Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Upcoming_content

There's a new annual Halloween event. I had been wanting this, but I already uninstalled because Mirror Universe content isn't my thing, so I'll wait at least a year or two

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

DancingShade posted:

You know for all the noise about "T6 oberth!" I sometimes wonder how many they sold versus the art investment - did it generate sufficient revenue?

It was the final straw that capped the dil exchange, so I think they sold enough.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
God drat those skeletons are annoying. Get out of the hallway with no candles you fucks.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
Seems like a really good opportunity to take a break from the endless event grind.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Worst event I've tried yet.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Wow this is god awful.

It's not even hard it just requires actually having two firing neurons but since this game is STO there's zero chance of random pubbies actually doing the right this. This took five times longer than it should have not only because I had to do all the mechanics myself while everyone else autofired at invulnerable poo poo but a lot of times the randos were actually somehow worse than useless and CCed enemies away from zones they could be damaged or whatever. This may be the first non-rerun event I just loving skip.

:ughh:

Mr. Maggy
Aug 17, 2014
grav spike is a life safer here, if one skeleton wanders over into the light between everyone CCing them in place you can just yank them all into it

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I did it solo and that made it so much better, beyond the final room just bursting me a couple times. It's got a lot of care put into it and a lot of detail but holy poo poo was this not made to be ran over and over again.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I strongly suspect this was a story mission they retooled into a queue for some godforsaken reason.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
But they assured us in the preview article that people would pick it up in a week or so and run it with no problems. :v:

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.
It does have some annoying mechanics. Almost got stuck until it finally picked me to be phased so I could pull the lever. I do admire people's determination to just keep shooting the thing that has a yellow Immune constantly coming out of it.

At least I finally have a use for my attempt at a ghostbusters cosplay.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

MeatloafCat posted:

It does have some annoying mechanics. Almost got stuck until it finally picked me to be phased so I could pull the lever. I do admire people's determination to just keep shooting the thing that has a yellow Immune constantly coming out of it.

At least I finally have a use for my attempt at a ghostbusters cosplay.

Yep, I love it. It'll probably annoy me, but less so than the Picard/Mars Attack event.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

That one would be so much less annoying if the AI ships didn't suicide themselves into the death zone.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MeatloafCat posted:

I do admire people's determination to just keep shooting the thing that has a yellow Immune constantly coming out of it.

probably using the default strategy: /follow another party member, set your character to autoattack, and leave.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I don't see myself bothering with the Halloween event but on the flip side, the Nova remaster looks fantastic.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Asimo posted:

This may be the first non-rerun event I just loving skip.
I imagine that if you wait for this to come to Mudd's at 75% discount then it'll be 2000 Zen for the wand, the pet, and an Ultimate Tech Upgrade... seems a better deal than buying out the event now for those plus three Enhanced Universal Tech Upgrades or Specialization Points?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Yeah, I'm skipping this event. I unlocked all my temporal recruit rewards except the t6-x token from reaching tier 6 in a rep, I think I'm ready to take a break from this game for a while.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah all I'm doing til the next good event is refining dil and Doffing in the Dyson Sphere.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Mr. Maggy posted:

grav spike is a life safer here, if one skeleton wanders over into the light between everyone CCing them in place you can just yank them all into it

Paradox bomb too. Hit'm with a cold fusion flash to keep them in place.

Finally spent some time on my ground gear and traits. Kperf3 risa kit, maxed modules I hadn't bothered with before, slotted recommended traits and specs, crafted overboosters, etc. It's pretty hilarious how much faster mobs melt. I knew I needed to unfuck my build when I saw another sci dude chaining Anti-Time Entanglement Field. Stacking Seismic Agitation Fields inside the doors on the previous event was awesome.

I never bothered using the crystal prism module until now. That was a mistake. Hot drat, those things out dps a lot of pubbies.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Lorak posted:

Just be careful to protect what you plan on protecting, because, unlike the vendor, there's no going back from salvaging.

yuuup lost my Kobali crossbow. I thought it was a quest drop, not loot!

Do canon Disco-era ships use beam banks or arrays?

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 14, 2021

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Baron Porkface posted:

yuuup lost my Kobali crossbow. I thoguht it was a quest drop, not loot!

Do canon Disco-era ships use beam banks or arrays?

I believe the ones you want are called Senor-Linked iirc. At least if you want the STO version.

The canon answer is they should be banks, as arrays are phaser strip tech which is TNG or lost era.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal
If you have the Flaming Sword from one of the previous events it's got a nice pull built in for yanking the skeletons. First time I've actually had a use for the thing.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

MisterOblivious posted:

Finally spent some time on my ground gear and traits. Kperf3 risa kit, maxed modules I hadn't bothered with before, slotted recommended traits and specs, crafted overboosters, etc. It's pretty hilarious how much faster mobs melt. (...)
Yeah, I've said it before but gilding a good set of ground gear is both surprisingly inexpensive and fantastically improved the quality of life for the half of the game people usually ignore. The fact Kperf is both easy to stack and essentially a single skill that affects everything you do except shooty guns is hilarious too.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
After everyone's "glowing endorsements" I had to try the event queue out. Now I'll be nice, if I don't have anything nice to say then I won't say anything at all.

So... whoever made the art assets did a great job.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah I'll give it that, it's a very pretty map. Or at least unique.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lower Decks spoilers: I wonder if someone gave the STO team a heads up there'd be a Nova Class in today's ep, because that's a hell of a coincidence they released the model refurb same day.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Oct 14, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Just did the event queue, and it was surprisingly quick and painless. I think this is one that depends a lot on having a team that's okay, but is fine if you do.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Have done the event now twice; it is much more enjoyable if you luck into a group that doesn't use their head mostly as a hat stand.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Apparently you can solo it, I was going to try but the the server took a dive.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Yeah it's not too bad up until the last boss who one shot me a lot thanks to attacks going through shields and no one splitting fire. :v: Granted I'm a tac so my only healing is Motivation and that Pahvo crystal.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

MisterOblivious posted:

Paradox bomb too. Hit'm with a cold fusion flash to keep them in place.

this will also get the job done and is available to everyone from the discovery reputation: https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Universal_Kit_Module_-_Gravity_Containment_Unit

pulls all enemies towards you so just stand in a candles light radius

Teron D Amun fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 14, 2021

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Now that the Lobi store is on sale again, is there anything else besides the Lower Decks Phaser cannon that is a "must get"? I hosed around with the master keys when they were on sale and bough enough with dilzen and steam acco money to get the captain upgrade and my first T6-X upgrade by selling keys since it was stupidly cheaper that way. The leftovers from the 20-pack I spent on infinity boxes and got enough lobi to grab that one. So I am not buying it tommorrow, but maybe down the line.

I am still considering on getting the 1500 lobi instead of the pizza slizer Enterprise-J, so I need some opinions. Is there something in the lobi store that is very useful?

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Teron D Amun posted:

this will also get the job done and is available to everyone from the discovery reputation: https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Universal_Kit_Module_-_Gravity_Containment_Unit

pulls all enemies towards you so just stand in a candles light radius

Thanks for suggesting this, I crafted and used it yesterday and it made dealing with skeletons a breeze. The flaming sword is good to grab solo guys too.

The event isn't a much worse grind then Operation Wolf once people know how to do it. I wonder if they're going to put a space rerun before Christmas because otherwise it's been all ground content for a while.

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Der Kyhe posted:

Now that the Lobi store is on sale again, is there anything else besides the Lower Decks Phaser cannon that is a "must get"? <snip>

I am still considering on getting the 1500 lobi instead of the pizza slizer Enterprise-J, so I need some opinions. Is there something in the lobi store that is very useful?
There are some nice costumes, pets, and ships in the lobi store, but those are all tradable and should be bought on the exchange.

For space gear, bioneural infusion circuits, tachyokinetic inverter, and the altamid console are all good universals. The entire altamid set is good if you're building plasma. The Delphic distortion torpedo is probably BIS for a kinetic build. The altamid set is nice if you're building with ba'ul AP, but that's generally only seen on tanks since the nerf.

For ground gear, the disco rifle used to be, by far, the highest DPS ground weapon in the game. I'm not sure if the lower decks cannon is better than it or not. The herald staff is also fun.

Remember that lobi gear is char-bound. Make sure you only buy the gear on the char that will be using it.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

g0del posted:

Remember that lobi gear is char-bound. Make sure you only buy the gear on the char that will be using it.

Yeah I bought it on my timecop who is my main from now on. I was also thinking about the disco rifle but non-lobi one on my ex-main "full auto phaser rifle" you get from the missions wasn't that impressive although it looks tacticool.

I actually might switch to getting that pizza slicer and slap some stupid visual on it when I get the reputation game to Tier 6. I also started to do the dancemix emote while waiting for the event to start, it seems to bring up emotions on other players. :D

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 15, 2021

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I really wish you could do weapon visuals so I can use the TOS phaser rifle for everyone. Love that stupid thing.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I liked the old TOS Type 2 phaser before it had a special thing where every time it killed it would trigger the NOOOOO vaporise animation instead of just on crits. Not sure if they've broken that since then.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Taerkar posted:

I really wish you could do weapon visuals so I can use the TOS phaser rifle for everyone. Love that stupid thing.

Aye, that's my #2 favorite. Nothing beats the rainbow pistols imo. They're especially awesome when the tertiary is charged and the ends start sparkling rainbows.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I hope they do T6 versions of the Star Cruiser and Deep Space Science Vessel, and give the 2410 skins. Both of those designs have some nice potential, visually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

you can AFK the cat event queue btw, solo queue for it, die to the first skeleton group and dont res, wait 15 minutes and claim your prize

another fun fact: the skeletons and the skeleton boss can be damaged with the engineering module Sabotage cause they dont count as organic