation videos on Youtube is why I'm a mecha fan today and was a weirdly formative experience for me.