Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Akuma posted:

If you got it free or bought it from the Epic store, bought it on Origin, or streamed it on Amazon Luna, I did that. Previously we did the Steam version of the DLC and I consulted on the initial PC release. So nothing sexy - just straight ports.

Oh cool, I forgot about those versions. I got excited for a second about like a PS5 version or something. Thanks for the cool ports!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

akuma, the one true primo port goon

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Thanks for all the good ports

e one of my favorite things about these dumb forums has always been that cool people pop up in here

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 13, 2021

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Inspector Hound posted:

e one of my favorite things about these dumb forums has always been that cool people pop up in here

you're welcome :smugbert: :coolfish:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I stopped watching the Alien Isolation stream because I was filled with a large urge to watch the original Alien instead but then I passed out right after the chestburster scene at around 10pm :cheers:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

I stopped watching the Alien Isolation stream because I was filled with a large urge to watch the original Alien instead but then I passed out right after the chestburster scene at around 10pm :cheers:

veegy also passed out hth

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I was watching the first alien isolation stream in bed and suddenly I woke up to what I can only describe as the sounds of Veeg in a state of primal-sexual panic

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

https://clips.twitch.tv/AliveAlluringSandstormPanicBasket-Z65VMrwtHJX9JM41

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Hahahah wow. I can not believe how freaked out I was.

I am genuinely not kidding when I say it is my phobia. Little creepy crawlies going for your face in video games is my biggest weakness. Give me a million Guardian Apes over a game of just fighting facehuggers. (Or headcrabs. - Half Life Alyx is a game I would want to play but again, VR headcrabs could kill me in real life).

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the head crabs in Alyx are great, i think they changed the scale a bit so they’re bigger than in HL2. it really makes them scary when they’re lunging at you in first person

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

the head crabs in Alyx are great, i think they changed the scale a bit so they’re bigger than in HL2. it really makes them scary when they’re lunging at you in first person

VideoGames posted:

VR headcrabs could will kill me in real life).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I love the part in Alyx when a headcrab is dry humping a mannequins head.

The armored ones can gently caress right off though along with throwing grenades.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Really sorry about continuing to make this The Akuma Show but we also did a port of Alien Isolation and it was fun to see everybody on the team go from timidly playing the game and shrieking to just being 100% stone cold gaming the AI all day. Fantastic game, one of my faves.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Akuma posted:

Really sorry about continuing to make this The Akuma Show but we also did a port of Alien Isolation and it was fun to see everybody on the team go from timidly playing the game and shrieking to just being 100% stone cold gaming the AI all day. Fantastic game, one of my faves.

Which port out of interest, Switch? Xbox?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Inspector Hound posted:

It's awesome, use this guide for the last achievement, buying all the best parts, you can accidentally make it impossible and it's easy to do the little trick the faq describes to make sure you don't

What. Do. You. Mean. "We."

Thank you! I'll give it a look.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Which port out of interest, Switch? Xbox?
PC GamePass. Which is less trivial than people might think for games of even that vintage, as they have to be 64bit to use any of the Xbox on PC functionality, and the PC version to date at the time was only 32bit. (I did Valkyria Chronicles as a launch title for PC GamePass but in that instance it didn't need any of the functionality like account management, dlc, leaderboards etc. so we could keep it as a 32bit executable.)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Cool! Great work

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Cool! Great work
I appreciate this post and others like it a lot but I don't want it to seem like I post about my work for validation like this, to be clear! I'm just jazzed about video games and the few times I have something remotely relevant to say in a discussion about them.

On that point free to rip the piss out of me for us working on the call a doodie lmao (even if we did a good job on our bit.)

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Akuma, I am completely sincere when I say I really love your dev posts and you could talk about making video games all the goddam time and I would love it. This thread is more of a celebration of gaming and the way it draws in people from all over the world into a hobby we all love. You and your team have brought joy to countless people with your ports, letting them feel like kids again. This seems like a monumentally better use of the thread’s space than spending 4 pages riffing on The Last of Us Part 2 (The Fart Blasted Us, Shart Poo)

Now to return to your regularly scheduled Rodd posting, my client cancelled all her meetings today so I’m gonna take mushrooms, beat Deathloop, and watch Midnight Mass.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Akuma posted:

I appreciate this post and others like it a lot but I don't want it to seem like I post about my work for validation like this

bad work then :argh:

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

Bust Rodd posted:

This thread is more of a celebration of gaming and the way it draws in people from all over the world into a hobby we all love.

Yeah, this thread doesn't go off topic and derail, as much as it perpetually orbits the idea of a Playstation gaming console while gawping at the splendour of every other drat thing we can see in the night sky.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Akuma posted:

I appreciate this post and others like it a lot but I don't want it to seem like I post about my work for validation like this, to be clear! I'm just jazzed about video games and the few times I have something remotely relevant to say in a discussion about them.

On that point free to rip the piss out of me for us working on the call a doodie lmao (even if we did a good job on our bit.)

you do cool poo poo and make cool posts, let us appreciate it! let us love you!!!

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Akuma posted:

PC GamePass. Which is less trivial than people might think for games of even that vintage, as they have to be 64bit to use any of the Xbox on PC functionality, and the PC version to date at the time was only 32bit. (I did Valkyria Chronicles as a launch title for PC GamePass but in that instance it didn't need any of the functionality like account management, dlc, leaderboards etc. so we could keep it as a 32bit executable.)

Hey that's the version I'm playing in tiny increments weeks apart because I'm a big wimp! Thanks!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Aspyr is one of those dev companies I always like seeing around from the PPC Mac days, even if the first port of theirs I actually played was Guitar Hero 3 for Windows lol. I'm glad they're still around.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Hot take I think oled is the most overblown poo poo

The colors displayed on one certainly are. :haw:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Finished The Last of Us 2.

I wish the discussion around the game wasn't ridiculously toxic everywhere because there is a lot to unload here. It is incredibly flawed (TOO MANY CHARACTERS, too many flashbacks, maybe a little too gross. I've never had a single ludonarrative dissonance in any Uncharted but TLOU 2 has Ellie/Abby going full Commando even in situations where it doesn't seem necessary) but I respect the ambition for having a completely wild take on what to do with the premise "The sequel to The Last of Us. I do think the game stuck the landing on its main gimmick of "redeeming" Abby and making revenge feel hollow, which does a lot to elevate my feelings on the game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why do you think there were too many flashbacks? I thought they were pretty restrained and some of the best parts of the game.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
i enjoyed tlou2 until i heard what Druckman based the story on

quote:

The game's co-director and co-writer Neil Druckmann, an Israeli who was born and raised in the West Bank before his family moved to the U.S., told the Washington Post that the game's themes of revenge can be traced back to the 2000 killing of two Israeli soldiers by a mob in Ramallah. Some of the gruesome details of the incident were captured on video, which Druckmann viewed. In his interview, he recounted the anger and desire for vengeance he felt when he saw the video—and how he later reconsidered and regretted those impulses, saying they made him feel “gross and guilty.” But it gave him the kernel of a story.

“I landed on this emotional idea of, can we, over the course of the game, make you feel this intense hate that is universal in the same way that unconditional love is universal?” Druckmann told the Post. “This hate that people feel has the same kind of universality. You hate someone so much that you want them to suffer in the way they’ve made someone you love suffer.”

Druckmann drew parallels between The Last of Us and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict again on the official The Last of Us podcast. When discussing the first time Joel kills another man to protect his daughter and the extraordinary measures people will take to protect the ones they love, Druckmann said he follows "a lot of Israeli politics," and compared the incident to Israel's release of hundreds of Palestinians prisoners in exchange for the captured Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit in 2011. He said that his father thought that the exchange was overall bad for Israel, but that his father would release every prisoner in every prison to free his own son.

"That's what this story is about, do the ends justify the means, and it's so much about perspective. If it was to save a strange kid maybe Joel would have made a very different decision, but when it was his tribe, his daughter, there was no question about what he was going to do," Druckmann said.

at least the gameplay still feels great for whenever they finally add multiplayer (lol)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
There's just so many of them (the structure of the game is basically stealth section>human fight>flashback>infected fight repeat) and they go on for so long. I'll admit Abby's annoyed me more because I could not care about her million friends it is a very strange choice to characterize them after they're dead.

Also Abby's racial stereotype buddy is ???

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

mycot posted:

I've never had a single ludonarrative dissonance in any Uncharted but TLOU 2 has Ellie/Abby going full Commando even in

That is a load-bearing capital letter

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Kazzah posted:

lmao

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
who's got the voice acted hosed up little man tweet, twitter search is complete poo poo and I can't find it

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

screaden posted:

who's got the voice acted hosed up little man tweet, twitter search is complete poo poo and I can't find it

https://twitter.com/PsiHypo/status/1403406303792406533

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

haha, yes! Thanks

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Kazzah posted:

I knew what I was walking into but could word things no other way

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ausgoons

If you like Persona and feel like Dancing All Night, the Persona Dancing: Endless Night digital collection with all three games is currently discounted down from $178AUD to $33.99AUD on the PSN store.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Arist has posted that tweet multiple times now when it’s been asked for and that poo poo is a legitimate public service just sayin

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Stevie Lee posted:

As far as Occupied Palestine goes Druckman is prolly center of the road liberal, which means in general he makes the rather milquetoast moral equivalencies we are all too familiar with in the US. That said, since he's talking about personal experiences to media, all one has to do is look at the SA 9/11 thread to see how fast normal people who are young and lack context will go off the deep end when witnessing violence. I also just think the story of 2LOU has more nuance than this particular germinating idea.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Arist has posted that tweet multiple times now when it’s been asked for and that poo poo is a legitimate public service just sayin

Hella good tweet. It's the first thing in the Elden Ring thread OP if you lost track of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Stevie Lee posted:

at least the gameplay still feels great for whenever they finally add multiplayer (lol)

Genuinely don’t understand why an adult man recounting an experience from his youth where something made him angry and then later regretting those feelings as an adult with a greater context for the situation would give you pause, this is one of the reasons why I think Druckman makes good, thought provoking games with compelling stories. Do you think a 14 year old growing up in Israel is supposed to have perfect politics at that age?

(I’m Jewish, I’m 100% anti-Israeli occupation of Palestinian lands, gently caress Apartheid Israel)

I also think people accusing Manny of being an ethnic stereotype are entirely too online. The idea that no ethnicity can ever be portrayed as flirtatious or swarthy is immature and harmful IMO.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Oct 15, 2021