Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

happyhippy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbiW0yrnsLY

Here is the exact footage, but with a different voice on it for some reason.

Keeping a proud tradition of voice replacement in NI broadcasts alive

E: what a crap snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

happyhippy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbiW0yrnsLY

Here is the exact footage, but with a different voice on it for some reason.

They're not allowed to broadcast gerrymandering without dubbing it over :v:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Obligatory
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOUeauLWEaE

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Gripweed posted:

That article says that up to half of Britain could be rewilded.

no, it says campaigners want to rewild up to half of Britain, nothing about whether it’s actually practical, or even possible

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Oct 14, 2021

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The entire West coast of Scotland used to be rainforest, now it's been reduced to a few isolated pockets and replaced with bare moorland. We should start rewilding there, but it would probably involve Scot/UK governments actually doing some proper land reform to break up the huge Highland estates. Which the Scotgov wont do because they don't want to appear like radicals, and the UK gov won't do because that's where they go for their shooting holidays.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

When I was working up in Machynlleth there were a lot of "say NO to rewilding" signs around. I'll never understand people who think it's fine to carry on the way we are.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
They're doing fine the way we are.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

The entire West coast of Scotland used to be rainforest, now it's been reduced to a few isolated pockets and replaced with bare moorland. We should start rewilding there, but it would probably involve Scot/UK governments actually doing some proper land reform to break up the huge Highland estates. Which the Scotgov wont do because they don't want to appear like radicals, and the UK gov won't do because that's where they go for their shooting holidays.

The Highland Clearances, but this time it's good

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think they're trying to fill them with trees not clear them.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
I have finally been forced to let the DWP put my money in my bank account instead of on my Post Office card, and this sucks for many reasons, not least the fact that I can only take out £250 at a time with my debit card. I mean they give me this money because of my mobility issues, and now they make me get to the PO more than twice as often, pretty much ensuring I can never get anywhere else. They closed all the nearby bank branches years ago, so that's not a good alternative. The local supermarkets are booked up for deliveries weeks in advance so I can't rely on that for all my shopping. It's really poo poo and I should like to know what the gently caress was wrong with post office cards. :argh:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I think they're trying to fill them with trees not clear them.

Yes but sadly we haven't found a way for trees and landlords to coexist, so they'll have to go

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
This should please people who can't afford to buy houses in the places that they grew up.

https://twitter.com/BigB0bbyT/status/1448656216293400584

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh dear me posted:

I have finally been forced to let the DWP put my money in my bank account instead of on my Post Office card, and this sucks for many reasons, not least the fact that I can only take out £250 at a time with my debit card. I mean they give me this money because of my mobility issues, and now they make me get to the PO more than twice as often, pretty much ensuring I can never get anywhere else. They closed all the nearby bank branches years ago, so that's not a good alternative. The local supermarkets are booked up for deliveries weeks in advance so I can't rely on that for all my shopping. It's really poo poo and I should like to know what the gently caress was wrong with post office cards. :argh:

Is that just your bank card has a withdrawal limit? Your bank might be able to raise that for you if you ask?

E: also mine had a £250 withdrawal limit but I don't think that was a spending limit just that you can't take more than that out at a cash machine at once.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Rewilding can be pretty loving easy- just simply sit and watch and leave it alone and land just gets eaten up by whatever else is growing nearby/what seeds get shat out by things and after a few years it's properly wild again and the birds and bugs and beasts will start to exert their dominium

That's what happened with the old farmland I work- it got covered over with poplar/oak/blackthorn/bramble because that's a large chunk of whats around- I plant in other species of stuff to diversify things and clear out areas/chop back tree at the right times of year so that meadow and hedgerow exist, otherwise it would just be entirely thick woodland/bramble within a few years and that would be fine but I like a bit of variety as do the things that live there

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Oh dear me posted:

It's really poo poo and I should like to know what the gently caress was wrong with post office cards. :argh:
The british state is collapsing so they can no longer trust their accounts.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is it the heather burning/sheep that keep the moors clear? There's miles upon miles without a tree in sight.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

DesperateDan posted:

Rewilding can be pretty loving easy- just simply sit and watch and leave it alone and land just gets eaten up by whatever else is growing nearby/what seeds get shat out by things and after a few years it's properly wild again and the birds and bugs and beasts will start to exert their dominium

That's what happened with the old farmland I work- it got covered over with poplar/oak/blackthorn/bramble because that's a large chunk of whats around- I plant in other species of stuff to diversify things and clear out areas/chop back tree at the right times of year so that meadow and hedgerow exist, otherwise it would just be entirely thick woodland/bramble within a few years and that would be fine but I like a bit of variety as do the things that live there

Still need a bit of guiding it.
Japanese Knotweed is a menace all over the place atm, taking over the place like the green meteor poo poo in Creep Show.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Is that just your bank card has a withdrawal limit? Your bank might be able to raise that for you if you ask?

Yes, that's what it is, but I asked once before and they said no, it cannot be raised. I'll try again though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would also again really check if it's a withdrawal limit or a spending limit, because unless you have to withdraw large amounts of cash from ATMs you should still be able to make big purchases with it I think?

Might also maybe get better results if you can arrange to talk to someone a bit more senior than frontline staff.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

OwlFancier posted:

Is it the heather burning/sheep that keep the moors clear? There's miles upon miles without a tree in sight.

Also deer, which eat everything that isn't fort knox fenced off.

Hence why we should bring back wolves (or at the very least Lynx) to keep those smug deer pricks in check.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yes but sadly we haven't found a way for trees and landlords to coexist, so they'll have to go

I can think of a way for trees to support landlords

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Also deer, which eat everything that isn't fort knox fenced off.

Hence why we should bring back wolves (or at the very least Lynx) to keep those smug deer pricks in check.

Eh, I know wolves are supposed to have other effects but I would happily eat all the deer if they need someone to eat them and I'm sure there are others who would too. And were I a deer I would rather be shot and et than chased down by wolves.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

See if you can work out the subtle subtext here, might be you're not intelligent enough to spot it:

https://twitter.com/pdkmitchell/status/1448616334510772224

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I would also again really check if it's a withdrawal limit or a spending limit, because unless you have to withdraw large amounts of cash from ATMs you should still be able to make big purchases with it I think?

I think it is a withdrawal limit, but I can't easily get to places where I could spend a lot of money, particularly now I have to spend more of my good days trudging to the PO. I can't buy food in bulk because I've nowhere to store it. They are just making life impossible for decrepit paupers. So what is new, I suppose.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh dear me posted:

I think it is a withdrawal limit, but I can't easily get to places where I could spend a lot of money, particularly now I have to spend more of my good days trudging to the PO. I can't buy food in bulk because I've nowhere to store it. They are just making life impossible for decrepit paupers. So what is new, I suppose.

Then I'm not sure what the issue with the limit is if you aren't spending lots of money at once and presumably would be making purchases digitally anyway?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/CrimeLdn/status/1448639030804062208

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon
Thank god Labour finally have a serious PM in waiting, 20 points ahead here we... oh:

https://twitter.com/ElectionMapsUK/status/1448654778372800530?s=20

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

OwlFancier posted:

Eh, I know wolves are supposed to have other effects but I would happily eat all the deer if they need someone to eat them and I'm sure there are others who would too. And were I a deer I would rather be shot and et than chased down by wolves.

OK sure, but then you are also adding in the additional carbon cost of... shooting the deer, transporting the carcasses, ensuring that the meat is fit of human consumption, packaging and selling the meat (which would be pretty expensive). A lot cheaper to just let loose some big canines/cats in the mountains and primordial woodlands to chase all the deer away.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

OK sure, but then you are also adding in the additional carbon cost of... shooting the deer, transporting the carcasses, ensuring that the meat is fit of human consumption, packaging and selling the meat (which would be pretty expensive). A lot cheaper to just let loose some big canines/cats in the mountains and primordial woodlands to chase all the deer away.

I mean if we're looking at a fully planned out society I would suggest that shooting free range deer would be potentially a decent way to get ethically sourced meat to help supplement people's diets.

And if we're looking to rewild places then that could be an incentive to have more habitats for them around the place, people get access to the food it produces.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

So in London you've got:

- the fake police that will rob you

- the police police who will rape or kill you

- the bus drivers, who are now entrusted with the safety and protection of all women

Haven't figured out how the lollipop ladies fit into all of this yet :thunk:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Haven't figured out how the lollipop ladies fit into all of this yet :thunk:

If they're stopping you from making adequate progress in your vehicle you can just drag them to the side of the road these days

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

No, moors are areas with an environment that can't support trees - either through lack of nutrients (e.g. most of the Yorkshire Moors), an underlying soil or rock layer that means it's impossible for big root systems to form (Dartmoor, the Isle of Wight), soil that's too acid and/or waterlogged (most of the Lancashire and Welsh moorland), too-high prevailing winds (Northumbria) or a combination of those. They're basically the damp equivalent of the tundra or the savannah - apart from isolated islands trees are (literally) unable to take root.

Of course in some cases those conditions came about because of deforestation, but mostly it's a natural phenomenon. Salisbury Plain for example (which for some reason nobody ever classifies as a moor, possibly because "moor" sounds so working class compared to "heath" or "plain") has been clear of trees longer than humans have lived here, thanks to only having less than half a metre of decent soil over a layer of chalk - the rapid erosion that this underlying chalk causes (because rainfall can only run off along the surface) combined with the elevation means that that soil layer really can't get any thicker, either.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Then I'm not sure what the issue with the limit is if you aren't spending lots of money at once and presumably would be making purchases digitally anyway?

I fear this is not exactly interesting for the thread so I won't explain everything in depth, but I have to use cash for my electricity (my biggest regular expense), and cash is also useful to give to people who go to the shops for me.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Anyone in or near Enfield? If so, there's an improvised comedy cabaret next week:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Ah ok that makes sense. I hope they can raise your limit at least then.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

fuctifino posted:

Anyone in or near Enfield? If so, there's an improvised comedy cabaret next week:

Only interested if it's like Bane's court in the Dark Knight Rises.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

No, moors are areas with an environment that can't support trees - either through lack of nutrients (e.g. most of the Yorkshire Moors), an underlying soil or rock layer that means it's impossible for big root systems to form (Dartmoor, the Isle of Wight), soil that's too acid and/or waterlogged (most of the Lancashire and Welsh moorland), too-high prevailing winds (Northumbria) or a combination of those. They're basically the damp equivalent of the tundra or the savannah - apart from isolated islands trees are (literally) unable to take root.

Of course in some cases those conditions came about because of deforestation, but mostly it's a natural phenomenon. Salisbury Plain for example (which for some reason nobody ever classifies as a moor, possibly because "moor" sounds so working class compared to "heath" or "plain") has been clear of trees longer than humans have lived here, thanks to only having less than half a metre of decent soil over a layer of chalk - the rapid erosion that this underlying chalk causes (because rainfall can only run off along the surface) combined with the elevation means that that soil layer really can't get any thicker, either.

That makes sense for yorkshire cos yeah I go walking on the edge of the tableland that forms it and the soil is very thin, almost sand or ash, on a thick plate of stone.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I took this picture on top of the highest hill in Northumberland last week. Best of luck to any tree that wants to try and grow in a place where you get a NeverEnding Story-level swamp at the top of an (almost) mountain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

fuctifino posted:

Please tell me The Pavillion is actually just a bandstand in the middle of the park.