Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
What next-gen updates is the game getting in the summer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

WattsvilleBlues posted:

What next-gen updates is the game getting in the summer?
High Level Summary of Features:
Improved framerate on Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation 5
Improved dynamic resolution ranges, for a higher resolution experience on Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation 5
Improved post-processing resolution for Xbox Series X and PS5. (Not Xbox Series S)

Console Specifics:

Xbox Series S
Framerate has been increased to 60 FPS (up from 45 FPS)

Xbox Series X Performance mode
Framerate has been increased to 60 FPS
Dynamic resolution added in the range of 1080p to 1440p

Xbox Series X Normal mode (non-performance mode)
Postprocessing has been increased to 4K
Dynamic resolution in the range of 1512p to 2160p

PlayStation 5
Postprocessing increased to 1440p
Dynamic resolution has been disabled and the game is rendering at 1200p (up from 810-1080p)

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Vinylshadow posted:

High Level Summary of Features:
Improved framerate on Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation 5
Improved dynamic resolution ranges, for a higher resolution experience on Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation 5
Improved post-processing resolution for Xbox Series X and PS5. (Not Xbox Series S)

Console Specifics:

Xbox Series S

Xbox Series X Performance mode
Framerate has been increased to 60 FPS
Dynamic resolution added in the range of 1080p to 1440p

Xbox Series X Normal mode (non-performance mode)
Postprocessing has been increased to 4K
Dynamic resolution in the range of 1512p to 2160p

PlayStation 5
Postprocessing increased to 1440p
Dynamic resolution has been disabled and the game is rendering at 1200p (up from 810-1080p)

Lovely job, cheers.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

I picked this up on Game Pass and it is really good! Something about the combat is a bit off but everything else is just great, especially the visuals and the music

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I found that the combat with animals is kinda awkward, and there's a lot of beetles and such near the beginning.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Fighting beasts is worse than fighting imperials both on a mechanic and thematic level.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Pulling off the OHKO parry counters on the big lads is satisfying though

The smaller ones that swarm you are a PITA until you get the staff and get its heavy attack for crowd control

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

McSpanky posted:

Listen to all these "1HKO sabers could never work" scrubs who never played the Jedi Knight games, smdh

If you didn't play FFA multiplayer Jedi Outcast or Jedi Academy with saber damage cranked up to where a direct hit was a one-shot, I say that you were not truly playing it.

Bonus points if you were using the mod that make direct rocket hits that killed people caused mass dismemberment. Always hilarious where some idiot was doing some fancy locked-in spinny move and you just executed them with rocket to the skull.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 25, 2021

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Next-gen upgrade is now live. Xbox Series X download is 49.51GB.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Next-gen upgrade is now live. Xbox Series X download is 49.51GB.

drat, I need to do another playthrough. Why do I keep buying new games faster than I beat them :smith:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

drat, I need to do another playthrough. Why do I keep buying new games faster than I beat them :smith:

Friend let me tell you about Game Pass...

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

So apparently colorblind people aren't allowed to become Jedi. :( Is this game worth playing through on easy mode, or should I just refund it? I can't tell the red/green/puce/whatever attacks apart. I did really like the atmosphere and sound so far, but I don't know if that plus the story will be enough to carry me through the game.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Han Nehi posted:

So apparently colorblind people aren't allowed to become Jedi. :( Is this game worth playing through on easy mode, or should I just refund it? I can't tell the red/green/puce/whatever attacks apart. I did really like the atmosphere and sound so far, but I don't know if that plus the story will be enough to carry me through the game.

You can theoretically brute-force it on Easy, but the last two bosses are going to be difficult since they have a lot of unblockable attacks, so unless you're willing to get very good with Precision Dodge and Parrying based on animation and sound rather than visual cues, it's gonna be rough going

It's actually kinda hilarious how many openings to attack the final boss actually has, since they can be stagger-locked incredibly easily, even on Grand Master

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Ok, I played a bit in “story” difficulty and it’s ok. Instead of dying and I don’t know why, my dude staggers and takes a little damage, and I don’t know why. 🙂 I’ll just cruise through for the Star Wars stuff.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I got and played through the game recently, and thought I'd like to report on it.

I've got mixed feelings about the beginning Bracca is an amazing environment (that weirdly they barely reuse any assets from, not even any floating platforms), and it starts pretty well, but then the game does something kinda manipulative and I really sour on pulling that sort of thing right out the gate. It also really doesn't help that the game manages to get me to care about Prauf, and then never really does the same amount of legwork for building up the relationship between Cal and Cere or Greez. It also feels contrived that after hiding for 5 years, Cal just uses a blink of force power and all these people zoom in from across the galaxy to find him. It feels like they made the beginning when they didn't really know what the plot was going to be yet, and never went back to smooth things out.

But then, a lot of what's wrong with the beginning is trying to start out thick with cutscenes when the bulk of the game was going to be a lot sparser so that the mechanics could show more. It all starts feeling better after getting past the beginning. The game feels like a real mix of a lot of influences from a bunch of other games, with maybe some of its flaws coming from why some of those things shouldn't mix. The environments are wonderful to explore, and the music is great. The combat takes a while to get my head around, but I started at Knight, turned the difficulty down for a bit, and then turned it back up once it started to click. And then as the game goes on, later bits seem better structured, and it has a much better ending than it began.

It's a little weird that the game doesn't have any DLC like every other EA game, but I'd love to see it have a sequel. Maybe they could focus on Merrin with her unique abilities to traverse the world. Or maybe they could even make a spiritual sequel with the Star Wars filed off if they can't swing the license again.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

Bracca is an amazing environment (that weirdly they barely reuse any assets from, not even any floating platforms)
They just had an episode of the Bad Batch that took place on Bracca in a derelict Venator. I was wondering whether they were able to reuse assets from Fallen Order. They're slightly different art styles, but that seems like a minor thing to tweek compared to building completely new models. They might have even been developed concurrently; I don't know the turnaround time of a game like Fallen Order compared to a computer-animated series like Bad Batch.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Bracca is a fantastic environment and it's a shame you spend the next third of the game just poking around the Tomb Raider planets. Kashyyyk and Dathomir are at least a little more interesting, plus that's about when the plot starts happening

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

SlothfulCobra posted:

I got and played through the game recently, and thought I'd like to report on it.

I've got mixed feelings about the beginning Bracca is an amazing environment (that weirdly they barely reuse any assets from, not even any floating platforms), and it starts pretty well, but then the game does something kinda manipulative and I really sour on pulling that sort of thing right out the gate. It also really doesn't help that the game manages to get me to care about Prauf, and then never really does the same amount of legwork for building up the relationship between Cal and Cere or Greez. It also feels contrived that after hiding for 5 years, Cal just uses a blink of force power and all these people zoom in from across the galaxy to find him. It feels like they made the beginning when they didn't really know what the plot was going to be yet, and never went back to smooth things out.

Yeah, it took me a going through that scene a few times before I noticed the probe droid that was watching the whole time when Cal used the force to save Prauf... So they actually do explain why half the galaxy descended on Bracca and Cal right after that, but its hard to notice in the moment especially the first couple of times.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I started playing on Game Pass tonight after enjoying the Battlefront 2 campaign more than I expected, and I think this game might be a bust for me. The combat is fun, but I wasn't expecting so much platforming, and hanging on to the clamps early on made me feel acrophobic. Given that platforming was easily the majority of the actual gameplay on the first level, it seems safe to assume it's going to continue being a major element, and probably one that'll get harder, right?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Sinteres posted:

I started playing on Game Pass tonight after enjoying the Battlefront 2 campaign more than I expected, and I think this game might be a bust for me. The combat is fun, but I wasn't expecting so much platforming, and hanging on to the clamps early on made me feel acrophobic. Given that platforming was easily the majority of the actual gameplay on the first level, it seems safe to assume it's going to continue being a major element, and probably one that'll get harder, right?

Major element, yes
Harder, not... really, unless you're going for item completion, in which case it's less hard and more having to fight the map in figuring out where the heck to go to get everything

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think it gets that hard, but you'll definitely be climbing a lot taller things and maneuvering around big pits if that's what you're sensitive to.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Sinteres posted:

There are also a bunch of puzzles that require different Force powers to progress that are quite fun.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

This game just needed more fluid platforming for me, it felt too Tomb Raider-y/Prince of Persia-y with pre-determined wall running spots, ledge grab points, etc.

Incredibly surprising given the devs pedigree, I expected a lot more on the movement front of things.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

SirSamVimes posted:

Combat feels janky against monster enemies but it rules against humanoids

This is why Kyle Katarn rocked and Cal annoys me. Just pick up a loving gun to obliterate these spiders with, idiot, you're not an ur-poseur like the Force Unleashed guy, it's ok.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kobal2 posted:

This is why Kyle Katarn rocked and Cal annoys me. Just pick up a loving gun to obliterate these spiders with, idiot, you're not an ur-poseur like the Force Unleashed guy, it's ok.

Based off literally everything we see in the game the guns are almost certainly going to be less effective than a laser sword.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Would be cool if you could transition between, say, Battlefront II's gunplay varieties and JFO's lightsaber combat on the fly - dual-wield gun & saber and swap between which you're attacking/defending with a button

deflect blaster fire with your saber while lining up your own shots, or fend off animal attacks while shooting weak points, that sort of thing

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Maybe something like Nioh 1 and 2 where holding down L2/left trigger puts you in aiming mode for your bow or gun

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 18, 2021

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Sinteres posted:

The thing about fallen order is that it is a bad game that rips off other games while doing nothing better than them. After 10 plus years of climbing ledges on a tall thing and shimmying through narrow corridors and hugging walls on ledges all these third person cinematic games are boring as gently caress.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ImpAtom posted:

Based off literally everything we see in the game the guns are almost certainly going to be less effective than a laser sword.

Cere gets good mileage out of using both, as do the Jedi in Rebels.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

ImpAtom posted:

Well, when there's a troll-looking giant motherfucker across a gap, "just shoot him. In the face. Like, a lot" seems a more better option to me than "jump the gap and fight it like a MAN". Then again I'm no Jedi.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
This game sucks!

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

This game rules!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kobal2 posted:

Well, when there's a troll-looking giant motherfucker across a gap, "just shoot him. In the face. Like, a lot" seems a more better option to me than "jump the gap and fight it like a MAN". Then again I'm no Jedi.

You are a magic space wizard with a laser sword. You are going to be using the laser sword because Star Wars isn't about Tactical Realism it is about being a goddamn space wizard with a laser sword.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Star Wars Jedi Help I've Fallen And Can't Get Up Order

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
On the flip side this game was really fun and it was what finally got a few of my friends to finally try the souls games because they’d been convinced by memes that they were impossibly difficult.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

ImpAtom posted:

You are a magic space wizard with a laser sword. You are going to be using the laser sword because Star Wars isn't about Tactical Realism it is about being a goddamn space wizard with a laser sword.

:hmmyes:

This guy Star Wars.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

ImpAtom posted:

:colbert: Take it up with my man Katarn.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

JBP posted:

This game sucks!

SirSamVimes posted:

This game rules!

Perhaps the truth lies somewhere in the middle

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I found it to be a decent romp, as opposed to unbearably bad like most people have taken to saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Hygiene posted:

Perhaps the truth lies somewhere in the middle

Yes - the game sucks but is a good looking cool star wars story :dance: