Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Well, to be fair there was only the one village that got completely obliterated. Usually they drop stages on villages but don't kill everybody, so it's fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I seem to recall the main risk was people rushing out to pick through the somewhat radioactive debris of toxic material and gasses for scrap metal.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't think there's anything radioactive, but they have monopropellants which tend to be hilariously toxic. You really don't want to be anywhere near an expended rocket stage.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme
What if you put your hands behind your back and just stand there gawping

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Darkest Auer posted:

What if you put your hands behind your back and just stand there gawping

Then you'd get emphysema from either the oxidizer, the rocket fuel, or some other aerosolized part of the go-so-fast-it-falls-into-space machine complex.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Grand Fromage posted:

I don't think there's anything radioactive, but they have monopropellants which tend to be hilariously toxic. You really don't want to be anywhere near an expended rocket stage.

From what I understand, China's launch program still uses Hydrazine for it's third stage and will for the foreseeable future. Hydrazine is an absolutely fantastic rocket propellant but it is also caustic, corrosive, dissolves all sorts of things, produces poisoness vapors if exposed to the air, and explodes on contact with human skin.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
dont forget that spilling a blotch of hydrazine on your hand will lead to a blotch sized hand cancer in like a week. that carcinogenic

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The third stage should be for orbital manoeuvres and therefore not falling back to earth without burning up...?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yep. There's nothing wrong with using hydrazine, everybody does it and it has lots of non-propellant uses too. But other places tend to make an effort to, you know, not drop tanks of it on random citizens.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Ok that's what I'm confused about. If they're not using LOX and RP-1 then holy poo poo... but wiki says every Long March used since 2015 has been that mixture.

Also:

quote:

There is no Long March 10.
What pun were they avoiding?

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

To be fair the Soviets/Russians launch a bunch of rockets out of Kazakhstan, but the area's so remote that it tends not to land on much (usually).

On a different note, this is a couple months old but pretty interesting; https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/06/21/learning-to-ski-in-a-country-of-beginners

I'm more in tune with the skiing side than the China side of things, curious if anyone here has experienced winter sports in China.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

therobit posted:

What abominations are served at pizza joints in China? In Japan I was subjected to corn Mayo pizza and Bonita flake and mushroom pizza.

I like these things

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

LostCosmonaut posted:

On a different note, this is a couple months old but pretty interesting; https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2021/06/21/learning-to-ski-in-a-country-of-beginners

What's this guy's obsession with what brand of cigarettes everyone is smoking?

CIGNX
May 7, 2006

You can trust me
It seems like the boosters are the most common part to fall onto villages. I can't find anything definitive, but Wikipedia says the fuel is hypergolic

https://twitter.com/Cosmic_Penguin/status/951718600192110592

https://twitter.com/latestinspace/status/1406208120771256320

CIGNX fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Oct 13, 2021

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

LostCosmonaut posted:

To be fair the Soviets/Russians launch a bunch of rockets out of Kazakhstan, but the area's so remote that it tends not to land on much (usually).

Yeah, and China has a launch site out in the desert that doesn't cause issues. The village drops are all from the launches in Sichuan IIRC, which is heavily populated.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

The junk collector posted:

... explodes on contact with human skin.

Big deal, so do I.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Then you'd get emphysema from either the oxidizer, the rocket fuel, or some other aerosolized part of the go-so-fast-it-falls-into-space machine complex.

Kan re n-OW!

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

peanut posted:

I like these things

Please tell me you don’t eat pizza, or anything else really, at The Gusto chain of restaurants.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

LostCosmonaut posted:

I'm more in tune with the skiing side than the China side of things, curious if anyone here has experienced winter sports in China.

Reminded me of the Finnish guy who was coaching the Chinese ski jump team but got shitcanned recently for focusing on results instead of focusing on being mean to the athletes.

E: I say coaching, but apparently he built the entire team up from non-ski-jumpers in three years. It'll be interesting to see them in the Olympics.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Oct 14, 2021

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

therobit posted:

Please tell me you don’t eat pizza, or anything else really, at The Gusto chain of restaurants.

Gusto is where I might go at 5am on a road trip. It is not great.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?

LostCosmonaut posted:

The finnish coach for China's ski-jumping team got fired last week for not being brutal enough on his team.
article in finnish but it should translate pretty well
https://yle.fi/urheilu/3-12129288

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Skiing in S. Korea was an interesting experience. Everyone would rent out complete outfits, goggles, gloves, boots, poles and skis, then never leave the chalet except for a selfie infront of the lift.

The parking lot was packed, the chalet a mosh pit, but the slopes nearly abandoned.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I went to school with the son of a super-high-up Sony VIP. On the annual school ski-trip he dropped easily 5 grand on top of the line gear, ate poo poo on his first run down the bunny slope, and then walked back to the chalet and stayed there until we had to leave.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
It's amazing how much Asia loves looking good instead of actually doing the thing.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Can't go hiking (walking up a paved staircase on a hill) unless you've dropped at least five million won on specialized neon gear. Look at these crazy foreigners just wearing normal clothes!

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Fromage posted:

Can't go hiking (walking up a paved staircase on a hill) unless you've dropped at least five million won on specialized neon gear. Look at these crazy foreigners just wearing normal clothes!

"Mountain climbing" doesn't translate well.

Bonus points for the boyfriends who have to carry up the SLR camera along with tripod.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Grand Fromage posted:

That weird hiking "uniform" that I only ever saw in Korea is one of my main memories from living there.

Also, it was generally middle aged women who were dressed like that, and in my memory, it was always paired with a bucket hat.

And don't forget the special hiking sticks that people would carry.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

LostCosmonaut posted:

I never experienced skiing there but this passage spoke to me:

quote:

Sometimes I saw parents or grandparents in loafers and heels, standing on either side of a child on rented skis. The adults would shuffle in the snow, holding the kid upright; because of the free admission for children, it was a low-cost way to spend an afternoon.

Beside the magic carpet, warning signs illustrated some of the stunts that people must have pulled here. One sign featured a stick figure who appeared to be lying down and taking a nap on the conveyor belt.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Forceholy posted:

It's amazing how much Asia loves looking good instead of actually doing the thing.

look good, feel good

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

BrigadierSensible posted:

That weird hiking "uniform" that I only ever saw in Korea is one of my main memories from living there.

Also, it was generally middle aged women who were dressed like that, and in my memory, it was always paired with a bucket hat.

And don't forget the special hiking sticks that people would carry.

You haven't seen hiking sticks used elsewhere? They're really good, especially if you're carrying a big pack. It can take a lot of pressure off your feet and legs on uneven trails!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Beartaco posted:

You haven't seen hiking sticks used elsewhere? They're really good, especially if you're carrying a big pack. It can take a lot of pressure off your feet and legs on uneven trails!

Yeah but in Korea people just have them while walking up stairs because it's part of the uniform. Nobody's carrying a big pack or going up trails.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Beartaco posted:

As said immediately above, I have seen hiking sticks, and they can be useful if you are going on a proper arduous hike.

What I saw in Korea were middle aged women carrying what looked like expensive poles with a spike on the end as they power walked up a slight hill.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

On the opposite end of hiking fashion, one of the things I liked about living in Vancouver was seeing Chinese tourists doing the Grouse Grind dressed like they were on the set of Crazy Rich Asians.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Microsoft shutting down LinkedIn in China [BBCNews]

Microsoft is shutting down its social network, LinkedIn, in China, saying having to comply with the Chinese state has become increasingly challenging.

It comes after the career-networking site faced questions for blocking the profiles of some journalists.

LinkedIn will launch a jobs-only version of the site, called InJobs, later this year.

But this will not include a social feed or the ability to share or post articles.

LinkedIn senior vice-president Mohak Shroff blogged: "We're facing a significantly more challenging operating environment and greater compliance requirements in China."

And the firm said in a statement: "While we are going to sunset the localised version of LinkedIn in China later this year, we will continue to have a strong presence in China to drive our new strategy and are excited to launch the new InJobs app later this year."

'Gross appeasement'
    LinkedIn had been the only major Western social-media platform operating in China.

When it launched there, in 2014, it had agreed to adhere to the requirements of the Chinese government in order to operate there, but also promised to be transparent about how it conducted business in the country and said it disagreed with government censorship.

Recently, LinkedIn blacklisted several journalist accounts, including those of Melissa Chan and Greg Bruno, from its China-based website.

Mr Bruno, who has written a book documenting China's treatment of Tibetan refugees, told Verdict he was not surprised the Chinese Communist Party did not like it but was "dismayed that an American tech company is caving into the demands of a foreign government".

US senator Rick Scott called the move a "gross appeasement and an act of submission to Communist China", in a letter to LinkedIn chief executive Ryan Roslansky and Microsoft boss Satya Nadella.

---

Apple takes down Koran app in China [BBCNews]

Apple has taken down one of the world's most popular Koran apps in China, following a request from officials.

Quran Majeed is available across the world on the App Store - and has nearly 150,000 reviews. It is used by millions of Muslims.

The BBC understands that the app was removed for hosting illegal religious texts.

The Chinese government has not responded to the BBC's request for comment.

The deletion of the app was first noticed by Apple Censorship - a website that monitors apps on Apple's App Store globally.

In a statement from the app's maker, PDMS, the company said: "According to Apple, our app Quran Majeed has been removed from the China App store because it includes content that requires additional documentation from Chinese authorities".

"We are trying to get in touch with the Cyberspace Administration of China and relevant Chinese authorities to get this issue resolved".

The company said it had close to one million users in China.

The Chinese Communist Party officially recognises Islam as a religion in the country.

However, China has been accused of human rights violations, and even genocide, against the mostly Muslim Uyghur ethnic group in Xinjiang.

Earlier this year the BBC reported that Uyghur imams had been targeted in China's Xinjiang crackdown.

Apple declined to comment, but directed the BBC to its Human Rights Policy, which states: "We're required to comply with local laws, and at times there are complex issues about which we may disagree with governments."

However, it is not clear what rules the app has broken in China. Quran Majeed says it is "trusted by over 35 million Muslims globally".

Man do corporations suck.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I'm honestly surprised that Linkedin lasted as long as it did.

User-generated content sites can pick at most two of "uncensored", "in China", and "popular".

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Does the CCP have its own sanitized version of the Quran like they do with the Bible?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Devils Affricate posted:

Does the CCP have its own sanitized version of the Quran like they do with the Bible?

Please tell me more about the CCP-approved Bible stuff.

Serious question. I have not heard about it, and it sounds both interesting, and the kind of thing the CCP would do.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I found a nice new utub channel from an architect, one video broached the subject of China making hospitals for COVID at high speed. Surprisingly only one China comment remains and they put in an excessive amount of effort.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyOUNzrLRmU

This is certainly a weird spin on ghost towns:

Nerium Oleander posted:

Since 1950, China has built 600 cities with populations over a million and a few have given rise to stories of ‘ghost towns’. But real ghost towns are communities that have died, while China’s empty towns are signs of approaching birth, not death, as author Wade Shepard, who has visited most of them, attests, “I’ve been chasing reports of deserted towns around China and have yet to find one. Over and over, I would read articles in the international press claiming that China is building towns that are never inhabited–only to find something very different upon arrival. The New South China Mall had a lot of empty shops but, by the time I arrived, it turned out to be a thriving entertainment center; Dantu showed me that an initially stagnant new town can become populated and come alive and I found that Xinyang’s new district, called a ‘ghost town’ since 2010, hasn’t even been built yet”.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

Uh... a lot of those ghost cities *have* filled up, though? Everyone still jokes about Shanghai Pudong, The Land Of Wind And Ghosts, but it's actually just another satellite town with a bad rep now.

The original reports weren't lies - many areas were (are) massively overbuilt, and took/take years to fill up. But most of them do get used eventually.

I guess it's a cultural thing. In China people don't really see an issue with building extra housing and seeing it unused for years. In the West, people don't really see an issue with *not* building extra housing even as popular cities get priced out of reach of normal people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Atopian posted:

Uh... a lot of those ghost cities *have* filled up, though? Everyone still jokes about Shanghai Pudong, The Land Of Wind And Ghosts, but it's actually just another satellite town with a bad rep now.

The original reports weren't lies - many areas were (are) massively overbuilt, and took/take years to fill up. But most of them do get used eventually.

I guess it's a cultural thing. In China people don't really see an issue with building extra housing and seeing it unused for years. In the West, people don't really see an issue with *not* building extra housing even as popular cities get priced out of reach of normal people.

Corrupt local officals filling their pockets with developer RMB, or 50+ year old NIMBYs who really don't give a poo poo about anything besides how it might effect them? Less evil / great evil?