Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

christmas boots posted:

Goku is a fascist

He's basically a fascist who is a good person because he has brain damage. He's heroic specifically because he is a retard, a profound rejection of the notion of the fascist ubermensch in favor of the primordial and transcendent heroism of the himbo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Lain is a Maoist

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Hodgepodge posted:

all i really know is that it wasn't weak half-assed poo poo like darling in the franxx

(TTGL i mean but im pretty sure gunbuster is also not weak poo poo either going by rep)

You should really watch Gunbuster

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Gripweed posted:

You should really watch Gunbuster

No matter how you feel about the first couple episodes, watch all of Gunbuster.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

TheMightyBoops posted:

Yeah but I just finished that.

I decided to watch some episodes of Girls Und Panzer for the sports anime to watch next and I like how the main character is so far pretty much the same as the one from Gun Buster, so I’m in familiar territory… if I’m wrong and it just seems that way don’t spoil Girls und Panzer for me.

The Girls und Panzer girl never falls for a guy, because very little exists in the world of Girls und Panzer other than girls and tanks. Like, there's a long sequence about a C-130 cargo plane, and one of the OVAs has a Monty Python bit, but that's basically it for non girls or tanks content

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Gripweed posted:

The Girls und Panzer girl never falls for a guy, because very little exists in the world of Girls und Panzer other than girls and tanks. Like, there's a long sequence about a C-130 cargo plane, and one of the OVAs has a Monty Python bit, but that's basically it for non girls or tanks content

There’s just no way to animate anyone popping out of a tank hatch while it’s moving and for it to not look insanely cool.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

Gunbuster is a huge ripoff of Aim for the Ace, so that makes it basically a sports anime.

It's not a rip off it's a homage

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

aim for the ace is ftw if you like to see people getting ruthlessly bullied

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

everyone who enjoys ping pong the animation is legally required to watch the aim for the ace movie

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

christmas boots posted:

Goku is a fascist

Goku doesn't have a complex enough internal life to be a fascist.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Ringo Roadagain posted:

diebuster is better than gunbuster
lets not talk recklessly

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
the scene where they reveal what the space monsters actually are in diebuster is one of my fave anime moments

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Southpaugh posted:

Goku doesn't have a complex enough internal life to be a fascist.

Hodgepodge posted:

He's basically a fascist who is a good person because he has brain damage. He's heroic specifically because he is a retard, a profound rejection of the notion of the fascist ubermensch in favor of the primordial and transcendent heroism of the himbo.

lmao

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

goku is NOT a fascist

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
My favorite goku moment is in super when Goku puts a contract out on himself to fight Hit again

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Relin posted:

the scene where they reveal what the space monsters actually are in diebuster is one of my fave anime moments
big agree. they were super-advanced, automated Buster Machines themselves that were designed to keep the old space monsters out and humans in Sol, right? been a few years since I've seen it.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
goku is a libertarian

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

TenementFunster posted:

big agree. they were super-advanced, automated Buster Machines themselves that were designed to keep the old space monsters out and humans in Sol, right? been a few years since I've seen it.

I dont remember if they were meant to keep humans in, but they were def meant to keep any space monster out. The robot girl co-lead got heavily damaged during an incursion and without her functioning correctly the automated defense system she was the core of went haywire.

I went completely blind into diebuster when I was in college, a friend saw the first episode with me after he had seen all of it already. I kept noticing that the robot girl was splitting things in half and I asked him if that was her super power. He looked me with wide panicked eyes.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

lol gently caress you viz; I thought I ordered the first season of sailor moon, but I actually ordered half the first season and a cardboard cutout that says: “Season 1 part 2 goes here.”

I only ever saw like 3 episodes of Sailor Moon when it was in syndication on UPN I think and I was like 5.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 202 days!

TheMightyBoops posted:

lol gently caress you viz; I thought I ordered the first season of sailor moon, but I actually ordered half the first season and a cardboard cutout that says: “Season 1 part 2 goes here.”

I only ever saw like 3 episodes of Sailor Moon when it was in syndication on UPN I think and I was like 5.

this is remarkably close to the original experience except you don't have to worry about aging out of paying any attention to it before it wraps up.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

TenementFunster posted:

Been a while since I watched it but I really appreciated the big reveal where it turns out the reddish appearance of outer space wasn’t a stylistic choice, but actually a giant barrier

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Disney+ is going to be streaming the Tatami Galaxy sequel and the thought of Disney having the rights to it just really bums me out for some reason.https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...lobally/.178447

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

net work error posted:

Disney+ is going to be streaming the Tatami Galaxy sequel and the thought of Disney having the rights to it just really bums me out for some reason.https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...lobally/.178447

despite having a million billion dollars they are probably gonna be paying peanuts to whoever is translating it + the other anime they've acquired

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

They also announced an anime based on the Twisted Wonderland mobile game which actually might be fun. If you're not familiar with it, I'm not going to explain it. Just look it up trust me.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

net work error posted:

They also announced an anime based on the Twisted Wonderland mobile game which actually might be fun. If you're not familiar with it, I'm not going to explain it. Just look it up trust me.

looks like poo poo op

but i do enjoy the work of trans legal scholar, Deuce Spade

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 21 days!)

net work error posted:

Looks bad.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

I appreciate Disney Japan being like, "You know what, gently caress it. Make the manservice characters!"

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Goku is a trot

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Me and some friends watched most of Girls Und Panzer today, and we enjoyed most of it except the fight scene eluded to in episode 1 and carried out in episode 3 or whatever with the British school where the CG is animated at a super weird frame rate and made us all feel weird.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
GuP is probably the best sports show

and i say this as someone who really likes adachi

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
If you like GUP the series, then the sequel film is a must-watch. The action in it is absolutely wild.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Darth Walrus posted:

If you like GUP the series, then the sequel film is a must-watch. The action in it is absolutely wild.

The OVAs are good too, especially the one where they go up against the Italian school.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Sunrise to Move Entire Company Into One Building, Names It 'White Base'

Good branding at least.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3aEXTUj9Ek

eeeeeeeeeeeeh

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Well, it does look like a cartoon, I'll give them that. Probably not in the way they intended though

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
That's some stiff and mechanical camera movement that would easily look more fluid and flexible as animation

Spike looks so old and tired

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

oh my god it looks so bad

it's like watching high school theater

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
it feels stuck in trying to cosplay cartoon aesthetics and end up looking generic
sad

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

No cartoon even looks like that. The way they manipulate the panels might make sense for adapting a comic book, but Cowboy Bebop wasn't a manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

No cartoon even looks like that. The way they manipulate the panels might make sense for adapting a comic book, but Cowboy Bebop wasn't a manga.

I meant cartoon as in the characters speak in dumb quips, and it also sounds like they were dubbed over for some reason? Also the action feels slapstick, they're moving all awkwardly and poo poo. Dumb swish and boioiong noises. Just stupid.

Also in that frame immediately after he sees Vicious (presumably), Cho looks loving ooold as gently caress. Lmao, 50yo Spike