Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

huh posted:

Is there better 3rd person combat in gaming than FROM?

Witcher 3 is janky as.

The closest anything came was Jedi Knight 2 imo and it’s quite janky looking back on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

huh posted:

I love the good Devils May Cry and most of the Platinumgames catalog, but those are a very different kind of combat. From absolutely dominates their lane.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

huh posted:

Witcher 3 is janky as.

Oni :whatup:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

huh posted:

Witcher 3 is janky as.

there are some third person shooters i'd take over them but it's kinda apples to oranges

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Monster hunter has the best 3rd person combat for me, but thats a different genre and all that

Souls combat isn't exactly mindblowing. Its more a combination of great level design, enemy design, character build variety, etc. Combined with good combat that makes souls great.

Now sekiro, that game had amazing combat

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
Im very excited to get my hands on this game.

Is there a pre-order edition?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Nioh 2 is pretty good combat wise. On certain days I may say it’s better than FROMs stuff

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Monster Hunter is a good comparison, it's a totally different game but the combat has some striking similarities. Big bosses and Japanese-style controls that favor commitment and a sense of weight over responsiveness. Feels clunky at first but when you learn how to drive the thing you start feeling really powerful.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Dragon's Dogma is also a favorite but it has been a long time since they made one.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

The new God of War isn't as deep and a lot more forgiving, but it's pretty fun. A lot more cooldowns/quicktime action sort of stuff.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

wedgie deliverer posted:

The new God of War isn't as deep and a lot more forgiving, but it's pretty fun. A lot more cooldowns/quicktime action sort of stuff.

I like the combat system but the camera is way WAY too close to Kratos. So much so that they had to include distracting arrows that point out when someone is behind you

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

AnEdgelord posted:

I like the combat system but the camera is way WAY too close to Kratos. So much so that they had to include distracting arrows that point out when someone is behind you

The close camera perspective also means enemies have to be programmed to almost ignore you as soon as your back is turned towards them.

I think maybe batman and spiderman would be a good third person combat game? They're doing very different things off course.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Monster hunter has the best 3rd person combat for me, but thats a different genre and all that

Souls combat isn't exactly mindblowing. Its more a combination of great level design, enemy design, character build variety, etc. Combined with good combat that makes souls great.

Now sekiro, that game had amazing combat

Sekiro is on another level from literally everything, but I'd say Bloodsouls already had great combat if only because FROM distilled, simplified, and standardized it within the industry into something that's both responsive and elegantly simple wrt controller layout. Before DeS and DS1 came along nobody was regularly using the shoulder buttons as primaries in a way that worked or made sense. It's a lovely solution, and while Monhun's combat is mega dope as you mentioned (and influential on Bloodsouls itself), it is neither simple nor intuitive. Monhun never made the jump away from face button action interfering with camera control, so I'd say it's a bit more archaic and specialized. FROM titles are the very definition of niche content tightly interfacing with broad accessibility.

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
Middle-Earth: Shadow of War kind of ended the Arkham Asylum-style combat genre for me. It's very very rare that I replay games for the combat alone, but I've 100%'d the game several times now. Paper Mario: TTYD and FromSoft games are the only other non-roguelite examples I can come up with off the top of my head that have planted that "have I beaten this game in the last year or two? I could probably do another playthrough" seed.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

ninja magician

loving picture those words

I was thinking a ranger magician because why not cast a firestorm then shoot monsters languishing in it?

Tsushima has amazing 3rd person combat from a spectacle and responsiveness standpoint.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

ninja power ranger magician

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Depending on how you mean combat, then Spider-man is extremely fluid and fun to create combos and make special moves. I rank that very highly.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Grayshift posted:

Middle-Earth: Shadow of War kind of ended the Arkham Asylum-style combat genre for me. It's very very rare that I replay games for the combat alone, but I've 100%'d the game several times now. Paper Mario: TTYD and FromSoft games are the only other non-roguelite examples I can come up with off the top of my head that have planted that "have I beaten this game in the last year or two? I could probably do another playthrough" seed.

Arkham City to me is the peak of that style of combat. It's a perfect mix of fluidity and variation in enemy types, requiring tight reactions to a variety of different situations, with the potential of getting some very cool long combos. The new Spider Man games are pretty good, though I not quite as good as Arkham City was (in terms of combat).

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah, I loved the Spider-Man game but it also reminded me just how incredible combat in Arkham City (and Asylum and Knight and even Origins) was. It wouldn't suit Dark Souls style games at all but man it was a blast to play.

If Elden Ring incorporates elements of Sekiro combat I'm really excited, because that was just so much fun to play AND looked absolutely beautiful.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

there are some third person shooters i'd take over them but it's kinda apples to oranges

Third person shooters are an abomination.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Vanquish.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Uncharted? C'mon. One of the best IPs to come out in the ps3/360 generation, after Souls of course. Not that thats a long list

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Uncharted is a fun spectacle, but none of those games have good combat.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Yeah I dont think I ever played an Uncharted game where I was excited to get in a shootout. It was more about the spectacular set pieces.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

UC2 multiplayer was peak ps3, it was amazing and fun and I wish there was an equivalent on PC. But yes pve combat could be a little cheap and on-rails sometimes.

Sum Gai
Mar 23, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

Does your definition of "third person shooter" not include Resident Evil 4? Because it sounds like you just dismissed one of the games that justifies humanity's existence.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Sum Gai posted:

Does your definition of "third person shooter" not include Resident Evil 4? Because it sounds like you just dismissed one of the games that justifies humanity's existence.

Woulda been better as an FPS like every TPS.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Sum Gai posted:

Does your definition of "third person shooter" not include Resident Evil 4? Because it sounds like you just dismissed the only game that justified the gamecubes existence.

ftfy

After playing through RE7, as a diehard m&kb/FPS guy I'm not ready to say that FPS is the way RE should be played

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
We all know the best 3rd person melee combat game is/was

Godhand

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Mesadoram posted:

We all know the best 3rd person melee combat game is/was

the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles arcade game

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

I can hear the theme song...

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

codo27 posted:

ftfy

After playing through RE7, as a diehard m&kb/FPS guy I'm not ready to say that FPS is the way RE should be played

As someone who is also a diehard m&kb fps and played both RE7 and RE8 I am ready to say that FPS is the way RE should be played. Those game rule.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

But to answer the original question no nobody does it as good as From. Bloodborne is my favorite combat in any game ever.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
tank controls are a war crime and any game with them should be buried and forgotten

i'm talking about, like, Warframe or Horizon Zero Dawn

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
First person games are generally garbage compared to third person games wtf is wrong you people

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

fridge corn posted:

First person games are generally garbage compared to third person games wtf is wrong you people

:chloe:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Fromsoft need to make another first person dungeon crawler. Not that I’m not fond of the crazy character action direction they’ve been going lately but give me something slower and more atmospheric/claustrophobic pls

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

skasion posted:

Fromsoft need to make another first person dungeon crawler. Not that I’m not fond of the crazy character action direction they’ve been going lately but give me something slower and more atmospheric/claustrophobic pls

I would love another Kings Field/Dark Tower

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

fridge corn posted:

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acyclicity
Oct 27, 2008

A curious little mouse!
I think Sekiro has the best 3rd person combat, but DMC, the new(er) Ninja Gaidens, and other such games are comparably good.