Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
16 oz cans are also a scam to squeeze more money out of you. They can sell you a 4 pack of 16 oz cans (64 oz of beer) for the same price you’d pay for a 6 pack of 12 oz cans (72 oz of beer) despite the packaging costs being cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Mahoning posted:

16 oz cans are also a scam to squeeze more money out of you. They can sell you a 4 pack of 16 oz cans (64 oz of beer) for the same price you’d pay for a 6 pack of 12 oz cans (72 oz of beer) despite the packaging costs being cheaper.

This.

And also that 4 is a dumb number because it’s not enough for a binge night or my partner drinks two of them and now I have to buy two 4-packs.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

This.

And also that 4 is a dumb number because it’s not enough for a binge night or my partner drinks two of them and now I have to buy two 4-packs.

I have to admit I like the 16oz.

I can get them as singles from the shop for most things at around 3-4$ a can. But there are plenty of beers that I definitely still want in 12oz because they’re smaller and I feel like less of a lush drinking three of them.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Jhet posted:

I have to admit I like the 16oz.

I can get them as singles from the shop for most things at around 3-4$ a can. But there are plenty of beers that I definitely still want in 12oz because they’re smaller and I feel like less of a lush drinking three of them.

Yeah. 13% percent stouts don’t belong in 16oz cans.

They belong in 750ml bottles

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Yeah. 13% percent stouts don’t belong in 16oz cans.

They belong in 750ml bottles

The Bruery appreciators have clearly logged on :)

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

12oz cans seem tiny, but yeah, if it’s a Friday or Saturday night, my wife and I will probably want more than 2 beers, so 4 4-packs it is!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Is SN Oktoberfest even in bottles this year? I’m only seeing it in cans.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Is SN Oktoberfest even in bottles this year? I’m only seeing it in cans.

It is not in bottles this year. I think they’ve moved their seasonal line completely to cans.

Boner M
Sep 21, 2021

by Hand Knit
Cans are superior in almost all circumstances, but a bottle is just more visually pleasing and nicer to pour from.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I can't find anything to back this up, but I figured maybe SN had some kind of supply chain issues regarding the glass bottles. But it could just as easily be they prefer cans now. I usually prefer cans too, though I do kind of miss their unique stubby li'l bottles.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Sir Lemming posted:

I can't find anything to back this up, but I figured maybe SN had some kind of supply chain issues regarding the glass bottles. But it could just as easily be they prefer cans now. I usually prefer cans too, though I do kind of miss their unique stubby li'l bottles.

It's actually been the opposite over the past couple of years. Places have had to (usually temporarily) move back to bottles due to a can shortage.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Glass bottles suck for a variety of reasons, idk why anyone still likes them.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

danbanana posted:

It's actually been the opposite over the past couple of years. Places have had to (usually temporarily) move back to bottles due to a can shortage.

The can shortage has mostly subsided. I’ve heard of bottle shortages lately but it’s mostly from the macro breweries.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

You can't stomp on bottles and shoot them around like hockey pucks when you're done with them.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
I require cans for safe drinking in the shower

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Spanish Manlove posted:

Glass bottles suck for a variety of reasons, idk why anyone still likes them.

I've gained a large collection of caps to put in wall displays, or to live like a king should Fallout ever come to pass.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Final Blog Entry posted:

I require cans for safe drinking in the shower

You know I always pour my beer into a pint glass for my shower beer and never once has this very obvious danger crossed my mind. I think I'll go cans from now on...

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Just lol if you don’t run a tap line into your shower.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Just lol if you don’t run a tap line into your shower.

To refill my stainless steel shower stein

DROP TABLE PHIZ
Feb 10, 2018

IF YOU AIN'T GETTIN LIT YOU BETTER STAY OUT BITCH

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

Man, TreeHouse has really accelerated their Lager program. I’d say they’ve got a minimum of a dozen lagers going at all times now ranging from good to great. I’m drinking their Marzen right now and it’s good if a little sweet. Their festbier was on point.

yeah I was quite pleased with how their lager program has been coming along last time i visited. really solid stuff, you can tell they care a lot about it

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

To refill my stainless steel shower stein

The tap is right there. What do you need a stein for?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

DROP TABLE PHIZ posted:

yeah I was quite pleased with how their lager program has been coming along last time i visited. really solid stuff, you can tell they care a lot about it

Not a lager, but next time you go get some El Clasico if they have it. It’s an old school pale ale and it’s probably my favorite beer of theirs next to Old Man.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I guess beer consumption is up, went to a smaller brewery yesterday and their Marzen is already gone. They did have a wet hopped IPA, surprisingly. Pretty decent, though very light. Hit the spot well on a bizarrely warm fall day. Most of the larger locals have focused on an Oktoberfest beer, reds, and right into stouts, disappointingly. I haven't seen Celebration out in the store yet either, but it's been a few weeks since I did a beer run so perhaps its there now.

e: I looked harder and there are a few more I need to go seek out, can't see the trees for the forest sometimes.

Partycat fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Oct 13, 2021

nah
Mar 16, 2009

The brewery i work for now does pretty much nothing but IPAs and lagers with some fruited sours or two to mix things up when needed. Just did our big first anniversary releases a couple weeks ago, which included our first BA bottles and they’ve all been received well. It’s cool

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Beer!?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Seems like around here pour pricing is up ~$2 these last couple of months for local breweries.. Not sure how this looks elsewhere? I get the costs on everything are up everywhere, and an out of town sixtel sure, but I wonder if there's a bit of a pricing bubble going on. People are out enjoying themselves, but I wonder if places are trying to pull in a few more bucks to hedge against a COVID winter.

I know $5 pints are probably long gone but $9 and $10 pints feel like they're going to slow my roll.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Partycat posted:

Seems like around here pour pricing is up ~$2 these last couple of months for local breweries.. Not sure how this looks elsewhere? I get the costs on everything are up everywhere, and an out of town sixtel sure, but I wonder if there's a bit of a pricing bubble going on. People are out enjoying themselves, but I wonder if places are trying to pull in a few more bucks to hedge against a COVID winter.

I know $5 pints are probably long gone but $9 and $10 pints feel like they're going to slow my roll.

Trucking is driving up the cost of everything. That includes brewing ingredients. Nothing that travels via long haul trucking or even local trucking is immune. I’m not sure it justifies a $2 raise in pint prices, but I have no doubt that costs have risen absolutely everywhere.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

trucking is fuckled

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Sure, maybe it’s hitting prices for supplies harder than I’d thought.

Half a dozen good lookin stouts are releasing this weekend and gas prices are up too ! Beer drones when ?

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
This is from back near the beginning of September, but here's a lil dump of our annual local fresh hop brew.

It began when I drove up to fetch some Cascade and Comet whole cone hops from The Hop Yard in Gorham, Maine.

The front of their hop separating machine.

They told me they shipped it from Germany, and it had to be cut in half in order to fit in the shipping containers. Which means they had to rebuild the thing when it arrived.

The ol' family cemetery on the farm that I wish I had taken a moment to check out.

The drive back to the brewery smelled pretty drat nice, I have to say.

We started the brew the next day. Our collection of estate C hops in the bins next to the ones from Maine.

Getting ready to load into the mash tun. The Comet hops had the best drat stink to 'em.

Head Brewer Chris dropping some Cascade into the mix.

Before hot liquor.

Steeping.

After moving the hoppy liquor into the kettle to hang out while we started mash in.

And some bonuses pics.

YeastA mixture of cocoa nibs, powder, and chopped peanuts for our once-a-year peanut butter stout being scraped out of the hop back or poop?

Hop Head sent us this pretty rad sticker with the last shipment we got.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Awesome post! That looks like a great time. I can see why so few breweries do wet hopped beers these days, it looks like a bit of a pain.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Yeah that's good stuff.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I want to bury my nose in that post

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
Any brewery recs for Asheville, NC? I like sours, lagers, saisons/farmhouse/mixed fermentation. I don't hate IPAs but they aren't usually my focus.

Apache
May 11, 2004

Comb Your Beard posted:

Any brewery recs for Asheville, NC? I like sours, lagers, saisons/farmhouse/mixed fermentation. I don't hate IPAs but they aren't usually my focus.

Zilicoah is about a 10 min drive north of the south slope area and specializes in those. Also the Wicked Weed funkatoriam if you don't mind the inBev stuff. Also on the south slope Burial has good sours, and lots of big stouts if that's your thing.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Comb Your Beard posted:

Definitely go to Sierra Nevada if you can reserve a table (no clue how hard this is right now). Their facility is gorgeous.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Apache posted:

Zilicoah is about a 10 min drive north of the south slope area and specializes in those.

Zillacoah looks great. I'm gonna advocate to my group we make it our 1 pick outside South Slope Brewing District if we only do 1 of those.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Comb Your Beard posted:

Zillacoah looks great. I'm gonna advocate to my group we make it our 1 pick outside South Slope Brewing District if we only do 1 of those.

easily my favorite beer in asheville and it's a lovely place to drink if the weather is nice.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
The weather down this way has a cool front and it's perfect fall time. If you don't mind driving a little further Fonta flora is a must. Zebulon, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuddenlyAri
Feb 24, 2019

Tinfoil Hat Society
Nyx Destroyer

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

You can't stomp on bottles and shoot them around like hockey pucks when you're done with them.

This right here. Perfect example.