Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

finally, the whetstone to sharpen the tools required to create your mom's dildo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/zcj5JCz.gifv

My science teachers all sucked.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

My high school chemistry teacher was doing a demo of putting sodium in water and we asked him why he was using such small pieces.

He pointed up to a scorch mark on the ceiling and said that's from last year when he did this same demo and physics teacher came over from next door and called him a coward for not using bigger pieces.

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

a kid in my high school stole a piece of sodium after a demo and hid it in his sweaty front pocket which burnt up his crotchal area

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

I'd also like to point out too that Aerial Saw (which is what a helicopter carrying those blades is called), while cool as gently caress to watch at work, is not nearly as effective in the long term as you'd think. Reason being is that, yes, aerial saws definitely cut back trees and what not but trees growing into power lines is a tiny, tiny proportion of outages. 1%-2% of outages are caused by grow ins. Spoilers for nerd poo poo: As the tips of the shoots near the power line, the power lines induces current flow in the tips of the shoots, killing the meristems.

The biggest causes of outages is usually mechanical interventions: that is, trees or bits of them failing and falling through power lines, snow loads/freezing rain/etc causing parts of trees to end up sagging onto power lines, or people themselves causing outages, eg somebody runs into a pole with a car. When you take an aerial saw to a right of way, you're not really trimming smartly and you can cut back huge amounts of the canopy of the trees, causing trees to die off left and right. Mature trees really can't take that much in the way of trimming (usually less than 1/4 of the canopy in good years), so inevitably with the aerial saw, someone has to go out at six months and mark more trees for cutting.

Also, aerial saw clean up can take a few days. Property owners tend to get pissed if you leave massive amounts of slash lying around. It can also send branches loving flying, so shrapnel is hazard for working near it, and it can and will damage structures. On top of that, it does nothing to mitigate a hazard trees set back from the right of way.

Oh, and it's a massive loving buzzsaw dangling from a helicopter.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Just saw a dude sitting on a dredging plow with a hammer and chisel cleaning it. No life jacket. No harness. Just dangling and moving about while the estuary beneath him raged.
Big loving nope.
Didn't take a picture because it was at night time but here's a dredging plow for reference. The maritime industry is a whole other level of OSHA we rarely get to see.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/JonahFurman/status/1448483622940446722

:kstare:

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Note: I say “strikebreakers” to absolve myself of any guilt for willingly participating in an attempted strike breaking

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
"I really identify with the poor skilled labor that's being driven from their jobs by management, oh and me who's helping management do it, but anyway, sure hope they pull through, we really aren't good at this job like they were, but anyway, I don't want to lose my salary so whatever."

Jfc

Woke Pinkertons are truly scum

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

well, I never

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
why would you quit when you can just do an unacceptably bad job instead?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Well as a responsible consumer I am buying no more John Deere tractors.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Reminder John Deere is so bad that they prompted several law changes over vehicle servicability because they were trying to sue people for repairing their own tractors and tried to get people charged with cyber crimes for disabling the tractors drm software (that stops you using aftermarket parts).

Anyway you can thank them for why Tesla can’t just remotely brick your vehicle if you use non-Tesla supplied tyres and similar.

Like you have to be a special kind of terrible to piss off so many farmers in so many states that both parties rally to solve the issue at a federal level.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Lmao my company has similar plans. I can't wait to see all the hosed up parts

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

It's because of poo poo like this I stick to owning vehicles built before 1980

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Mozi posted:

why would you quit when you can just do an unacceptably bad job instead?
This. If you quite, they get someone motivated.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

LifeSunDeath posted:

"I really identify with the poor skilled labor that's being driven from their jobs by management, oh and me who's helping management do it, but anyway, sure hope they pull through, we really aren't good at this job like they were, but anyway, I don't want to lose my salary so whatever."

Jfc

Woke Pinkertons are truly scum

The blue collar guys have a union. The white collar guys don't. I think the better thing to do is encourage professional unions and not poo poo on a guy who's not willing to get himself fired for a strike he didn't start and will give him no benefit if it's won. I think the best thing he can do is do whatever it is they have him doing really, really badly if only to underscore how dumb it is to try and use office managers and engineers as replacements for skilled industrial workers.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I feel like the best option for the "strikebreakers" here is to work to rule, the rule being "I'm badly undertrained for this role so I have to do it very slowly and most of my progress reports will be the words "sorry, I don't know how this works so I'm being careful""

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

If you read the follow up tweets the source straight up said "For us salaried who were chosen to do this, it was obey or get fired." Also "I'm rooting for the workers" and "If they hold out too long then you'll have us working up from scratch instead of finishing half-built machines and that poo poo's gonna be absolutely nightmare quality."

Basically it's part of why I really am not interested in getting promoted at my job. Once you go salaried you have no protections. The company can decide you're doing completely random bullshit for 72 hours (the strikebreaker said they're expecting 12x6 shifts) with no overtime pay and your only recourse is to quit.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 14, 2021

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Alkydere posted:

If you read the follow up tweets the source straight up said "For us salaried who were chosen to do this, it was obey or get fired." Also "I'm rooting for the workers" and "If they hold out too long then you'll have us working up from scratch instead of finishing half-built machines and that poo poo's gonna be absolutely nightmare quality."

Also, salaried workers filling in for striking hourly workers has been a standard procedure across all industries for generations. It's not like it's some uniquely evil thing that Deere invented.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Anyone buying Deere at this point instead of the variety of better imported tractors is basically the farm version of a Harley guy.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

One of the weirder moments at UPS was when they sat all the salaried employees down in an office and made us write form letters to our congressman encouraging them to pass a law that made it easier for FedEx workers to unionize.

Most management tactics at UPS consist of undermining the teamsters but corporate turned straight-up Marxist when there was an opportunity to gently caress up the competition.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

I guess they figured "we have to deal with the union so why shouldn't they?" It's a perverse version of unionizing.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/mKHFFu5.mp4

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why do none of their hoods close correctly

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

My guess is that every one of those cars has a long history of crashing into things

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Scratch Monkey posted:

The blue collar guys have a union. The white collar guys don't. I think the better thing to do is encourage professional unions and not poo poo on a guy who's not willing to get himself fired for a strike he didn't start and will give him no benefit if it's won. I think the best thing he can do is do whatever it is they have him doing really, really badly if only to underscore how dumb it is to try and use office managers and engineers as replacements for skilled industrial workers.

O.K., but have you considered this memo that makes me laugh every time I am reminded of it?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

PurpleXVI posted:

This reminds me of work a couple of days ago, where I'm coming out the back of the store to use the cardboard compactor when I see one of the department heads climbing out of it. Now, to their credit they had, for once, used the emergency stop before doing something that stupid. But if it was me, you could bet your rear end I'd have pulled the plug on the entire thing. I'd not be taking any loving risks just to climb in there and WD-40 the squeaky joints.

Lol this is what LOTTO is for

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

MattO posted:

a kid in my high school stole a piece of sodium after a demo and hid it in his sweaty front pocket which burnt up his crotchal area

Many who carry a Zippo lighter have experienced the ol' spicy pocket. Overfill the thing and you won't feel the chemical burn until it's too late. Enjoy your day of constantly chafing that area if you carry it in the watch pocket of your jeans. That'll teach you to be in a hurry.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/r07mGSZ.mp4

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

MattO posted:

A kid in my Jr high put LSD in his science teachers coffee and then got expelled after punching her in the face. He was then a teenage enforcer for a local gang until a town lawyer was stomped to death at his parents house during one of his many house parties. He was shipped off to France to play rugby where he turned his life around, became a successful athlete, opened a vineyard, and played/coached for our men's national rugby team before recently getting shitcanned for celebrating our women's national team losing a big game and making fun of survivors of abuse on Twitter.

Dillbag fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Oct 14, 2021

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Reply is not edit

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Strikebreaker is a weird way to spell scab.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Alkydere posted:

Basically it's part of why I really am not interested in getting promoted at my job. Once you go salaried you have no protections. The company can decide you're doing completely random bullshit for 72 hours (the strikebreaker said they're expecting 12x6 shifts) with no overtime pay and your only recourse is to quit.

gently caress I hate that "you're expected to work the hours required to complete your activities. don't worry you can work fewer hours in down times" bullshit

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mustached Demon posted:

Strikebreaker is a weird way to spell scab.

That's not what a scab is. A scab is someone who goes to work for a company while there is a strike. These are current, non-union employees who are being told to do this work. My mom did that while she worked for a pen company. The workers went on strike so she had to go from the office to work in the factory. There are still ways to support the strike by doing the bare minimum and sabotaging the actual scabs.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Platystemon posted:

O.K., but have you considered this memo that makes me laugh every time I am reminded of it?

Yeah, that was from Kickstarter management criticizing the Kickstarter Union effort.

https://gizmodo.com/leaked-memo-shows-kickstarter-senior-staffers-are-pushi-1833470597

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

ours made thermite and set it off in the school yard for christmas, was pretty fun. she also had cookies and coffee

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I suspect directly inflicting middle managers with the working conditions that caused the strike will not have the effects corporate leadership expects.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Do not grab the skulls and tell them to try LSD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Selklubber posted:

ours made thermite and set it off in the school yard for christmas, was pretty fun. she also had cookies and coffee

Yeah I remember doing this, too - maybe 8th grade chemistry. Just took some bowls with Aluminum and Iron Oxide (?am I getting this right?) and set it off in the school yard. Bowl of molten metal.