Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

But has the garage angle been calculated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-bmw-540i-touring-13/

Just lol.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I was thinking about trading my 135 in for a GR86, but maybe I'll just hang onto it for a few more years and sell it for the same price I bought it for on bring a trailer.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Somewhat Heroic posted:

color me SURPRISED!

one day BMW will figure out how to source a rod bearing worth a drat.

Woof

Mine is a week 27 build, so July 5th. So far I'm crossing my fingers. Supposedly the UK site will show a recall on affected VINs.

https://www.bmw.co.uk/en/footer/quick-links/bmw-vehicle-recalls.html

Mine isn't flagging yet. Gonna keep an eye on it though.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

There's nothing wrong with that price for that car given a very specific buyer, the current market, inflation, and it looks like the swap was proper. For reference, a well-documented but high-mileage TiAg automatic I was looking at about 10 years ago on BC coils and Schnitzer Type 2s was asking ~7.

Now, style 32 wheels are a crime against humanity, but, you've only got so many options on e39s.

Nice price for the right buyer IMO.

Crunchy Black fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 10, 2021

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Crunchy Black posted:

There's nothing wrong with that price for that car given a very specific buyer, the current market, inflation, and it looks like the swap was proper. For reference, a well-documented but high-mileage TiAg automatic I was looking at about 10 years ago on BC coils and Schnitzer Type 2s was asking ~7.

Now, style 32 wheels are a crime against humanity, but, you've only got so many options on e39s.

Nice price for the right buyer IMO.

Missed it was a swap, but yeah, a regular 540 wagon with 150k miles is worth about 10k in my mind.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

KillHour posted:

You loving what? This literally means I'm going to need a new engine doesn't it
People on Bimmerpost say that dealers have been told they’ll be getting replacement parts and the repair will either be done at the port or at the dealer.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mr. Apollo posted:

People on Bimmerpost say that dealers have been told they’ll be getting replacement parts and the repair will either be done at the port or at the dealer.

You think I trust the dealership to tear down and rebuild an engine?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
"it's just a 'main bearing shell', how complicated could it be??"

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I hope they send just the shell and expect the dealership to extract all the other parts and press the bearing back together.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

KillHour posted:

You think I trust the dealership to tear down and rebuild an engine?
That’s what everyone over there is saying too. Supposedly some people are cancelling their orders.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I mean, just think about how many BMW dealerships there are and compare that to the number of people who are definitely qualified to completely rebuild an S58. Unless they're going to be flying techs in for this, I'm skeptical they won't just end up with a bunch of blown engines from improperly torqued bolts or contamination.

When the Ford dealership (largest one in NY state!) did the headgasket recall on my FoRS, they didn't properly clip on the intake piping between the turbo and the intake manifold and it came apart a few days later. By sheer happenstance, I was literally a block away from the dealership when it happened so I could limp it in and demand they fix it because the thing was completely undrivable, oscillating wildly between 1k and 5k RPM with no throttle input. If I had to pay to get it towed, I would have been pissed.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

KillHour posted:

I mean, just think about how many BMW dealerships there are and compare that to the number of people who are definitely qualified to completely rebuild an S58. Unless they're going to be flying techs in for this, I'm skeptical they won't just end up with a bunch of blown engines from improperly torqued bolts or contamination.

When the Ford dealership (largest one in NY state!) did the headgasket recall on my FoRS, they didn't properly clip on the intake piping between the turbo and the intake manifold and it came apart a few days later. By sheer happenstance, I was literally a block away from the dealership when it happened so I could limp it in and demand they fix it because the thing was completely undrivable, oscillating wildly between 1k and 5k RPM with no throttle input. If I had to pay to get it towed, I would have been pissed.
I know, finding someone who not only knows what they're doing but is also willing to take the time to check and re-check tolerances, lube up everything properly, and keep everything extremely clean at most dealers is a tough task. Realistically they'll probably give it to the new person to do in between doing CPO checks on off lease MINIs.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
"Here are the instructions, the factory says it takes one hour."

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Before engine assembly and marriage, sure.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Lol my dealer couldn't even handle a radiator replacement on my m2c, they hosed something up and it pissed coolant all over my engine bay.

I'd just rather have a different car if it needed an engine rebuild.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

But we all know those Germans are way over meticulous. So let's say half an hour. There's several of them here that need it done. I'm going to go home now and when I come in tomorrow morning I will assume that they are all completed and won't be looking for the parts that I'm giving you nor the ones that you remove.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

KillHour posted:

The last good 3 series always was and always will be whatever the current 3 series is -1

Nobody will ever say that the F30 was a good 3 series.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
My friend and I met up over the weekend - he's got the E90 with an incredible exhaust system - did a nice rip through some upstate NY roads.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

kimcicle posted:

:hai:

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

kimcicle posted:

Eh the LCI was pretty solid, fixed up some of the front end slop and brought us the B58 so I'm not sure that's true.

What hurt the F30 was the fact that BMW didn't have a real entry level car until the last couple of years to compete with the A3/CLA so it tried to make the 320i that car. It's the same reason the C class has gotten so much better the last couple of generations.

The lease special 320i loaner that I had was the definition of a penalty box. I would have never ever purchased that instead of a Camry.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Voltage posted:

My friend and I met up over the weekend - he's got the E90 with an incredible exhaust system - did a nice rip through some upstate NY roads.

The M2 really is the new M3. That thing looks massive next to yours.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

Are we looking at the same picture? :confused:

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

Uh what?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
They are fairly close in size and I believe the weight is nearly identical.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

It's probably perspective doing most of it, but the roof line looks decently lower (maybe an illusion because of the non body colored roof), and with the M2 having a wider body also makes it look lower. And the front of the M2 recedes more quickly. Not being as long also helps.

Here's a picture for a better comparison between the two:

It's definitely mostly down to perspective though:

Also on a smaller screen the size difference is more pronounced.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

kronix posted:

Eh the LCI was pretty solid, fixed up some of the front end slop and brought us the B58 so I'm not sure that's true.

What hurt the F30 was the fact that BMW didn't have a real entry level car until the last couple of years to compete with the A3/CLA so it tried to make the 320i that car. It's the same reason the C class has gotten so much better the last couple of generations.

The lease special 320i loaner that I had was the definition of a penalty box. I would have never ever purchased that instead of a Camry.

The 1 Series is the direct competitor to the A3/A Class and is very, very popular.

Then again this is the difference between the US and Europe; over here the 320i is considered a fast car. I believe the most popular BMW in the UK over the last few years is the 116d.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Lord Ludikrous posted:

The 1 Series is the direct competitor to the A3/A Class and is very, very popular.

Then again this is the difference between the US and Europe; over here the 320i is considered a fast car. I believe the most popular BMW in the UK over the last few years is the 116d.

We don't get the 1 series in the US, just the 2 series

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

It's probably perspective doing most of it, but the roof line looks decently lower (maybe an illusion because of the non body colored roof), and with the M2 having a wider body also makes it look lower. And the front of the M2 recedes more quickly. Not being as long also helps.

Here's a picture for a better comparison between the two:

It's definitely mostly down to perspective though:

Also on a smaller screen the size difference is more pronounced.

I mean you arent wrong about the M2 is the successor in terms of feel, but the comparison is basically equal with e90, its f80/g80 where it really becomes more pronounced like your first post said

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
As has been noted the E9x M3 and the M2 are virtually identical in dimensions and weight. Even the seating position is nearly the same.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

rscott posted:

We don't get the 1 series in the US, just the 2 series

Because Americans want big CUVs instead of hatchbacks.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I was pleased to discover that the M340 is actually 1" narrower than the M2C, with more ground clearance to boot

Gonna be no sweat at all parking that bad boy in the garage every night

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Lord Ludikrous posted:

As others have noted, the 1 series isn’t a thing in the US.

I’m not saying the 320i was a bad car, but the way most dealers ordered them here were the $329/month 0 down lease specials with halogen headlights, cheap lovely wheels and awful interiors.

I have a sneaking suspicion the average 320i in Europe was fairly well equipped.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Ether Frenzy posted:

As has been noted the E9x M3 and the M2 are virtually identical in dimensions and weight. Even the seating position is nearly the same.
the E92 328 is the same weight and HP and similar dimensions to the E36 M3, but i understand from vigorous protestations in this thread that they handle quite differently

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

kronix posted:

As others have noted, the 1 series isn’t a thing in the US.

I’m not saying the 320i was a bad car, but the way most dealers ordered them here were the $329/month 0 down lease specials with halogen headlights, cheap lovely wheels and awful interiors.

I have a sneaking suspicion the average 320i in Europe was fairly well equipped.

In the absence of hard data I can only go by personal experience which suggests your suspicion is correct. My understanding of the US market is the 320i is right at the bottom of the range BMW offers. Over here (varies by country) you also have the 318i and 316i (and 318d and 316d), and those tend to be the bottom spec ones.

Plus there’s also sorts of taxes and costs you get with increasing list prices and emissions, and the 320i/320d sit right in that sweet spot of having plenty of power for day to day use but not getting raked over the coals for it.

Why is the standard of what determines a “powerful car” so much higher in the US anyway? Or is it just internet tryhards and enthusiasts with inherent biases that skew the perception somewhat?

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Cause our country is so much bigger so you need more vrooms to travel it faster at 70mph

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

The US has never had the displacement-, emissions-, or power-based taxes that much of the ROW does. Easy post-war economic prosperity and fewer space constraints in suburban living meant that USDM cars have always been larger, heavier, and more powerful. That cultural experience carries over into the present and informs what we think of as a "powerful car"

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
You need more power to pull out in front of someone and not even go the speed limit.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I was pleased to discover that the M340 is actually 1" narrower than the M2C, with more ground clearance to boot

Gonna be no sweat at all parking that bad boy in the garage every night

Congrats on your tiny house purchase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Last new Dinan E9X N52 exhaust installed, mostly worked other than needing a fat stack of washers to get around the bracing, hilarious to me they just banged in the stock exhaust pipe to make it fit around the rear bracing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2Ke1avqhOc