Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Speaking of musicals, who here remembers Repo: The Genetic Opera?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vJoDmZxfMo
Warning: this ends up going to some dark places (actual ones in real life, not the edgy set dressing of the movie) because of course it does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Solitair posted:

Warning: this ends up going to some dark places (actual ones in real life, not the edgy set dressing of the movie) because of course it does.

I didn't expect to have 'a little glass vial' stuck in my head but here we are and I really don't want it to be because the guy who did it is the worst.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
Hazel's got a video about an old Yume Nikki/earthbound-esque JRPG that came out before yume nikki actually came out????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dofobG4ZQs

(also I really love the way Hazel integrates her patreon credits in the middle of the video it's always really cool)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, yeah. I had Danger Mouse books here in the US. One dropped the tidbit (which might be from the show, I can't remember) that Baron Greenback's pet caterpillar Nero had 'sold his mother to a silk farm' and for some reason as a kid I thought that was hilarious.

I had one of the UK annuals which had a DM family tree in it that not only included the superb joke that one of his uncles "Went to Patagonia and never returned, as Gonias notoriously hate being patted" but also that his parents died in a climbing accident when he was a boy - just to make it clear that the writers weren't just Bond film fans, they'd read the books too.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
I haven’t seen any of Evan Hanson aside from what’s in Jenny’s video but that weird whispery falsetto that guy uses every time he starts to sing sounds exactly like Casey from Tim & Eric.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Learned a fun Cosgrove Hall fact the other week, Bernard Sumner was a tracer for them, before forming Joy Division and later New Order.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think they missed a golden opportunity by not doing a The Prisoner parody about a mouse voiced by David Jason who looks identical to Danger Mouse but never clarifies whether he is actually Danger Mouse or a new character.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Skippy McPants posted:

. It can sometimes feel that way because the atmosphere of the thread is relatively chill—

And people say goons don't tell jokes anymore.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

Solitair posted:

This is great. I'd never watched REPO but new it by reputation from friends, and I was fascinated.

She expresses pretty well the feelings I have about learning that someone who made something you love (or... affects you, in her case) is an abuser.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

jackofarcades posted:

This is great. I'd never watched REPO but new it by reputation from friends, and I was fascinated.

She expresses pretty well the feelings I have about learning that someone who made something you love (or... affects you, in her case) is an abuser.

Yeah, the speed at which she went through this reminds me of my reaction to the latest Marilyn Manson album.

My introduction to Repo was hearing about it on TV Tropes, and then reading the recap done by The Agony Booth, in which they called it "4-chan: The Musical."

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So I've been getting heavy into Civvii 11's backlog and I love hearing him talk about the history of 90s gaming.

Is there anyone else that covered talking about the history of 90s FPSs?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

BigRed0427 posted:

So I've been getting heavy into Civvii 11's backlog and I love hearing him talk about the history of 90s gaming.

Grimbeard doesn't specifically cover 90s FPSs but he's got a lot of 90s/early 00s in his catalogue.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

BigRed0427 posted:

Errant Signal's Children of Doom series.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Solitair posted:

Solitair posted:

Yeah, the speed at which she went through this reminds me of my reaction to the latest Marilyn Manson album.

My introduction to Repo was hearing about it on TV Tropes, and then reading the recap done by The Agony Booth, in which they called it "4-chan: The Musical."

Oh god, Repo, what a joyless slog of a movie. I saw it twice - once in a regular showing where I did not like it, but friends assured me it was "better with audience participation". The Audience Participation version is legitimately the only movie I ever decided to go out to the lobby and browse the internet for a break from most of the audience participation being one guy screaming "Stupid bitch" every time Paris Hilton was on screen.

Watching that video now, but being there at the time I think that generation was so desperate for their own Rocky Horror to get on the ground floor for (and that Buffy episode wasn't quite long enough) that they latched on to Repo and tried to cram it into that mold without the fandom growing organically. I had several friends join that, shadow cast and all, and by about a year later just about everyone forgot it had ever happened. Like Rocky Horror has its problems but at least it's fun/campy and has catchy songs, Repo was so... mean spirited, and it had one maybe two catchy songs and when it was bad, it wasn't so bad it's good, it was just boring.

Rocky Horror is one of the few exceptions to "you can't make it so bad it's good on purpose" because it was always supposed to be a send-up, and Repo tried to force it into that mold after the fact it seems. Seeing where this video is going already I can only imagine these things are the least of the problems.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jenny's Dear Evan Hansen video was good but man what a bunch of bizarre alterations to make for the movie version.

Honestly, I thought that the part where Evan sits down at the orchard and types out a new letter to himself was going to be where the movie ended at first.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

BigRed0427 posted:

Ahoy has done his fair share of coverage on older FPS like the id library.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

RareAcumen posted:

Jenny's Dear Evan Hansen video was good but man what a bunch of bizarre alterations to make for the movie version.

Honestly, I thought that the part where Evan sits down at the orchard and types out a new letter to himself was going to be where the movie ended at first.

They cut a whopping four songs and replace them with... nothing. The reasoning being they could focus on Evan more, which is bizarre since he's already the main-character.

It'll be harder to rag on this one compared to Cats. Since 'poorly-rendered cat-people gyrating' makes for a more lighthearted premise tthan 'creepy outsider fabricates frinehdship with suicide victim for social clout'.'

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvlWSsZwLn0

This has been floating around my recommended tab for a while so I finally watched it. Guy makes a very good argument for Luke and how he's a pretty unique hero when contrasted against characters ostensibly like him.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

They cut a whopping four songs and replace them with... nothing. The reasoning being they could focus on Evan more, which is bizarre since he's already the main-character.

It'll be harder to rag on this one compared to Cats. Since 'poorly-rendered cat-people gyrating' makes for a more lighthearted premise tthan 'creepy outsider fabricates frinehdship with suicide victim for social clout'.'

It's not hard to rag on Dear Evan Hansen, but outside of a premise that's tasteless-at-best, the adaption isn't a remarkable uncanny valley fever dream like Cats is. The thing is, Dear Evan Hansen trips and faceplants into every pitfall possible for a movie adaption of a musical, but a lot of other movies have done that, too.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

it feels unfair to compare works of conventional cinema to cats

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Solitair posted:

oh that isnt lindsey ellis

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Solitair posted:

I remember seeing this as a stupid myspace emo teen. Even back then it was just too cringy for me. "How is this worse and even more edgelord than Zombie Strippers?".

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Solitair posted:

i never saw it. i saw the cover a couple times in stores but it never was my thing. this is a great video though.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Farm Frenzy posted:

it feels unfair to compare works of conventional cinema to cats

It feels unfair to compare conventional cinema to musicals period. The only thing the Golden Globes got right is shuffling those off to a different category.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I have a half-unironic conspiracy theory that broadway keeps allowing these movie versions of their hit plays to happen even as it's shown multiple times how objectively difficult it is to get it right vs on stage because it gives them a case proof against allowing for recording of stage productions to be distributed. Oh we can't just record Dear Evan Hanson or Les Mis and sell that recording so everyone can enjoy it, look how bad those movies were!

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sarcopenia posted:

I remember seeing this as a stupid myspace emo teen. Even back then it was just too cringy for me. "How is this worse and even more edgelord than Zombie Strippers?".

I loved it... when I was 12. :v:

I watched it like three times with the other Weird Girls, but that's probably only more damning.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Oct 15, 2021

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

sexpig by night posted:

I have a half-unironic conspiracy theory that broadway keeps allowing these movie versions of their hit plays to happen even as it's shown multiple times how objectively difficult it is to get it right vs on stage because it gives them a case proof against allowing for recording of stage productions to be distributed. Oh we can't just record Dear Evan Hanson or Les Mis and sell that recording so everyone can enjoy it, look how bad those movies were!

I pray that the Broadway containment fields hold. These leaks have been concerning.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
Repo was absolutely huge with a certain subset of edgy young people. I remember being in community college a year or two after it came out and having peers that did shadow casting for it in the next town over. I never got into it myself because the gore aspects put me off :shrug:

The channel that did that video has some other good content too, I watched one bit she did chronicling every Swan Princess sequel. Not only did it go the Land Before Time route with the wholly unnecessary continuation but apparently they also turned it into... 3D animated Christian propaganda, of all things

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Famethrowa posted:

oh that isnt lindsey ellis

I thought about making a "mirror universe Lindsay Ellis" joke so I'm glad it wasn't just me who had that reaction.

Blood Nightmaster posted:

The channel that did that video has some other good content too, I watched one bit she did chronicling every Swan Princess sequel. Not only did it go the Land Before Time route with the wholly unnecessary continuation but apparently they also turned it into... 3D animated Christian propaganda, of all things

https://twitter.com/jennyenicholson/status/1250203222213443584

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

I buy it.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

conceptually I get it, but cats has a stage recording that's...I mean, a 100 times better than the movie but still not very good because the spectacle of going to cats in the theater is like 3/4s the point of cats

i think it just comes down way more to "theater is a different game from movies and you have to go in understanding that, and basically no one who makes them actually does"

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
I recommend watching cats after eating a couple of tabs of lsd or a few pods of Datura, really livens up the experience

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

stillvisions posted:

It's probably a weird follow-up to a semi-hit record produced by a cult non-traditional religious group that still operates.

Like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Road_to_Freedom_(L._Ron_Hubbard_album) or something the International Society for Krishna Consciousness put out.

Surprisingly close - https://twitter.com/ShadowTodd/status/1449272898477170695

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvlWSsZwLn0

This has been floating around my recommended tab for a while so I finally watched it. Guy makes a very good argument for Luke and how he's a pretty unique hero when contrasted against characters ostensibly like him.

On the one hand, nothing this dude says in the video is exactly wrong, but on the other I've found myself increasingly becoming sick of the YouTube hagiography of Star Wars in general, so by the end of the video I felt like I was gonna throw up.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
i appreciate a video about star wars not being longer than the movie, at least. those are rare!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Max did a couple streams where he went over all the smash character reveal trailers for both the WiiU smash and Ultimate. fun to see the major reveals back then vs the ones in ultimate. I didn't really pay attention to smash WiiU and only heard about the characters being added but never saw most of the trailers, but I remember seeing the Megaman and Cloud trailers and being blown away especially by the latter getting into smash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPkdTrSA1KE&hd=1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT7hmgUfSNg&hd=1

and while it's up, some stuff he didn't add to the youtube version of the WiiU trailers, like going back and watching his own cloud trailer reaction where apparently his reaction is the only one that exists that recognized what was going on instantly lol
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1175295945?t=1h46m37s

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

TheFlyingLlama posted:

conceptually I get it, but cats has a stage recording that's...I mean, a 100 times better than the movie but still not very good because the spectacle of going to cats in the theater is like 3/4s the point of cats

i think it just comes down way more to "theater is a different game from movies and you have to go in understanding that, and basically no one who makes them actually does"

It's funny because pro-shots seem to be reliably very good. Like, in recent memory, Hamilton (whatever you think of the underlying musical) and especially Come From Away had solid camera work that got the emotions of the show across. And I'm skeptical that Come From Away would work as a proper movie at all.

I'm hoping the long shutdown on Broadway and success of Hamilton leads to more pro-shots of recent shows, because touring productions aren't the same as original casts in their broadway venues...which cuts both ways. It also means a pro-cam won't substitute for a ticket when the show rolls into town.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Captain Invictus posted:

and while it's up, some stuff he didn't add to the youtube version of the WiiU trailers, like going back and watching his own cloud trailer reaction where apparently his reaction is the only one that exists that recognized what was going on instantly lol
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1175295945?t=1h46m37s

I feel like most people started watching that trailer, saw the stars and thought "WOLF" since he was the big character people wanted back that didn't return. So people didn't really pay attention to the music literally until the logos started appearing cause people started hyping themselves up on Wolf

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Macaluso posted:

I feel like most people started watching that trailer, saw the stars and thought "WOLF" since he was the big character people wanted back that didn't return. So people didn't really pay attention to the music literally until the logos started appearing cause people started hyping themselves up on Wolf

Were people really that hyped up for Wolf? A minor character from a fourth string Nintendo franchise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Gripweed posted:

Were people really that hyped up for Wolf? A minor character from a fourth string Nintendo franchise?

Wolf is cool