Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OPAONI
Jul 23, 2021

Push El Burrito posted:

I like Ryan Reynolds he seems like a good guy and I laugh at his jokes.

He's charming and pretty and doesn't give off Chris Pratt vibes of secret rage at all creation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

OPAONI posted:

He's charming and pretty and doesn't give off Chris Pratt vibes of secret rage at all creation.

If your parents sent you to school with the name Crisp Rat you would have issues too.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Chris Pratt gives me '"cool" youth pastor' vibes. Like you think he's cool but he's still a fundamentalist narc trying to convert you to Jesus.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Imagined posted:

Chris Pratt gives me '"cool" youth pastor' vibes. Like you think he's cool but he's still a fundamentalist narc trying to convert you to Jesus.

probably Chris Pratt posted:

Some kids like to "party" and use "peer pressure" to get you to "do it." (Nobody's ever asked me to party with them, but if anyone ever did, I could see myself being tempted to go along.) Sure, it may sound like fun, but I've learned that sex is really just a "roadblock to holiness." There's only one real way to have a good time: Jesus! I realize that some teens may not consider praising God and resisting your body's sinful urges to be all that "rad," but boy, oh, boy, are they wrong!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

*Sits down on backwards-facing chair, turns baseball cap backwards and starts rapping*

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
“I’m going to sing you a song *pulls out guitar with smiley face stickers and no smoking symbols on it* it’s called…homo no-no”….

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Ego-bot posted:

He has one single character he plays and it gets old really loving fast.

He's got at least 2 characters...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNs81MLYYBU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Dr Christmas posted:

First episode of Squid Game, before anything gets going: Seong is picked up in a van with sleeping passengers. When he gets in, the van sprays him with sleeping gas. According to some Cracked article I read years ago, sleeping gas isn't really a thing, as very small vagaries would mean the difference between getting slightly buzzed and getting dead, but I can usually forgive it for the sake of expedience. What irritates me is that everyone before the last guy would be getting gassed multiple times, with someone in there getting quintuple-gassed.

Sleeping gas is a thing. There was a huge controversy about its use in Russia awhile back https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_hostage_crisis_chemical_agent. Its not that safe, but a murder game probably wouldn't be too concerned about that.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
It’s not a thing in that example. It’s uncontrolled and unregulated anaesthesia, and it’s so unbelievably dangerous it killed about 25% of the people in that hostage situation. The actual mechanism of anaesthesia is not fully understood even now, but the risks are manageable in a medically controlled environment. With no way of controlling the level of exposure of each individual, they effectively murdered almost 200 people.

For the purposes of a lone individual on a tv show, who cares? Sure, gas him or hit him with a tire iron, whatever.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
It’s magic sleeping gas and the murder people wouldn’t risk killing the contestants outside of the game which is a plot point brought up later in the Doctor’s storyline

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Ego-bot posted:

He has one single character he plays and it gets old really loving fast.

Ryan Reynolds tried do other thing with movies like Buried (which is really good by the way), but no one wanted to see them. It's like Jay-Z said:

quote:

I dumb down for my audience and double my dollars
They criticize me for it yet they all yell "Holla"

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

After watching No Time To Die recently, I decided to rewatch Goldeneye, my favorite Bond movie and the first one I saw when it came out, and not just on TV.

Was the foley work always this obvious? At times, it seriously sounds like one of those Youtube videos where they paste Half-Life sound effects over random videos, it's so distracting.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

KozmoNaut posted:

After watching No Time To Die recently, I decided to rewatch Goldeneye, my favorite Bond movie and the first one I saw when it came out, and not just on TV.

Was the foley work always this obvious? At times, it seriously sounds like one of those Youtube videos where they paste Half-Life sound effects over random videos, it's so distracting.

I noticed a similar issue halfway through Mulholland Drive last night and wasn't sure if I could finish it between that and the jarring combo of both overacting and underacting

does it get better after the first hour or is that just kind of the deal with David Lynch? I couldn't really get into Twin Peaks either :sigh:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
IMO David Lynch can be really hit or miss. I find the stories where the plot is relatively straightforward my favorite. He is definitely a director that seems to enjoy being an artist with a capital "A."

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Blood Nightmaster posted:

I noticed a similar issue halfway through Mulholland Drive last night and wasn't sure if I could finish it between that and the jarring combo of both overacting and underacting

I was gonna post some hogwash about there being an El Chapulin Colorado-rear end slide whistle when the guy at Winkies collapses out of sheer terror (like there was in the barrel roll ramp jump in that one Bond movie, or when Wayne Knight slips and falls on his rear end in Jurassic Park)

But now I wish there actually was one, that'd be awesome

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Lynch owns

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Phy posted:

I was gonna post some hogwash about there being an El Chapulin Colorado-rear end slide whistle when the guy at Winkies collapses out of sheer terror (like there was in the barrel roll ramp jump in that one Bond movie, or when Wayne Knight slips and falls on his rear end in Jurassic Park)

(The Jurassic park sound is the sound of the winch cable, which he is holding, being pulled as he falls over)

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Alhazred posted:

I dumb down for my audience and double my dollars
They criticize me for it yet they all yell "Holla"

if skills sold truth be told
i'd probably be lyrically talib kweli

- ryan reynolds, probably

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

KozmoNaut posted:

I noticed that and brought it up in this thread about a year ago when I watched Goldeneye again. The explosion sounds in particular sound like the same they had been using since Dr. No.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I noticed that and brought it up in this thread about a year ago when I watched Goldeneye again. The explosion sounds in particular sound like the same they had been using since Dr. No.

It's extra funny then how often you hear the silenced pistol sound from N64 Goldeneye sampled in music.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Pope Corky the IX posted:

The pre-title sequence sounds like the BBC sound library from 1977: the diving plane noise, the machine gun noise and the PA-CHOW ricochet, they’re all in there.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
My IIMM is that I finished watching the second episode of Oatsstudios and got cinematic blue balls cause the film was awesome and then just loving stops when it's getting good.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Phy posted:

i got u fam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsCSQnvU_dU

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

My IIMM is that I finished watching the second episode of Oatsstudios and got cinematic blue balls cause the film was awesome and then just loving stops when it's getting good.

Was that River God? Because if so yes that one was awesome and needs to be a full film.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Torquemada posted:

The pre-title sequence sounds like the BBC sound library from 1977: the diving plane noise, the machine gun noise and the PA-CHOW ricochet, they’re all in there.

Exactly, it sounds like a budget made-for-TV movie.

And the entire movie has so much random overdubbing of grunts and gasps and throwaway chatter. It's like they were afraid to not have enough sound effects, so they had Pierce Brosnan et. al. spend hours grunting in a sound booth.

KozmoNaut has a new favorite as of 22:11 on Oct 12, 2021

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Bussamove posted:

Was that River God? Because if so yes that one was awesome and needs to be a full film.

Right? Amazing setup, loving outstanding visuals, weird SCP style poo poo going down, and then boom. It's all over.

gently caress I'm still mad about that.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The rerelease of vertigo has some real terrible updated Foley work too, it's super obvious because Jimmy Stuart will close a car door and it'll come through the subwoofer when almost nothing else is.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Right? Amazing setup, loving outstanding visuals, weird SCP style poo poo going down, and then boom. It's all over.

gently caress I'm still mad about that.

I have a soft spot for (most) Neil Blomkamp adjacent stuff so I might be biased, but that was the biggest case of cinematic blueballs I’ve had in a while. And I really like the idea of just some poor farmer being so overcome with grief at what happened to his family reality breaks around him in ways that terrify even him.

One of the later shorts with the horrible flesh-thing in the mining facility had a lot of potential too.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yea, they had some amazing visuals, particularly the invisible skeleton on fire in the woods, and the tank and people just floating away in the air. It was really my favorite of the bunch and I wish they'd either make a movie or just another short film to end it. gently caress it, a book would work. I'd love to know the backstory to why that soldier was out to kill him, and what the gently caress was going on with those timeslips. It was basically the best lovecraftian film I've seen since the empty man.

The mining one was cool, and the monster was crazy as gently caress, but the ending kinda fell flat to me. Neat idea though. Variation on Moon.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
IIMM for Venom: Let There Be Carnage:
Eddie is a loser, but having him wear a Detroit Lions jacket feels like punching a fan when they're down. :(

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

KozmoNaut posted:

Exactly, it sounds like a budget made-for-TV movie.

And the entire movie has so much random overdubbing of grunts and gasps and throwaway chatter. It's like they were afraid to not have enough sound effects, so they had Pierce Brosnan et. al. spend hours grunting in a sound booth.

This is a recurring thing with Bond movies apparently, I've heard the IP owners are really weird and specific about sound design in particular, see also ruining the best stunt in The Man With The Golden Gun with a goddamn slide whistle.

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Got around to watching Venom (2018) since everyone is so hyped about the sequel. So for the big fight at the end you have your bad guy about to get on a space shuttle that's about to lift off. One of the most vulnerable spots you can be. Like, one of the hardest places to not blow up by just doing a little bit of damage to. As a bonus your bad guy is quite flammable. You also know you can't beat him in a direct confrontation because he's much stronger than you. Why would you confront him before he gets inside the shuttle?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I had to stop watching the Oats shorts because they are universally visually gorgeous portrayals of neat concepts that invariably leave you feeling utterly dissatisfied.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
Is Mariah Carey in FreeGuy? Because she's weirdly involved with the marketing of the movie for no apparent reason and the last time a comedy film's marketing kept referencing Mariah Carey for no apparent reason it was You Don't Mess With the Zohan and it was because she was secretly in the movie (for no apparent reason).

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Her song "Fantasy" is part of the plot.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

During The Big Bang Theory actors from Star Trek guest star as themselves who were on the show Star Trek. Another movie they watch is the Back to the Future and Christopher Lloyd guest stars but not as Christopher Lloyd. Why do Star Trek actors portray themselves but when the man who played Doc Brown is on he isn’t recognized as such?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Because big bang theory is a stupid show for stupid people, and if the connection isn't exactly as immediate and obvious as nerds -> star trek then the writers will either cut it or dumb it down

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

oldpainless posted:

During The Big Bang Theory actors from Star Trek guest star as themselves who were on the show Star Trek. Another movie they watch is the Back to the Future and Christopher Lloyd guest stars but not as Christopher Lloyd. Why do Star Trek actors portray themselves but when the man who played Doc Brown is on he isn’t recognized as such?

But Christopher Lloyd was in Star Trek!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

flavor.flv posted:

Because big bang theory is a stupid show for stupid people, and if the connection isn't exactly as immediate and obvious as nerds -> star trek then the writers will either cut it or dumb it down

No y ou don't understand it's a show that's funny because they say "hobbits" and then everyone laughs. It's hilarious!