Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

I’m pretty stoked for a trek finale in a way I haven’t been since… 1994? I dunno, something like that

i stopped watching trek halfway through ds9 until disco

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I thought wej duj was the last one so after reading that article I'm extra hyped for this next one. And wow, already having season 3 written is impressive considering picard is 3 for 3 for seasons where filming begins before production even knows where it's going.

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer
Well, part of that may be because it's hard to improv animation as you go.

Though I think it's more because the showrunner just really loves making Trek.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Glad both T'lyn and Ma'ah are coming back. I wanna see Boims and Ma'ah get on.

They said in that interview they liked the pacing of episodes eight-nine-ten being 'super fast lots of variation slapstick fun - something that breaks the series mould - big finale' and it sounds like they might repeat that each season.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I want more episodes.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

A.o.D. posted:

I want more episodes.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I want more episodes, FUCKER.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I want more episodes, FATHER.

WAIT, Bradward!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Your ten episode season is weak and it disgusts me!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Grand Fromage posted:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Grand Fromage posted:

Modern Star Trek Megathread: Your ten episode season is weak and it disgusts me!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Grand Fromage posted:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Grand Fromage posted:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I like that on Lower Decks you can see the makings of a bridge crew, Boimler as a captain, Tendi as CMO, Rutherford as chief engineer, maybe with Mariner as first officer? Like, she can do the cool away mission stuff, and not have the captaincy on her shoulders. Or maybe she’ll just be the oldest ensign in Starfleet, carrying on forever.

For some reason I’m fully expecting a Mariner flashback at some point and she’ll be in a TOS movie uniform or something, just to play with the ‘wait, how old is she?’ thing.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

The_Doctor posted:

For some reason I’m fully expecting a Mariner flashback at some point and she’ll be in a TOS movie uniform or something, just to play with the ‘wait, how old is she?’ thing.

I can't remember if it came up in this thread or elsewhere, but someone suggested the reason why Mariner reacted the way she did to the Naked Time training program is because she was on the Enterprise-D as a kid when it happened and has bad/awkward memories of it. So that would set a good timeframe to work with, plus puts Freeman in the right time and place to get mentored by Riker.

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

drat that's a nice finale twist.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh poo poo time to leave until I can see it?

Porpoise With A Purpose
Feb 28, 2006

That might have been better than last week it's close. You definitely don't want spoilers.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
CETACEAN OPS!

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I hope it's not a year long wait.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Thom12255 posted:

I hope it's not a year long wait.

Alas probably going to be about that. Have a season each of Discovery, Picard, Prodigy, and Strange new worlds to get through first. Pretty sure none of them are going to be airing concurrently -except maybe prodigy?- and animation takes a bit of time anyway. Wouldn't be surprised if it aired about exactly the same time next year.

Seems along time away now, but better then rushing it I guess.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

drat... those whales were horny. Also LOL that Pakled planet is now canonically destroyed. But I also wouldn't be surprised if there's like 50 Pakled planets out there all called Pakled.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

That was some loving good Trek.

Also like that the dick Starfleet security team were on one of the ships from the Picard finale.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

That episode was great and also clearly a present to all the uber-nerds who love to obsess over ships and trek tech.

Senor Tron posted:

Also like that the dick Starfleet security team were on one of the ships from the Picard finale.

Pretty sure it was a Nova-Class refit, like the USS Rhode Island Harry Kim was commanding in the alternate future in Endgame. Like the Olympic-Class, this is technically the first time we've seen it in the real timeline.

EDIT: actually, never mind: just went back and had another look, and there is a cutout there in the front, it's just a standard Nova class.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Oct 14, 2021

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

MikeJF posted:

That episode was great and also clearly a present to all the uber-nerds who love to obsess over ships and trek tech.
Yeah being able to see a naked ship is kinda fantastic.

And it's worth noting how happy it makes me that Sonya Gomez was brought back. She's not the best voice actor and didn't quite sound like she fit in... but she is a welcome presence.

In a way, she basically got a Riker-level cameo for this finale. Good for her!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

DaveKap posted:

And it's worth noting how happy it makes me that Sonya Gomez was brought back. She's not the best voice actor and didn't quite sound like she fit in... but she is a welcome presence.

Her being Captain Freeman's old friend is yet another tease at Freeman and child Mariner having been on the Enterprise-D.

It was mentioned in an interview before that T'lyn and Ma'ah were going to pop back up: betting Ma'ah reappears as the Cerritos secretly heads around running their own investigation of what the hell happened at Pakled Planet.

DaveKap posted:

Naked ship, captain's yacht, cetacean ops, the new class, that whole little fleet at the end...

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Oct 14, 2021

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Pretty sure it was a Nova-Class refit, like the USS Rhode Island Harry Kim was commanding in the alternate future in Endgame. Like the Olympic-Class, this is technically the first time we've seen it in the real timeline.

EDIT: actually, never mind: just went back and had another look, and there is a cutout there in the front, it's just a standard Nova class.

I didn't go back and check, but now you mention that it does match up well.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

also goddamn rubber duck room

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

There are some fun things that blink past when Rutherford deletes his redundant memory files, including...

And, of course the ominous extra memory he discovers...

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

DaveKap posted:

In a way, she basically got a Riker-level cameo for this finale. Good for her!

i thought her voice acting was charmingly bad, it was fun

that whole episode was great drat now i gotta wait for season 3 rip

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Quinton posted:

Oh hey maybe autonomously kicking rear end isn't a standard implant ability after all...

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Quinton posted:

My god, no pips! Is there a rank below ensign, and are they trying to take over starfleet!

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

This is another episode that shows just how much Lower Decks shines when it's operating as just a regular 'Trek with a generous helping of silliness (the senior staff arguing like children is maybe the biggest departure from 'serious' Trek here).

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Senor Tron posted:

That was some loving good Trek.

edit: also

https://twitter.com/jessiegender/status/1446367174507991046?s=21

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

DaveKap posted:

This is another great example of something they can nail with animation that I imagine would be a gigantic pain in the rear end in live-action. Or at least the parts with tons of characters in full spacesuits running around on the hull detaching plates. CG could handle some of that but it would be a heavy lift.

Everything in Cetacean Ops might count for that too. Plus the horny belugas killed me, holy poo poo

MikeJF posted:

also goddamn rubber duck room

I don't know what's better: that they acknowledged its existence, or that for some reason it's off-limits

and now I just remembered the rubber duck altered item from Control, so even better

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

dr_rat posted:

My god, no pips! Is there a rank below ensign, and are they trying to take over starfleet!

I mean, 'Lower Decks' implies the existence of a 'Lowest Decks'.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Are they planning on doing any more Short Treks? Not doing a live action Lower Decks short would be a crime if so.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I am far more invested in the story of the silly cartoon Trek than I am in either story of the live-action Treks, and I am loving it!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The amount of sheer detail on Archimedes and bridge makes me wonder if we'll be seeing her again next season. Gomez is Freeman's friend, maybe she'll be helping with Operation Prove Her Innocence.

Attention to detail: the captain's yacht dock is clearly set up as a diplomatic entrance with seating and things.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Oct 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

It strikes me that it would have been waaaaaay less effort to strip off the the external hull plating from the yacht or a shuttlecraft than the whole ship