Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
The color is a good contrast to my Shaltari

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

So we played a game with the newer rules, decided to keep it simple and went with slightly modified starter set lists (don't have six of each medium dropship so adjusted accordingly) and the basic targets of opportunity scenario.

3-2 PHR win over Scourge. First time having the Despot in use and that thing is annoying if you plonk it down out of sight next to a garrison, game came down to a tie vs a win based on if I could clear the thing out and get the search roll on the final round. Didn't get to use the Proteus since it got blown out of the sky immediately.

Only have a 6x4 mat now and no table big enough for it, so had to play on the floor!

Just chilling.

An attempt to drop some Hunters on my Ares backfired horribly when reaction fire took it out and it crashed, killing all three Hunters and inflicting two points of collateral damage on some garrisoned Warriors.

Flame weapons are good!

But not enough to completely stop an objective extraction.

Extracting an objective after clearing out all the Warriors the previous turn.

This fucker managed to kill both Ares before dying to a lucky penetrating shot from a nearby Neptune.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Kalium alternative sculpts!

Interesting and good to see them offering a none-mad max alternative aesthetic for Resistance. Wonder which will be more popular?

Also, the shipping container scatter terrain is nice.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Ugleb posted:

Kalium alternative sculpts!

Interesting and good to see them offering a none-mad max alternative aesthetic for Resistance. Wonder which will be more popular?

Also, the shipping container scatter terrain is nice.

I was just going through my Resistance stuff and wondering if I shouldn’t try to get out and they drop amazing new sculpts.

Dammit, now I want to shift over to Kalium’s aesthetic.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

koreban posted:

I was just going through my Resistance stuff and wondering if I shouldn’t try to get out and they drop amazing new sculpts.

Dammit, now I want to shift over to Kalium’s aesthetic.

I am legit expecting a bunch of Resistance players to buy a second Resistance army.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Ugleb posted:

I am legit expecting a bunch of Resistance players to buy a second Resistance army.

I'd be lying if I didn't admit that the thought of a feral resistance army using old sculpts and a conscript resistance army using Kalium wasn't running through my head multiple times when I see those.

Wind Tempest
Oct 9, 2007

I am the culmination of all that is wrong with japan.
This caters to my interests. I have always wanted to collect an Old Earth Army style Resistance Army like some sort of alternate universe with the Earth Armies are still slugging it out in a forever war instead of being rolled over in a day.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Teasers from UKGE for those who haven't seen them yet. Also, hi thread.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Getting a real last minute "oh poo poo forgot to take a proper photo" vibe from that picture, but cool to finally see that behemoth finally physically existing and it looks great.

Along with the dreads Scourge is 2 for 2 on best looking super heavy models, at least based off the art for the rest of 'em.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Resistance dreads teaser up.

So you build up the hull with a series of 'lego bricks', which is interesting. Given how many bits there seems to be in this I'm wondering if you could build several smaller ships out of it.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!
Anyone managed to get a game in or paint some new models recently?

I finished some new Stormwagons, but haven't had a chance to field them yet. Had to postpone a game against a friends newly painted Shaltari army due to sick child, but we might be able to throw down this coming weekend.

And if US customs can get their poo poo together, I've got a order of more UCM ships arriving soon I'm excited to paint up. I really enjoyed painting the 6 cruisers and 8 frigates and was suprisingly happy with how they came out.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I haven't exactly given much thought to in-person, but I really should reconnect with people and try out the TTS setup.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Did I cross post this? I probably forgot.

I have made an effort to build the last 4 unpainted Dropzone models so I can cross them off the bucket list. I have an inclination to try and demo to the locals so I need to round off my Resistance a bit.

A few months back I also built and primed the last of my Dropfleet Shaltari from the Kickstarter, I want to get caught up on the backlog for both games pretty soon so that I can stop feeling vaguely guilty about it.

Who knows, I may even get it all on a table in the near future before the UK goes back into lockdown for Christmas. Or we run out of fuel and food. Whichever comes first I guess.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Just did up the scatter terrain pack.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Ugleb posted:

Did I cross post this? I probably forgot.

I have made an effort to build the last 4 unpainted Dropzone models so I can cross them off the bucket list. I have an inclination to try and demo to the locals so I need to round off my Resistance a bit.

All my Technicals are new TTC casts, so they come with resin riders and I DO NOT TRUST THEM. I've had a lot of breakage out of their resin infantry. So I'm grabbing old Hawk branded packs of the buses, and splitting the dudes up. Rockets to the technicals, Guns to the bus platforms. (And because only being able to focus 3 shots really hampers the effectiveness of the rockets, while the guns pew-pew all the same. )

Also, cat knocked one bus off and the puppy chewed it up (beyond the point of 'battle damaged', past 'terrain wreckage') so I've got 3 school buses and 2 coaches, wich is an awkward number given current Force Orgs.

I think I'm done fiddling with my Swifthawks, but I'll probably do a bit more weathering for the hell of it. There's a lot of work I have left for the Resistance.

My Scourge on the other hand are almost complete, barring the new stuff that just arrived yesterday. Slightly out of date pic below. But I'm keeping up with them vs the Res where I'm scrambling to make progress.

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Oct 13, 2021

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Slyphic posted:

All my Technicals are new TTC casts, so they come with resin riders and I DO NOT TRUST THEM. I've had a lot of breakage out of their resin infantry. So I'm grabbing old Hawk branded packs of the buses, and splitting the dudes up. Rockets to the technicals, Guns to the bus platforms. (And because only being able to focus 3 shots really hampers the effectiveness of the rockets, while the guns pew-pew all the same. )

I haven't handled their resin infantry yet, hopefully I have a better experience! I need to pick up some resistance veterans at some point.

I also need Technicals, I have a Thunderstorm that needs a cargo.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Specifically Resistance Fighters and Berserkers in resin from TTC are a trap. Heavy losses from snapped ankles. The Vets and Sappers are bit sturdier sculpts I'm less concerned about, but went metal anyways because I could.

The technicals mostly worried me for their storage and handling. I'm probably being overly cautious.

A full Thunderstorm is also my goal. I've got 6 down, 6 more to go.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
Been working on a board

Edit for link fix

Wowshawk fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Oct 15, 2021

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Those scrap vans and that board need to go on a date. Nice work guys!

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

That is a damned fine looking board. I'm still using the papercraft terrain set and a bunch of homemade (mostly finished) scatter terrain, because I lack permanent board space.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Wow the mdf terrain looks great all painted up and weathered.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

The weathering on the buildings looks great, makes me want to finish doing mine since I've been putting off the more effort-intensive parts of it for a while now.

For the resin infantry, I think the problems are model-specific; I've got metal and resin Immortals and they're indistinguishable until you pick them up. The metal infantry is way better if for nothing than having more weight to them, anyway.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Some disappointing casting on my new UCM models. Ugly gates and visible mold misalignment, right smack dab on the top of the model, the most prominent visible spot possible. What's extra frustrating is these are the ONLY casting errors from all three blisters worth of components.

Santiagos are fine.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
Get back to ttcombat, they've got great customer service.

And thanks for the nice words about my pile of mdf. I've been working on off and on as it's a ton of buildings and base plates. That's only the 90x90 cm version, without street scatter.

Edit so I don't doublepost: is the stuff on this blog still more or less accurate? https://orbitalbombardmentgamers.blogspot.com/ they've got a ton of reviews etc wondering if I can still use it as a reference for listbuilding and buying stuff.

Wowshawk fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Oct 15, 2021

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Most units work pretty much the same way as they did in 1st edition, but some are very different, so it's hard to say tbh. If you take it with a big pinch of salt then you can probably get a rough idea from it.

I do miss team OB. :(

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Wowshawk posted:

Get back to ttcombat, they've got great customer service.

Cross Atlantic shipping and customs is an absolute bitch right now. My last order took 3 months to arrive. Much as I'd like some pristine pieces, I really don't want to wait that long. Again.

Also, the problem isn't that the mold failed, it's that the mold was designed incompetently. Every cast is going to have that vent in the same place. The solution isn't a different piece, it's a better process.

Wowshawk posted:

is the stuff on this blog still more or less accurate? https://orbitalbombardmentgamers.blogspot.com/
Not really, no. The most up-to-date guides I know of are at http://thetacklezone.net/guides/?sort_by=name_a_z&game=688 And even then, they don't have the 2nd wave BCs or Lighters.

Torpedo changes means all those units that used to be garbage for carrying them are now at least average. Sorry dude, no good resource yet. Someone is going to have to play a bunch of games and write a new one.

I'm doing my part for DZC on my blog, but I don't have anywhere near enough game time with DFC yet.

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Oct 15, 2021

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
Both games are in a bit of a weird place right now, like I know they're being played but there is hardly any content on the new stuff. Still want to get into fleet somewhere in the future.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Slyphic posted:

Also, the problem isn't that the mold failed, it's that the mold was designed incompetently. Every cast is going to have that vent in the same place. The solution isn't a different piece, it's a better process.

TTCombat need to fire their casters. The mouldmaking is atrocious. I had a dropship that had a seam and vent which ran right across some tiny sculpted on vents. It was impossible to clean ans the only solution was to sans everything flat on both sides to make it look like there was nothing there in the first place. They could have just as easily sacrificed the detail on the hidden underside.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

If I have followed along correctly, TTCombat have expanded their resin production quite substantially over the past couple of years. Part of that has been hiring and training new staff to run it. So I suspect the issue here is partly a lack of experience as staff are learning what works and what doesn't, and maybe partly translating metal sculpts to resin.

Has anyone handled any infantry designed by TTCombat? I don't know how durable the new Valkyrie are.

That all said I gather the PHR Monitors had horribly placed gates, but I think they went back and changed that.

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
This and they are completely redoing their process as well, which explains why some stuff is out of stock for a bit.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Ugleb posted:

If I have followed along correctly, TTCombat have expanded their resin production quite substantially over the past couple of years. Part of that has been hiring and training new staff to run it. So I suspect the issue here is partly a lack of experience as staff are learning what works and what doesn't, and maybe partly translating metal sculpts to resin.

Has anyone handled any infantry designed by TTCombat? I don't know how durable the new Valkyrie are.

That all said I gather the PHR Monitors had horribly placed gates, but I think they went back and changed that.

I feel that "don't place gates in highly visible areas of detail" is a fairly elementary concept in resin casting though. It's right up there alongside "don't drink the polyurethane hardener.".

Edit - I would have a little more sympathy were these really complex sculpts (say Kingdom Death or some other artisanal poo poo), but 6mm stuff really isn't and all of it has great big empty areas underneath to site your gates that no one will ever see.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Ugleb posted:

They sort of fixed it.

The original piece is on the bottom, and you can see where the detail is lost from the gate placement. So they redesigned it into those two pieces on top, great, all the detail is preserved! Except those two don't actually fit into each other; the tab is too big. So it does work, just need to spend time shaving it down to fit into the slot now.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Ugleb posted:

The problem TTC says they have is that their facility is just really cramped and their health and safety regulations are severely limiting the number of people they can have in their casting/cutting/etc rooms. Like a quarter of the people they used to have. They furloughed casting people because they couldn't get them in to work at the start of the pandemic, and a bunch of them never came back, so they've also got a skilled labor shortage on top of the ongoing limit on bodies. Very recently, they said they were replacing their casting equipment for higher volume and also fewer bodies and manual processes per machine.

I believe they're also expanding facilities as well. There's a lot of muddling between TTC and the parent company and its other subsidiaries, so that might be 'on-loan' as it were.

While they've had this massive shrinkage to production capacity, they've also steadily expanded their number of molds and models. So they're just stretched in every way.

Z the IVth posted:

I feel that "don't place gates in highly visible areas of detail" is a fairly elementary concept in resin casting though. It's right up there alongside "don't drink the polyurethane hardener.".

They also have a business ethos like a less competent Valve, where anyone can do anything, just grab some random employees and git'r'dun. So we quite literally have a dude that normally operates a MDF cutter he was trained on like a month ago being told to knock out some molds, just like watch this guy we trained last week and do what he did, got it? I've heard that from more than a few of their former employees that left on good terms for better jobs in less rear end-end-of-nowehere Cornwall.

Ugleb posted:

Friend of mine that plays PHR has some. He had 2 snapped off their exhaust plumes when they arrived. There's apparently one of them on the sprue that's a little too skinny at one point, but the others seem fine. They've held up to a couple games how.

Slyphic fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 18, 2021

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Slyphic posted:

The problem TTC says they have is that their facility is just really cramped and their health and safety regulations are severely limiting the number of people they can have in their casting/cutting/etc rooms. Like a quarter of the people they used to have. They furloughed casting people because they couldn't get them in to work at the start of the pandemic, and a bunch of them never came back, so they've also got a skilled labor shortage on top of the ongoing limit on bodies. Very recently, they said they were replacing their casting equipment for higher volume and also fewer bodies and manual processes per machine.

I believe they're also expanding facilities as well. There's a lot of muddling between TTC and the parent company and its other subsidiaries, so that might be 'on-loan' as it were.

While they've had this massive shrinkage to production capacity, they've also steadily expanded their number of molds and models. So they're just stretched in every way.

They also have a business ethos like a less competent Valve, where anyone can do anything, just grab some random employees and git'r'dun. So we quite literally have a dude that normally operates a MDF cutter he was trained on like a month ago being told to knock out some molds, just like watch this guy we trained last week and do what he did, got it? I've heard that from more than a few of their former employees that left on good terms for better jobs in less rear end-end-of-nowehere Cornwall.

Friend of mine that plays PHR has some. He had 2 snapped off their exhaust plumes when they arrived. There's apparently one of them on the sprue that's a little too skinny at one point, but the others seem fine. They've held up to a couple games how.

This all sounds about right. On the other hand it probably describes a fair sized chunk of the tabletop industry, TTCombat are just a bigger company than most trying to scale up. I get the impression that being based in Cornwall is perpetually holding back their hiring some.

I wonder if that new casting equipment is siocast? From what I've seen of it TTCombat are probably just the right size if company to really lean into it and they wouldn't need very experienced staff to run the machines.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

Ugleb posted:

I wonder if that new casting equipment is siocast? From what I've seen of it TTCombat are probably just the right size if company to really lean into it and they wouldn't need very experienced staff to run the machines.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Siocast, but I'd sure be disappointed. TTC resin is already a step down from Hawk in material quality and mold competency (95% of the time. The less said about original UCM Bear APCs the better).

in better news, had a good game with a friend this weekend. It was his first, he brought Shaltari; a starter plus a bunch of ronin in place of all but one stand of Braves plus an Ocelot. I brought a mishmash assortment of Resistance.

Got my rear end kicked. Nu-Ronin are bonkers. 15pts for 2 E10 shots at 3+ and 12", but also armor 9 and 2DP, and oh yeah, it can use every gate on the board. They need to be 5-10 points more expensive, or lose a DP, or not have become infantry. Point for Point, they're better in every way than Braves.

Also his Kukri one-shotted half my infantry first activation of turn 2. The game only got worse for me from there on out.

We're talking about some local houserules at this point, because v2 non-simultaneous CQ is just deeply unsatisfying, and the Search rolls being tied to turn number is some gamey bullshit.

Dr.Tree
May 7, 2007

Sure there are goons in local government. But there are goons in national government too

Slyphic posted:

in better news, had a good game with a friend this weekend. It was his first, he brought Shaltari; a starter plus a bunch of ronin in place of all but one stand of Braves plus an Ocelot. I brought a mishmash assortment of Resistance.

Got my rear end kicked. Nu-Ronin are bonkers. 15pts for 2 E10 shots at 3+ and 12", but also armor 9 and 2DP, and oh yeah, it can use every gate on the board. They need to be 5-10 points more expensive, or lose a DP, or not have become infantry. Point for Point, they're better in every way than Braves.

One of the major reasons that I picked this faction was the Ronin so I'm hoping we figure out their glaring flaw and I feel less guilty every time you see 9 - 18 of them. Its kind of a bummer that they outclass the rest of the infantry in the faction because of point cost, but I also feel like Braves and Firstborn being Wound 3 with max squad size of 2 means that every CQ round will be a fortitude test. Hope to get in more games and try out more infuriating teleport shenanigans. Need to paint the rest of everything so goons don't judge me.

I want to meet the designer who put the large gate on the front of the Eden Gate and ask them if everything is ok. I've been lucky in that the Eden Gate gate and a bendy daimyo that looked as if it came from two different pours have been my only issues.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

https://community.ttcombat.com/2021/10/20/resin-overhaul-wip-wednesday/

I don't think they've gone Siocast. And they're moving towards more specialization of roles, which I'm all in favor of.

Meantime, got 2 UCM BC hulls mangetized and one of each of the 4 prows. Also a UCM BB, but I'm having alignment issues with it and I'm not happy yet. Also also, I know, gap filling, I'm getting to it.

Jesus gently caress are the santiago corvettes bendy.

Basically anything other than painting the half finished rocket technicals and bus on my pallet. Takes me like 2 months of procrastination to finish each squad of them.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Speaking of TTCombat and their resin production....

Looks like they are staying 'traditional' after all but with a more grown up work flow. And vaccuum suction on all pours, not just the 'tricky' models. That sounds like an improvement.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
What's the trick to getting clean pin washes on (for example) the PHR plate seams and so forth? Or is there some other good way to get those to pop, but also not bleed into the panels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

GreenMarine posted:

What's the trick to getting clean pin washes on (for example) the PHR plate seams and so forth? Or is there some other good way to get those to pop, but also not bleed into the panels.

I get pretty clean panel lines just by priming black and then carefully painting up to the edges. A bit tedious but does the job better than I found trying to fill painted panel lines with washes did (which is how errors get fixed anyway).

Here's a bad photo I've got on hand that shows how it comes out doing that so you can judge how well they pop.