Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

MLSM posted:

Dave Chappelle has been the best comedian since George Carlin died.

He was mostly retired when Carlin passed and remained that way for half a decade

Like, Michael Jordan was probably just as good at basketball during that year where he played baseball but he wasn’t the best basketball player because he was a baseball player

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Stand Up Comedy is just kind of a lovely artform, like spoken word or interpretive dance. Even the most incisive George Carlin is about as enlightening as, like, an 80s sitcom.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DC Murderverse posted:

He was mostly retired when Carlin passed and remained that way for half a decade

Like, Michael Jordan was probably just as good at basketball during that year where he played baseball but he wasn’t the best basketball player because he was a baseball player

And that's why the Monstars spared him.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

MLSM posted:

Dave Chappelle has been the best comedian since George Carlin died.

Maybe if you post this a third time it'll suddenly make his latest special not absolute garbage sprinkled with bigotry and boring old rich man whining.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

While we're at it, late-era George Carlin where he turns into a misanthropic old fart is mostly pretty bad.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The worst part about Carlin is that he inadvertently convinced an entire generation of (generally male) comedians that they're rebellious modern philosophers speaking truth to power, no matter how lazy or mainstream their routines are.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Perestroika posted:

The worst part about Carlin is that he inadvertently convinced an entire generation of (generally male) comedians that they're rebellious modern philosophers speaking truth to power, no matter how lazy or mainstream their routines are.

They did all that convincing themselves, the thing about Carlin is that almost every comic says they're a Carlin worshipper.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Magic Hate Ball posted:

There are no good millionaires.

Nah. There are a few.

Like 100 plus million? Not so much no.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Sodomy Hussein posted:

They did all that convincing themselves, the thing about Carlin is that almost every comic says they're a Carlin worshipper.

And Carlin attacked Christians far harder than the edgy male comics do today.

But I suppose Christianity has always been one of the best breeding browns for abusers.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Perestroika posted:

If only they paid attention to the part where Carlin knew the drat difference between when he was just telling a silly joke and when he was treading into serious waters, and how he knew that having a platform comes with responsibilities and he respected that fact.

Every rear end in a top hat might want to think they're George Carlin, but most of them are really Andrew Dice Clay.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

sethsez posted:

Maybe if you post this a third time it'll suddenly make his latest special not absolute garbage sprinkled with bigotry and boring old rich man whining.

Maybe you should watch The Closer and come to your own conclusions?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

MLSM posted:

Jesus Christ. Shut the gently caress up. People do not need to consume transphobic content to prove whether it is transphobic or not.

Also I worked in a NYC comedy club for years and stand ups were literally scum of the earth and the least funny people imaginable.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I actually don't blame Pryor or Hicks or Carlin or Bruce for standup comedians overinflated opinions of themselves. I honestly believe it was the success of Trump, arguably the most successful standup comedian in history, that convinced them everything they thought or said was a gem.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

MLSM posted:

As someone who stood in the freezing cold to be the first one through the door at Dave's first show at First Ave. years back, and sat front row, got called on by Dave, and still has a cigarette butt he left on the stage.... no.

The last one wasn't that great, the ones prior were hit or miss. A lot of others have made great points that he's not rolling out jokes these days. It's much more meandering and loose. How much of any Chappelle special is him laughing at his own poo poo, doubling over and hitting the mic on his leg? He used to do that way back when, but now it's sooooo much of these specials.

I'm not really inclined to give the benefit of the doubt to someone who has proven himself to be insightful and intelligent, who then turns around and supports a billionaire white woman who has made one of the most famous franchises of all times and uses specific language (TERF) that is explicitly used for anti-trans nutbags. That means Dave is somewhat read on the topic, and formed his own opinion around THAT mindset. Would he be Team Homophobe? Team Racist?

Maybe if he decides to hone his craft at some point again, but until then he's just a crank with an audience and a Netflix deal.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Jesus Christ. Shut the gently caress up. People do not need to consume transphobic content to prove whether it is transphobic or not.

Also I worked in a NYC comedy club for years and stand ups were literally scum of the earth and the least funny people imaginable.

…how do you know its transphobic if you’ve never even seen it? Seems a bit intellectually dishonest on your part.

And plenty of trans people have defended Dave. Do you just casually dismiss them as well?

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

MLSM posted:

…how do you know its transphobic if you’ve never even seen it? Seems a bit intellectually dishonest on your part.

And plenty of trans people have defended Dave. Do you just casually dismiss them as well?

Why are you dismissing the pretty massive outcry from the trans/LGBTQ community or even the trans workers at Netflix who are planning a walkout. Cause that is what you are doing right now as you cherry pick random opinions to throw at people's faces

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
Goddamn my favorite part of this thread sure is when assholes come in here to defend pieces of poo poo. I sure do love it.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

MLSM posted:

Really think you’re doing something here, don’t you lol

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I actually don't blame Pryor or Hicks or Carlin or Bruce for standup comedians overinflated opinions of themselves. I honestly believe it was the success of Trump, arguably the most successful standup comedian in history, that convinced them everything they thought or said was a gem.

Nah, this has been happening for a while. You saw it with Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert.

I think it's our hyperinflated sense of who these people were. Did they challenge the norms she conventions of society? They did, but being comedians, they also had a shield - if they were funny, that was enough.

But when I hear people talk about George Carlin or Bill Hicks, it's rarely about what they said, but more often what they did or represent. To me, the danger with emulating that is you have to make sure you're not being transgressive just to push buttons - it has to come from a genuine place.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MLSM posted:

Do you believe in quotes? Secondary information? Or does the only thing that matters in your headspace what you experience yourself? Like do I have to read the Elders of Zion to believe that it is in fact not a good thing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Cemetry Gator posted:

Nah, this has been happening for a while. You saw it with Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert.

I think it's our hyperinflated sense of who these people were. Did they challenge the norms she conventions of society? They did, but being comedians, they also had a shield - if they were funny, that was enough.

But when I hear people talk about George Carlin or Bill Hicks, it's rarely about what they said, but more often what they did or represent. To me, the danger with emulating that is you have to make sure you're not being transgressive just to push buttons - it has to come from a genuine place.

Bill Maher is probably the most potent expression of this nauseating sentiment now that I think about it.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Shageletic posted:

Do you believe in quotes? Secondary information? Or does the only thing that matters in your headspace what you experience yourself? Like do I have to read the Elders of Zion to believe that it is in fact not a good thing.
or just basic pattern recognition. Chapelle was pretty dang sexist even when he was actually funny. So given that all his post revival stuff has been a slow slide in quality, it doesn't take a genius to predict he'll end up just being bigotry once all the funny evaporates.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Shageletic posted:

This goon is hysterically comparing Dave Chappelle to the loving Protocols of the Elders of Zion without an ounce of self-awareness. :discourse:

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

MLSM posted:

I have watched it.

It is tremendously transphobic, and his "I had a minority friend, let's all get along" coda rings incredibly hollow.

It's also terrible comedy with incredibly hacky punchlines, because Chappelle is far outside his comfort zone topics and doesn't have the insight to make any deeper observations.

Believe it or not, it's entirely possible for someone to watch that whole thing and come away with a conclusion different from yours.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

MLSM posted:

This goon is hysterically comparing Dave Chappelle to the loving Protocols of the Elders of Zion without an ounce of self-awareness. :discourse:
A fake text propagated for anti-semitic purposes? I dunno sounds like an exaggerated but not totally inappropriate comparison to "I had a trans friend who totally gave me a pass on all these jokes guys so shut up about it"

Boywhiz88 posted:

As someone who stood in the freezing cold to be the first one through the door at Dave's first show at First Ave. years back, and sat front row, got called on by Dave, and still has a cigarette butt he left on the stage.... no.
And, I agree with all this a ton. I watched one of his specials that came out like... 3 years ago? And it was just insanely lazy and full of self-congratulation over absolutely basic poo poo. He has some huge joke building up about a gay superhero with the whole punchline being that he would change his costume every time he goes out, because lol gays love fashion, but it takes him like five fuckin minutes to get the joke out. It could be a whatever one-liner and it'd be no big deal, but it does end up feeling offensive because he seems so utterly convinced that the idea of "lol the gays and their clothes" is worth that much hype for a super lazy joke.

Martman fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 14, 2021

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

MLSM posted:

Who's re-reg are you?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MLSM posted:

Dude you're saying you don't believe in secondary information. Why do you think seeing something is the only way to know something is bad, versus reading the transcripts? Are you actually an infant, and just haven't gained object permanence yet.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Flying Zamboni posted:

Who's re-reg are you?

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Flying Zamboni posted:

Who's re-reg are you?

No need to resort to conspiracy theories. :shepface:

Shageletic posted:

Dude you're saying you don't believe in secondary information. Why do you think seeing something is the only way to know something is bad, versus reading the transcripts? Are you actually an infant, and just haven't gained object permanence yet.

Fair enough, but the Elders of Zion thing was absurd.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Cemetry Gator posted:

But when I hear people talk about George Carlin or Bill Hicks, it's rarely about what they said, but more often what they did or represent.

Nobody remembers some of Hicks' material that not only didn't land, but was pretty sexist (or arguably homophobic). There was a bit he did, that I don't think was on any of the major records or videos but was featured in a book with transcripts of all of his material. It was basically that George Michael was "a big woman" and that any woman who was attracted to him was a lesbian. That was it, that was the bit. Although to his credit it didn't really appear in any future sets so he probably realized it didn't land or wasn't funny.

And Hicks did have an overinflated sense of self-worth, like he pitched a show one time that was about him and his stand-up buddies being the last hope for free thought or whatever. It'd just be him and his buddies in a parlor, smoking and drinking and discussing modern societal issues. The guy was funny, and he was doing what no other comic at the time was doing, but he had his own set of problems that people gloss over.

vv I mean yeah, there's a reason why people jokingly believed that Alex Jones was secretly Bill Hicks.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Oct 14, 2021

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Every Bill Hicks routine I’ve tried to listen to just sounds like Fox News, even when he’s on the right side of the issue. There’s just something about his delivery that hits very different now.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

MLSM posted:

No need to resort to conspiracy theories. :shepface:

Fair enough, but the Elders of Zion thing was absurd.

I'm not Jewish, but I still think that poo poo is horrible. I'm also gonna go on a limb and think saying proudly you're a TERF and don't believe transwomen are women is also horrible. I'm not interested in trying to measure the exact level of horribleness. It's just bad!

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Stand up is disposable, ages poorly and is quickly forgotten. Low art.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

porfiria posted:

Stand Up Comedy is just kind of a lovely artform, like spoken word or interpretive dance. Even the most incisive George Carlin is about as enlightening as, like, an 80s sitcom.

sponges posted:

Nah, y'all are conflating the absolute toxic shitshow of stand-up culture with the artform itself of just getting on a stage and trying to be entertaining. Stand-up and those other artforms mentioned are all cool and good. It's great seeing humans do interesting and different things.

It doesn't have to be enlightening to be meaningful either. Like Mitch Hedberg is a fantastic artist who has brought lots of joy to my life despite his material being objectively inane. There is plenty of criticism to lob at stand-ups' acts but saying the whole art is dumb sounds a lot like people who get really angry at Rothko or Pollock paintings.

I think there's just a lot more room to be an absolute shithead and spread awfulness when your artform is just literally making statements in front of an audience.

Ror fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 14, 2021

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

sponges posted:

Even the most iconic and famous bits, like Chris Rock's "n-word" sketch get misunderstood by the audience as carte blanche to now just say repellent things in daily life and to other people under the guise of "can't you take a joke?". There have been great routines that aged well, and some who are capable of tackling the really difficult subjects without taking cheap shots. Before his outing Louis CK was getting praise as one of the only comedians who was able to do a trans joke that wasn't punching down like it was the equivalent of pulling off a space launch.

That said, comedy especially comedy clubs are such an insular environment that it breeds a lot of the absolute worst people and propels them to stardom. I'll always remember Sebastian Maniscalco bombing super hard at the MTV awards when his entire routine was basically "safe space and SJWs" and finding out he's one of the highest paid "comics" working now.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 14, 2021

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Bill Maher is probably the most potent expression of this nauseating sentiment now that I think about it.

Bill Maher is loving satanic.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
After years of concern that I am a broken, humorless creature, I continue to be rewarded for not liking stand-up.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Das Boo posted:

After years of concern that I am a broken, humorless creature, I continue to be rewarded for not liking stand-up.

maybe you be shoppin?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
If you want a truly masterful comedian who isn't a TERF, isn't decades dead, is genuinely good at his job and never punches down, you should try Stewart Lee. And stop giving washed up dross like Chappelle the dignity of your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I like Jim Gaffigan. When he inevitably let the mask slip it was to poo poo on Trump and his fan base.