Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Space Flower posted:

yeah i remember this, wasnt it the director of shirobako/gup himself

Nah, it was Horikawa.
https://twitter.com/horiken2000/status/710391206274945024?t=HQErsug52ICxTh44OAjL-Q&s=19

https://amp.reddit.com/r/anime/comments/4curn1/pa_works_ceo_kenji_horikawa_on_shirobako/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its an extremely strange thing to say because while shirobako wasnt a breakout hit in the west its not completely unknown either. its brought up fairly often for a decade old show thats had little supplementary material released since it came out.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
well, maybe they use sakura quest now

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Would me watching more shirobako like shows on Netflix help? Are there more shirobako like shows on Netflix?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

no because netflix will just use your money to fund more dave chappelle specials

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Space Flower posted:

well, maybe they use sakura quest now

:(

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TV Zombie posted:

Would me watching more shirobako like shows on Netflix help? Are there more shirobako like shows on Netflix?
not really and not really. like i said, its not like shirobako was unpopular in the west anyway, exactly. its about what netflix perceives as popular, not what actually is. shirobako probably did better than b the beginning but tehyd still order a dozen shows like b the beginning before they ordered one like shirobako.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Motto posted:

One of the PA works guys talked about going to a conference where shirobako was singled out as a "what not to do" for appealing to international audiences

Wow gently caress that

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i think channel wa sonomama is on netflix which is, a similar kind of thing to shirobako i guess. maybe not quite as inside basebally or as illuminating but its a fun show

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/gundamcel/status/1448416365199638528?s=20

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Posting your own tweets is a new low stair

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

GorfZaplen posted:

Posting your own tweets is a new low stair

It literally isn't, he's done it multiple times before!

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Better or worse than reposting his podcast tweets

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

'gundamcel'

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Aurora posted:

'gundamcel'

yeah, the things they use to make gundam animated

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Julias posted:

It literally isn't, he's done it multiple times before!

This is the first time I've paid attention to what he posts to notice...

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

imagine reading posts

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/VIZMedia/status/1446930941558067207?t=olkI44UAAVZ6X5nNJPBEtQ&s=19

Yugioh Spider-Man

Yugioh Spider-Man

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
normal egg nonpriority

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Please let the evil gaming magnate be revealed to be seto Kaiba

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Please let the Yugioh franchise die. I was ashamed I was a fan once I hit middle school.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Grouchio posted:

Please let the Yugioh franchise die. I was ashamed I was a fan once I hit middle school.
why? yugioh owns

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Endorph posted:

why? yugioh owns
Not the dub. Anything but the 4kids dub.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Grouchio posted:

Yugioh is fun and a bunch of friends and I still collect cards and play it from time to time .

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Grouchio posted:

Not the dub. Anything but the 4kids dub.
the 4kids dub is one of their better dubbing efforts tbh. some of the edits are a bit goofy and early on they add in a lot of lame puns but kaiba's written really well and most of the VAs seem sincerely invested in the material. its one of the better 90s anime dubs tbh.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

if they aren't going to license it for subtitled simulcast they may as well let it die

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Kaiba is amazing dubbed.

Mokuba, make sure Wheeler is late.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

its amazing how much funnier, the 4kids dub is than yugioh abridged. imagine getting destroyed by 4kids

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

homeless snail posted:

its amazing how much funnier, the 4kids dub is than yugioh abridged. imagine getting destroyed by 4kids

90% of the best jokes in abridged are literally just 4kids jokes but dragged out so theyre less funny

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Endorph posted:

90% of the best jokes in abridged are literally just 4kids jokes but dragged out so theyre less funny

Arc Hammer posted:

Kaiba is amazing dubbed.

Mokuba, make sure Wheeler is late.
i was looking for the clip that compares the 4kids and abridged versions of this scene but it has seemingly been destroyed from youtube, hosed up. where the tas version is literally just him reading the joke verbatim from the 4kids script, and then making the same joke 5 more times, its lame!!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

homeless snail posted:

4kids is good tbh.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMFyA6mO0Ww

this is my favorite kaiba line. just the delivery is perfect

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

4kids is good tbh.

Tbh aside from One Piece which iirc was basically foisted on to them they just seem like every anime dubber in the 90’s that wasn’t doing poo poo for Toonami it’s just that they dubbed the most stuff back then so they’re the most infamous. Or at least that’s how it seems.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

4kids are amazing just for taking a single second long joke in the japanese version of the kirby anime where the last 3 seconds of the op have dedede on screen, and expanding it into an entire dedede version of the dub op

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJgjkDTV-eo

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

There's a charm to a 4kids dub and I'm glad they still exist in some form to dub Yu-Gi-Oh.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm sorry, I'm just not capable of forgiving them for "Zolo"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Link Evolution is a kinda bad product and some of that is because it doesn't have any voices at all. Duel Links has everyone, you can fire that up and get an earful of Dan Green anytime you want and I hope Master Duels also does that.

also

https://twitter.com/themattcastro/status/1191699865484414977

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Arist posted:

I'm sorry, I'm just not capable of forgiving them for "Zolo"

But he's just like a samurai

But also yeah its very weird that the manga still has to use Zolo for some reason

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I finished the hit new meme show "Squid Game"

It was epic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I sometimes think about how the 4kids version of Bistro Recipe (Fighting Foodons) appears to legitimately be the only complete footage of that show on the internet. There's one clip on youtube of the raw Japanese and that's about it.